Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 21:02   #1
home_bas
Trusted User

Charlton Thread 04/05

So, Rommedahl it is!!!

Not too keen on Bryan Hughes tho... the word was Morientes was in the bag...

Any ideas on how we'll spend the rest of our ********r dosh?

North Stand, Block B, row RR, 116. See you next month!
Old 01-07-2004, 21:11   #2
Guest 16495
Trusted User

Apparently kezman for £5 mil from psv (i think)is a possibility. Supposed to be a quality striker who was more prolific than nistleroy when they were partners.

Oh and a centre back called el kha something to replace refus.

Champions league in season 06/07!
Old 01-07-2004, 21:14   #3
Guest 7899
El Phenomino

You are after Vassell for £3m. Curbs wants him on the cheap. Odd, considering he has scored double figures last season and played a good Euro 2004.
Old 01-07-2004, 21:16   #4
home_bas
Trusted User

Yeah, there were rumours about Kezza, we SERIOUSLY need a striker... this would be a fantastic signing if Curbs can pull it off. Apparently he's happy to play at a smaller club and work his way up - if we got a few good seasons out of him (and a sell on clause) I'd be happy with that.

El Karkouri was rumoured to have signed already, looks like this won't happen. Heard conflicting reports on this guy...

Champions League, you're havin' a laff, Champions League, you're havin' a laff...
Old 02-07-2004, 12:38   #5
new
Sand Dab

Dam, I have been posting in the old one!

home_bas - can you edit the old header with a "please close", so the mods can close it?

Anyway here are my last two posts (a bit out of date now):

Thursday 1st July -
Quote:
Latest reports suggest that the two free agents signed by Curbs are midfielder Bryan Hughes and Moroccan defender Talal El Karkouri & will be announced by the club today (1st July).

I have to admit when Curbs mentioned that two players had been signed but could not be announced until 1st July, I was expecting two slightly bigger names that would be first team members rather than squad players.

Bryan Hughes is coming from Birmingham & is properly more of a long term replacement for Graham Stuart,, than as a replacement for Scott Parker.

Talal El Karkouri is going from Paris Saint Germain, & I seam to rember him having a nightmare of a season at Sunderland when they got relegated a couple of years ago, so he must have played very well since then for Curbs to go for him.

On the plus side PSV Eindhoven winger Dennis Rommedahl is holding talks with Charlton & we are still the only club to lodge a bid for PSV striker Mateja Kezman. Kezman has not ruled us out, but his club are holding out for more money.

We are also being linked with Sheffield United's England Under-21 star Phil Jagielka & West Hams Michael Carrick, who would be a much better prospect than Talal El Karkouri & Bryan Hughes IMO, but being a small club we cant be to fussy.

Can we?

EDIT
The Addicks will play in front of the cameras on seven occasions before Christmas - as many times as they were broadcast live during the whole of last season.

The only down side is the Sky Sports ones are all home, apart from the Palace one & thats only down the road!

Live on Sky Sports
Charlton v Southampton - Monday, September 13th (8pm)
Charlton v Blackburn Rovers - Monday, September 27th (8pm)
Charlton v Newcastle United - Sunday, October 17th (4:05pm)
Crystal Palace v Charlton - Sunday, December 5th (4:05pm)
Charlton v Fulham - Monday, December 20th (8pm)

Live on pay-per-view
Liverpool v Charlton - Saturday, October 23rd (5:15pm)
Manchester United v Charlton - Saturday, November 20th (12:45pm)
&

Friday 2nd July -
Quote:
Charlton have completed the signing of Denmark international winger Dennis Rommedahl, paying PSV Eindhoven £2 million for his services.

Charlton Athletic have also finalised a move for Bryan Hughes - with the versatile midfielder signing a three-year deal after leaving Birmingham on a Bosman free-transfer (after speaking to a Birmingham fan & doing a bit of research I may have been a bit hard on him in my post above).

No confermation on the Talal El Karkouri, so Im not sure its going to happen.
& heres todays -
Really pleased we have got an out-an-out winger again, as we dont always seam to give our strikers good service, and thats face it with some of our strikers goal rate they need a few!.

