Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Old 16-05-2006, 15:45   #1
Guest 47035
Rant in c#

Taylor for Charlton

Looks like Peter Taylor is going to get the Charlton job. Hull have given Charlton permission to talk to him. Good manager. His only blip was at Leicester and Martin O'Neill was always going to be a hard act to follow.
Guest 47035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2006, 15:53   #2
Barny79
Trusted User

Only blip? Didn't he relegate Leicester? Also he paid Ł5 million for Akinbiyi. Good record with England U21s and smaller teams, but not sure about if he's up to the next step up.
Barny79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2006, 16:05   #3
Alan b
Administrator

Thanked 1,285 Times in 581 Posts
If I was a Charlton supporter I would be happy with this appointment. I have to say it is nice to see that in the age of foreign managers a club actually goes for a English manager. Well done Charlton.
Alan b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2006, 16:19   #4
Guest 24171
Banned

Jesus thought that was Graham Taylor for a moment
Guest 24171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2006, 17:22   #5
paulsaz
360: Loeb PSN: Loebz

See he looks like a good manager at first glance, but then you scratch the surface and realise he thought buying Port Vales central defender and striker would improve Hull. Crazy notion, and I'm a Vale fan.
paulsaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2006, 17:42   #6
hedgie
Sounds That Can't Be Made

Agent Taylor will be expected to do his duty. (See Steve Coppell at Brighton or Dave Tuttle at Millwall!). Seriously though, a good choice if they go for him.
hedgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2006, 17:44   #7
Guest 51091
How far away is he?

Is he the man to take Charlton to the next level? He is good with the smaller teams and the Charlton fans have not had much success over the past few years always around mid table. I like Curbishley and like the way he manages but it surely will be like following O'Neil, for taylor, in the Charlton fans eyes they will be expecting some sort of success trophies or europe. Good luck to him and good on Charlton what do their fans think?

Last edited by Dwarf Mash; 16-05-2006 at 17:45.
Guest 51091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2006, 17:52   #8
Guest 7802
I love my bitch

Whar are the odds for Charlton being relegated next season?

9/2 with Skybet - 2/1 elsewhere. Get on quick!

Last edited by nc; 16-05-2006 at 17:57.
Guest 7802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2006, 18:25   #9
Guest 2241
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarf Mash
Is he the man to take Charlton to the next level?
Can anyone? Any team has a limit on what they can achieve given their size. Are charlton big enough to get to the next level no matter who the manager?

I rate Taylor though
Guest 2241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2006, 18:39   #10
Guest 47035
Rant in c#

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barny79
Only blip? Didn't he relegate Leicester? Also he paid Ł5 million for Akinbiyi. Good record with England U21s and smaller teams, but not sure about if he's up to the next step up.
That was Adams and Basset. When Taylor got sacked Leicester were not in the relegation zone.

Akinbyi was bought as a foil and to learn from Collymore. Collymore came back from the summer a stone over weight started playing the big I am and got booted out. Adi was thrown in at the deep end and sank.

Last edited by Mondo; 16-05-2006 at 18:44.
Guest 47035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2006, 18:45   #11
new
Sand Dab

As one of the few Charlton fans on this board ( & mainly sole poster in the Charlton thread ), I would say I would be happy with this.

Maybe we could be a little bit more ambitious (but then again are we the sort of club who can tempt that sort of manager?), but we certainly could do a lot worse.

Do I think he can take us to the next level?

To be honest I really cant see us achieving more than we have done already. I go on various Charlton forums & I am amazed at what some of our fans think we should achieve every season.

Every season there are a couple of teams that surprise every one & do really well & this season it has been West Ham & Wigan.
Now some of us seam to look at them & used to demand that Curbs got sacked, the board resigned, etc just because they had a better season than us.
The way I look at it is that there are 10-12 clubs in the Prem that could finish any where between 6th or relegated & we are one of them.
Some seasons we do OK, some seasons we will do great & sooner or latter there will be the bad season that see us in a relegation battle.
To me this just adds to the excitement of supporting a smaller club (you Chelsea/Man U Arsenal/Liverpool fans don’t know what your missing )

Any way I would be happy with Taylor, & Im sure he would be the sort of manager quite a few players would be happy to work with & even join.

