Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Old 03-08-2004, 14:33   #1
avid fan
Trusted User

Question A couple of Sky questions

I'm looking into getting Sky soon, and wondered about a couple of things:

1) My brother already has Sky in an end room of his house, and wants to move it into his main room. It's best to leave the dish where it is, so its a case of extending the cabling around by 20 feet (ish) to feed into the new location. He's planning to try extending the cabling himself, but I was just wondering - would sky do this for you free of charge? - Otherwise he could just cancel and then take out a new subscription (and hence free installation again). He is on the premium package fyi.

2) This may be obvious to many, but if I get sky into my lounge how easy is it to get it on the tv in my bedroom? I don't want a second box or anything, i'd be happy to set a channel downstairs (ie its just for when I get banished to watch football

Any help would be much appreciated.
avid fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 14:43   #2
Roborob
The Mad Bad Cyber Archer!

Location: North of Southpark Village, South Side, Glasgow, Scotland, UK, European Union, Europe, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe, This Dimension... I think.
Loco No real problems there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avid fan
I'm looking into getting Sky soon, and wondered about a couple of things:

1) My brother already has Sky in an end room of his house, and wants to move it into his main room. It's best to leave the dish where it is, so its a case of extending the cabling around by 20 feet (ish) to feed into the new location. He's planning to try extending the cabling himself, but I was just wondering - would sky do this for you free of charge? - Otherwise he could just cancel and then take out a new subscription (and hence free installation again). He is on the premium package fyi.

2) This may be obvious to many, but if I get sky into my lounge how easy is it to get it on the tv in my bedroom? I don't want a second box or anything, i'd be happy to set a channel downstairs (ie its just for when I get banished to watch football

Any help would be much appreciated.
In answer to your questions,

1. Sky Charge for every thing, you could chane the position of your sky box easily enough yourself as long as you have the correct cable and a phone link.

2. If you want to watch sky in other rooms you need just buy a signal transmitter that way you watch the same signal in multiple room. But be warned you can only watch one Sky channel at once so unless the people in the main roon are watching terrestrial they are watching the same thing as you in the bedroom, Very usefull if you want to watch Sky from your bed.

I don't know what cable is needed for the sky moval but I'm prety sure you can get existing kits like the signal transmitter that also sends back instruction ie change channel These sorts of things are available in many high street stores and Argos and Index.
Old 03-08-2004, 14:57   #3
avid fan
Trusted User

Thanks for that - can you point me in the direction of one of these signal transmitters though - can't find any!

Just out of curiousity - why can't you just cancel sky and re-subscribe to get them to do the cabling for a different room?
Old 03-08-2004, 15:06   #4
Guest 1724
XBL: pennepacker

Quote:
Thanks for that - can you point me in the direction of one of these signal transmitters though - can't find any
For a wireless one

Direct Affiliated Link

Or if you don't mind running a wire, then you can run an RF cable from the spare outlet on the back of the digibox, and change channels using a TVLink connection

http://www.tvlink.co.uk/tvlink.htm

Last edited by Alan. b; 03-08-2004 at 15:50. Reason: to add affiliate link
Guest 1724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 15:25   #5
Esteban - CotS
Trusted User

extending Sky cable is dead easy. just pop into your local home electronics shop and ask for some Sky cable and the adaptors. I extended mine last year at a cost of about £5, probably about the same length as your brother needs too. probably about the same skill level as wiring a plug, not too hard. you just need to be able to strip wire really. ask them in the store if they can show you how to do it.

they don't really recommend having joined cable though, but I told them it was only temporary as we were getting Sky+ soon they didn't seem too bothered.
Esteban - CotS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 15:46   #6
robzinski
Not on the list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay
For a wireless one

Direct Affiliated Link
Use the forums affiliate link

http://www.qksrv.net/click-582776-10...etmodule=42501

Last edited by robzinski; 03-08-2004 at 15:52.
robzinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 15:50   #7
pompeyfan
Built for comfort

Quote:
Just out of curiousity - why can't you just cancel sky and re-subscribe to get them to do the cabling for a different room?
Because free or discounted installation is a one-off for new customers and once per household.
Old 03-08-2004, 16:16   #8
avid fan
Trusted User

Ah

Question - on the Maplin site, do you need to buy both items (L43AT at £30 and the L97AU at reduced £20), or does the first item have both included?
Old 03-08-2004, 17:55   #9
Guest 1724
XBL: pennepacker

Quote:
Ah

Question - on the Maplin site, do you need to buy both items (L43AT at £30 and the L97AU at reduced £20), or does the first item have both included?
The L43AT pack should have everything you need. The extra one is just if you want to distribute to another TV as well (so you would have two TVs wirelessly connected rather than 1)

So if you just want one TV upstairs connected to Sky then just the L43AT will do. If you want to share it to another telly in another bedroom as well then you can buy as many additional L97AUs as you need.

I can't vouch for the quality of the Maplin one, but I have a similar type of thing made by Tranwo which does the job very nicely. They were on offer for £30 in Netto a while ago.

And sorry about the affiliate link - thanks for correcting it Alan b

Last edited by Art Vanderlay; 03-08-2004 at 17:59.
Guest 1724 is offline   Reply With Quote