Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Old 04-04-2005, 12:36   #181
Guest 11785
XBL: Vester Formator

Really enjoyed episode II and think that Ecclestone is turning out to be a great Doctor.

Couple of things from me:

1) It's already been asked why the Doctor couldn't go back and undo the last human's meddling. My question is, when it was clear that the space station had been sabotaged, why didn't the Doctor just put everyone into the Tardis and get them out of there?

2) Another thing that's already been discussed is why the Doctor couldn't go back and save Gallifrey. I've always been under the impression that Gallifrey operated on a different temporal plane for Timelords (hence whenever the Doctor returned to Gallifrey, it was always later than his last visit). That said, it's a plane which other beings have previously trancended (Sontarans for one). If a certain group of pepperpots were involved in the war, perhaps the doctor could stow on their ship in order to go back and attempt to change things?

I feel so geeky at having used the words transcend and temporal plane in that paragraph. Please forgive me.

3) The spiders reminded me of Minority Report!

[edit] Still not convinced that Ecclestone is leaving. In this day and age, I think they'd at least try to hide a big shock regeneration, not publicly announce it.

Last edited by c9550904; 04-04-2005 at 12:38.
Guest 11785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 12:42   #182
Blenky
Trusted User

Mostly enjoyed it.

I think Russell T Davies is a great writer but has no real feel for Sci-fi. I thought the strongest parts of this episode were the character moments and the weakest was an insipid plot. A lot of budget was spent just for the wow factor and no real practical purpose.

It will be interesting to see how the non RTD scripts match up.

Last edited by Blenky; 04-04-2005 at 19:43.
Blenky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 12:56   #183
Guest 15513
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew WK
Anyone else think Moxx giving the gift of saliva to Rose was hilarious?!
It was a lol moment.

Guest 15513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 13:21   #184
Guest 18276
Too old for Hamlet

Pretty enjoyable episode

Would have liked to have more character development of the different aliens along the lines of a whodunit (tough I guess in 45 mins).

Pah thought I was going to be the first to mention minority report in relation to the spiders, even down to the ray that came from them.

I'm surprised though to have not heard a mention The Restuarant at the End of The Universe with regard to the placing of the story, pretty blatent esp with the release of HHGTTG next month.

I did not release Billie Piper was quite as chubby!
Guest 18276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 13:35   #185
cliff homewood
Trusted User

Yeah the new dr who is more emotionally resonant scenes than good stories. But I like it.

I take it my memory of timelords is right then, they stay on gallifrey except for the odd strays. The other one I didn't mention who seems to be forgotten is his granddaughter, Susan (which also implies he had a wife at one stage and a daughter, an area of Who thats never gone into, unless she was adopted), I thought it would make an intersting companion for the Doctor to come across a later generation of Susan and have her as a companion again. By the way didn't she leave the Doctor to be with an earthman? If so (assuming she is actually a timelady) what abilities, amount of hearts etc would the children have. Its just that Cassandra calling herself the last human and then the Doc the last Timelord opens up a murky pool of comparisons.
cliff homewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 14:15   #186
Guest 1661
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart Howie
I'm surprised though to have not heard a mention The Restuarant at the End of The Universe with regard to the placing of the story, pretty blatent esp with the release of HHGTTG next month.
I mentioned it way back on the 3rd page, Saturday evening .
Guest 1661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 14:42   #187
Guest 11785
XBL: Vester Formator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff homewood
Yeah the new dr who is more emotionally resonant scenes than good stories. But I like it.

I take it my memory of timelords is right then, they stay on gallifrey except for the odd strays.
I wouldn't have thought that was the case, otherwise why develop the TARDIS (only for rogue timelords to steal them)?
Guest 11785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 14:50   #188
Guest 18276
Too old for Hamlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Nice
I mentioned it way back on the 3rd page, Saturday evening .
ah well I had a quick scan though
Guest 18276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 15:05   #189
Guest 28082
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by c9550904
I wouldn't have thought that was the case, otherwise why develop the TARDIS (only for rogue timelords to steal them)?
For observation and scientific crews.

Also, Susan was adopted. Kinda. In a way. It's a long story...
Guest 28082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 15:35   #190
new
Sand Dab

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff homewood
I take it my memory of timelords is right then, they stay on gallifrey except for the odd strays. The other one I didn't mention who seems to be forgotten is his granddaughter, Susan (which also implies he had a wife at one stage and a daughter, an area of Who thats never gone into, unless she was adopted), I thought it would make an intersting companion for the Doctor to come across a later generation of Susan and have her as a companion again. By the way didn't she leave the Doctor to be with an earthman? If so (assuming she is actually a timelady) what abilities, amount of hearts etc would the children have. Its just that Cassandra calling herself the last human and then the Doc the last Timelord opens up a murky pool of comparisons.
The Doctor himself is half-human as said by the man himself in the last TV movie (or did he say part-human )

Has anybody got any links to websites about classic Who. Would really like to look at some sort of timeline.

