Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Computing Forum

Old 06-11-2017, 23:00   #2461
Shingster
Trusted User

Yeah sorry guys, I had already figured out how to access the sound options before I made that post! Don' have a classic shell app Chris so will look into that if I keep having problems finding where things are. It's weird, I'm not really used to usin the search bar that extensively because of how ***** it used to be! Guess I need to start using that more!

But yeah, my point was more why they feel the need to change these things without educating users on what has been done and how and where you can find things now. It seems to me the excuse that's always trotted out is "because". Could someone explain to me what it was specifically about Control Panel that was holding windows back?

Last edited by Shingster; 06-11-2017 at 23:02.
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 23:20   #2462
scoobyood
Tony Danza

Thanked 1,100 Times in 548 Posts
Win key + type.. 'Sound'
Win Key + 'Audio'
Win key + 'speakers'
Win key + 'Mixer'
Win key + 'Adjust sound'

scoobyood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 23:33   #2463
zantarous
Xbox Live tag: wargame

Your average user would never go in control panel, it's worse when you work in IT you are forever looking for options you know exist but can't find.

In my opinion the old CP was a mess and the new settings app is far more logically laid out, but I am sure that will change over time.

If you keep up with Windows blogs or YouTube videos they do show you the changes in lots of details, but again most people won't watch them. Would you sit and watch a tutorial video every time they made a change?
zantarous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 01:54   #2464
Shingster
Trusted User

OK, this piece of **** operating system has started updating my graphics card without my permission. In order to stop this from happening I've had to block device installation settings by switching it to "no". Will this screw around with anything else, or am I good to go?
Old 19-11-2017, 07:51   #2465
target
Trusted User

Thanked 4,414 Times in 1,988 Posts
it's psychic and was putting on the AC:O Game Ready driver for you.
target is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
Shingster (20-11-2017)
Old 19-11-2017, 08:22   #2466
driver8
eviscerate your memory

Thanked 2,167 Times in 925 Posts
How to Uninstall and Block Updates and Drivers on Windows 10

How to Stop Windows 10 From Automatically Updating Hardware Drivers
driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked 2 times by:
Listy (20-11-2017), mjr (19-11-2017)
Old 20-11-2017, 04:07   #2467
Shingster
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by target View Post
it's psychic and was putting on the AC:O Game Ready driver for you.
Haha! You think Ubisoft might be slipping microsoft some money? The installation is completely borked though, not only was the nvidia panel no longer working, the Geforce Experience was buggered and my frame rate display was on permanently. That's how I'd noticed it had happened. Windows has never attempted to automatically install a graphics driver before and never should imo. Microsoft need to stop trying to micromanage people's entire PCs.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:33   #2468
driver8
eviscerate your memory

Thanked 2,167 Times in 925 Posts
Windows search has been diabolical for a decade.

Check out 'Agent Ransack' - https://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/

and 'FileSeek' - https://www.fileseek.ca/Download/

And I've just heard about 'Everything' - https://www.voidtools.com/ which has prompted this post - *instant* search results = witchcraft !!

(Why aren't the post format buttons working for me ?!)
driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 11:00   #2469
Chris Locke
Making a 1% improvement

Thanked 1,577 Times in 515 Posts
'Everything' is great. Fantastic on a network server whetre the users will accidentally drag folders into other folders, then moan they've lost years worth of work. aah, there it is.
It searches via the NTFS index, and creates its own little database. Now you've got to wonder why this isn't built into the OS like ZIP support is. It should be a standard feature.
Same with Agent Ransack. Been using that for years, and its great for finding text in PDF files. Microsoft bought the SysInternals guys as their stuff was really good, and should reward other developers for improving the OS....
Chris Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 11:01   #2470
scoobyood
Tony Danza

Thanked 1,100 Times in 548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingster View Post
Haha! You think Ubisoft might be slipping microsoft some money? The installation is completely borked though, not only was the nvidia panel no longer working, the Geforce Experience was buggered and my frame rate display was on permanently. That's how I'd noticed it had happened. Windows has never attempted to automatically install a graphics driver before and never should imo. Microsoft need to stop trying to micromanage people's entire PCs.
Indeed. If their concern is that granny on her laptop will never get security updates... All they need to do is provide a tick box "I know what I'm doing/this machine can't reboot, so I'd like to manage my own updates and confirm every reboot".. then a few options "provide security updates automatically and/or provide driver updates automatically.. on/off"

That is trivial work for them to provide.

Windows reliability in graphics and multiple displays is getting worse. It's now critical they fix this OS. My PC will not remember I have two screens and I have to reenable one every time I restart. They need adding monitors and disconnecting seamless.. W10 still acts like Window 98 when you connect or dock undock. Screens blank out.. all your icons jump around.. open applications jump from screen or resize themselves.

It's maddening when some of the worse devices at this are Surfaces. We have hundred at work, I have a surface book and official dock with it. The dock is an unreliable piece of crap.

