Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Old 06-01-2018, 17:47   #1681
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

If you're going to think of it like that .... VvD, Keita and Salah in the team looks a lot better than a team with Klavan/Lovren, Henderson/Can and Coutinho in it to me And you could argue that Sakho's £30M fee paid for Salah.

FSG and Klopp's argument in the summer was mainly that it was too late to sell - hopefully they have been planning his replacement(s) ever since.

Last edited by AdamBrunt; 06-01-2018 at 17:48.
AdamBrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 17:48   #1682
stu_69
prohibido

Stupid decision.

Why wonít Can sign a new deal?

Any news on what happened between hollgate and Firmino?
stu_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 17:54   #1683
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie G View Post
So week in and out these pundits are saying a player is entitled to go down because there was contact, and Sky spend hours a week analysing slow motion to try to see what contact there is, and now all of a sudden they've remembered that football is actually a contact sport.
I thought it was a soft pen, but still a pen; he had has arm across him holding him back. My point was more about how for months all I hear on the TV and radio from pundits saying a player is entitled to go down because there was contact, which I have always disagreed with. It IS a contact sport, but it seems Shearer and co only suddenly remembered yesterday and spend most of the half time talking about it. Anyhoo, always good to win.

Not suprised about Coutinho, despite the assurances from some of you lot in here that he wouldn't go until the summer! Disappointing, but a fair price IMO. I just hope the £140 odd million is up from and not stagard like the previous offers, and that we do bring some more players in.

Could do with VvD telling Klopp how **** his keepers are and that he needs a good, reliable and confident keeper playing behind him.
Old 06-01-2018, 17:54   #1684
saltysam
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBrunt View Post
If you're going to think of it like that .... VvD, Keita and Salah in the team looks a lot better than a team with Klavan/Lovren, Henderson/Can and Coutinho in it to me And you could argue that Sakho's £30M fee paid for Salah.

FSG and Klopp's argument in the summer was mainly that it was too late to sell - hopefully they have been planning his replacement(s) ever since.
Seriously,do you work for FSG?if not,you should do. 2 weeks ago you were saying no chance he's going in January,now he's offski you are trying to spin it into a positive of some sort. There's nothing positive about selling a world class player (unless you are FSG)

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Last edited by saltysam; 06-01-2018 at 17:56.
saltysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 18:02   #1685
stu_69
prohibido

Iím more worried about the glaringly, obvious that Liverpool are better with Can than Henderson starting in the middle. Can is a way better option protecting the back 4 than Henderson. If heís off in the summer, Klopp should play him every game. Just work him to the bone and get some value out of him before heís off to Italy.

We play ok without coutinho at the moment but heís that player that can make a difference, heís got that spark about him which canít be replaced. Saying we have money to bring in players is laughable as who can replace that? It was the same with Suarez - him leaving changed the team. The way we played and also other players attitude.

If Liverpool donít buy a new keeper this month, I might have to consider my allegiance. I donít care if the new keeper costs £142m just get someone good in goal.
Old 06-01-2018, 18:05   #1686
saltysam
Trusted User

Can was terrible last night and one point had a bit of a set to with a fan who must've said something when he screwed up and ran the ball out of play. He's definitely off but tbf i admire him more than Coutinho,he hasn't strung us along,he's never looked like signing that contract, wheras Phil was signing a 5 year no release one less than 12 months ago and "professing" how happy he was here.
Old 06-01-2018, 18:08   #1687
stu_69
prohibido

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltysam View Post
Can was terrible last night and one point had a bit of a set to with a fan who must've said something when he screwed up and ran the ball out of play. He's definitely off but tbf i admire him more than Coutinho,he hasn't strung us along,he's never looked like signing that contract, wheras Phil was signing a 5 year no release one less than 12 months ago and "professing" how happy he was here.

Can is still a better option when teams are playing counter attack.
Old 06-01-2018, 19:16   #1688
stu_69
prohibido

Itís not even $142m all in. Itís made up of incentives and add ons.
Old 06-01-2018, 19:17   #1689
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Seriously,do you work for FSG?if not,you should do. 2 weeks ago you were saying no chance he's going in January,now he's offski you are trying to spin it into a positive of some sort. There's nothing positive about selling a world class player (unless you are FSG)

I wish I was; I would probably be earning a lot more than I currently am

My stance has always been it would be crazy to sell this month but that we only had a 5 months left with him regardless.

Like you, however, I have a lot more respect for Can than Coutinho and, arguably, in terms of the how the team plays Can will be a bigger loss than Coutinho - unless Klopp sees Keita as Can's replacement.

I also have no problem with selling one world class player if it means you are able to transform the team in its weak areas.

Last edited by AdamBrunt; 06-01-2018 at 19:22.
Old 06-01-2018, 19:19   #1690
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu_69 View Post
Itís not even $142m all in. Itís made up of incentives and add ons.
It is £142M. £105M up front and the rest in practically guaranteed add-ons ( unlike the add-ons that they proposed last summer )
Old 06-01-2018, 19:25   #1691
saltysam
Trusted User

It should have been £142 million all up front or no sale.we held all the cards here.if we don't reinvest pretty much straight away,while in the last 16 of CL, well positioned in top 4 battle and still in FA cup then it would mean that we've deliberately weakened ourselves for money.

