Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Computing Forum

Old 09-01-2018, 20:27   #2501
target
Trusted User

Thanked 4,416 Times in 1,989 Posts
Yeah. Motherboard manufacturer software is usually ********.

The idea of not protecting yourself against Meltdown and Spectre exploits for the sake of what is generally badly written bloatware is pure insanity.

On a side note, if anyone missed it, Nivida released new drivers yesterday to protect against a Spectre vulnerability in their GPU drivers.

Last edited by target; 09-01-2018 at 20:30.
target is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
Shingster (10-01-2018)
Old 10-01-2018, 01:41   #2502
Shingster
Trusted User

AiSuite software has one annoying issue (fans going to maximum when windows resets) but it's ran steadily for me on various operating systems for over 5yrs now I think (although version 3 never worked as well as version 2 for me), my PC is part of my home theatre and I specifically built my PC to have the ability to change fan speeds on the fly, when I wanna watch a film or TV show > ultra quiet PC (and my standards of quiet are much stricter than pretty much 99% of people online I find). Recording a podcast > ultra quiet PC. Playing a videogame > **** it I've got my headphones on, crank those fans up.

Anyway, yeah AiSuite 3 is typically crappy software from ASUS and it's no surprise that ASUS couldn't be arsed to get it working in a finalised version in time for this update - PLUS you can't even install the damn thing via windows uninstall! It just goes into an ASUS utility manager that doesn't list AiSuite!

So yeah, crap software, lousy company, about as hard to remove as a particularly stubborn virus (I've found a guide to uninstall manually, it's a monumental faff) however at the end of the day I shouldn't have to be worrying about this ****, I should be able to turn off automatic updates in my operating system and I should be installing updates at my own pace when I want to so I can track which updates are affecting which parts of my system and act accordingly. I shouldn't be sitting at my PC and need to pop away for ten minutes only to return and find my Operating System has updated, shut itself into the launch screen, and upon resuming discover a bunch of vital applications no longer work or have crashed messily because windows has done a cheeky update. It's taking the ****!

Quote:
Originally Posted by target View Post
Have you tried the beta version compatible with the CPU Meltdown and Spectre patches? http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/asu...ows_patch.html
Cheers Target, I had already discovered that and not had a chance to install because of the aforementioned complications of removing Aisuite, but will be upgrading soon if I can!

Last edited by Shingster; 10-01-2018 at 01:48.
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:41   #2503
shteve
[o]EvilTwinkle

OTOH, if your financial data was compromised by rogue software taking advantage of a highly publicised security defect and a patch was available and not pushed out automatically, how would you feel about that?
Old 10-01-2018, 09:58   #2504
scoobyood
Tony Danza

Thanked 1,100 Times in 548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shteve View Post
OTOH, if your financial data was compromised by rogue software taking advantage of a highly publicised security defect and a patch was available and not pushed out automatically, how would you feel about that?
Doesn't even take Rogue 'software'.. this has been demonstrated as possible to exploit via java script. Eg. You have Facebook or whatever site open, an advert is compromised on that page. That advert 'COULD' potentially look through your protected memory on your other browser tabs or even the OS.. searching for anything including, for instance, decryption keys within any software on your PC.
That's password stores, bitlocker, banking software... basically any data that might happen to pass by the small window in your low level system memory this exploit allows. Think of it like a key hole view into a room and in that room is every password used by your system, written in plain text on post-its all over the walls. Peer through that keyhole long enough and you can write down everything. That analogy probably needs some big fan in the room to blow the post-its around in the air though!
The Microsoft fix restricts the exploit to the same process/set of protected memory.. for Intel. AMD processors didn't typically allow the exploit to work outside of the same process.
Chrome loads every single tab/page and addin as it's own process in Windows, it should be fairly safe from this.. but another browser which doesn't separate out it's tasks might be less safe. They probably all do nowadays..
scoobyood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 13:00   #2505
mjr
Trusted User

Mozilla have altered the resolution of a timer in Firefox and disabled SharedArrayBuffer with the aim of preventing Javascript having access to high enough resoluting timing enough to pull off a cache attack:

https://blog.mozilla.org/security/20...timing-attack/

I believe Edge and Chrome implemented a similar change as well. It looks like all browsers will have to review how their Javascript JIT engines work as well. As the Mozilla blog post comments, this is going to require ongoing research.

Chrome only loads each origin in a separate process if you opt into it:
https://support.google.com/chrome/an...23121?hl=en-GB

(otherwise content from multiple origins can still share the same process.)
mjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 13:10   #2506

I tried that Chrome "chrome://flags/#enable-site-per-process" thingy but it stopped things like embedded Youtube videos working properly so I turn it off again.
Old 10-01-2018, 14:36   #2507
shteve
[o]EvilTwinkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobyood View Post
Doesn't even take Rogue 'software'.. this has been demonstrated as possible to exploit via java script. Eg. You have Facebook or whatever site open, an advert is compromised on that page. That advert 'COULD' potentially look through your protected memory on your other browser tabs or even the OS.. searching for anything including, for instance, decryption keys within any software on your PC.
I'd call that rogue software
Old 10-01-2018, 15:04   #2508
scoobyood
Tony Danza

Thanked 1,100 Times in 548 Posts
Quote:
I'd call that rogue software
I took 'rogue' as in someone had found some random online junkware and installed or a virus landed on your system and it hadn't been picked up by AV software etc. When using the term 'rogue software' most people wouldn't then consider Chrome or other such standard applications that are usually very trustworthy.

