Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Old 20-06-2011, 21:42   #841
Guest 22025
Steppin' Razor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime View Post
Been ages since I read the book but I always assumed
I think the fact she said:

sorta supports this idea.
Guest 22025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2011, 21:46   #842
Shingster
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON ADEBISI View Post
Me neither. Come on shingster and explain it to us
I've got no idea either, it wasn't in the books! I think HBO just wanted to show Esmé Bianco's body off one last time this season whilst reminding us that there's more to Pycell than meets the eye. This is still a US show afterall so they're probably contractually obligated to treat their audience like ******* idiots every few episodes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff homewood View Post
I liked Tyrion calling his dad a **** as well! So did we finally meet the other Baratheon as there was a scene with two blokes I didn't recognise, but then it might be Roberts brother we have met and I'd forgotten what he look like! Also the comment on the Stark behind the wall also confused me, whats that all about, has that been covered before?
Ned's younger brother Benjen, as previously mentioned we saw him in the first couple of episodes when he came down from The Wall to Winterfell when Robert came to make Ned Hand, he then led Jon and Tyrion back to The Wall.

Do you remember the opening sequence with those Nightswatchmen being attacked by the White Walkers? The leader of that group was Waymar Royce (the one beheaded) who was a Ranger of the Nightswatch (the guys who are given missions beyond the wall) and Benjen was the leader of the Rangers, so he led some men to find Waymar Royce but now they've gone missing too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHat001 View Post
I think the fact she said:

sorta supports this idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsb View Post
imdb has Gerard Butler down as appearing in 1.10
As Stannis Baratheon as well, I don't recall seeing him that ep! If they have cast Butler as Stannis then that is going to be interesting as I would say that's as bad a miscasting as, well every other Baratheon character in the series so far! So at least it would be true to form! (The Baratheons have been the biggest Achilles Heel of what's otherwise been a superbly casted series imo)

Last edited by Shingster; 20-06-2011 at 22:03.
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2011, 21:57   #843
cliff homewood
Trusted User

Thanks everyone, thank god for my forums support group! Currently scourging the next to try and find a breakdown of things that have happened to enlighten me more witohut spoiling that that hasn't happened yet. I'm not going for the books, they take too long to read and there's loads of great ones that I havent treid yet that havent made it to film or television, besides if ytou get into the books you hit the brick wall of how far George RR Martin has got; and I've seen loads of fans are frustrated at that point as it is (Neil Gaiman going as far as posting a piece on his blog defending him for having a life!)

Was well pleased with the amount of fantasy in it, having been told not to expect much; zombies, black magic (I thought initially the baby had been killed by her own breaking of the rule not to enter the tent, perhaps it was, but the witch never says that, just goes along with the conceit that she had planned it all along) and dragons; also this series does foreshadowing brilliantly, and any lover of old monster movies can tell you the best bit is before the monster is revealed (although John Carpenter wouldn't agree).
cliff homewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2011, 22:01   #844
cliff homewood
Trusted User

Someone has kindly recapped all of the first book for you here:

http://winter-is-coming.net/features...nes-breakdown/

Havent read it all yet, and their maybe spoilers in bits that haven't happeend in the first season and held over to the second. But still cool to a nonbook reader like myself.
Old 20-06-2011, 22:03   #845
pmdf
Big Jesus Trash Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff homewood
also this series does foreshadowing brilliantly
That's what I love about this story. It all makes sense, especially in retrospect.

Now the first season has finished, at least we have the new book to look forward to next month. My other half has even started to read Game of Thrones as a result (despite the fact I've been recommending it to her for years - took the TV series to make her see the light!), so it'll be great to be able to share it with someone. I'm going to re-read the series myself, as I'm already picking up stuff that I missed first time around.

Last edited by pmdf; 20-06-2011 at 22:19.
pmdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2011, 22:09   #846
Shingster
Trusted User

Few people do foreshadowing as well as big George Martin imo, his use of dream sequences and prophecies in particular is really great and sadly missing from season one of Game of Thrones (Bran's dreams having been cut down to a shot of a bleedin' three eyed crow!), hopefully because they're not that major in the first book. I'm hoping the second season will rectify that as there are some astoundingly good dreams/visions in each book after the first.