I really hope we get Kezman, if not we MUST get another straight in to the first team striker.

In an ideal world I would hope for:
Kezman (striker)
Phil Jagielka (defender, who can tackle, dribble & pass!)
& maybe Michael Carrick

Chapions league ! No chance, Ill settle for around 8th -5th, with A UAFA cup spot a real bonus.

I would also hope for a decent cup run this year, as the last few years have been very disappointing.

Quote:
home_bas - North Stand, Block B, row RR, 116. See you next month!
I have not got my season ticket yet, but I should be in the North Stand somewhere. Ill give you a & maybe a pint in Floyds!

Last edited by new; 02-07-2004 at 13:09.
Old 02-07-2004, 12:46   #6
Rohail
Ultimo hombre

Gotta say that deal for Rommedahl for £2 mil is a bargain
Charlton have got a really good player there.

A few years ago he would have been available for about £8 million
Old 05-07-2004, 09:44   #7
new
Sand Dab

Oh well looks like Kezman is off to Chelsea

I hope Curbs has a few other ist team strikers in mind (after teh last 4 weeks I would'nt mind Angelos Charisteas).
Old 07-07-2004, 05:59   #8
new
Sand Dab

Gary Rowett has been forced to retire from the game due to
a knee injury.
The 30-year-old joined the club from Leicester City for £3.5m in 2002, but
made just 13 appearances for the Addicks.
Charlton boss Alan Curbishley said: "I'm absolutely gutted by the news Gary
has had to retire.
"He was a player of enormous ability on and off the field, and is someone we
are going to miss."

What with this & Rufus, thats two 1st team defenders gone now

Also Lazio are (aperently) planning a surprise move to try and bring Charlton forward Paolo Di Canio back to the Stadio Olimpico.

On the plus side I got my season ticket confirmed for next season.
Upper North Stand, block L

So it looks like I will be looking down on you home_bas, beware of falling food when things dont go well

Last edited by new; 07-07-2004 at 07:55.
Old 12-07-2004, 05:35   #9
new
Sand Dab

Charlton have captured their fourth new signing of the summer - Morocco international Talal el Karkouri. The central defender put pen to paper on a three-year deal on Sunday, and moves from Paris St Germain in a deal worth £1m.

Still not sure about this one, but Curbs gets it right more time than not so we shall see.

We are also now being linked with Spurs striker Kanoute, Everton striker Tomasz Radzinski, West Brom midfielder Jason Koumas and Marseille midfielder Mathieu Flamini.

Would'nt mind Kanoute out of that lot.

Last edited by new; 12-07-2004 at 08:57.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:07   #10
new
Sand Dab

Aston Villa have completed the signing of Chelsea striker Carlton Cole in a season-long loan deal.

Hmm, not sure if Charlton will get some extra dosh from Chelsea or another of there players on loan, as him staying at Charlton for another year was part of the Parker deal (although it appears no one asked Cole if he wanted to go back to the valley )
Old 13-07-2004, 14:41   #11
Guest 17113
(c.485-c.406)

Quote:
Originally Posted by new
Aston Villa have completed the signing of Chelsea striker Carlton Cole in a season-long loan deal.

Hmm, not sure if Charlton will get some extra dosh from Chelsea or another of there players on loan, as him staying at Charlton for another year was part of the Parker deal (although it appears no one asked Cole if he wanted to go back to the valley )
From our point of view is he worth it ?
Old 14-07-2004, 05:57   #12
new
Sand Dab

Quote:
Originally Posted by new

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euripedes
From our point of view is he worth it ?
He had a lot of injures last season & was also caught up in that hotel incident, so we did not se a lot of him.
When he did play he was not as good as I thought he would be, but that could be the above having an effect on him (I would gladly swap him with you for Vassell ).

If Cole does not want to play for us & is forced to play for Charlton he's hardly going to give us 100% now either.

But a deal is a deal & as Chelsea gave him to us for another year as part of the Parker deal we should get some one else or some form of compensation out of them.

