Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Computing Forum

Old 04-08-2005, 15:11   #1
pkr
Have a better one.

Windows developers : Displaying MDI child windows in a multiple monitor environment

I use an application that makes extensive use of MDI child windows.

I reported a bug in the application a while ago which has not been acted upon and I want to re-submit the bug report with a hint on how to fix the problem as I suspect the developers don't know how!

Now it's a long time since I used VB and as I no longer have access to a current version I cannot really experiment.

So, can anyone give me some pointers.

In a single monitor set up, the parent & child windows work OK when the application is executed. In a multiple monitor set up, as long as the parent is displayed on monitor #1, the parent and child windows display OK at app start up. When the app has initialised fully, it can be moved to monitor #2 where it will continue to work correctly. The problem occurs when the application starts up and is displayed directly to monitor #2. When this happens, the parent displays OK, but the child windows do not display.

Is there a property or method that should be used to ensure the child windows display correctly when the application is initialised directly to monitor #2?

I'm using ATI's Hydravision as the desktop manager.

Thanks.
pkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 19:37   #2
Guest 41433
Trusted User

When there are two monitors Windows just sees it as a much wider screen. MDI child windows are created by passing an xy offset. Do you get scrollbars on the MDI parent ? If you are able to choose Window->Cascade or Window->Tile from the MDI parent menu, do they reappear ok ?

(This should be a very easy thing to solve for the developers !)
Guest 41433 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 20:02   #3
pkr
Have a better one.

I'll have a look for the scroll bar when I use it next ( Monday ). I've never noticed one. Also, the app is highly customised and doesn't have a window menu - sigh!

Thanks.
pkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 22:54   #4
Guest 993
Trusted User

Sounds like a really old app that just isn't multi-monitor aware or makes assumptions about a single monitor/desktop. Could be any number of reasons though. Possibly the app saves the state of the child windows using co-ordinates (at worst offset from the desktop 0,0 origin instead of from the MDI app's origin!), and by loading the app directly to the 2nd monitor the co-ordinates are screwed. It could be trying to display them within the 1st monitor's space but obviously being MDI it can't as the app isn't on the 1st monitor.

You could try stretching the MDI app across both monitors and as you stretch it see if the child windows appear within the MDI app on the 1st monitor.

However, MDI is old hat these days anyway (and VB sucks ).

Jack Spratt - Old versions of Windows used to see dual monitors as one big desktop. Newer versions can treat them as individual desktops. You can navigate between them but by default the task bar remains on one monitor and each monitor can be different resolutions. Optionally you can set it to stretch the desktop.

Last edited by DeadKenny; 04-08-2005 at 22:55.
Guest 993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 23:08   #5
Guest 41433
Trusted User

Yes DK, at first I also thought the co-ordinates could be the problem - but the app would still have to calc the actual xy offset by subtracting the real xy of the parent. And that would work ! Help. More info needed.
Guest 41433 is offline   Reply With Quote