Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 27-01-2005, 11:08   #1
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Errol Flynn; The Signature Collection R1 and now R2 for October

From am1001aa in the 'Upcoming' thread:

Errol Flynn: The Signature Collection Captain Blood, The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex, The Sea Hawk, They Died with their Boots On, Dodge City

Five DVD Debuts Plus a Brand-New Feature Length Documentary Available Only With the Collection Featuring Commentary from Co-Star Olivia de Havilland April 19 from Warner Home Video

Burbank, Calif., January 25, 2005 - April 19 will mark the DVD debut of five all-time favorite films from Errol Flynn - whose combination of natural athleticism and magnetic good looks made him one of the most popular and highly paid stars of the '30s and '40s. Now, Warner Home Video (WHV) is giving a whole new generation the opportunity to experience the man Entertainment Weekly named one of the 100 Greatest Movie Stars of All Time in Captain Blood, The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex, The Sea Hawk, They Died with their Boots On and Dodge City. Each DVD, which includes the abundant extra bonus features for which WHV has become so well-known, is priced at $19.97 SRP/$14.95 MAP. Errol Flynn: The Signature Collection, a six-disc set, also includes an all-new feature length documentary The Adventures of Errol Flynn (exclusive to this gift set), and will be available at $59.92 SRP. Orders are due March 22.

The Actor
Jack L. Warner, one of the studio's four founding Warner brothers, said of Flynn, "He was all the heroes in one magnificent, sexy, animal package." The actor became an overnight sensation when Warner brought him on as a last-minute replacement for Robert Donat for the pirate epic Captain Blood in 1935. From then on, whether as a buccaneer, nobleman, or frontier legend, he thrilled audiences and stole hearts during a career that encompassed more than 50 films.

Born Errol Leslie Thomson Flynn in Tasmania, Australia on June 20, 1909, Flynn was the son of respected marine biologist, Theodore Thomson Flynn (whom he credited with his life-long love of the sea) and Marrelle Young, a descendent of Fletcher Christian, of HMS Bounty fame, who Flynn later played onscreen. A rebellious child, more athletic than academic, he was expelled from almost every school he attended. His introduction to acting came through an Australian film producer who saw his photograph and had him cast as Christian in a small film In the Wake of the Bounty (1933). After a brief stint in London, Warner Bros. brought him to America.

The Captain Blood role quickly established Flynn as the era's replacement for Douglas Fairbanks and he was cast in everything from swashbucklers to light comedies to westerns.
The public, men and women alike, loved him best in romantic adventures as a man of action who won ladies' hearts. His co-stars included Bette Davis, Alexis Smith and Olivia de Havilland. He made a total of eight films with Miss de Havilland, including one of his best remembered, The Adventures of Robin Hood.

In real life, Flynn's off-screen adventures were as colorful as those on-screen. He became constant tabloid fodder, and, although married three times, Flynn was notorious for nonstop drinking and womanizing. His profligate lifestyle resulted in three statutory rape trials (from which he was eventually acquitted), and a new catch phrase, "in like Flynn." Ultimately this lifestyle took its toll, and the Hollywood heartthrob died of a heart attack four months after his 50th birthday.

Captain Blood (1935)
Errol Flynn shot to stardom as Peter Blood, a 17th-century physician who turned pirate after escaping unjust political imprisonment. It was a role the handsome, sea-loving Tasmanian was born to play, and he shaped it into Hollywood's archetypal image of the adventurous hero. That he also became a romantic idol and a vision of gallantry in love is due in large part to his ideally cast co-star: radiant Olivia de Havilland in the first of their eight films together. Directed with panache by Michael Curtiz (Casablanca), scored with flair by Erich Wolfgang Korngold and featuring Basil Rathbone and Lionel Atwill as villains to remember, Captain Blood becomes a ride on the high seas of unparalleled enjoyment.

Captain Blood will have the following extra content:

* Leonard Maltin Hosts Warner Night at the Movies 1935 with:
* Newsreel
* Musical Short Johnny Green and His Orchestra
* Comedy Short All-American Drawback
* Cartoon Billboard Frolics
* 1935 Trailer Gallery
* New Featurette Captain Blood: A Swashbuckler Is Born
* Audio-Only Bonus: Lux Radio Theater Production from February 22, 1937 starring Flynn & de Havilland
* Languages: English & Français

The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex (1939)
Bette Davis and Errol Flynn made The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex fascinatingly public, striking sparks in this lavish Technicolor tale of the ill-fated love between the aging Elizabeth I and the dashing Earl of Essex. Thoroughly unglamorous here - eyebrows and hairline shaved, face painted chalky white - double Academy Award® winner Davis exudes such intelligence, energy and ardor that her romance with the decades-younger Essex (Flynn at the peak of his remarkable good looks and athletic verve) is completely believable. Based on Maxwell Anderson's play Elizabeth the Queen and directed by Michael Curtiz, the film was nominated for five Oscars® (Best Art Direction, Color Cinematography, Scoring, Sound Recording and Special Effects).

