Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Computing Forum

Old 31-07-2015, 08:12   #721
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by target View Post
To be fair, Chrome is crap at bookmarks too without an extension. Apparently people don't use bookmarks anymore. Actually... it's pretty rare I click mine come to think of it.

I guess Firefox is now the only one of the big three to do bookmarks well.
I do like how Firefox has the 'smart' bookmarks thing, where you can just star it and it goes into a big unsorted list, or tag them to make them easier to find. I rarely go on to sort them, but it means they're in my history and show up when I want to find one and start typing part of the name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftHandedGuitarist View Post
Chrome is excellent for bookmarks. Create folders along the bookmark bar. Instant, easy and very well organised. Immediate access to 200+ sites. Doesn't use up space for me.
I've had Firefox and chrome as my main browsers but found I usually use Firefox, but it has become slower (and I try to limit the extensions).

I've never been keen on the chrome bookmarking, but it works better with a bookmark extension?
Old 31-07-2015, 08:26   #722
driver8
eviscerate your memory

Thanked 2,164 Times in 925 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie G View Post
... and show up when I want to find one and start typing part of the name.
Chrome does this too, and has done for ages - history & bookmarks
driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 08:28   #723
Barnacle
Trusted User

I rolled back to 8.1 and everything is working as it was before the upgrade.

I think I'll leave it for a few months before upgrading again, hopefully Lenovo will have some working network card drivers by then
Barnacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 08:39   #724
Fatbloke
PSN : Fatbloke-66

I tried removing some of the live tiles from the start bar, replacing them with others.

It doesn't seem to work on a laptop with two users on it. I select 'unpin' and the tile just sits there, even after a restart. Worked OK on the desktop (which only has one user on it).

Anyone else seen that?
Fatbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 10:40   #725
Dazzz
Trusted User

Lots of worried messages popping up on my FB newsfeed about the Privacy Policy with Win10... all the data sharing via Cortana, and targeted advertising.
I assumed this was all part of using an intelligent assistant, by definition.. and is the same sort of stuff as with Google or Siri...
Or is MS going too far?
Dazzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 10:42   #726
allan
Trusted User

Can't see it would be any difference.
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 10:51   #727
Jim989
GoldMember

WARNING: Obviously it's your choice and you take responsibility if you adjust any of the below items!
Quote:
There's been a lot of commotion over W10's privacy terms. I'm sure these methods can change/improve at any time, but here's a guide which should hopefully give you a relatively more private, safe experience, however at the risk of not being able to enjoy some of W10's features.

Before/During Installation
•Do not use Express Settings. Hit Customize, and make sure everything is turned off.
•It's strongly preferred that you use a local account with Windows 10.

After Installation
•Head to Settings > Privacy, and disable everything, unless there are some things you really need.
•While within the Privacy page, go to Feedback, select Never in the first box, and Basic in the second box.
•Head to Settings > Update and Security > Advanced Options > Choose how updates are delivered, and turn the first switch off.
•Disable Cortana by clicking the Search bar/icon.
•(Optional) Disable web search in Search by going to Settings, and turning off Search online and include web results.
•Change the name of your PC by going to Start (or hitting the Windows key), typing About PC, and clicking Rename PC.

Slightly Complex
•Open up the Command Prompt by launching cmd as an administrator, and enter the following:

sc delete DiagTrack

sc delete dmwappushservice

echo "" > C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Diagnosis\ETLLogs\AutoLogger\AutoLogger-Diagtrack-Listener.etl

Open up the Group Policy Editor by launching gpedit.msc as an administrator. Go through Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Data Collection and Preview Builds. Double click Telemetry, hit Disabled, then apply. NOTE: This only truly works in the Enterprise edition, but the final step provides a decent enough workaround for Pro users.

While still in the Group Policy Editor, go through Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > OneDrive, double click Prevent the usage of OneDrive for file storage, hit Enabled, then apply.

While still in the Group Policy Editor, go through Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Defender, double click Turn Off Windows Defender, hit Enabled, then apply.

Open up the Registry Editor by launching regedit as an administrator. Go through HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\DataCollection, select AllowTelemetry, change its value to 0, then apply.

First, download the Take Ownership tweak and enable it. Then, head to the Hosts File by going through C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc, take ownership of the hosts file, and add all of the IPs from this page into the file.

