Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Old 06-02-2016, 23:13   #81
riz1
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by riz1 View Post
I think it's hard to presume fans streaming out was not distracting for the first goal given the timing but even so it is so bad now I wasn't particularly surprised at us blowing another game and was more upset that I lost 12 fantasy football points as I swapped out Scott Dann (who scored) for Clyne. It was an inspired move right up to 80mins....
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltysam View Post
blaming the inability to beat an awful Sunderland when 2 up & less than 10 to go on fans leaving is incredulous.
I've just seen it. I take it back unreservedly.
How he is still our main keeper I have no idea
Old 06-02-2016, 23:24   #82
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

He probably needs shooting more for the placement of the wall !!!!

LOL at Alan '**** for brains' Shearer saying "ticket prices should not be going up" [ probably cost the BBC the next highlights package there ] and gets practically lauded as a saint on RAWK.
AdamBrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 23:59   #83
riz1
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBrunt View Post
He probably needs shooting more for the placement of the wall !!!!
Eh? On his inside post AGAIN and he actually was there and let it slide under his hand.
Old 07-02-2016, 07:04   #84
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Heaven forbid I'm no financial expert, but why do ticket prices continue to rise, when clubs make more each season from television money anyway? It's not as if you don't fill your ground every week, and there must be a queue for season tickets?
LouBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 07:39   #85
douglasb
Suedehead.

Greed?
douglasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 07:51   #86
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Aha!
Old 07-02-2016, 07:55   #87
madstu
Trusted User

Simples - players. To get the best players, and of course keep your best players from your rivals you have to pay higher and higher wages.

Clubs are competing for scarce resources and so just keep upping the anti. The only way to keep ticket prices down is to have a wage cap or accept that you become a feeder club to anyone who can outbid you. Prestige/ reputation will only get you so far, then a players agent tells them they can get £20k extra a week somewhere else

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-02-2016, 08:08   #88
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Is it crazy. The only ones seemingly really benefiting from the increasing income from football are the players and their agents.

It's just a shame it's 30 years too late to try to put any caps and controls in place on a global level. Hopefully China will suck up all the mercenaries for their big pay days and those players for whom it's not all about money - it's not like they don't earn enough - won't be tempted.
Old 07-02-2016, 08:17   #89
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Thanked 1,229 Times in 871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouBarlow View Post
Heaven forbid I'm no financial expert, but why do ticket prices continue to rise, when clubs make more each season from television money anyway? It's not as if you don't fill your ground every week, and there must be a queue for season tickets?
Because they are a business with owners who wish to make money, the way clubs have been managed in the past with some local owner who cares whether you use his scrap business isn't going to last. Vultures see clubs with huge revenue streams, untapped markets, etc. See they can make some money.

If you fill the stadium each week, your tickets don't cost enough. Basic GCSE business studies will tell you that.

OK you've had your season ticket for 40 years, but do they care? There is probably someone on the waiting list who has been on it a decade who'd happily pay £200 a year more just to have one. They'd rather have less season tickets and more one-off fans anyway, as they're more likely to spend more money by making a day of it, going on the tour, buying stuff in the shop, etc.

I did a small project on Forest ticket prices for GCSE business studies as one year they did have a go, and reduce season ticket prices with a view to filling the place. More tickets were sold, but not enough to make it cost effective. You see it at Wembley for things like playoffs which aren't so popular, basically you can have a ticket if you're prepared to pay for it, the cheap ones get snapped up, if you're a casual fan you can get one but you pay through the nose.

You've basically got different sorts of fans...

Some who will go if the price is right
Some who won't go no matter how cheap
Some who will go no matter the cost within reason

Basically there is a sweet spot of ticket prices, which actually gets quite complicated when they have differing prices. In Forest case, that sweet spot was somewhere off selling out every week, even at £10 tickets or Kids for a quid, we weren't selling out the place. Hence you are financially better off selling 15,000 tickets to people prepared to pay £30, rather than £10 tickets to 30,000 people.