Then when you look to the next version of Windows in the insiders program, the blog goes into 'amazing' updates for Edge or Emojis being added to the on-screen keyboard. Worthless. Theyves added a poeple button to the taskbar! These are all apps and app updates... Why do we need to do a 45min update twice a year for apps? Why can't the Edge team update edge as and when required.. or the highly important 'Emoji team' drop their work in updates which I can turn off. The OS updates should be meaningful and advance the platform. The build numbers for the OS are increasing at a fast rate in the last few years. They must have extensive machine learning testing thousands of virtual and physical test systems checking for faults daily.... Why isn't this OS built proof?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
scoobyood is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
Shingster (14-12-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 11:11   #2471
Chris Locke
Making a 1% improvement

Thanked 1,577 Times in 515 Posts
Just a nod that if you've any Win 7 / Win 8 machines that you haven't yet upgraded to Win 10 for free, the last door closes at the end of this month.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/acce...ndows10upgrade

If you do want to upgrade, but not yet, you can image your PC, upgrade, then put back the image. When you later install Win 10, it will automatically activate.
Chris Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2017, 08:31   #2472
LV426
Trusted User

Yes, that last bit is important; you can permanently licence your machine for Win10 by installing and activating it once. You can then revert the machine if you care to; the fact it has been activated once remains flagged at MS so if then re-install Win10 later on the same box, it will activate again.
LV426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2017, 14:38   #2473
ascender
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LV426 View Post
Yes, that last bit is important; you can permanently licence your machine for Win10 by installing and activating it once. You can then revert the machine if you care to; the fact it has been activated once remains flagged at MS so if then re-install Win10 later on the same box, it will activate again.
Does that work for all license types? We've just gone through this process, have ended up with a machine which won't activate and the only option from MS is to buy a full copy of Windows 10 as apparently the license type doesn't support a reinstall of any sort. I kid you not.

In other exciting Windows 10 news, I made the mistake of not turning a Win10 laptop on for a few weeks and needing to do something urgently its just going through a constant cycle of "working on updates" which is now in to its second hour. No option to defer, just launched straight in to it after logging on.

And while I'm on a rant, when did Lenovo decide it was a good idea to do away with the traditional function key to get in to bios and boot menu and replace it with a handy recessed button that you need to poke a paperclip in to?!?!?

Edit: Its now undoing the changes as it couldn't complete them.... *sigh* 😔

Last edited by ascender; 16-12-2017 at 14:41.
ascender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2017, 16:57   #2474
mjr
Trusted User

Digital Entitlements are supposed to just re-activate automatically:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...-10-activation

Quote:
If you activated a free upgrade to Windows 10 or bought and activated Windows 10 from the Microsoft Store, you have a digital license for your device. This means you can reinstall the same edition of Windows 10 that your device has a digital license for without entering a product key. During reinstallation, if you’re asked to enter a product key, you can skip this step. Windows 10 will automatically activate online after the installation is complete.
If that doesn't work and you were using a Microsoft Account to sign into your computer, then you're supposed to be able to re-associate the licence with the Activation Troubleshooter.
mjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2017, 22:05   #2475
Wooglie
Rurouni

I read somewhere that it's worth logging into windows with your microsoft account, because then that license is associated to that account.
Wooglie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2017, 11:43   #2476
ascender
Trusted User

Yes, that’s right, the MS account has licenses/computers linked to it and they do seem able to do some jiggery-pokery with those in terms of re-activating on a different machine, but it seems to be one of those things which isn’t guaranteed to work.

Do MS still make a large chunk of revenue from OS sales compared to their other software and services?
ascender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2017, 12:00   #2477

Due to some bad luck I've been through 3 motherboards in as many weeks and Windows eventually decided to stop activating (I can't blame it really) so I spoke to someone on their live chat who logged into my PC, took over the mouse, typed some stuff and got it all activated for me. I was quite impressed really

That's on a retail license that was originally Windows 7 then, then upgraded (paid I think?) to 8 and finally to Windows 10.
Old 18-12-2017, 15:19   #2478
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,536 Times in 501 Posts
Just finally did the latest update on my laptop which I'd been putting off.

1hr 30min!! Bloody hell. I could have done a fresh install of Windows quicker than that.
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2017, 17:45   #2479
target
Trusted User

Thanked 4,414 Times in 1,988 Posts
yeah, last round of updates was a biggie. We were told by our IT manager at work to kick them off before leaving work so they go over night.
target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2017, 18:34   #2480
Q
Yee Ol Forum Pirate Ahhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by target View Post
yeah, last round of updates was a biggie. We were told by our IT manager at work to kick them off before leaving work so they go over night.
Ive just cloned my Sammy SSD and going to update to the latest version as Im still on 1607 I think.

I cloned it as a backup and might just do a fresh reinstall when I get chance.

Last edited by Q; 18-12-2017 at 18:36.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote