Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gaming Forums > Video Games Forum

Old 25-04-2008, 20:21   #121
internetuser
XBL / PSN : Googleboogle

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/...available-now/

Being just one day shy from a much needed weekend — isn’t every weekend a needed weekend? – I’m sure many of you have already penned in various activities in your filofax/pda/napkin/bathroom mirror/etc; and while I’m not here to judge how the quality (or legality) of your weekend plans, I am here to let you know that if there are some time gaps between your fun-doing, you can fill it up with some serious Hot Shots Golf online action.
So what’s with all the noise? Simply put, it’s the much awaited (and promised) Stroke and Match Online Play download patch that is making its way around the wired – for FREE! No coupons necessary, no forms to fill, no seminar to attend… it’s gratis (free). To take advantage of this very-berry unlimited offer, follow the steps below.
• Insert Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds disc into PS3
• Go to the online features
• Watch the goodness stream into your PS3 from our servers.
* Note: please make sure to have a valid PSN account and to be logged on prior to download.
So what’s in the new menu item you ask? First of all, this new Online feature will let you roam about the course as you see fit, taunt other golfers while you wait your turn, and be magically transported back to your spot once it’s your turn - - and of course, this new feature will also take advantage of all the HSG rules you’ve come to love and expect.
Also, we’ve been really happy to see the crazy avatar combinations you’ve come up with, so to mix it up a bit, we’ll be adding some more items as we move along… but in the meantime, we’ve thrown in a soccer balls in a couple of the lobbies to get you guys going on some impromptu footie action.
Meanwhile, back at the hamster ranch…
Some of you might have experienced some server issues in the past few weeks – and we’ve noticed them too! So to mend this we’ve fed the server hamsters and greased the wheels; things should be running a lot smoother now.
That is all for now today, but keep an eye out for more Hot Shots Golf news on DLC content - - till then, see you here, or there or maybe even over there.
internetuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 20:56   #122
Mr M0by
[DVDF] Gedi

Just discovered that you can play games in Stroke Mode, so not only do you get to take more time between shots, to talk and to taunt but I can strut my stuff around the circuit and stamp my pretty little feet on the green in front of them.

Last edited by Mr M0by; 02-06-2008 at 20:57.
Mr M0by is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 06:58   #123
T4V
PSN=The4thViewer XBL=t4v

I will get back to this game as soon as I've finished GTA.... promise!
T4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2008, 13:11   #124
JohnMac
XBL: JohnMacUK

I've got Everybody's Golf now and it took a bit of time to install, but that was nothing compared to how long it is taking to download the update. I went and had my lunch, came back and it was only up to 29%. Really don't see why it should take this long for an update. Waiting for the update with the music playing is like being stuck in a lift.

Before I started the update I checked the information website from the main menu and there was something about a new course to download but I'm not sure if it is available yet or how much it costs.

I hope to get to play this soon (update permitting).
JohnMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2008, 13:43   #125
nsb
Trusted User

There is a new course and 2 extra characters on the store. They take longer than they should to download aswell.
nsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2008, 15:09   #126
T4V
PSN=The4thViewer XBL=t4v

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsb View Post
There is a new course and 2 extra characters on the store. They take longer than they should to download aswell.
Are they 2 new characters on top of the 2 that have been available for the last 2-3 weeks? How much is the course?
T4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2008, 15:12   #127
nsb
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4V View Post
Are they 2 new characters on top of the 2 that have been available for the last 2-3 weeks? How much is the course?
They are still the 2 characters that have been on there for a week, Gloria and the brunette bird. The new course is £2.99 and pretty good.
Old 26-06-2008, 15:24   #128
JohnMac

Had a quick practice round to get the hang of the controls, retrying shots to see if I could improve etc. I will have a go at the Challenge Mode later which I assume is the main single player mode where you improve your stats or gain access to other playable characters?

First impressions are very positive. Yes it has the colourful visuals and the family friendly style but you don't have to play much of Everybody's Golf to appreciate this plays a good game of golf. The course I've played on seems quite realistic i.e. looks like a real world course not some fantasy style course. The advanced club swing is great to use and the putting isn't too easy. So easy to pick up and play but probably quite hard to master. I imagine this is going to be very good online.
Old 26-06-2008, 15:28   #129
nsb
Trusted User

It gets a lot more fun as your characters level up aswell and unlock better clubs/balls/attire and special spin shots.
Old 26-06-2008, 18:24   #130
odin
PSN/XBL: odin1979

Still one of my favourite games on the PS3, always keep coming back to it, great fun online aswell.

New course is pretty good despite the awful music, can be very tricky at times though.
Old 27-06-2008, 09:06   #131
JohnMac

I got the new golf course last night but I think it must have been part of the update even if you couldn't play it. The reason I say that is because the update took ages and the course download took about 5 seconds.

I beat the first Vs challenge and I'm now on to Beginner level with a new course in Japan unlocked. I'm also Level 3 but I don't know what that means.
Old 27-06-2008, 10:21   #132
wocko
Trusted User

Levelling up lets you use the crazy skill shots (super back spin etc) and gets you more power shots to use during a round.
wocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2008, 19:18   #133
Mr M0by
[DVDF] Gedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMac View Post
I got the new golf course last night but I think it must have been part of the update even if you couldn't play it. The reason I say that is because the update took ages and the course download took about 5 seconds.
Supposedly it's the other way & the course download merely gives you access to it via a game update. Only people that bought the course have been prompted for an in-game update.
Old 27-06-2008, 19:40   #134
JohnMac

About half an hour ago I 'experienced' the Online lobby system; that was a surreal experience. Peoples' avatars milling about in different rooms. I had absolutely no clue what to do in there, it was crazy. I was the only one with a car for legs so I drove around the room. Not sure if people were actively setting up games or just hanging out there. How does it work?

Last edited by JohnMac; 27-06-2008 at 19:47.
Old 27-06-2008, 19:49   #135
sirp
Gamertag: SirP23

JohnMac, you book tee times

then you just....walk about if you wish, and avatar away
sirp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2008, 19:49   #136
Mr M0by
[DVDF] Gedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMac View Post
BTW, about half an hour ago I 'experienced' the Online lobby system; that was a surreal experience. Peoples' avatars milling about in different rooms. I had absolutely no clue what to do in there, it was crazy. I was the only one with a car for legs so I drove around the room. Not sure if people were actively setting up games or just hanging out there. How does it work?
You can use the select/start buttons to access some official tournaments and then wait on the Tee-Times for the event!!!, meet up with friends before starting games or just hang out! The amount of times I've been kicking a ball around with my brother in a lobby before shouting out "Toilet Break!" and then rushing over to a near-by tent.... Don't think i'll ever tire of that.
Old 27-06-2008, 19:59   #137
JohnMac

I've not seen a lobby system like that before, it was kind of cool just seeing people expressing themselves in their own way. Probably the closest I've seen to what Home might be like and meeting up with people in that sort of environment. Very interesting but a bit of shock at first because I didn't know what I was supposed to be doing.
Old 29-06-2008, 09:48   #138
Steve Jackson
Lethargic Video Gamer

I completed the last challenge on the first course this morning, but found it a bit of a step up on the next. It's my putting mainly that lets me down. I need much more practice.

Would I find the earlier courses much easier though if I bought Gloria, an expert golfer, from the PS Store?
Old 29-06-2008, 10:41   #139
Mr M0by
[DVDF] Gedi

What mode do you use Traditional or Advanced? If it's the former, I'd definitely try the latter, as that's what most tend to use and I don't find putting too bad with that. I might not be able to make any spectacular putts (unless using Big Cups!!) but can usually get at least close enough with my first putt to sink the second. I find that if i'm maybe 10m+ away from the pin, it's better to have landed on the fringe or slightly off the green, as I chip in from there far more regularly than i putt.

It's my 2nd shots that i have problems with. I can't judge the power of the advanced swing & more often than not don't get close enough to the pin to putt in my first attempt. I haven't actually tried playing around with all the different spin types that can be unlocked though. Pitching from about 30/40yds is ok though because obviously if you're a little out of line with your power a 5% error on 30yds is a lot less than 5% of 200. Plus the 'sparkle' that happens mid power is a useful indicator at that range.

As for whether Gloria and other Expert Golfers help, I'd assume they do but it would still be a case of practicing with them in order to know how to make the best use of their abilities.... ie Spins towards the hole etc.
Old 15-07-2008, 18:31   #140
TonyG
Xbox Live: Tony Gster

Finally got this today, panicked when it didn't do any sort of update, then selected online, said it was checking versions, then screen went completely black. If it wasn't for the music still playing, i'd assumed it had crashed. Fortunately it didn't take too long & had a quick go on the first single-player challenge. Went straight for the Advanced mode & enjoying that, makes it much more challenging. Won the challenge, despite a nasty triple-bogey & earned myself some unlocks already..... I'm hooked.

Will play through the rest of the week & hopefully be ready to join you all online for the weekend.
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote