Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Computing Forum

Old 09-10-2005, 00:52   #1
SheepDip
I dunno....

Anyone know where firefox puts it's casch/history

Hi,

A few of us were writing some online essays a couple of weeks ago, but - well to cut a long story short, the host didn't bother backing his site up, and it's now crashed taking all the data with it.

Now, I am pretty sure this website will be in my history - and indeed I can see that in the history area of the browser - but for some weird reason, it won't open the page if I click on it in history whilst "working offline" - and I obviously can't go online as the site no longer exists.

Does anyone know where exactly firefox stores it's historical visited webpages? I know in IE, these can be found and viewed offline, but I can't find the file for firefox on my pc anywhere.

The idea is of course to find the "historical" record of the website (pre crash) on my pc, and cut/paste the information out of it.

I'm using XP by the way - might be relevant - not sure

Many thanks in advance
Old 09-10-2005, 07:03   #2
Chris Locke
Making a 1% improvement

Thanked 1,577 Times in 515 Posts
Usually c:\documents and settings\user\application data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\random\cache

However, although they will be a series of randomly names files, they are .html files. Drag 'em into Internet Explorer for example, and they'll display.
Chris Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 13:10   #3
SheepDip
I dunno....

Thanks for that Chris - located it (Slightly different path, but same result).

Unfortunately, the cache contained only a few pictures - the actual webpages viewed must I guess be stored elsewhere (Maybe a file for the history).

Don't suppose anyone has any ideas there? I did the obvious (Search for files called "history" - but nothing). I might just have to write this one off and put it down to experience - but it's so weird, I can see the history in Firefox browser, I just can't open any of them whilst offline.

Oh well, thanks anyway
SheepDip is offline   Reply With Quote