Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 29-10-2019, 20:27   #81
Mevlock
XBL - Mevlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivebyfive View Post
I'm not invalidating anyone's points. Just pointing out some on the internet act its recent thing that only happened with the world got "woke" Its a good thing that its not just white males on screen but when you have **** like ghostbusters 2016 and any criticism of the film is shouted down as "sexist" then there is a problem. Also the **** that hated the film because it had 4 women in is a problem as well. But that gets ignored...
Agree with much of this. Especially Ghostbusters. It was awful.

But raising the fact that some people think strong women are a recent phenomena in movies just seemed rather irrelevant to what was being discussed at that point in the thread. Seemed a bit "whataboutery"

Quote:
No, I'm not "shutting down" anyway, its civilised reply to a debate.
That wasn't aimed at you. I thought lentini's post was rather awful tbh. Read as if he thought women should just shut up about terrible female representation in cinema, take what they're given by Hollywood and enjoy it too. Sorry lentni if that's not what you meant, but that's how it read to me.

Quote:
I hope films, tv shows and even games get go back being about entertainment. (Crazy I know) Where you can create a story eg about girl that beats up vampires in 2019/2020 and not be about some agenda or make the men look stupid to build up the opposite sex (aka star trek discovery season 2).
In many ways I agree with this. There is often too much of an obvious "agenda" in films/show these days. It just results in lot of eye rolling from me.

Just to add I personally don't think there's anything wrong with addressing, sexism, racism and other serious issues even in light weight pieces of mass entertainment. The problem however is that much of Hollywood and Televison too seems to treat it's audience today as if we're not capable of dealing with nuance. So instead of dealing with it in a reasonable and entertaining manner they bludgeon us over the head with it and all that does is enforce a feeling that we being force fed a political/social agenda.

Last edited by Mevlock; 29-10-2019 at 20:40.
Mevlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2019, 21:46   #82
wasted
Movie buff & Runner

Totally loved it, and was so pleased it skipped the other films and it felt like a direct follow up to T2. It could never live up to being a follow up to T2 which was one of the best films ever but it was good enough. It tried to be like T2, it was not but it felt like a proper sequil to T2. Going with the female role, why not, women are just as strong as men in a different way. Only thing wrong with the film was it was a bit CGI heavy and some of it was not great, story was nice, I was very happy with what ended up with the real follow up to T2. Also mrs wasted loved it
Old 29-10-2019, 22:06   #83
Raigmore
Ambassador to Earth

Quote:
The same thing occurred to me. One explanation could be that

Last edited by Raigmore; 29-10-2019 at 22:07.
Raigmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
fivebyfive (30-10-2019)
Old 30-10-2019, 11:47   #84
gZa
Trusted User

Quote:
One thing about the film thats not mention that was done well was the

I missed this bit (I think) can anyone explain...

Last edited by gZa; 30-10-2019 at 11:53.
gZa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2019, 12:59   #85
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Quote:
Originally Posted by gZa View Post

It was just some technobabble about weather. Also, how someone in the future knew the Carl was doing this and gave grace the co-ordinates [spoiler]
Old 30-10-2019, 13:20   #86
cliff homewood
Trusted User

This years films sounds like a football score - Terminator 6 - Rambo 5.
cliff homewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2019, 16:30   #87
gZa
Trusted User

Except they don't mention the number anymore. What's the last legitimate sequel with the number in the title that's greater than 3, Fast and Furious 8? They've even shied away from using them for Star Wars.
gZa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2019, 16:43   #88
shteve
[o]EvilTwinkle

Toy Story 4?
gZa (30-10-2019)
Old 30-10-2019, 17:00   #89
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mevlock View Post
In many ways I agree with this. There is often too much of an obvious "agenda" in films/show these days. It just results in lot of eye rolling from me.

Just to add I personally don't think there's anything wrong with addressing, sexism, racism and other serious issues even in light weight pieces of mass entertainment. The problem however is that much of Hollywood and Televison too seems to treat it's audience today as if we're not capable of dealing with nuance. So instead of dealing with it in a reasonable and entertaining manner they bludgeon us over the head with it and all that does is enforce a feeling that we being force fed a political/social agenda.
Its like in the last xmen film about the line they should be called x-women, it was poorly written and also trying to get some internet points for something that is trendy as the minute. One of the YT critics i sometimes watch mentioned he is writing film scripts and has been told to put something that is current EVEN when its not relevant to the film (like the crappy horror film of countdown).

I agree sometimes is hitting the viewer over the head or sometimes its plain misandry (which is popular at the minute)
Old 30-10-2019, 21:05   #90
Raigmore
Ambassador to Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by gZa View Post

This is somewhat similar to the point that fivebyfive raised. You have to remember that T6 is really supposed to follow events and timelines of T1 & T2 only and ignores all events in T3, T4 and T5.