The extra features included on the DVD are:
* Leonard Maltin Hosts Warner Night at the Movies 1939 with:
* Newsreel
* Musical Short The Royal Rodeo
* Cartoon Old Glory
* 1939 Trailer Gallery
* New Featurette Elizabeth and Essex: Battle Royale

The Sea Hawk (1940)
Cannons thunder, blades clatter and Erich Wolfgang Korngold's incomparable music swirls and flourishes in The Sea Hawk. In one of his best roles, Errol Flynn plays Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe, who commandeers a 40-gun galleon, endures captivity, and then boldly escapes to warn England of Spain's armada. Working on his 10th of 12 movies with Flynn, Michael Curtiz (Casablanca) masterfully directs the film's blend of royal intrigue and derring-do heroics - made on a then-lavish $1.7-million scale that included construction of two full-sized ships. The film was stirringly topical in its day. When Queen Elizabeth (Flora Robson) exhorts her country to maintain fighting readiness against tyranny "now and forever," audiences knew forever had come: Hitler had launched his World War II air siege of England.

The Sea Hawk will contain the following bonus content:

* Leonard Maltin Hosts Warner Night at the Movies 1940 with:
* Newsreel
* Short Alice in Movieland
* Cartoon Porky's Big Fish
* 1940 Trailer Gallery
* New Featurette The Sea Hawk: Flynn in Action

They Died with their Boots On (1941)
The 7th Cavalry Regiment, Gen. George Armstrong Custer says, rides "to hell or to glory. It depends on one's point of view." The point of view of Raoul Walsh's spectacular They Died with their Boots On decidedly favors glory. Errol Flynn portrays the famed cavalryman in this hoof-and-thunder chronicle tracing his career from dandyish West Point plebe to Civil War hero to frontier legend immortalized by the Battle of Little Big Horn. Olivia de Havilland, sharing the marquee with Flynn for the eighth and final time, plays Custer's devoted wife Libby. And composer Max Steiner's stirring music trumpets gallantry and sacrifice.

They Died with their Boots On will contain these bonus features:

* Leonard Maltin Hosts Warner Night at the Movies 1942 with:
* Newsreel
* Military Short Soldiers in White
* Cartoon A Tale of Two Kitties
* 1942 Trailer Gallery
* New Featurette They Died with their Boots On: To Hell or Glory

Dodge City (1939)
Where cattle drives end, trouble begins. Thirsty, trigger-happy cowmen pour into Dodge City, where might too often makes right. There ought to be a law in this corrupt, bullet-riddled town. Once trail boss Wade Hatton (Errol Flynn) pins on a badge, there is.

In his first of eight Westerns, Flynn is as able with a six-shooter as he was with a swashbuckler's sword. He confronts lynch mobs, slams outlaws into jail and escapes (along with co-star Olivia de Havilland) a fiery, locked railroad car. Hailed for Flynn's sagebrush debut, its vivid Technicolor look and spectacular saloon brawl that may have employed every available stunt person in Hollywood, Dodge City later gained another distinction when it inspired Mel Brooks' cowboy parody Blazing Saddles.

The extra content in Dodge City will be:
* Leonard Maltin Hosts Warner Night at the Movies 1939 with:
* Newsreel
* Academy Award®-Winning* Drama Short Sons of Liberty
* Cartoon Dangerous Dan McFoo
* 1939 Trailer Gallery
* New Featurette Dodge City: Go West, Errol Flynn

Each DVD will be presented in a format preserving the aspect ratio of its original theatrical exhibition and will include subtitles in English, French and Spanish. All are in Dual-Layer format.
BONUS DISC (Available only in the Errol Flynn: The Signature Collection)

The Adventures of Errol Flynn (2005)
Acclaimed, Emmy-Award winning documentarians Joan Kramer and David Heeley (Bacall on Bogart, The Spencer Tracy Legacy, The John Garfield Story, Katharine Hepburn: All About Me) cast their sights on the amazing Flynn life story with this new feature length documentary, available exclusively as part of the Errol Flynn Signature Collection. Narrated by Ian Holm, the film traces Flynn's journey from his Tasmanian childhood to the heights of Hollywood celebrity. Along the way, he goldmines in New Guinea, sails the world, reports on wars, stands trial, goes broke and chases (and catches) far too many beautiful women. Film clips, home movies and interviews that include fascinating commentary provided in 2004 by eight-time Flynn co-star Olivia de Havilland highlight this insightful look at a real life that - often tragically - out-glamoured reel life.

Ooooh mama!