Last edited by new; 04-04-2005 at 15:40.
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 16:26   #191
thescrounger
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by c9550904
For their agents to use to help mend corrupted time streams.
thescrounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 16:31   #192
thescrounger
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blenky
Mostly enjoyed it.

I think Russell T Davies is a great writer but has no real feel for Sci-fi. I thought the strangest parts of this episode were the character moments and the weakest was an insipid plot. A lot of budget was spent just for the wow factor and no real practical purpose.

It will be interesting to see how the non RTD scripts match up.
That's a criticism that the other writers of this series have levelled at him. RTD is more concerned with character and spectacle than plot(I don't think they were saying it's a bad thing, all writers have their styles and RTD fantasy/Sci-Fi ideas are wonderful, even if not logical). I expect we'll see some very tight plotted episodes from the other writers, starting from next saturday with 'The Unquiet Dead'.

If anyone is wondering about the phone call bit, that's easy. It's already Who lore that The TARDIS communication system works like that, so the gadget the Doctor put into the phone was probably a wireless transmitter connecting to the TARDIS.

Last edited by thescrounger; 04-04-2005 at 16:36.
Old 04-04-2005, 16:33   #193
Guest 993
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisParrott
Also, Susan was adopted. Kinda. In a way. It's a long story...
Is that in a book or Big Finish then?

Depends if that's accepted 'canon' (such a naff term but anyway), but surely if she was his granddaughter then even adopted he must have had a daughter (also adopted then?). Gallifrey appeared to be her original home though from the indications in The Five Doctors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by new
Has anybody got any links to websites about classic Who. Would really like to look at some sort of timeline.
Don't know if they'll have what you're after, but two main site are...

http://www.gallifreyone.com/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/doctorwho/classic.shtml

Last edited by DeadKenny; 04-04-2005 at 16:37.
Guest 993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 16:37   #194
Guest 10592
Come along, Pond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by new
The Doctor himself is half-human as said by the man himself in the last TV movie (or did he say part-human )
I think everyone, including the writers of the new series, are doing their best to ignore this. There is an incredibly convoluted explanation to explain this, but it was such a rubbish idea that I suspect that the whole "half-human" wheeze will swiftly be forgotten.

The Doctor is a Time Lord, plain and simple.
Guest 10592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 16:42   #195
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

That was the daftest of all daft ideas in that very, very daft movie. Half human? Pshaaaw!!
John Hodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 16:47   #196
Reverend Scapegoat
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandmaster

He's more than that...

Who's to say that all Time Lords aren't related to human beings in some way, anyway?
One could have evolved from the other... Just look at Haemovores
Reverend Scapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 16:48   #197
thescrounger
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandmaster
I think everyone, including the writers of the new series, are doing their best to ignore this. There is an incredibly convoluted explanation to explain this, but it was such a rubbish idea that I suspect that the whole "half-human" wheeze will swiftly be forgotten.

I think they already have vetoed the half human bit. When Jabe scanned the Doctor it identified him as a Timelord, not a half human one.
Old 04-04-2005, 17:09   #198
new
Sand Dab

As daft an idea as it might seamed, it is something that is stated in an official reconized Dr Who adventure.

At the time it also explained why the Doctor was manily helping out humans (long before & after his forced excile here) so much.

The new series needs to address it (or has it been all ready delt with in a novel or comic strip?) rather than just ignore or "veto" it because it wants to. Otherwise it can ignore/change pervious Who at will, which would be a very, very bad idea (just see what George has done to Star Wars ).

Last edited by new; 04-04-2005 at 17:34.
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 17:14   #199
Walrus Man
Trusted User

Really enjoyed the second episode, but the thing that bugged me about the fan/switch scene, was that the tree lady burnt because it got too hot, but surely a temperature hot enough to set fire to wood, would not be too comfortable for the Doctor either?
Walrus Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 17:50   #200
thescrounger
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walrus Man
Really enjoyed the second episode, but the thing that bugged me about the fan/switch scene, was that the tree lady burnt because it got too hot, but surely a temperature hot enough to set fire to wood, would not be too comfortable for the Doctor either?
Yeah but she was right in front of the vent.

I watched the episode again last night, just going back to the lame argument about the reset buttons location.

Mox: Reset the computer
Jabe: Only the Steward would know how.
Doctor: No, we can do it by hand. There must be a system restore switch.

Then they get there

Doctor: (sarcastically) Oh, and guess where the switch is!

Seems like satire as I said earlier. Certainly pays to pay attention to the episodes finer details.

Last edited by thescrounger; 04-04-2005 at 17:59.