My guess would be that
Old 30-10-2019, 22:26   #91
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Thanked 1,229 Times in 871 Posts
Why are they always trying to kill Sarah Conner, wouldn't it be easier to go back to cowboy times and kill her Great Grandmother? Now that's a Terminator film I'd pay to see
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2019, 22:46   #92
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,536 Times in 501 Posts
Agreed.

Cowboys & Aliens v Predator v Terminator
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2019, 07:12   #93
driver8
eviscerate your memory

Thanked 2,165 Times in 925 Posts
driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2019, 10:59   #94
Raigmore
Ambassador to Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jockosjungle View Post
Why are they always trying to kill Sarah Conner, wouldn't it be easier to go back to cowboy times and kill her Great Grandmother? Now that's a Terminator film I'd pay to see
"They" cannot access records that don't exist. Remember, the original Terminator had to look-up Sarah Connor on the telephone directory (love that scene when Arnie the T throws the ex-hippie out of the booth). Maybe Sarah Connor was adopted and no one knows who her real parents are.
Old 31-10-2019, 11:01   #95
Jedibitch
XBL - groovephil

Saw this last night and quite enjoyed it, suitably brutal and miles better than anything else we've had since T2.

I didn't like you very much when I met you and now I like you even less.

The Wonder Stuff
Jedibitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2019, 11:24   #96
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raigmore View Post
"They" cannot access records that don't exist. Remember, the original Terminator had to look-up Sarah Connor on the telephone directory (love that scene when Arnie the T throws the ex-hippie out of the booth). Maybe Sarah Connor was adopted and no one knows who her real parents are.
Skynet could always go back to just after judgement day and make sure not to leave anyone alive this time.

Problem is Skynet needs John C to exist as terminator parts and tech were used to build it Skynet (according to T2) John C won't exist without Skynet sending back a terminator followed by kyle reese (according to T1); writers really painted themselves into a corner.

The whole the future is not set crap was just that.
Spaceranger2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2019, 11:30   #97
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceranger2001 View Post
Problem is Skynet needs John C to exist as terminator parts and tech were used to build it Skynet (according to T2) John C won't exist without Skynet sending back a terminator followed by kyle reese (according to T1); writers really painted themselves into a corner.
I must have missed that bit in T2.

From what I remember, Cyberdyne(?) were already working on the AI without John C or the Terminator involvement. They convinced the black guy to blow up the tech and Arnie had to melt to leave no trace of the tech.

Or was the tech based on the hand/arm of the original Terminator?

Last edited by AdamBrunt; 31-10-2019 at 11:45.
AdamBrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2019, 12:16   #98
Dno
StolenBadger

I went in with rock-bottom expectations, but found I enjoyed it on the whole. As said by a few people, it's easily 'the 3rd best Terminator', but it's hard to imagine this being talked about much down the line. I also found this to be a case of a frankly awful trailer doing a disservice to the end result.

It was very much a series of 'good bits' and 'bad bits' for me looking back though:

Good bit - The terminator ripping through the prison guards felt nasty and efficient.
Bad bit - CG leaping around nonsense. Seriously, why do studios insist on doing this, it never works.

Good bit -
felt well delivered, and poignant in a number of ways.
Bad bit -
from Connor on the freeway was fan-service crap, and cheapened the above line a little.

etc..
Dno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2019, 14:08   #99
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

I rewatched the end of sarah connor chronicles and if people have not seen it then you are missing out. Shame they will never finish the story as s2 finishes on cliff hanger. (s2 could of done with some episodes cut as there is a bit of padding in the middle) Its up there with the 1st and 2nd films. Also its not just protect the saviour of human race as builds on it. Which the franchise really needs to get past in dark fate they even copy

Salvation was pretty cack but at least they moved away from modern day setting and terminator sent back to protect john

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceranger2001 View Post
Skynet could always go back to just after judgement day and make sure not to leave anyone alive this time.

The whole the future is not set crap was just that.
it could be skynet will build the terminators but they would of been a bit crappier, like the windows vista versions but yeah the writers did write themself in the corner
Old 31-10-2019, 14:30   #100
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBrunt View Post
I must have missed that bit in T2.

From what I remember, Cyberdyne(?) were already working on the AI without John C or the Terminator involvement. They convinced the black guy to blow up the tech and Arnie had to melt to leave no trace of the tech.

Or was the tech based on the hand/arm of the original Terminator?
They were using the broken chip and arm from the first terminator, the deleted scenes in terminator 1 show the building where the first terminator gets squished belongs to Cyberdyne. And they went with this idea for T2. Destroying everything was to supposed to stop judgement day and in the deleted ending from T2 we see old SC happy the JD never happened; however this still does not work as without Skynet existing Kyle Reese need not go back though time therefore John the son of Kyle Reese is never conceived.
Spaceranger2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
AdamBrunt (31-10-2019)