Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Old 30-11-2010, 13:48   #541
Welshlad
Taffy O'Jones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanedaa View Post
I'm enjoying this. Ep5 seemed to have a big plot hole (presumably a deleted scene):

I noticed that but couldn't remember why they said they broke down and just assumed it was overheating and after a stop it cooled down enough to drive on?
Welshlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2010, 14:15   #542
kanedaa
XBL: kanedaa

Thanked 1,704 Times in 1,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshlad View Post
I noticed that but couldn't remember why they said they broke down and just assumed it was overheating and after a stop it cooled down enough to drive on?
I guess spoilers aren't really necessary for this. They said it was the hose and that it was more duct tape than hose. The impression left was that they weren't going any further without a replacement. It was more the fact Shane was there in the scene immediately after the one inside the RV between Rick and Jim. There was no sense of time passing (and certainly not enough for Shane to go ahead and come back). And of course there was no attempt to show any repair job taking place. Once again it just felt like there was a scene or two cut for time, or a poor piece of writing used to get them to stop for a pivotal scene in the episode.
kanedaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2010, 14:21   #543
baloobas
Resident Geebag

This was the show I was most looking forward to this year so I'm suprised I dislike it so much. The characters are as annoying as the cast of 24, its moving like a lethargic slug and compared to Sunday's two other great shows (Dexter and Boardwalk Empire) it's dramatically inept. I hate it when people say this but the comic is much better.
Hope it improves for season two.
baloobas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2010, 14:25   #544
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woz View Post
Anyone know what the viewing figures are doing?
Hope it doesn't lose momentum with it being such a short series.
Apparently it has 'gained' viewers progressively, so it's done very well indeed for a cable show.
LouBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2010, 14:49   #545
Woz
Viva indifference

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanedaa View Post
I guess spoilers aren't really necessary for this. They said it was the hose and that it was more duct tape than hose. The impression left was that they weren't going any further without a replacement. It was more the fact Shane was there in the scene immediately after the one inside the RV between Rick and Jim. There was no sense of time passing (and certainly not enough for Shane to go ahead and come back). And of course there was no attempt to show any repair job taking place. Once again it just felt like there was a scene or two cut for time, or a poor piece of writing used to get them to stop for a pivotal scene in the episode.
They mentioned this hose WAY back didn't they? Was it when they were stripping the car with the alarm sounding? No, I think it was the panel van - they planned to take it from the panel van...
Woz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2010, 23:37   #546
scoobyood
Tony Danza

Thanked 1,157 Times in 575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chick21 View Post
Felt like they did an entire season of Lost in 1 episode...very interested to see if this will lead fully on to the 2nd season or tie it up in the first 6.
Season and a half, the CDC guy was pure Desmond/hatch... Hazmat suite to 1960's control room. If he doesn't call some one brother next week I'll be sorely disappointed.

Episode 5 was great, the scenes at the beginning particularly. I was on the edge of my seat waiting for that girl to bite her. They didn't go that route though, they drew the tension out perfectly and turned it so that it was clear the woman knew what she was doing the whole time. Excellent bit of writing.

Anyone else think that the CDC guy really needs that fresh sample they've just left by the side of the road?

Last edited by scoobyood; 30-11-2010 at 23:40.
scoobyood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 00:14   #547
kanedaa

Quote:
They mentioned this hose WAY back didn't they? Was it when they were stripping the car with the alarm sounding? No, I think it was the panel van - they planned to take it from the panel van...
yeah they mentioned it in a previous episode saying it won't get very far without a replacement, but they weren't able to take it from the van because it was stolen. in ep5 when the RV breaks down they mention the hose again as the reason. that's why it stood out so much. it was all well established and then more or less forgotten once the Jim situation took centre stage.
Old 01-12-2010, 00:37   #548
Shingster
Trusted User

Yeah it did seem strange that they essentially built this small detail up over two episodes only to deal with it "off camera", but I think the problem is just one of anti-climax rather than any bad story-telling as it makes perfect sense that they would wait for Shane to return to the fold before approaching the CDC center.

The reason it seems so disjointed chronologically is because it was essentially a subjective time-skip as we switch to the POV of a character who no longer has any sense of time and thus neither does the viewer, but basically we see Shane go off in the morning/afternoon and then switch to CDC guy and spend the day with him, then they all arrive at the CDC gates around dusk. I guess they didn't want to interrupt the flow of the CDC scenes to show Shane getting back and the group fixing the van, but as you say without seeing that return it makes their arrival at the CDC slightly confusing!
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:38   #549
RCW
XBL - RCW41

didn't really understand the end of this one, why did they walk past so many automatic weapons by the bodies when they made such a big deal about going back for the bag?

