Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 21-06-2005, 14:27   #1
Guest 31673
Trusted User

Loco Loads More Marvel Films Coming: Hulk 2, Silver Surfer, Captain America, Iron Man etc

From Empire:

Marvel boss Avi Arad is a man with many things on his mind. About 5,000 things, as a matter of fact, and nearly all of them are characters waiting to make the leap to the big screen – and he seems determined to make sure that every one of them gets a chance. Hot on the heels of his exclusive chat with Empire, Arad has spilled more beans to those good chaps at MTV.

Perhaps the most exciting piece of the news is that Silver Surfer is now at the stage of securing a director, whom they are about to contact – but of course the mogul won't reveal who just yet. "There is a director who should make (it) – he is mentally committed to it. He is doing another movie now. What is most important to me about this guy, first, is that he is incredible with visuals. But he's also a spiritual guy, a Zen Buddhist." Oh, and then he went on to confirm that Galactacus (devourer of planets) would definitely make an appearance, albeit an all CGI one.

Also moving along nicely is Captain America, whom Arad believes to be "the most famous character out there, by name". He talks of the project needing to be "'Back To The Future' type stuff," with him coming back "as a man out of time – coming back today, looking at our world through the eyes of someone who thought the perfect world was small-town America… who are we today? Are we better?" Could this be the first Marvel satire? Ok, probably not, but it's a nice thought. The producer claims to have a star and a director in mind, and we can apparently expect announcements of this project soon, although he did warn that "the script is going to take a little bit of time, because it has to be a masterpiece." Don't they all, Avi?

A Hulk sequel (with the catchy sub-moniker "Diet Hulk", as Arad refers to it) has officially been promised by no later than the end of 2007, and with some corrections to the feel and formula of the project; "In movie one, we couldn't get into the curiosity thing…"

As for Spider-Man 3, there are no real revelations (though it's comforting to know that things are moving smoothly), but there was confirmation of Dylan Baker returning in the third film as Dr Curt Conners – whom Spidey fans will know, eventually becomes Spider-nemesis Lizard. Spider-Man 4 villain, anyone? No-one's saying just yet, although the rumour of shooting the third and fourth instalments simultaneously was quashed.

Projects a little further away include Thor ("…it's a vast sort of Lord Of The Rings universe"), Ant Man ("a 'Honey I Shrunk The Superhero' type of story", sequels to The Punisher (R-rated this time) and Daredevil ("if we can get the rights back, I'd do it"), as well as continued hints at Cloak And Dagger, Iron Fist, Nick Fury, Black Panther, and Namor ("the script is gigantic… a lot of design work has been done on it.") Whether it is with David Hayter is yet to be confirmed. What Hayter is confirmed for is Black Widow - as director. "It's going to be David's directorial debut. The script just came in, and we are doing what we always do with scripts – in this case, driving the writer / director crazy."

And then there's Iron Man. "We are very close to striking a deal," says Arad. "I had a four-hour meeting with Nick Cassavetes in my house. If everything is cool, in the next few weeks there'll be an announcement about Nick writing it."

Finally, there's the X-Men spinoffs – one dealing with Wolverine which is on track for a 2007 / 2008 release, and the other with Magneto, the latter of which he tells will be "a smaller movie, but very true the origin."
Guest 31673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2005, 14:32   #2
anephric
Kidney Thief

The thought of another Captain America flick fills me with terror - he's the naffest character out there, a base propaganda tool that should've been laid to rest with the fall of the Soviet Bloc.

And if they do Tony Stark, they have to do the drunkard phase.
anephric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2005, 14:34   #3
SIMON ADEBISI

But what about the Nick Fury film that was made already. It was on Irish tv last friday night. Hasselhoff was in it.
SIMON ADEBISI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2005, 14:39   #4
Guest 6079
Trusted User

They should get Matt Stone and Trey Parker to do Captain America
Guest 6079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2005, 14:41   #5
anephric
Kidney Thief

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON ADEBISI
But what about the Nick Fury film that was made already. It was on Irish tv last friday night. Hasselhoff was in it.

