Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Old 15-04-2008, 09:06   #1
TonyG
Xbox Live: Tony Gster

Cool Upcoming New US TV Shows '08-'09

NBC are the first to announce their new shows, starting September '08. It certainly looks like the strike has had an effect as these sound lame...

MY OWN WORST ENEMY - Henry Spivey (Christian Slater) is a middle-class efficiency expert living a humdrum life in the suburbs with a wife, two kids, a dog, and a minivan. Edward Albright is an operative who speaks 13 languages, runs a four-minute mile, and is trained to kill with his teeth. Henry and Edward are polar opposites who share only one thing in common -- the same body. When the carefully constructed wall between them breaks down, Henry and Edward are thrust into unfamiliar territory where each man is dangerously out of his element. "My Own Worst Enemy" explores the duality of a man who is literally pitted against himself. And it raises the question: who can you trust when you can't trust yourself?

CRUSOE - Based on the legendary novel by Daniel Defoe, this is the tale of Robinson Crusoe. A young man leaves his true love to embark on an adventure -- only to end up shipwrecked on a remote tropical island for 28 years, completely detached from the life he once knew. His desire to return to his wife and his strong and unlikely friendship with Friday are the only things that keep him sane. While stranded, Crusoe encounters enemies and braves the elements. Equal parts "MacGyver," "Castaway" and "Pirates of the Caribbean," this series is an inspirational tale of survival rife with action and comedy.

KINGS -- "Kings" is an inspiring exploration of the timeless David vs. Goliath struggle. The show is set in a modern metropolis under siege where the fighting has gone on for too long and cost far too many lives. When David Shepherd (Christopher Egan), a brave young soldier, rescues the king's (Ian McShane) son from enemy territory, he sets events in motion that will finally bring peace. Suddenly, David is thrust into the limelight, earning the affections of women -- including the king's daughter. When he's promoted to captain, he becomes the reluctant poster boy for hope. But for David, the line between his allies and enemies will blur as the power players in the kingdom go to great lengths to see him fall. From the director (Francis Lawrence) of the blockbuster movie "I Am Legend" comes the ultimate story of David vs. Goliath, and there's no telling who will win.

MERLIN - "Merlin" brings to life a new legend for a modern audience. "Merlin" is an exciting, hour-long fantasy series set in the mythic city of Camelot -- but inspired by 21st Century storytelling. Before Merlin (Colin Morgan) and Arthur (Bradley James) became legends, they were ambitious young men looking for adventure, hoping to live up to their family's expectations, discovering love and finding their own true destiny, making mistakes along the way. The innovative, action-packed drama has cross-generational appeal and paints a picture of Merlin and Arthur's early life that audiences have never witnessed before. Anthony Head, Richard Wilson, Angel Coulby and Katie McGrath also star.

THE PHILANTHROPIST -- This one-hour drama is about a rebel with a cause. Teddy Rist loves women, money and power. After the tragic death of his only child, Teddy has an awakening and becomes the world's first vigilante philanthropist -- a renegade billionaire who uses his wealth, connections and power to help people in need. He'll do anything to achieve his goals -- bargain with the self-righteous, trade with the nefarious and even tell the truth. Instead of spending $25,000 a plate at a fundraiser, he's dodging bullets in third-world countries to hand-deliver vaccine. It's a global adventure that will take viewers to the ends of the Earth and will inspire them as well.

THE LISTENER -- In this one-hour drama, Toby Logan (Craig Olejnik) is a 24-year-old paramedic living with a secret: he can read people's minds. This telepathic procedural takes viewers into the heart of a tortured hero who struggles to solve crimes with his unique gift. Week-to-week, "The Listener" balances high-stakes drama with irreverent humor and sends Toby on an intellectual and emotional adventure.

Any of the above get your juices flowing? .... The Philanthropist sounds so bad (Vigilante Philanthropist?!? ... Renegade Billionaire?!? ) it actually might work, especially as "Homicide" creators, Tom Fontana & Barry Levinson are involved.
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2008, 09:09   #2
Lorne.t
Trusted User

I'll give them all six weeks!!
Lorne.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2008, 09:18   #3
alsemail
Bibble....

OMG!!!

That is some real dirge if ever I saw it.
They cancel some decent shows and replace them with this drivel or even worse, more reality TV.

