Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Old 28-02-2016, 20:24   #241
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigp2 View Post
Was the game not technically over at that point once he scored? They don't usually book players for swapping shirts after the final whistle in a normal game.
You can still be sent off after the game has finished. But we're talking English refs here
AdamBrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 20:39   #242
Rob
Indie Author

Not sure about your ref-related complaints Adam. It looked to me like there were quite a few studs up challenges from Liverpool players today. As for the challenge on Aguero, it looked like a dive to me but replays showed it should have been a penalty.

On quite a few occasions, a Liverpool player went down (quite often near Fernandinho) and again, replays showed there was no contact. But to be honest, I don't feel the ref was biased one way or the other.

Close game to be fair - I think that we should have finished you off a lot earlier, but Sterling's finishing was appalling and after his initial mistake, Mignolet pulled off some great saves to keep you in it. Having said that. Liverpool had a few chances of their own to win it.

Despite having not much to do, Caballero was man of the match - I thought that Lallana's penalty was pretty good, and the save was brilliant.
Old 28-02-2016, 20:39   #243
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Thanked 1,233 Times in 874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie G View Post
Mignolet never looked like saving one either.

Please no poems.
He stopped the first one, you can't really be relying on a keeper to save multiple times, it was the takers who were at fault (if anyone is).
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 21:13   #244
Deron
PS4 Gamertag: D3RONG

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbullivant View Post
He stopped the first one, you can't really be relying on a keeper to save multiple times, it was the takers who were at fault (if anyone is).
Did he?

Thought it hit the post.

The better team won it, both player wise and performance wise. We were lucky to get to pens with the chances created against us.

That game summed up exactly why we let Sterling go for 50m, his finishing is abysmal.

Sturridge refused to shoot for some reason, and I felt he should have gone off instead of Firmino. We really failed to trouble Ceballero, especially after a poor FA cup defeat.

Can and Lucas were fantastic for us. Mignolet kept us in it after stupidly conceding, but it's obvious he's not good enough.

The trait of the best keepers is having nothing to do for long periods then pulling off a save. He's better when he's busy.
Old 28-02-2016, 21:24   #245
riz1
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deron View Post
Did he?

Thought it hit the post.

The better team won it, both player wise and performance wise. We were lucky to get to pens with the chances created against us.

That game summed up exactly why we let Sterling go for 50m, his finishing is abysmal.

Sturridge refused to shoot for some reason, and I felt he should have gone off instead of Firmino. We really failed to trouble Ceballero, especially after a poor FA cup defeat.

Can and Lucas were fantastic for us. Mignolet kept us in it after stupidly conceding, but it's obvious he's not good enough.

The trait of the best keepers is having nothing to do for long periods then pulling off a save. He's better when he's busy.

Sums up my views too.
Just depressing but it encapsulates our season to date in 1 game
Oh for strikers that can score....and a defense!
Old 28-02-2016, 22:45   #246
richie-t
Dick Stallion

Sturridge looked incredibly rusty with his touch and strength on the ball. Not surprising really considering he's been out for so long.

Sakho was miffed and I think that shows passion. Nobody wants to leave the pitch when you're playing in a cup final. Question is, who cocked that header up? Him or Can? Sakho should have called it... It's whether Can listened.

On the whole, I thought we showed great spirit and encouragement can be taken from the game.
richie-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 23:54   #247
saltysam
Trusted User

Just got home after a looong day, standing room only on the train itself after standing for 2hrs plus pens at the game. Best team won imo,Milner should've buried his chance and Origi had his Andy Carroll moment, he should've scored. Overall the best i can say about us is it was an improvement on our last visit here. The team has a number of bottlers in it who will never step up to the plate when it matters sadly, i'm not really fussed about Mignolet's good saves tbh,the one goal they scored from open play was directly his fault and that's all that matters. Poor penalties but once it was advantage us after the first kicks were taken the likes of Milner,Henderson & Sturridge should've stepped up,not Lucas and Coutinho (what an awful penalty).
saltysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2016, 02:11   #248
stu_69
prohibido

I got up at 6am to watch that game in a pub full of plastics. Great atmosphere but no understanding of anything. A few homophobic chants about sterling really upped the rhetoric.