Hey, that rocks. Stan Lee likes it.

'Nuff said.
Old 21-06-2005, 14:44   #6
SIMON ADEBISI

i liked it too. Didn'y want to say it for fear of humiliation & flaming.
Old 21-06-2005, 14:47   #7
anephric
Kidney Thief

Be aware that I worship at the altar of Der Hoff, though, so I mix lies with the truth like any faithful acolyte of Hasselhoffism.

Grrrrr
Old 21-06-2005, 14:48   #8
SIMON ADEBISI

That pic is now my wallpaper.
Old 21-06-2005, 14:51   #9
AndyWilson
--------old-geek

Surely the perferct casting of Dr. Donald Blake in any Thor movie has been pre-empted by the producers of House MD ??
AndyWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2005, 14:51   #10
Guest 6079
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by anephric
Be aware that I worship at the altar of Der Hoff, though, so I mix lies with the truth like any faithful acolyte of Hasselhoffism.

Grrrrr
I saw the closing minutes of this the other day on standard council tv forgot to check what it was Just looked on IMDB and it's not listed as being out to buy

Never heard of Nick Fury, but I'm a Hasselhoff fan Got a Hasselhoff T-Shirt and Garth Knight as my MSN avatar
Guest 6079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2005, 14:52   #11
SIMON ADEBISI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolch
Never heard of Nick Fury, but I'm a Hasselhoff fan
He turns up in the punisher game as well.
Old 21-06-2005, 15:04   #12
James45
Trusted User

Can't wait to see a Namor - Submariner movie, it'll never happen though.
James45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2005, 15:08   #13
anephric
Kidney Thief

Deathlok could be a cool movie, too. 'Speshially if they did a Nick Fury tie-in.
anephric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2005, 15:12   #14
Guest 10592
Come along, Pond.

Hasselhoff, Shatner, Montalban - the Gods of the 80s

Last edited by Grandmaster; 21-06-2005 at 18:09.
Guest 10592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2005, 18:03   #15
new forms
Trusted User

Quote:
...And if they do Tony Stark, they have to do the drunkard phase.

that's one film that i think they may balls up from the beggining altho' i'd love them to do the character justice,

and i'm probably the only person in the world really looking forward to and welcoming The Hulk sequal
new forms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2005, 18:47   #16
Richie
Trusted User

I've always liked "Cloak And Dagger" and still think they'd be ideal material for a tv series. But then I used to really like "Power Pack" when I was younger too so...
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2005, 20:02   #17
noodles
Im the man with jam pants

But if they do Nick Fury what continuity would they use? The normal white Fury or the Ultimate's universe Fury based of S L Jackson? Must say I like both but Jackson would be great to see on the big screen.
noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2005, 20:05   #18
Mr Majestik
Trusted User

Can't imagine how the heck you can do a decent Silver surfer movie. The storys way too out there for a Hollywood movie.
Mr Majestik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2005, 21:26   #19
Disappearer
Trusted User

Quote:
The thought of another Captain America flick fills me with terror - he's the naffest character out there, a base propaganda tool that should've been laid to rest with the fall of the Soviet Bloc.
It all depends on how they approach the character - the current comic book series, written by Ed Brubaker, is fantastic.

Last edited by Disappearer; 21-06-2005 at 21:26.
Disappearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2005, 22:21   #20
Niceguygeoff
I Do Deny Them My Essence

Some of the recent Captain America stuff has been interesting, like Truth, the miniseries that covered an African-American oriented retelling of the mythos. But fat, white Hollywood execs wouldn't touch a black Captain America with a 10ft bargepole. Saying that, do we really need a 21st century outing for Captain A anyway?

I'd love to see Iron Man on the big screen though. He was one of my favourite Marvel characters as a kid, and his sheer vulnerability (alcoholism, heart trouble) would make for a superhero with depth.

Silver Surfer would also be cool to see in this CG age.
Niceguygeoff is offline   Reply With Quote