Last edited by Shingster; 20-06-2011 at 22:10.
Old 20-06-2011, 22:20   #847
cliff homewood
Trusted User

That reminds me of my beloved Babylon 5 - the last really ambitious series in trying to tell a story in 5 seasons; hopefully Game of Thrones makes it to the end of its story like B5 did; and also they don't panic and rush it at the end - unlike B5. Babylon 5 had a couple of good eps in the first season full of visions of the future.

Just reread all of Jon and Tyrions book parts from that recap I just posted, Jon Snows has made it a lot clearer for me what has happened (was a bit muddled in the old zombie bit and who he was). With any luck anyday soon someone will do a youtube edition of all of the wall scenes; that'd be cool.
Old 20-06-2011, 22:56   #848
pmdf
Big Jesus Trash Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingster View Post
Few people do foreshadowing as well as big George Martin imo, his use of dream sequences and prophecies in particular is really great and sadly missing from season one of Game of Thrones...
I'm not actually a fan of prophecies and all that sort of thing. George Martin sets up the characters so well that they have their own motivations to make or break themselves. That's at the heart of the "foreshadowing" for me - no need for anything more mystical than that.

Last edited by pmdf; 20-06-2011 at 23:00.
pmdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2011, 23:42   #849
gravesend46
Celtic Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsb View Post
How the hell could they tie something like this up if they cancelled the show?
Like that's ever worried US TV networks before...
gravesend46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2011, 23:49   #850
Guest 50108

Someone please execute that evil little inbred ******* Joffrey!
Guest 50108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2011, 00:44   #851
alsemail
Bibble....

Well that ended superbly and far too quickly. My only criticism of the show is it deserved another 4-6 episodes to the season.

I expected the ending, before the Khal was near death, to be the Dothraki boarding ships or landing at the other side of the sea to prepare for battle, how wrong was I?

Roll on season 2, but I might have to go and do some book shopping beforehand.
alsemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2011, 08:07   #852
Guest 67090
XBox Live: PaulieSc

Absolutely loved the series and echo a statement earlier that i may go and blu ray this on day 1, especially if it has good extras. The finale was good, tied up a few season 1 plots and left things very nicely with the open threads for season 2, which I just can't wait for. To read the books or not hmmmm....
Guest 67090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2011, 08:21   #853
avid fan
Trusted User

[QUOTE=PaulieC79;9434283]Absolutely loved the series and echo a statement earlier that i may go and blu ray this on day 1, especially if it has good extras. QUOTE]

Indeed – and this is the kind of show where you’d think they would put the effort into some decent extras
avid fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2011, 08:26   #854
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

A lot of behind-the-scenes material has already been produced, you can find a ton of it on YouTube at the moment. I'd love to see extended episodes (this is a show that can really benefit from them for more detail) or at least deleted scenes, and the original version of the pilot before the recasting and reshoots.

I thought they handled the final scene of the finale perfectly, it could have easily looked cheap or poorly done, but it gave me goosebumps!
LeftHandedGuitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2011, 08:37   #855
Shingster
Trusted User

It would be awesome if they produced a series of vignettes explaining some of the mythology of Westeros that was dropped for the show. They could do them in the style of Nan telling Bran stories or something.

Last edited by Shingster; 21-06-2011 at 08:37.
Old 21-06-2011, 08:38   #856
sparkyrob
It was collateral damage

The Pycelle scene and the one with Cersei and the Lannister pageboy were WTF moments - not in the first book for sure.

Really pleased with the look of the dragons - thought they might make them cartoonish...hard to do them well, but they looked fantastic. The only thing missing was Dany breastfeeding them

Can't wait for season 2 - time to start book 2 again!
sparkyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2011, 08:40   #857
gravesend46
Celtic Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieC79 View Post
To read the books or not hmmmm....
Definite quandary. I think I'll read Book One now and see if I can hold out on Two until the series broadcasts.

Then if HBO ever cancels the show, I have the comfort blanket of whatever books remain to be read!
gravesend46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2011, 08:49   #858
Apostate
Trusted User

I'm not going the read the books. Not saying they aren't very good but there are lots of very good books but not much good telly. Will spend the next few months trying to avoid spoilers on the www.

With the arrival of the dragons looks like there might be a hefty CGI bill for the next series
Apostate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2011, 09:14   #859
TonyG
Xbox Live: Tony Gster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyrob View Post
The only thing missing was Dany breastfeeding them
Awwwwww, I was looking forward to that.
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2011, 11:27   #860
gravesend46
Celtic Tiger