Through regular play, Liverpool were ****. Extra time, we probably shaded it. Our penalties were atrocious.

Lucas and can probably the best players overall.

**** this stupid game, I am tired as **** and who gives a **** about the league cup?

Win the Europa League and all is forgiven.
stu_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2016, 07:49   #249
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltysam View Post
Just got home after a looong day, standing room only on the train itself after standing for 2hrs plus pens at the game. Best team won imo,Milner should've buried his chance and Origi had his Andy Carroll moment, he should've scored. Overall the best i can say about us is it was an improvement on our last visit here. The team has a number of bottlers in it who will never step up to the plate when it matters sadly, i'm not really fussed about Mignolet's good saves tbh,the one goal they scored from open play was directly his fault and that's all that matters. Poor penalties but once it was advantage us after the first kicks were taken the likes of Milner,Henderson & Sturridge should've stepped up,not Lucas and Coutinho (what an awful penalty).
Agree with most of that - I was surprised Milner wasn't subbed during the 90 minutes.

And AFAIK you can not change the order of the kickers once the shootout has stated.
Old 29-02-2016, 13:44   #250
Deron

Keeping Milner on, was actually the right move. Moreno was getting worse as the game went on. It was obvious, he was going to run out of luck eventually.

Milner on set pieces though was shocking. He needs to stop.
Old 29-02-2016, 15:28   #251
stu_69
prohibido

Milners corners are shocking. He either blasts is way over everyone or fails to beat the first man.
stu_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2016, 18:11   #252
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

I know it is no comparison but who took the corners against Villa? I seem to remember those being all right and I am pretty sure it wasn't Milner taking them
Old 02-03-2016, 21:38   #253
richie-t
Dick Stallion

Bit of revenge at least...
richie-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 21:42   #254
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Yeah, very satisfying. Although the satisfaction in damaging their vague title challenge doesn't seem quite the same when they don't seem to give a **** themselves!

(Like most of the country, other than Arsenal, Spurs and City fans probably!) I'd so love Leicester to hold out and win this league. I still can't quite believe they can do it, but a great night for them tonight, and they still have the best run in.

Last edited by Stevie G; 02-03-2016 at 21:43.
Stevie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 21:44   #255
madstu
Trusted User

It is mad - when 24hrs ago we all assumed their result damaged their chances. City, Arsenal and Spurs loosing, mad league this year, no-one seems to want to win it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-03-2016, 21:49   #256
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

I would have higher hopes of us finishing Top 4 if our game in hand wasn't Everton
Old 02-03-2016, 21:53   #257
Rob
Indie Author

Wow, I bet you wish you could play us in the league every week! Very good performance from Liverpool tonight - all the pressing and swift passing (again) and we just didn't get a look in.

Good to see you getting the best our of Milner as well (even though it was against us).
Old 02-03-2016, 21:55   #258
Deron

Well the good news is we've finally produced an excellent home performance.

Flanagan's tackle on Sterling right at the beginning set the tone. The whole team was excellent, which is not what I thought I'd be saying with a front three comprised of Firmino, Lallana and Milner.
Old 02-03-2016, 22:06   #259
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

I wonder how many players expect to be there next season after Klopp has a proper transfer window to make changes? Considering the few buys in Jan surely one of his conditions of him signing was a bye for this season and a fresh start in the summer....
Old 02-03-2016, 23:31   #260
saltysam
Trusted User

Played really well tonight though it's tempered a little by how poor City were. Wouldn't surprise me to see United or even West Ham nick 4th off them,they look listless. Pity Flanagan's not in the Europa League squad.
saltysam is offline   Reply With Quote