Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2019, 16:34   #3601
Lee Brown
The Kraken Awakes!
 
Lee Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Oxford
Posts: 1,913
Thanks: 40
Thanked 66 Times in 35 Posts
So, the Carabao Cup quarter final has been confirmed for Tuesday 17 December, 24 hrs before the Club World Cup.

Some excellent flexibility being shown then
Lee Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 16:34   #3602
AdamBrunt
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: UK
Posts: 24,843
Thanks: 136
Thanked 285 Times in 199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravoman View Post
How about they just use VAR when the ref requests it basically like rugby union....ref is unsure of a foul or offside. Stops the game and asks for VAR? I watched one game last week, goal awarded, everyone back in the centre circle for restart and then VAR came up with a foul or something, goal disallowed back for a free kick. Ridiculous situation
Because the on field refs believe they are infallible. In the above scenario, if VAR had not intervened, then an illegal goal would have been scored because the ref missed something but didn't know he had so doesn't request help from VAR.

VAR has to be able to interject - but not necessarily overrule - without being prompted by the ref.
AdamBrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 16:36   #3603
AdamBrunt
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: UK
Posts: 24,843
Thanks: 136
Thanked 285 Times in 199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Brown View Post
So, the Carabao Cup quarter final has been confirmed for Tuesday 17 December, 24 hrs before the Club World Cup.



Some excellent flexibility being shown then
You really couldn't make it up.

It's not as if there isn't a precedent for teams playing League Cup Quarter Finals while other teams are playing Semi Finals.

Loving the following on the club statement ...

Quote:
We would like to thank the EFL for their efforts to accommodate us and we can confirm alternative dates were discussed, but ultimately none were considered suitable without compromising the scheduling of the competition itself or placing an undue strain on our playing staff.
Not sure what forcing the first XI to play 2 games in Qatar is if it isn't that bolded part ?

The shafted have either shafted Klopp good and proper or Klopp has said "I can't be arsed with a two leg semi final - let's just play it with a **** team so we can get knocked out without fear of being fined"

Either way ... this really does need better organisation. The EFL have known, since early May, that this might happen and did ZERO planning since then to avoid it.

Last edited by AdamBrunt; 05-11-2019 at 18:35.
AdamBrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 22:31   #3604
Ravioli
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Kent
Posts: 10,644
Thanks: 143
Thanked 222 Times in 164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravoman View Post
How about they just use VAR when the ref requests it basically like rugby union
Please never compare refs in rugby union and football. If we had refs as bad as they do in rugby, officiating in football, there would be uproar. In rugby union everyone accepts it because thatís how it is and thereís a fraction of the money involved.
Ravioli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 22:37   #3605
Ravioli
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Kent
Posts: 10,644
Thanks: 143
Thanked 222 Times in 164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Brown View Post
So, the Carabao Cup quarter final has been confirmed for Tuesday 17 December, 24 hrs before the Club World Cup.

Some excellent flexibility being shown then
Itís a squad of 23 for the club World Cup, so I would imagine some of the first team will actually play in the league cup and then fly out for the final, having had an extra dayís rest. Essentially you only have 6 subs on the bench for the cwc semi final instead of 12. The only issue I potentially see is having 4 goal keepers, so you have a sub keeper for each match, is Lonergan still on our books?
Ravioli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 07:53   #3606
Bravoman
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: W-S-M
Posts: 4,191
Thanks: 1,076
Thanked 261 Times in 162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravioli View Post
Please never compare refs in rugby union and football. If we had refs as bad as they do in rugby, officiating in football, there would be uproar. In rugby union everyone accepts it because thatís how it is and thereís a fraction of the money involved.
If you read Adams posts football refs and corrupt and believe they are infallible so already as bad as you claim rugby refs to be!
Bravoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:25   #3607
nutter45
burninator
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: London
Posts: 9,439
Thanks: 840
Thanked 372 Times in 237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravioli View Post
Please never compare refs in rugby union and football. If we had refs as bad as they do in rugby, officiating in football, there would be uproar. In rugby union everyone accepts it because thatís how it is and thereís a fraction of the money involved.


This is garbage Iím afraid. The refs in rugby communicate phenomenally well, with both the players and the linesmen. And they accept no abuse.
nutter45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:30   #3608
Bravoman
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: W-S-M
Posts: 4,191
Thanks: 1,076
Thanked 261 Times in 162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutter45 View Post
This is garbage Iím afraid. The refs in rugby communicate phenomenally well, with both the players and the linesmen. And they accept no abuse.
I did think the same but I mainly watch international rugby union where the standard seems high and the players often address the referee as Sir.

Maybe Ravioli was referring to club or amateur level?
Bravoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:34   #3609
Ravioli
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Kent
Posts: 10,644
Thanks: 143
Thanked 222 Times in 164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutter45 View Post
This is garbage Iím afraid. The refs in rugby communicate phenomenally well, with both the players and the linesmen. And they accept no abuse.
The key is they accept no abuse. That is the only thing I would take from rugby union refs. The fact is they have no idea what is going on in scrums/rucks/mauls and frequently guess which way to give a penalty.
The beauty of football is it's simplicity, the issue we have now is that they are complicating it, almost because of VAR.
Ravioli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:36   #3610
Ravioli
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Kent
Posts: 10,644
Thanks: 143
Thanked 222 Times in 164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravoman View Post
I did think the same but I mainly watch international rugby union where the standard seems high and the players often address the referee as Sir.

Maybe Ravioli was referring to club or amateur level?
Not at all the officiating at international level of rugby union is poor, compared to the standard in say the Premier League. I think it's partially because it's a much harder game to referee and I guess the rewards are also much less for the referees (are rugby union refs full time professional?)
Ravioli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:51   #3611
AdamBrunt
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: UK
Posts: 24,843
Thanks: 136
Thanked 285 Times in 199 Posts
If you don't think the standard of Premier League refs is poor - which is the main reason why VAR was brought in - then there is nothing more I can say.

If the refs were any good then there would be no need for VAR
AdamBrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 12:00   #3612
Ravioli
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Kent
Posts: 10,644
Thanks: 143
Thanked 222 Times in 164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBrunt View Post
If you don't think the standard of Premier League refs is poor - which is the main reason why VAR was brought in - then there is nothing more I can say.

If the refs were any good then there would be no need for VAR
No, what I am saying is that the standard of rugby union officating is worse. The fact that players, coaches and fans don't talk about it, is because it is accepted that the ref's say is final.

Last edited by Ravioli; 06-11-2019 at 12:01.
Ravioli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 14:08   #3613
douglasb
Suedehead.
 
douglasb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Exiled in England
Posts: 11,073
Thanks: 148
Thanked 895 Times in 545 Posts
Maybe so, but there's also an acceptance that such minor errors are just part of the game and will probably even out over the 80 minutes.

If PL refs are terrible now, it implies they were better in the past and no-one really thinks that. What the past did have was a simpler game, with fewer pundits (professional and armchair) and, at best, three camera angles to quickly screen on a Saturday night without replays that get viewed over and over for days afterwards.
douglasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 14:39   #3614
Ravioli
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Kent
Posts: 10,644
Thanks: 143
Thanked 222 Times in 164 Posts
I agree.
Ravioli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 22:46   #3615
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Falkland Islands
Posts: 23,135
Thanks: 285
Thanked 1,229 Times in 871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasb View Post
Maybe so, but there's also an acceptance that such minor errors are just part of the game and will probably even out over the 80 minutes.

If PL refs are terrible now, it implies they were better in the past and no-one really thinks that. What the past did have was a simpler game, with fewer pundits (professional and armchair) and, at best, three camera angles to quickly screen on a Saturday night without replays that get viewed over and over for days afterwards.
Agreed.

A ref is trying to make the right decision in real time when legging it down the pitch, if people think the job is easy why does the entire crowd scream handball whenever a ball goes above the knee?

Half the time the MOTD pundits have no idea, they've had 6 hours to watch it, they've watched it 100 times from every angle and had a retired referee give them some insight into the right decision. Then you get

"I've seen them given Gary"
"Back in my day that'd never have been a penalty"
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 17:18   #3616
nutter45
burninator
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: London
Posts: 9,439
Thanks: 840
Thanked 372 Times in 237 Posts
Howís the VAR conspiracy going Adam? Both those Liverpool goals could have been chalked off and they could have had a penalty....
nutter45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 17:54   #3617
DeadYankee
.
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Orkney
Posts: 34,192
Thanks: 1,333
Thanked 2,225 Times in 1,134 Posts
VAR is horrible - should not even be looking at those goals. Laws not made for pixel peeping
DeadYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 18:24   #3618
nutter45
burninator
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: London
Posts: 9,439
Thanks: 840
Thanked 372 Times in 237 Posts
GET IN THERE
nutter45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 20:08   #3619
Stevie G
Dazed and confused
 
Stevie G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: By the seaside
Posts: 12,145
Thanks: 741
Thanked 368 Times in 271 Posts
That would have been a harsh pen, they always look more slowed down but hard to do much about that. Maybe Aguero should have carried on playing and he may have had a chance at goal, although I guess as it came off a City hand before it his Trent's it would have been disallowed anyway!
__________________
PSN Gamertag: NoMrMoreNiceGuy
It's all about the scrobbling...
Stevie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 21:12   #3620
nutter45
burninator
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: London
Posts: 9,439
Thanks: 840
Thanked 372 Times in 237 Posts
Looked like it came off Bernardo Silvaís hand first to me? I didnít watch the full debrief, but Sky didnít seem too bothered about it, although I think Neville mentioned in commentary
nutter45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Official Liverpool 06 - 07 Thread - Will Liverpool sign anyone bar ex-cons?? Guest 816 Sports Forum 1014 08-08-2006 16:10
The Liverpool FC Thread 04/05 Guest 21225 Sports Forum 8516 25-05-2005 22:50

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:18.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018 Poisonous Monkey Ltd. Part of The Digital Fix Network