Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 10-03-2019, 14:51   #61
cjanderson
2 phalanxs and a catapult

it was fairly clear that JL was the captain/leader of their squad (and her mentor). Didn't get any hint of romance there.
cjanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 15:08   #62
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,536 Times in 501 Posts
Fair enough. They were quite flirty when they were training near the start. Just wondered.
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 16:36   #63
MaxNutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bear View Post
Fair enough. They were quite flirty when they were training near the start. Just wondered.
The only thing Yon-Rogg put inside Vers was his blood.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 11-03-2019, 08:04   #64
Hood
HipHopPotamus

I saw it on Saturday with my daughter and we both thoroughly enjoyed it. Plenty of laughs and unusually for a superhero movie, a strong exciting action driven final third. The cast were all good value and being the age I am I obviously loved the 90s setting and the music.

I'm surprised by the rather muted response of the professional critics to the film. They went nuts for Black Panther and I enjoyed it myself but I found Captain Marvel a more entertaining experience.
Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 08:58   #65
neilalford
I angered a crow

Saw it yesterday (first time I've seen a Marvel film in the cinema but intending to watch Endgame in the cinema to avoid spoilers so thought I'd make sure I was up to speed), really enjoyed it, was a little confused at the beginning about her origins but obviously that was kind of the point and all explained later. Thought the final act was great though, really felt like the film (and the character) were just really having fun and that worked well. Soundtrack really helped as well, as I'm just the right age.

Also, great moments with Goose experiencing varying levels of G-force and of course the Stan Lee cameo (is that the first time he's been verifiably Stan Lee in his cameo?).
neilalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 09:26   #66
farmroad38
Ho hum...

We saw it on Saturday night, and I thought it was brilliant, straight up into my top 5 Marvel films.

I managed to avoid any reviews before I'd seen it, but reading one yesterday they were saying it was average, and nowhere near as good as the "superb" Black Panther. Like Hood, I just don't get that, I'd say it was exactly the opposite.
farmroad38 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 09:58   #67
TonyG
Xbox Live: Tony Gster

I thought it was entertaining throughout & overall very good. I'd probably put it mid-table in my Marvel Movie League. Certainly a much better movie than Black Panther.

Normally origin stories can be basic & dull, but they did a really good job keeping this interesting with plenty of twists & mystery. Great chemistry & banter between the two leads, solid 90's soundtrack, plenty of chuckles & decent action scenes.

The only small gripe I have is the last act action was over too quickly & was a little lacking in the BIG spectacle department. Also once she got fully-powered, it suffered from the "Superman" factor and made her so indestructible, that it drained all the tension from the last act...
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 10:04   #68
oldskool
Trusted User

I thought it was fine, not great... but not by any stretch of the imagination terrible and a fun way to spend a couple of hours.

There seems to be a problem these days whereby people seem to lump films into "It was the best film ever" or "Oh my god it was absolute hot garbage, you should be ashamed and everyone involved in making it should kill themselves now to spare the world any more of their dreck",

People don't seem to have any thought of a middle ground any more.

Like Hood...was it great? Of course not.

Was it a fun silly way to spend a couple of hours....sure

Last edited by oldskool; 11-03-2019 at 10:15.
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 10:25   #69
Hood
HipHopPotamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskool View Post
There seems to be a problem these days whereby people seem to lump films into "It was the best film ever" or "Oh my god it was absolute hot garbage", people don't seem to have any thought of a middle ground any more.
There are far too many people that go to watch something determined to love or hate it rather than take it on it's own terms. It must be exhausting for these people to watch everything through the agendas in their minds.
Old 11-03-2019, 11:58   #70
mikef
Trusted User

Must say I really enjoyed it....and yes i clapped when I saw Alta Vista up on the big screen....
mikef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 12:12   #71
MaxNutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikef View Post
Must say I really enjoyed it....and yes i clapped when I saw Alta Vista up on the big screen....
Big fan of 90s search engines?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 11-03-2019, 15:41   #72
JimDriver2
Trusted User

I was really surprised with how good this was. I've seen every MCU film, thought a few were very good (first Avengers, Civil War, Ragnarok, Infinity War) most have been decent to good and only a few have been a bit poor (Thor 2 in particular). However because the reviews for this were a little mixed I was surprised to find this was IMO one of the very best MCU films, and probably the best when it comes to introducing a new character.