Up To You
•Replace Microsoft Edge/Internet Explorer with Firefox, Chromium, or any forks/variations of them.
•Replace Windows Media Player with VLC or MPC-HC
•Replace Groove Music with Foobar2000, Winamp, or MusicBee.
•Replace Photos/Windows Photo Viewer with ImageGlass or IrfanView.
Taken from reddit : http://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/co...ogging_in_w10/

I disabled stuff during install and was surprised that extra stuff is on by default after reading the above, so disabled more bits last night.

I also found a place in updates that will use your PC to update other PCs on local network AND over the internet. It's on by default which is a bit sneaky for those on a slow metered internet access!

Last edited by Jim989; 31-07-2015 at 10:53.
Jim989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked 2 times by:
ArthurDent (01-08-2015), Stevie G (31-07-2015)
Old 31-07-2015, 11:44   #728
dataloss
Cyberspace Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzz View Post
Lots of worried messages popping up on my FB newsfeed about the Privacy Policy with Win10... all the data sharing via Cortana, and targeted advertising.
I assumed this was all part of using an intelligent assistant, by definition.. and is the same sort of stuff as with Google or Siri...
Or is MS going too far?
Frankly surprised at the outcry, what do people think Google do with all their Data on Android, Chrome OS or the Chrome Browser?

Cortana can only be useful if it can learn on mass, my machines picked up on what I had asked my phone and used that as a starting point, but for speech recognition to improve they need millions of users voice pattens for example.

Last edited by dataloss; 31-07-2015 at 11:46.
dataloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 11:46   #729
nwgarratt
Trusted User

The person I watched install win10 on the day it came out read through all the ms agreement (always does). I was too amazed how much data MS wanted to share with them and others.
nwgarratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 12:09   #730
Tempest
Trusted User

I was going to ask...

Is Cortana on the Win10 desktop a LOT cut down compared to what you get (the experience) on a Windows Phone?

Apart from a few things "what's the weather like tomorrow" "What's my name" "How many pounds in 5 dollars"
A lot (most) of what I've tried just takes me to a Bling web search page of what I asked for.

"Show me photo's of cats" just pretty much does a search for cats, when I was presuming it would open up an images page of cats.

Another thing I'm finding very buggy is the option for Cortana to respond to "Hey Cortana" as opposed to clicking the button.

Basically a lot of the time it simply does not work.
I know it's not the mic, as if I do press the mic icon and say "hey cortana" is recognises my speech correctly.

But, as I say, a lot of the time, I can say it really close to the mic and it does nothing.
then after a fashion, it will work on just the voice command a few times, then stops working again.

Very buggy that bit.... (unless anyone can offer any ways to improve this) ?
Tempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 12:32   #731
dataloss
Cyberspace Addict

I noticed that too, since one the last updates Cortana is slow to wake to the wake words but works ok once active.
dataloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 12:50   #732
dannywonderful
Bon Viveur

Cortana doesn't work at all on my system. It just says it's not supported in my region even though everything is set to United Kingdom.
dannywonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 13:21   #733
LiviLion
Live At The Witch Trials

Been using this for a couple of days now - my thoughts:

Installed it onto my desktop PC and 3 laptops - Laptops didn't need any extra drivers - 1 laptop is modern, the other 2 are old (upgraded them in the hope I can transfer the licenses to other kit later).

Upgrade was smooth - putting on my software I needed was easy enough.

Still got a bit of pain getting used to the UI but I had that as well when I went from XP-> Win 7 so know in time it will be fine.

Just found File History so set that up to auto backup my files to an external HDD.

My main reason for having to upgrade was that something was wrong with my desktop Win 7 install in that it wouldn't refresh folders automatically and would hang the program when even saving a small txt file in notepad for a few seconds. That's all gone now so I have a more responsive system.
LiviLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 13:34   #734
Q
Yee Ol Forum Pirate Ahhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
I was going to ask...

Is Cortana on the Win10 desktop a LOT cut down compared to what you get (the experience) on a Windows Phone?

Apart from a few things "what's the weather like tomorrow" "What's my name" "How many pounds in 5 dollars"
A lot (most) of what I've tried just takes me to a Bling web search page of what I asked for.

"Show me photo's of cats" just pretty much does a search for cats, when I was presuming it would open up an images page of cats.

Another thing I'm finding very buggy is the option for Cortana to respond to "Hey Cortana" as opposed to clicking the button.

Basically a lot of the time it simply does not work.
I know it's not the mic, as if I do press the mic icon and say "hey cortana" is recognises my speech correctly.

But, as I say, a lot of the time, I can say it really close to the mic and it does nothing.
then after a fashion, it will work on just the voice command a few times, then stops working again.