Old 06-01-2018, 19:26   #1692
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Thanked 1,229 Times in 871 Posts
I think pretty much every deal includes add-ons doesn't it? It's sort of a stage payment thing, I remember Forest in hard times would drop a player rather than pay out on a goal stage payment or something.

I think they had to sell him this window, might have been nice for you if you'd got to keep him until the summer, otherwise the whole thing would have dragged on again.

I don't see how you had all the cards? If a player wants to go there isn't much you can really do unless you're prepared to pay him not to play.

Last edited by jockosjungle; 06-01-2018 at 19:28.
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 19:35   #1693
Lee Brown
The Kraken Awakes!

Quote:
Any news on what happened between hollgate and Firmino?
Sounds like Hollgate misheard Firmino say something racist, and he told the referee. Ref then included it in his match report so the FA are obliged to investigate, which is due to take place this week.

Did it happen? Firmino certainly swore in his face (and rightly given the ridiculous shove in the back), and I'd expect that (as it was right in the ref's face) there would be actual witnesses to anything said so it should be easily provable either way.

The Mirror reported it was misunderstanding which was settled at halftime, but presumably the FA investigate anyway given the allegation.
Lee Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 19:51   #1694
stu_69
prohibido

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Brown View Post
Sounds like Hollgate misheard Firmino say something racist, and he told the referee. Ref then included it in his match report so the FA are obliged to investigate, which is due to take place this week.

Did it happen? Firmino certainly swore in his face (and rightly given the ridiculous shove in the back), and I'd expect that (as it was right in the ref's face) there would be actual witnesses to anything said so it should be easily provable either way.

The Mirror reported it was misunderstanding which was settled at halftime, but presumably the FA investigate anyway given the allegation.

Thanks.

I still canít believe hollgate didnít get booked. I remember a few years back a player got shoved into the stands and cracked his skull. The fa went all out to crack down on off the ball crap. Firminho had every right to retaliate (despite the sky pundits claims otherwise) and the fact the ref did nothing is just nonsense.
Old 06-01-2018, 20:30   #1695
Lee Brown
The Kraken Awakes!

Quote:
Thanks.

I still canít believe hollgate didnít get booked. I remember a few years back a player got shoved into the stands and cracked his skull. The fa went all out to crack down on off the ball crap. Firminho had every right to retaliate (despite the sky pundits claims otherwise) and the fact the ref did nothing is just nonsense.
I'm assuming that the ref bottled any action on the initial shove given the aftermath, and is leaving it to the FA to resolve. Even if Firmino did something afterwards (which he is punished for) Hollgate should be sanctioned for what happened before anyway.
Lee Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 20:46   #1696
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbullivant View Post
I think pretty much every deal includes add-ons doesn't it? It's sort of a stage payment thing,
Pretty much. Especially, in this case, if the Daily Fail are to be believed

Quote:
The add-ons will see Liverpool earn a further £17.7m once Coutinho has played 100 games, plus smaller payments of £4.4m for each of the first two Champions Leagues he qualifies for and the first two European titles he wins.
That's another £8.8M even if Phil doesn't play a game for them - Barcelona's CL qualification every year is that much of a certainty - and he is pretty much guaranteed to play at least 100 games for them eventually. Far more realistic add ons compared to the likes of 'Barcelona do the treble AND Countinho gets the Balon D'or all in the same season" they came up with last time.

According to the Fail, we also got an extra £10M thanks to the the recent Nike website blunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbullivant View Post
I think they had to sell him this window, might have been nice for you if you'd got to keep him until the summer, otherwise the whole thing would have dragged on again.
Selling this window was the worse case scenario but as I said earlier he was going to be gone straight after the season finished anyway..

As for the Holgate/Firmino thing .... giving Holgate the benefit of the doubt then he probably just misheard what has, since been proven, to be what Firmino actually said. But there are a large number of LFC fans who reckon he played the racism card to avoid being sent off (and banned for 3 games) for violent conduct. As Lee says, regardless of what happens to Firmino (which should be nothing but you never know with the FA) Holgate should be sanctioned severely for endangering the safety of another player [ Mane for got a 3 game ban for that earlier in the season ] net alone, arguably, the safety of the spectators.

Last edited by AdamBrunt; 06-01-2018 at 20:50.
Old 06-01-2018, 20:58   #1697
saltysam
Trusted User

There's no dressing up the fact selling Coutinho in this window damages us..massively

Old 06-01-2018, 21:11   #1698
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
There's no dressing up the fact selling Coutinho in this window damages us..massively
Surely that will only be known on Feb 1st ? We've done pretty well, since his latest strike, without him and with, allegedly, part of the proceeds of his sale

Last edited by AdamBrunt; 06-01-2018 at 21:14.
Old 06-01-2018, 21:16   #1699
madstu
Trusted User

Insane amount of money. PSG started this with the Neymar transfer, the Coutinho and Dembele fees are so OTT.

it does show the PL is awash with worry with Liverpool and Southampton only selling for ridiculous fees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-01-2018, 21:25   #1700
MaxNutter

Expect the 'Torres effect' when trying to sign anyone else in this window.