It was a bold choice to do the whole alien world first act, given how that approach has misfired a bunch of times. The fractured story and jumps back and forward worked very well and seemed very 90's. Larson was excellent and SLJ seemed more engaged in an MCU film than he has for years. I thought they did an excellent job introducing and covering a lot of the backstory and was fairly surprised by how the story changed.

Maybe most surprising was it felt like the first MCU film that was willing to properly dabble with a little bit of subtext. It also handled the fact that Captain Marvel was the MCU's first female hero really well, not making a big deal about it at all.

My only guess about the mixed reviews was that critics (correctly) predicted the depressing anti-female hero backlash this would get in the current climate and knew if they labelled it as great (like they did a little too much with Black Panther) then they'd just get attacked for being 'too woke'. It's a really sad world we live in that blockbuster cinema is now a political pawn and gets dragged into all these stupid narratives.
JimDriver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 15:45   #73
allan
Trusted User

It was ok by the numbers but mostly boring and "seen it all before" type action. I actually fell asleep at one point which is impressive for a Saturday lunchtime.
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 16:54   #74
Hood
HipHopPotamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDriver2 View Post
My only guess about the mixed reviews was that critics (correctly) predicted the depressing anti-female hero backlash this would get in the current climate and knew if they labelled it as great (like they did a little too much with Black Panther) then they'd just get attacked for being 'too woke'. It's a really sad world we live in that blockbuster cinema is now a political pawn and gets dragged into all these stupid narratives.
It goes to show that the vast majority of cinema goers don't care what critics or bigoted keyboard warriors think or do. This has had some sniffy reviews and has been subject to a pathetic campaign to make it fail by internet man babies but it's done a $450m+ opening weekend and seemingly the vast majority that went to see it had a great time with it.
Thanked once by:
Wooglie (11-03-2019)
Old 12-03-2019, 22:01   #75
Taq
Evil Scientist

Just come back from seeing this and thought it was great fun from start to finish. I didn't read any reviews beforehand.
Old 13-03-2019, 08:07   #76
wolfkiller
The naturalist chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan View Post
It was ok by the numbers but mostly boring and "seen it all before" type action. I actually fell asleep at one point which is impressive for a Saturday lunchtime.
Very much 'by the numbers'. Nothing bad about it. Nothing more than a vehicle to introduce a new character. Brings nothing else to the wider MCU. Lacks the humour and any of the scope of the other space-based films. A backwards slip.
wolfkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 11:13   #77
The Bear

Listened to Kermode's review this morning and I agree with what he says pretty much 100%.
Old 13-03-2019, 11:18   #78
allan
Trusted User

Can you elaborate without us having to listen?
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 11:37   #79
JimDriver2
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan View Post
Can you elaborate without us having to listen?
He liked it but didn't think it was as good as Wonder Woman. Felt you couldn't see the director's personal style in it as much as you could in Black Panther and Ragnarok. Didn't think it stood as well on it's own as some other MCU films do. Was impressed by the SLJ de-aging CG. Qualified everything he said though by saying that as a 50+ year old man he probably wasn't the main intended audience. Thought the narrative wasn't clear enough and you couldn't keep track of what exactly was happening, particularly who the different people were.

Mayo was really positive about it though.

I think a disagree with him on most of his criticism except the stuff about the director's stamp. I loved their previous two films and did think they'd been given less leeway than some other MCU directors.

I definitely think it's better than Wonder Woman (which I liked) and that it definitely stands on it's own. Compared to some MCU films it felt far, far less like it needed to set up a whole load of future films. Also the lack of clarity about the narrative is clearly intended given the main character has memory loss and her enemies are shape shifters!
JimDriver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 12:07   #80
The Bear

I liked Wonder Woman better. A much more coherent film IMO.