Very buggy that bit.... (unless anyone can offer any ways to improve this) ?
If its showing you pictures of cats? Are you or does it think you are asking for ********? .

The more I read,the more I think I'll give it a miss. If I do test it,I'll test in on my Lenovo X220 as I still have the HDD I cloned of it to SSD so if I dont like W10 then I can just clone the W7 HDD again back onto the SSD.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 13:35   #735
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
I do have to agree, and is one area I think they need to work on still.

IMHO, they could offer a simple slider type option, where you set if you are using a Tablet/Laptop (small screen) 8" - 12" type device.
Or a full desktop 22" - 27" type device.

It's apparent (esp in the edge browser) it's built with the smaller screen and touch/finger sized control method in mind. Not the fine mouse pointer.

Which is fine, but, as I say, it's very wasteful and spread out on a large screen.

I don't see this as a problem as one size can't fit all, so perhaps an option which would just scale some UI things and bring items close together for mouse type control would be fine.
You might want to check what your display's magnification has been set at - mine defaulted to 150% which makes everything look too big, but I'm reading some people have had theirs default to 200% and higher, so it might be a setting (in Display settings) that you want to experiment with.
LouBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
Tempest (31-07-2015)
Old 31-07-2015, 13:59   #736
mjb1975
Blandiblub

My Win7 desktop has NEVER had the W10 icon or any kind of notification. Odd I thought. Windows Update shows nothing other than upgrading to IE11 (I was on IE8 but always used Chrome anyway). The IE11 update ALWAYS fails (9C59 error) - whether via Windows Update or via standalone download.

Couldn't get WU to bring up anything else. Then spent gawd knows how long searching for reasons why the W10 icon never showed up. Saw loads about certain KB patches (some I had, some I didn't), various diagnostics to try via CMD, etc. I tried 'hiding' the IE11 update in WU, which then 'forced' IE9 & IE10 updates (which both worked ok). IE11 still failed everytime, whether via WU or via a standalone download. And still no W10 icon.

I saw some evidence about IE11 being needed for the W10 icon to work but am somewhat cynical about that.

However, this morning, I downloaded W10 from MS's website directly and it installed without any bother at all!

How widespread are any issues with the W10 notification icon in Windows 7? A big problem or something wrong with my install? Still, W10 appears to be working fine now but so much for the background update!
Old 31-07-2015, 14:15   #737
Jim989
GoldMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb1975 View Post
How widespread are any issues with the W10 notification icon in Windows 7? A big problem or something wrong with my install? Still, W10 appears to be working fine now but so much for the background update!
W10 notification doesn't happen for PCs with domain login, and this might be the same case for local accounts which don't have full admin access.

For me, the work around was to login as a local admin and grab the tool from the MS site. Download to ISO and use LInuxLOader (liLo) to make it into a bootable USB. Then boot using the USB, choose upgrade and everything installed ok then. It verified the install straight away and my domain accounts were ok
Jim989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 15:01   #738
LouBarlow
Retired Member

As an aside, it turns out that Microsoft are using YOUR bandwidth to distribute updates etc by default. How nice of them. Make sure you turn it off in settings by clicking on 'change the way updates are received' or whatever it is called, as it will chew up your bandwidth.

Shocking really.
LouBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
Paden (31-07-2015)
Old 31-07-2015, 15:09   #739
mjb1975
Blandiblub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim989 View Post
W10 notification doesn't happen for PCs with domain login, and this might be the same case for local accounts which don't have full admin access.

For me, the work around was to login as a local admin and grab the tool from the MS site. Download to ISO and use LInuxLOader (liLo) to make it into a bootable USB. Then boot using the USB, choose upgrade and everything installed ok then. It verified the install straight away and my domain accounts were ok
I don't have a complicated Win7 install - just standard Home Premium with a simple password to log-in.

With regards to the W10 install, I grabbed an old DVDR I had lying around ready to burn a W10 ISO but it installed easily via MSs website without any need to create any media. Was expecting to have to.
Old 31-07-2015, 15:16   #740
zantarous
Xbox Live tag: wargame

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouBarlow View Post
As an aside, it turns out that Microsoft are using YOUR bandwidth to distribute updates etc by default. How nice of them. Make sure you turn it off in settings by clicking on 'change the way updates are received' or whatever it is called, as it will chew up your bandwidth.

Shocking really.
On the one hand yeah, but on the other it really is just creating a P2P distribution system to make delivering updates more efficiently. As long as it is not obscene amounts of traffic why not help out. The more people that opt in the less each person has to upload.
zantarous is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
Drel (02-08-2015)