Last edited by John Hodson; 31-08-2005 at 17:09.
John Hodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2005, 12:36   #2
James45
Trusted User

any sign of an R2 release, my dad would love this

EDIT: Good last watch btw, The Professionals is excellent. Peace Brother!

Last edited by James45; 27-01-2005 at 12:37.
James45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2005, 12:54   #3
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by James45
any sign of an R2 release, my dad would love this
No sign yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James45
The Professionals is excellent. Peace Brother!
Indeed!

Box art for Errol Flynn: The Signature Collection has been posted here.
Old 27-01-2005, 13:00   #4
gZa
Trusted User

Only seen Captain Blood & The Sea Hawk but this is another no brainer as far as I'm concerned. Bring in on Warner's.

Last edited by gZa; 27-01-2005 at 13:02.
gZa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2005, 13:16   #5
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Funny thing; in November I watched a poor print of They Died With Their Boots On on cable and, though I'd long loved it, it struck me as daft film with any resemblance to actual history purely coincidental. I actually got quite angry about it! I watched it again over Christmas on the Beeb, only this time it was quite a handsome print...and I was enthralled all over again. Must have been those mince pies...

Forget it's 'Custer' and just enjoy; I know I will.

"To the devil with the orders! We'll ride to the sound of the guns!"

I also saw Dodge City again last month, a strikingly beautiful Technicolor film and the press release doesn't lie when it says: 'and spectacular saloon brawl that may have employed every available stunt person in Hollywood, Dodge City later gained another distinction when it inspired Mel Brooks' cowboy parody Blazing Saddles.'

It's a brilliant scene - bodies flying through the air, crashing through windows, bustin' up furniture, catching rounds from six guns...and an impervious Flynn, waltzing round the set like it's an everyday occurance in Dodge (well, it might have been).

The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex is probably the weakest of the lot; a little stagebound, and not enough of the trademark swordplay. Davis has been casitgated in some quarters for chewing the scenery, but for me she's the highlight of the film. Weakest it may be (and that's debatable), but still enjoyable.

It's bound to be a brilliant set, but I'm a little curious as to why none of them, not even two of the greatest swashbucklers ever made, deserve a commentary.

Last edited by John Hodson; 27-01-2005 at 15:51.
Old 27-01-2005, 15:35   #6
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

DVD Times now has full details and delicious artwork here
Old 27-01-2005, 16:37   #7
Guest 41271
Trusted User

I do not really mind the lack of commentaries too much, so long as we get featurettes on the movies. I actually prefer to have featurettes (as on the Hitchcock collection) to commentaries (as e.g. on the Noir box). It is certainly easier to find the time to watch the short documentaries than rewatching the movies with commentary. Of course, having both docus and commentaries, as with the Gangster collection, is optimal, but perhaps too much to expect.
Guest 41271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2005, 13:31   #8
Guest 12934
Trusted User

Anyone willing to take a stab at how much this will be on DVDSOON??
<£20???
Guest 12934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2005, 12:51   #9
James45
Trusted User

ahh life's too short, the set looks gorgeous I think I'll buy this for my dad along with a multiregion dvd player
Old 29-01-2005, 17:20   #10
Spectre07
Trusted User

I've been waiting for Dodge City to make it's debut on DVD.
Spectre07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2005, 17:25   #11
Spectre07
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseflesh
Anyone willing to take a stab at how much this will be on DVDSOON??
<£20???
The Cary Grant Signature Collection came in at just under £18 so fingers crossed.
Spectre07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2005, 20:39   #12
Guest 1005
Trusted User

james45-warners have been encoding a few of their classics on region1 to play on region 2 as well.I have adventures of robin hood,objective burma,master of ballantrae,all errol flynn films,all region 1 that play on my unmodified playstation.just recently i got the region1 gunga din,and that plays on the playstation.
Guest 1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2005, 13:01   #13
James45
Trusted User

that's some unusual region coding, thanks for the tip!
Old 26-02-2005, 21:10   #14
Guest 16217
Trusted User

Like many here - I buy most of my classics from dvdsoon.

However, I notice on amazon.ca website - all the Errol Flynn titles are marked as 'import'. Which implies that its not normally available in canada (but amazon canada are importing it). Hence the higher than usual prices.

The classic comedies collection was never sold on dvdsoon, and it is marked as 'import' on the amazon ca website too.

If dvdsoon will not carry the errol flynn titles - what are our best options in terms of price to get these classics.

I intend to buy:

Sea Hawk
Captain Blood
Private lives of elizabeth and essex

Any other retailers you'd recommend. Or do you think I'm wrong and dvdsoon will carry the titles...