To be fair to clubs they do have a number of price brackets, which does try to help season tickets in most cases, as Liverpool say, most tickets are staying the same or coming down in price.

But from a financial perspective it's worth having some £77 quid tickets available for casual fans who are desperate to see the game.

It's basically legalised touting.

So rather than walking out of the match, the answer is to stop going, however they know the people walking out, would never give their season ticket up (that would be a far better protest). They know this.
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 08:31   #90
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Thanked 1,229 Times in 871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie G View Post
Is it crazy. The only ones seemingly really benefiting from the increasing income from football are the players and their agents.

It's just a shame it's 30 years too late to try to put any caps and controls in place on a global level. Hopefully China will suck up all the mercenaries for their big pay days and those players for whom it's not all about money - it's not like they don't earn enough - won't be tempted.
I understand your sentiment, but I'm struggling to think of any players who it would apply to. Whilst you do get your one club players, it's usually because they are extremely well paid to be there. Someone like Stevie G, used to try and wangle a move to Chelsea every time he didn't like the contract on offer.

All the players and their agents know there is money and more of it, and they'll all be after some more.

Whilst China will stop a few of them getting here, it's when they're here and they can basically hold a club to ransom. Someone will pay them more, you'd get a premium going to some sub-par team (QPR last season) or abroad.
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 09:02   #91
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Because it is all about maximising revenues; I don't know of any business which cuts one revenue stream to 'make up for' an increase in another.

Why does the fact they fill the ground every week mean they should cut prices? How does that help more 'new' and casual fans get to the game? It won't, it will just mean the people who currently hoover up all the tickets get them cheaper.

As others have said - even a 15 year old GCSE Business Studies student understands these basic principles of supply and demand.

If SOS were so sure that FSG have it wrong, they would be advising people to not renew their STs safe in the knowledge that no one exists to buy them instead at the price FSG want. But the simple fact is they do, and in their 1000s.

As saltysam said, last night, the irony ( and even down right hypocrisy ) of the walkout yesterday is that the majority of those who did walk ( cos they were protesting about casual fans beings fleeced ) will be first in queue on Tue/Wed making sure they hoover up all the 'cheap' tickets forcing the casual fans, who can't buy a ticket til the end of the sale, to pay £100 for theirs as that it will be the only price band left.

As someone said yesterday, the organisers have some antiquated/romanticised idea of how ticket prices should work which stopped decades ago and do not live on this planet but on a planet where hypocrisy rules supreme and basic business rules don't seem to apply.

But try pointing this out to these people and they will just reply 'you just don't get it' even though you do ( both sides of the argument ) and it is them that don't.

Last edited by AdamBrunt; 07-02-2016 at 09:05.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:15   #92
LouBarlow
Retired Member

I'm no 15 year old GCSE Business Student but pricing fans out of going to games, doesn't seem the best option either.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:29   #93
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
I'm no 15 year old GCSE Business Student but pricing fans out of going to games, doesn't seem the best option either.
But from their perspective they aren't - as the fans still turn up. It is not rocket science is it?

I don't see anyone moaning about the year on year price rises in cars, postage stamps, insurance premiums, beer, etc, etc.

It is also hardly a new phenomenon ... it has been happening for the past 10+ years and they all seemed happy then.

Leaving a seat you paid for months ago is no protest at all. The only protest that will make any difference is (a) one where you don't buy a ticket in the first place and (b) one that takes place across the entire league structure (not just Premier League)

Last edited by AdamBrunt; 07-02-2016 at 09:35.
Old 07-02-2016, 10:20   #94
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBrunt View Post
But from their perspective they aren't - as the fans still turn up. It is not rocket science is it?
Will they still turn up at £77 a pop? How much is it to take your kid to watch a football match these days? £100 a week to watch 90 minutes of football sounds insane to me, but if you can afford it, good on you.
Old 07-02-2016, 11:42   #95
r.vernon1
You'll Never Walk Alone..

Shearer had it right on MOTD, with TV revenues going up, increased capacity soon, they don't need to put prices up. Sure they could and they want to, but now is the time to reward fans for their loyalty. Make the prices lower, get the stadium packed and rocking each week. It's clear how much they need the atmosphere from the impact of people leaving yesterday. It's not even like it's a small jump in price (which you could understand more), it's pure greed. I'm glad people have taken a stand, yesterday's result may have just been good thing for the club as it's highlighted just how much the club needs the fans.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35516397

Last edited by r.vernon1; 07-02-2016 at 11:59.
r.vernon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 12:20   #96
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Will they still turn up at £77 a pop? How much is it to take your kid to watch a football match these days? £100 a week to watch 90 minutes of football sounds insane to me, but if you can afford it, good on you.
FSG's figures clearly indicate that people will pay £77.

I read a great analogy about the walkout this morning; it was like protesting about the price of a Big Mac meal by buying a Big Mac meal and eating just the burger. You are protesting about having to overpay for something by ... overpaying for the same thing!!!!
Old 07-02-2016, 12:36   #97
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.vernon1 View Post
Shearer had it right on MOTD, with TV revenues going up, increased capacity soon, they don't need to put prices up. Sure they could and they want to, but now is the time to reward fans for their loyalty. Make the prices lower, get the stadium packed and rocking each week. It's clear how much they need the atmosphere from the impact of people leaving yesterday. It's not even like it's a small jump in price (which you could understand more), it's pure greed. I'm glad people have taken a stand, yesterday's result may have just been good thing for the club as it's highlighted just how much the club needs the fans.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35516397
If only it was a just a problem at Liverpool and not EVERY single club in the country ( league and non-league ) then he may have a point. My father-in-law paid £18 to see Woking in the FA Trophy yesterday.

It is also a bit hypocritical that a person who complains about clubs getting too much TV money and not using it how they think it should be used is ... a direct employee of a company who is directly responsible for the amount of money the clubs get. His idea of £10 for a PL ticket is also nonsnse - the lower league clubs would simply not survive.

You want to protest about what you believe are too high prices? Then you ca either not buy tickets in the first place, not subscribe to Sky Sports and BT Sports or ... you can keep buying tickets and then not utilising them to the full. Again, rocket science springs to mind.

Last edited by AdamBrunt; 07-02-2016 at 13:18.
Old 07-02-2016, 15:06   #98
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Considering some of the bizarre theories you come up with on this forum, it's a bit hypocritical to bang on about a subject's 'obviousness'
Old 07-02-2016, 16:49   #99
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Considering some of the bizarre theories you come up with on this forum, it's a bit hypocritical to bang on about a subject's 'obviousness'
OK then.

There are two main reasons why there is too much money in football; Sky and BT. If less people paid for those they would value football a lot less.
Old 07-02-2016, 17:22   #100
stu_69
prohibido

The Liverpool FC Thread 2015/2016

Here in the US ticket prices for sports games are astronomical. I go to golden state warriors (nba) games regularly and I pay over $100 for ****** seats in the nose bleeds. The Warriors are famous for selling out their arena every single game for years. They won the championship last season and ticket prices went up by quite a bit. Even parking went up by $15 and no one seemed to complain. Every game still sells out and the sell on market has increased as well.

The atmosphere in the arena has changed though. This season there is a lot more day trippers and it's different. The regular fans who filled the arena for years have been priced out of the games (or they sell on their tickets at $100 profit per ticket per game - or a lot more depending on the opposition).

There is not much in the way of protesting here about ticket prices. Considering there is at minimum 42 home games for the Warriors (80 odd home games for baseball teams!) it costs a lot to support your team in person here. When the Warriors build their new arena in downtown San Francisco it will have a higher capacity (+6k seats on the current) everyone knows their prices will go up. It's supply and demand and no one cares about the atmosphere. Someone will always buy a ticket.

Last edited by stu_69; 07-02-2016 at 17:22. Reason: h
stu_69 is offline   Reply With Quote