Indeed most applications will wander off to the internet and incorporate web pages at some stage. If someone managed to inject some funky .js into the advert banner on the AutoCAD landing page that loads every time you launch the AutoCAD suite applications... that basic browser code wouldn't likely be considered for extensive patching. If it's not just using IE/Windows that is...
scoobyood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 18:20   #2509
Shingster
Trusted User

Quote:
I don't have any financial data on my PC, or any other data that I can see causing an irreparable disaster were it hacked, so it's a moot point!
Old 11-01-2018, 12:59   #2510
shteve
[o]EvilTwinkle

I doubt MS would release Windows 10 Shingster version where only that version had the choice to install the patch or not . I'm sure plenty of other people use online banking even if you don't.
Old 11-01-2018, 13:03   #2511
vaderag
Gamertag: VaderAG

Can anyone here help... just got a Surface Book and Alt-F4 only works if Function Keys switched off - is there any way to make Alt override the Mute function when the F4 key is pressed? I don't want to disable the Fn keys, but Alt-F4 is used REGULARLY...
Old 11-01-2018, 16:51   #2512
shteve
[o]EvilTwinkle

The Fn button toggles the function keys on/off. Or you could get used to a 3 finger alt-f4, holding down the Fn button too.
Old 11-01-2018, 17:11   #2513
vaderag
Gamertag: VaderAG

Quote:
The Fn button toggles the function keys on/off. Or you could get used to a 3 finger alt-f4, holding down the Fn button too.
Thanks. Alt-F4 is so engrained i didn't want to change it!

I've solved using AutoHotKey - !vkAD:: send !{F4**
Old 11-01-2018, 17:46   #2514
Shingster
Trusted User

Quote:
I doubt MS would release Windows 10 Shingster version where only that version had the choice to install the patch or not . I'm sure plenty of other people use online banking even if you don't.
I'm not asking for my own personal version, I'm asking for an operating system that lets me decide when to install updates and stops holding my hand with automatic updates that I can't turn off. You honestly think that's unreasonable?

And my original point that you're mocking here was that I don't have any vital information on my PC for hackers to take and ruin my life with. So for me personally, I'm not going to be losing sleep over potential security exploits involved in blocking that ONE update temporarily while I get my **** together regarding the various apps affected by it.

Last edited by Shingster; 11-01-2018 at 17:50.
Old 11-01-2018, 17:52   #2515
shteve
[o]EvilTwinkle

When it comes to security updates, yes. How much flak did MS get when wannacrypt was travelling the world via unpatched windows machines? The Win10 forced security updates is pretty much a response to that.
Old 11-01-2018, 18:14   #2516
Shingster
Trusted User

So have all previous versions of windows been run by automatic updates that you couldn't turn off?
Old 11-01-2018, 21:18   #2517
shteve
[o]EvilTwinkle

No, hence the large amount of unpatched machines infecting the world despite a patch being available in windows update if people had bothered to apply it. MS announced with Win10 that they'd force updates on their users; Pro and above can defer non-security patches but security patches are applied at their behest. I do understand your perspective, but a small number of problems to individuals outweigh the benefits to the many (as Spock might say).
Old 11-01-2018, 22:13   #2518
wasted
Movie buff & Runner

Far as I know you could turn off windows updates when I was on win 7. More recently I got a new PC with windows 10 and I let it update and I guess thats the best option, I dont want to be unprotected, so just let windows do what it wants.
Old 11-01-2018, 22:32   #2519
Shingster
Trusted User

Quote:
No, hence the large amount of unpatched machines infecting the world despite a patch being available in windows update if people had bothered to apply it. MS announced with Win10 that they'd force updates on their users; Pro and above can defer non-security patches but security patches are applied at their behest. I do understand your perspective, but a small number of problems to individuals outweigh the benefits to the many (as Spock might say).
How the hell is giving me, the user the option to stop an update in any way affecting the many? The many can still choose to have automatic updates, by default, and not have to worry about anything, whereas as those of us whose PCs are being neutered by certain updates crippling crucial apps can get on with it.

What is the point in owning a PC if it's not fit for the purpose that you own it for because of updates you are powerless to do anything about? Yeah sure, my home theatre PC is astonishingly secure right now and no-ones gonna be stealing my financial data, but for the last couple of days I've not been using it for much more than surfing the web because the fans have been haywire! I built the damn thing so I could watch films/TV and game silently, not to keep a digital record of every financial detail that could cripple me should anyone hack in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasted View Post
Far as I know you could turn off windows updates when I was on win 7. More recently I got a new PC with windows 10 and I let it update and I guess thats the best option, I dont want to be unprotected, so just let windows do what it wants.
Yes and the world didn't explode did it? Funny how that works out and all. Where you hacked and had all your financial data stolen then robbed blind while you were on Windows 7 by any chance?
Old 12-01-2018, 08:38   #2520
wasted
Movie buff & Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingster View Post
Where you hacked and had all your financial data stolen then robbed blind while you were on Windows 7 by any chance?
I never had a problem but then I'm not an important corporation holding sensitive data and if I was I would expect to have much more security than just relying on an OS.