Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Old 17-12-2019, 23:05   #3701
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Thanked 1,229 Times in 871 Posts
There is sending a reserve team and then there is sending some kids to get stuffed to presumably make some sort of point??
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2019, 07:28   #3702
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jockosjungle View Post
There is sending a reserve team and then there is sending some kids to get stuffed to presumably make some sort of point??
If there is a point being made it will be about the incompetence of the EFL in running their own competition ( they had 5 months to avoid this situation which was easily avoidable ) and just how lowly regarded the League Cup has been considered for years certainly by LFC and pretty much every top flight team ( LFC get something like 20x more money if they win the CWC than if they had actually gone one to win the League Cup ).

And TBF the kids did alright - considering their inexperience - and could easily have been 2-0 up before conceding 2 goals in 3 minutes ( both of which were totally against the run of play and one of which was a total fluke )

Last edited by AdamBrunt; 18-12-2019 at 07:29.
AdamBrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2019, 09:50   #3703
Roy
XBL Tag: Coldbobtee

Quote:
I know what you mean. I was a bit disappointed Klopp didn't put a spine in there from the seniors, seems we went from monumental efforts to beat Arsenal to effectively throw it away.

The kids put on a great performance, they just didn't have the core required to turn things around.

Roy@Flickr
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2019, 10:13   #3704
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,536 Times in 501 Posts
Quote:
It's a pretty damning message to the EFL and the FA that Liverpool aren't interested in winning a domestic trophy like the League Cup. They'd rather go to the Middle East for a Mickey Mouse competition.
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2019, 10:20   #3705
MaxNutter

You'd have thought they would have learned from the FA Cup debacle when United pulled out, almost 20 years ago!

Having said that, how many free mid-weeks are there at this time?
Play last week? Nope, European competitions.
Week before that? Nope, Internationals.
Next week? Nope, Christmas.

It's the consequence of having a condensed competition (over by March), unlike the old-style one that ran alongside the FA Cup (pretty much).
I wonder who voted for this format?
Old 18-12-2019, 10:25   #3706
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

I thought that, result aside, they actually did really well. There was some lovely fast passing and moving and at times they looked very comfortable playing with the big boys and they should be pleased with how they performed.

It was ultimately just men against boys and the experience and physical ability made the difference, but ignoring the naive defensive mistakes and a few very unlucky moments 5-0 really didn't do them justice.

Surely it was more a damning message from LFC to the EFL? They should have been more flexible and rearranged the game for January if they really wanted Liverpool to field a stronger team. It may be a mickey mouse competition, but it's one that Liverpool have never won before and I'll be very happy if we win it.

I guess it means that the Quintuple is out the window though......!
Old 18-12-2019, 11:42   #3707
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

For me ... CWC far exceeds the League Cup both in terms of prestige and prize money.

There was zero reason to play the game last night - there is ample precedent of semi finals being delayed in similar circumstances. The whole idea of a two legged semi-final should have been ditched years ago.

Then again, the EFL is not alone in the crazy format stakes ... UEFA's CL "last 16" round being spread over 4 weeks to then fit the last 3 rounds into 8 weeks is equally, if not more, farcical
Old 18-12-2019, 17:06   #3708
cheeseypuffs
Trusted User

I think it's £100k if they go on to win the Carabao Cup - which is not a gimme. £1.5M just for being in the CWC semi up to ~£4M if they win it! So the only incentive to prioritise the League Cup might be the kudos for winning it - and we know that no one really gives a **** about it!

Heard people spouting off that they should've split the 1st team squad up, but that's ******** too - play weakened teams in both competitions, so you're just as likely to miss out twice
Keeping the whole 1st team squad together and going on a warm weather training camp, with two competitive games that don't really matter too much in the grand scheme of things, is just a better option.
cheeseypuffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2019, 21:39   #3709
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Thanked 1,229 Times in 871 Posts
I find it difficult to believe that Liverpool has a 1st team and a youth team only??

Not sure why Liverpool didn't see this coming and might has well not have bothered all the way through. Or they should look to get this competition done with earlier in the season?? I always think we're a little light on footy in the first few weeks, only for everyone to whinge they're playing twice a week following Christmas.
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2019, 22:05   #3710
cheeseypuffs
Trusted User

Quote:
I find it difficult to believe that Liverpool has a 1st team and a youth team only??
According to this there were 38 players included in the Premier League squad, and that includes youth players. At least 5 out of that 38 are on loan and several are injured. Why would they have another squad of players on the payroll, just in case? If they needed more to just hang around why send those out on loan They had to name a squad of 23 for the Club World Cup

Quote:
Not sure why Liverpool didn't see this coming and might has well not have bothered all the way through. Or they should look to get this competition done with earlier in the season?? I always think we're a little light on footy in the first few weeks, only for everyone to whinge they're playing twice a week following Christmas.
They had to enter the competition and whatever team they put out is going to try and win, it's the nature of the beast. Not sure if you're saying Liverpool should have scheduled their games earlier, but I'm pretty sure it's not their decision It's the EFL that ****** up with their scheduling, they can bend over backwards to screw the timetables for an Amazon payday - regardless of how it affects players and fans - but give no leeway in this case. If they can show this much disdain for their own competition then how much respect should the clubs give it?
cheeseypuffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2019, 22:19   #3711
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

I'm sure I vaguely remember us playing Flamenco when I was a kid in the equivalent tournament of that time, they beat us 3-0, don't recall actually seeing it though, sure it was the other side of the world
Old 18-12-2019, 23:22   #3712
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie G View Post
I'm sure I vaguely remember us playing Flamenco when I was a kid in the equivalent tournament of that time, they beat us 3-0, don't recall actually seeing it though, sure it was the other side of the world
They did indeed - in the 1981 Intercontinental Cup as it was called then IIRC.
Old 19-12-2019, 09:04   #3713
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Long before the day of the internet! I was nine then, think I only found the result in my dad's newspaper the next day!

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk
Old 19-12-2019, 11:00   #3714
MaxNutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeseypuffs View Post
Not sure if you're saying Liverpool should have scheduled their games earlier, but I'm pretty sure it's not their decision It's the EFL that ****** up with their scheduling, they can bend over backwards to screw the timetables for an Amazon payday - regardless of how it affects players and fans - but give no leeway in this case.
What's the Amazon deal got to do with the EFL, and how is it screwing the timetables (aside from KO times)? It hasn't caused this fixture clash has it?
Old 19-12-2019, 15:36   #3715
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Minamino signing confirmed.

Fairly easy choice every week, for Klopp, when picking the forward line ... Gini, Mini, Mane or Mo
Old 19-12-2019, 20:38   #3716
Ravioli

There won’t be a league cup in 5 years time or a5 least the teams in Europe won’t enter it.
Ravioli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2019, 20:19   #3717
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

World Champions and Leicester lose ... not a bad day overall

Though how the 'penalty' wasn't even a foul was ridiculous
Old 21-12-2019, 20:52   #3718
wolfkiller
The naturalist chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBrunt View Post
Though how the 'penalty' wasn't even a foul was ridiculous
I always say these things even themselves out - Gomez should have been sent off in the semi
wolfkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2019, 23:05   #3719
Ravioli

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfkiller View Post
Gomez should have been sent off in the semi
For what, handball?
Ravioli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2019, 02:01   #3720
wolfkiller
The naturalist chef

Yes, he'd already been booked