shame there are only 6.
RCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:42   #550
kanedaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingster View Post
The reason it seems so disjointed chronologically is because it was essentially a subjective time-skip as we switch to the POV of a character who no longer has any sense of time and thus neither does the viewer, but basically we see Shane go off in the morning/afternoon and then switch to CDC guy and spend the day with him, then they all arrive at the CDC gates around dusk. I guess they didn't want to interrupt the flow of the CDC scenes to show Shane getting back and the group fixing the van, but as you say without seeing that return it makes their arrival at the CDC slightly confusing!
I'm really not that bothered about it (cos it probably sounds like I was going nuts about it by now, whereas it was just a quick wtf moment), but chronologically that's not right. Shane apparently goes off and comes back in the time it takes Rick to talk to Jim in the RV. He says "i'm off" as Rick is ushered into the RV to talk with Jim, and once that conversation between Rick and Jim is over it cuts to everyone (Shane included) discussing what to do next outside the RV. The section with the CDC guy isn't until after they're already back on the road.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:54   #551
Cade Foster
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCW View Post
didn't really understand the end of this one, why did they walk past so many automatic weapons by the bodies when they made such a big deal about going back for the bag?

shame there are only 6.
I dont think all te bodys are dead so they did not want to wake them thats why they were saying be quiet.
Cade Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:29   #552
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Quote:
Also, ammunition for a military weapon, is likely to be harder to come by. It would also be easier for an untrained civilian to fire a shotgun or a rifle, than it would for them to fire successfully something a soldier might use.

Oh and
Old 01-12-2010, 09:14   #553
RCW
XBL - RCW41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cade Foster View Post
I dont think all te bodys are dead so they did not want to wake them thats why they were saying be quiet.
makes sense, I assumed most were "dead" zombies

Quote:
Also, ammunition for a military weapon, is likely to be harder to come by.
maybe, but would imagine crossbow bolts are probably harder to come by & bodies would probably have ammo on them, just seemed a bit weird after the bag thing.
RCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:32   #554
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Quote:
maybe, but would imagine crossbow bolts are probably harder to come by & bodies would probably have ammo on them, just seemed a bit weird after the bag thing.
Crossbow bolts can be reused.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:18   #555
Woz
Viva indifference

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouBarlow View Post
Also, ammunition for a military weapon, is likely to be harder to come by. It would also be easier for an untrained civilian to fire a shotgun or a rifle, than it would for them to fire successfully something a soldier might use.
In America? I don't think so!
The rounds for a lot of weapons are standardised. Besides, if you saw a bunch of weapons that took a certain type of round surely you'd pick them up in case you came across a a supply of that type of round?

"5.56x45mm NATO (official NATO nomenclature 5.56 NATO) is a rifle cartridge developed in the United States and originally chambered in the M16 rifle. Under STANAG 4172, it is a standard cartridge for NATO forces as well as many non-NATO countries."

and 43 examples of guns that use that round
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._NATO_firearms

I've not seen the ep in question but it sounds like all those other series where you shout 'Pick up the dead guy's gun!!!!" at the screen.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:32   #556
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Quote:
In America? I don't think so!
The rounds for a lot of weapons are standardised. Besides, if you saw a bunch of weapons that took a certain type of round surely you'd pick them up in case you came across a a supply of that type of round?

"5.56x45mm NATO (official NATO nomenclature 5.56 NATO) is a rifle cartridge developed in the United States and originally chambered in the M16 rifle. Under STANAG 4172, it is a standard cartridge for NATO forces as well as many non-NATO countries."

and 43 examples of guns that use that round
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._NATO_firearms

I've not seen the ep in question but it sounds like all those other series where you shout 'Pick up the dead guy's gun!!!!" at the screen.
They were 50cal mounted machine guns were they not? I wasn't paying that much attention though obviously.

The biggest flaw for me is why the people didn't just barricade themselves inside the structure, which looked pretty much zombie-proof.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:38   #557
Guest 40923
Trusted User

you talk about guns & ammo problems but i would like to know why they just dont set the zombies alight ( eg if there crowed all by one fence - just poor petrol over them.. and... see ya )

Last edited by messia09; 01-12-2010 at 10:41.
Guest 40923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:40   #558
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Wouldn't destroy the brain would it?
Old 01-12-2010, 10:42   #559
rustybin
Xbox/PSN Tag: Rustybin69

Quote:
Originally Posted by messia09 View Post
you talk about guns & ammo problems but i would like to know why they just dont set the zombies alight ( eg if there crowed all by one fence - just poor petrol over them.. and... see ya )
Someone's clearly not read The Zombie Survival Guide

Buy it now for yourself, and everyone you love and care about: -

Most Important Book Ever Written
rustybin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:47   #560
Woz
Viva indifference

Quote:
Wouldn't destroy the brain would it?
Would burn out the eyes though - how threatening is a blind zombie?
In fact, why don't their eyes rot or dry out!

Quote:
They were 50cal mounted machine guns were they not? I wasn't paying that much attention though obviously.
Not seen the ep yet, so I don't know.

Quote:
The biggest flaw for me is why the people didn't just barricade themselves inside the structure, which looked pretty much zombie-proof.
He walked through a walled military base right at the beginning of the TV series while still in his hospital gear. Personally I'd have headed right back there once I found my family.
It sounds like the characters are starting to behave like they do in many series - without thinking and in a way that's just to drive the plot forward

I know that if the zombie apocolypse came my way I'd be heading to Windsor Castle - massive space, extremely well protected and with a military base just down the road.
And there's a Carluccio's in town.

Last edited by Woz; 01-12-2010 at 10:54.