The only snag in all this is Im sure we would want him to give up his Under 21 role, & Im not sure if he would want to.
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2006, 18:56   #12
Guest 51091
How far away is he?

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaj
Can anyone? Any team has a limit on what they can achieve given their size. Are charlton big enough to get to the next level no matter who the manager?

I rate Taylor though
I follow Bolton and have for years we reached a new level last year and it was nice seeing them in Europe (for me and other genuine supporters, we once were a up and coming team now we are just slagged off every where, but thats another story). Surely Charlton should be pushing for these places in the league. That is what I meant by new level, if we can and sustain a decent 8th this season, and progressed every year since promotion why can't Charlton push for uefa cup?

Last edited by Dwarf Mash; 16-05-2006 at 18:59.
Guest 51091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2006, 21:55   #13
Guest 2241
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarf Mash
That is what I meant by new level, if we can and sustain a decent 8th this season, and progressed every year since promotion why can't Charlton push for uefa cup?
Well this season Bolton finished pretty far down the table, although they were right up there for a long while. While it's not impossible for Charlton to reach 7th I think it'd take more than a new manager to do so.

Curbs has had the relative luxury of a long spell in charge and has had time to develop his plans where as most managers aren't around long enough to make any long term changes. Because of this he probably got the maximum out of the resources he had at his disposal.

As such a new manager will probably reshape the team to his specification and will probably end up knocking them back a bit for a season or two.

Quote:
I am amazed at what some of our fans think we should achieve every season.
I keep hearing that and my earlier comments were based on those attitudes. I think a lot of Charlton fans take where they are for granted and belive they can improve without boundries. Considering where they've come from it's hard to believe they don't thank their lucky stars they're still one of the countries most successful clubs.
Guest 2241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2006, 06:55   #14
hedgie
Sounds That Can't Be Made

Quote:
I keep hearing that and my earlier comments were based on those attitudes. I think a lot of Charlton fans take where they are for granted and belive they can improve without boundries. Considering where they've come from it's hard to believe they don't thank their lucky stars they're still one of the countries most successful clubs.
I think the majority of Charlton fans, from my experience, do really know the truth, which is that they are a club that have been punching above their weight for a number of years. There are many similar sized or even larger clubs in the Championship and even a couple in League 1, all of which would happily accept the level of success that Charlton have had recently.

History shows that clubs in this position always come back in the end - look at Southampton and Coventry for examples of clubs that stayed at the top for a very long time, but eventually returned to their more natural level. I'm sure Charlton fans realise that this managerial appointment is critical to the club keeping their position and that if they get it wrong, the fall could be dramatic. Just wonder whether a former Palace man will get their trust, to be honest!
hedgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2006, 07:06   #15
Guest 8751
Trusted User

the primary aim for a team like Charlton with their resources, is ending each season at least 4th from bottom or better. Anything else is a bonus.
Guest 8751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2006, 08:45   #16
Guest 22659
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabor
Jesus thought that was Graham Taylor for a moment
Me too - it was the only reason I opened the thread.
Guest 22659 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2006, 09:22   #17
chopperwilson
Nick Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsaz
See he looks like a good manager at first glance, but then you scratch the surface and realise he thought buying Port Vales central defender and striker would improve Hull. Crazy notion, and I'm a Vale fan.

I agree, not impressed with either. But who'd have thought that buying Macclesfields centre back turned striker Jon Parkin would have gone as well as it did and go some way to keeping us in the Championship.

Nick
chopperwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2006, 11:13   #18
Guest 37924
Hull City - Grrr Tigers!

I'm hearing it's a done deal.

I've also a pretty good idea of who will be next at Hull....(looks like a Muppets character).
Guest 37924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2006, 13:00   #19
Crikey!
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HullJim
I've also a pretty good idea of who will be next at Hull....(looks like a Muppets character).
the swedish chef? or rolf?
Crikey! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2006, 13:12   #20
Soprano
Walking the line

Quote:

I rate Taylor though
I must agree with this. There is no "next level" for Charlton unless they are taken over by a bored Russian billionaire.

Taylor is very hit and miss. I would consider keeping Charlton in the top half a job well done.

Curbs was the right man for Charlton, much like Joe Kinnear was for Wimbledon. Lets hope they haven't employed an Egil Olsen in Taylor.
Soprano is offline   Reply With Quote