Mind you what do I know they'll probably all be massive hits with their own thread each on here...........
alsemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2008, 11:55   #4
Guest 8391
Gamertag: FreelanceBard

I think they all sound....interesting.
Guest 8391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2008, 12:01   #5
charlie angel
Trusted Schmoozer

From the synopses, there's nothing of interest to me - let's hope the final products are better.
charlie angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2008, 12:17   #6
gavinhanly
Trusted User

Hmm - the Slater one and the McShane one sound like they might have potential. The action-charity-man sounds terrible, and Merlin has disaster written all over it...
Old 15-04-2008, 12:31   #7
TonyG

The BBC are involved with "Merlin" so I expect something along the lines of the horrifically appalling Robin Hood.
Old 15-04-2008, 12:32   #8
Guest 43206
Isn't it?

The Slater one sounds OK, the others sound like a great way to **** a load of money away.
Guest 43206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2008, 12:32   #9
Richie
Trusted User

wtf is "21st Century storytelling"? Crap by committee?

A show about a man "trained to kill with his teeth"? How could that fail!

If this is the kind of "high concept" **** that's coming out way then the next tv season is going to be very thin indeed. I hope some of the other networks have got a few gems in the wings.

Last edited by Richie; 15-04-2008 at 12:37.
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2008, 12:39   #10
TonyG

.... Nothing official yet from other Networks but i've had a look at what we can expect & we've got the following to maybe look forward to....

The Mentalist - Drama which centers on a mentalist who uses his skills of observation to solve crimes as an independent detective working with the police.

The Prince of Motor City - A gothic family soap inspired by william shakespeare's "hamlet," which is set in the world of the Detroit auto industry.

I'm not making those up!
Old 15-04-2008, 12:43   #11
Richie
Trusted User

The Mentalist sounds like a less fun complete rip-off of Psych!
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2008, 12:47   #12
Guest 20043
Trusted User

any hotties to ease the pain
Guest 20043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2008, 12:57   #13
TonyG

Rosalund Pike's name popped up on a pilot about Chicago reporters. That's about it for Hotties that I can recall so far....

Getting back to daft shows coming soon (maybe)....

The Expert - A reclusive librarian with a unique condition called synesthesia works with the police squad to aid in their investigations. Synesthesia allows her to mix her various senses - she smells sounds, hears colors and feels words enabling her to explore unconventional ways to pursue criminals.

I'm starting to see a pattern here. Is the US police force that bad that they have to rely on all these people with strange powers to help them solve crime?
Old 15-04-2008, 13:13   #14
Guest 4466
Out of the water

I like the sound of Kings, actually, and not just because of McShane.
Guest 4466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2008, 13:22   #15
charlie angel
Trusted Schmoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyG View Post
The Mentalist - Drama which centers on a mentalist who uses his skills of observation to solve crimes as an independent detective working with the police.
I live in hope that they get Alan Partridge to do the introduction link for this one.
charlie angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2008, 13:37   #16
TonyG

Ooooooh! ... Lots of delicious Reality tv shows to look forward to....

Celebrity Garage Sale - Host, Illeana Douglas helps famous friends get rid of their unwanted junk, personal items and dusty memorabilia by having their own garage sale to benefit their favorite charity.

Clash of the Music Videos - Reality competition series in which contestants will be given a small amount of money to remake a classic 1980s music video with the actual stars of the original video serving as judges.

Going for Broke - A competition series where women in financial trouble battle to have their debt forgiven.

Man Vs Cartoon - Wile E. Coyote never caught the Roadrunner, despite an endless stream of gadgets from the Acme Corp. In MAN VS. CARTOON, truTV is ready to put some of those gadgets to the test. A crack team of scientists, engineers and mad inventors at New Mexico Tech will investigate the possibilities, such as whether a pair of rocket skates could work in real life.

...and leaving the best to last....

Smile! You're Under Arrest! - Non-violent criminal suspects with outstanding warrants are lured out of hiding with promises of riches and other rewards, only to discover that they've been duped by law-enforcement officials.
Old 15-04-2008, 15:38   #17
Lorne.t
Trusted User

You missed out Sniffer.

Set in downtown LA, Sniffer showcases the talents of Jason Trabain.
A rookie detective with a unique sense of smell.
Partnered with an attractive older woman Trabain uses his exceptional power to sniff out crimes wherever they happen.
Lorne.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2008, 15:43   #18
carryonline
Bon viveur

Seriously?

Oh my god. Just when you thought TV couldn't get any more stupid
carryonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2008, 08:36   #19
Coolhand
Idiot detector

I'm waiting for

The Turd Amendment in which a lump of faeces uses his unique skills to solve crime in 17th century Boston, while campaigning to stop soldiers being billeted in people's homes.
Coolhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2008, 15:16   #20
Guest 13289
Spoon Archivist

Location: Where the streets have no name - because of vandalism...
I give The Listener three weeks...
Guest 13289 is offline   Reply With Quote