Last edited by am1001aa; 26-02-2005 at 21:14.
Guest 16217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2005, 13:45   #15
Guest 49780
Trusted User

Captain Blood and Sea Hawk

Hi i'm new here on this forum.
Does any one know if Captain Blood and Sea Hawk going to be released in color or black & white?
What i can see at Amozon.com they have it listed with color, whether at the Movies Unlimited they have listed as black & white.
Please i'll be happy if somone can give me corect info.
Thanks
Guest 49780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2005, 14:55   #16
Guest 29
Last Of The Independents

Welcome to the forums

Warners R1 are very reliable on these matters - indeed, they're probably the best distributor currently working. I'm as certain as I can be that both films will be released in gorgeously restored black and white. I suspect Amazon are talking out of their fundament and it wouldn't be the first time.
Guest 29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 15:58   #17
Guest 49780
Trusted User

No Mike i've checked warners upcoming DVD releases and it state for both DVD's of Captain Blood and Sea Hawk in color http://www.boredguru.com/shop/shop_us_65_61.html
Guest 49780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2005, 19:29   #18
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Nah, don't worry Chris, they certainly won't be 'colorized' (hate that word), and Warners will do the right thing by these movies.

Getting close now - cheapest at DVD Soon at $46.98 CAD here.

Watched The Adventures of Don Juan today; hope Warners come up with this one soon. Flynn's last great swashbuckler and enormous fun.

Last edited by John Hodson; 25-03-2005 at 19:31.
Old 08-04-2005, 17:28   #19
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Restoration expert Robert Harris is first out of the trap with an early peek over at the HTF:

I've taken a very quick advance peek at Warner Home Video's new Errol Flynn Collection which arrives on store shelves and in mailboxes shortly.

Picking a single title from the collection as representative, I selected Dodge City (1939), directed by Michael Curtiz.

Something that must be kept in mind is that the set is streeting at or below $45. That's less than $9 per film with the bonus disc thrown in.

I felt the need to mention this because one might make an incorrect assumption that quality may have been allowed to slip to hit a price point.

It hasn't.

Dodge City was one of only ten feature films to be photographed in the new three-strip Technicolor process for release in 1939. Another was The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex, also in the collection. This was an expensive and intricate process with original nitrate elements having been used again and again in the intervening 66 years.

Dodge City is a beautifully rendered representation of what a Technicolor film of the era should look like -- only sharper and more detailed than was ever seen during that era. Dodge City has not gone through the digital clean-up given to some of the other Warner releases, but the film does not suffer for it.

What you are allowed to see are occasional yellow, cyan and magenta bits of damage or detritus that have become part of the film over the years -- some part of it from day one. Nothing disturbing image, and all part of the film.

If you move forward on a frame by frame basis, you'll be able to see that the three records seldom registred at splices, something normal for the process, as the records have literally been knocked out of any possible registration.

In short, the film looks as perfect as one might expect from Warner, without the extra (and exceedingly expensive) digital work.

As has been the recent Warner concept, Dodge City comes with a Night at the Movies, hosted by Leonard Maltin, ie. short, trailer and cartoon. In this case, Warner again, trumps the package by throwing in one of the few three-strip shorts of the era, the 1939 Sons of Liberty, the story of Hayn Salomon, who helped finance the American Revolution.

The short is the perfect choice, as it not only won the Academy Award, but was also directed by Michael Curtiz.

From this quick look at a single film, (and an even quicker look at a few moments of Elizabeth and Essex), I'm pleased to state that Warner has again knocked one out of the home video ballpark.

The Errol Flynn Collection gets my highest recommendation. These film are worth their weight in gold.
Old 10-04-2005, 21:48   #20
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

And Robert Harris on the quite fabulous The Sea Hawk;

Warner's new DVD of Michael Curtiz's remake of The Sea Hawk is another beautifully rendered release.

One of my personal all-time favorites, the film holds up perfectly to modern viewing, with Mr. Flynn's performance at the very top of his swashbuckling game.

As with the previous laserdisc release, this is a version which I had never been able to see. The film was cut for re-issue more than two reels, 24 minutes, and the only version available until the restoration, based upon (as I recall, a nitrate print held by the BFI) was the shorter cut as seen non-theatrically and on television for decades.

The Sea Hawk is part of what I hope will be the first of several Flynn Collections from the studio, with five of his finest films in this initial release.

As the additional 24 minutes were derived from a full-contrast print, there is an obvious difference between the surviving original element and the reconstructed material. Rather than being disturbing, the difference is just enough to allow those interested to track what was cut as the film progresses. Another point of technical interest is the inclusion of an original sepia toned sequence, as found in the original.

For those who might be mis-lead by what may appear to be an "old black and white film..."

Make no mistake.

The Sea Hawk is not only one of the greatest films of its era and genre, but stands the test of time against modern productions, as one of the greatest adventure films ever produced.

Do not allow the fact that it can be purchased for slightly more than a glass of nice wine to dissuade from its purchase.

This is one of the films which must be owned.

And so say all of us...