Varney, has stated on our website: "I am aware that our supporters are expecting to see Carlton Cole to return to the club on loan for 2004/5.
The announcement by Aston Villa and Chelsea that they have agreed a year's loan is premature and I do not wish to make any further comments at this time."

So it looks like he's on the case.

Last edited by new; 14-07-2004 at 10:57.
Old 15-07-2004, 08:27   #13
new
Sand Dab

Not sure how reliable this is but some fan websites are stating that both Overmans & James Beattie , have been spotted at & with Charlton representatives in the past 24hours.

Overmars is not such a big surprise, but the fact that they also mention Beattie suggests we take this with a pinch of salt.

Mathieu Flamini transfer is also supposed to be happening soon, which if Overmars joins as well makes that midfield a bit crowded!
Old 15-07-2004, 08:48   #14
home_bas
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by new
On the plus side I got my season ticket confirmed for next season.
Upper North Stand, block L

So it looks like I will be looking down on you home_bas, beware of falling food when things dont go well

I don't know anyone who wants Cole back at the Valley - he was a lazy sod and didn't chase anything. Highlighted by coming on as a sub in the last game of the season, scoring, then getting subbed off!

He can never last a whole game either - Villa are welcome to him. However, the principle is that he should be with us this season as part of the Snotty deal so we should be compensated in some way (Huth would be nice...)

I would definately take the Overmars and Beattie rumour with a pinch of salt though... Beattie would be a great signing, but not sure if we are a 'better' move for him. Note to Curbs - WE NEED STRIKERS!

Anyone actually got their season ticket yet? Money came out last month, hopefully they're being sent soon! Oh, and don't forget the Chievo game! You never know, we might be adventurous rather than scoring a goal and defending for the rest of the game... maybe Errikson was coming to watch Curbs rather than Parker last season...

Last edited by home_bas; 15-07-2004 at 08:52.
Old 15-07-2004, 09:14   #15
new
Sand Dab

Quote:
Originally Posted by home_bas
I would definately take the Overmars and Beattie rumour with a pinch of salt though... Beattie would be a great signing, but not sure if we are a 'better' move for him. Note to Curbs - WE NEED STRIKERS!

Anyone actually got their season ticket yet? Money came out last month, hopefully they're being sent soon! Oh, and don't forget the Chievo game! You never know, we might be adventurous rather than scoring a goal and defending for the rest of the game... maybe Errikson was coming to watch Curbs rather than Parker last season...
I got a letter last week confirming my Season Ticket will be sent out end of July/early August (very early I hope!),

I agree about the Beattie thing, Curbs would have to do a hell of a selling job on him to get him as Im sure we wouldn't be able to offer him a mega money wage.

Not sure if we really need Overmars, but yes we need a 1st team striker URGENTLY!

Last edited by new; 15-07-2004 at 09:28.
Old 23-07-2004, 11:12   #16
new
Sand Dab

FULHAM LAND DANE FROM CHARLTON

Fulham have snapped up Claus Jensen from London rivals Charlton Athletic in a £1.25 million deal.

Addicks boss Alan Curbishley admits he opted to cash in on the 27-year-old when the midfielder showed no inclination to sign a new deal with the club.
"Claus had one year remaining on his contract and made it clear to us that he didn't wish to renew his contract and that he no longer wanted to play for the club, as he felt he needed a new challenge," Curbishley told Charlton's official website. From the minute Claus was approached by Fulham, it was clear that he wanted to join them."

Bit of a blow & a bolt out of blue this one as he was something a bit different in midfield, and although not a great player was a very good one for us over the years.

Still no more news on a striker (or another midfielder now).
Old 24-07-2004, 22:36   #17
home_bas
Trusted User

Didn't see this coming at all...

Esp. seeing as Fulham are a 'rival' of ours, seems v. daft. We SERIOUSLY need a striker and another midfielder now!

Curbs - you have 8Mil, bloody spend it!
Old 26-07-2004, 06:35   #18
new
Sand Dab

Quote:
Originally Posted by home_bas
Didn't see this coming at all...

Esp. seeing as Fulham are a 'rival' of ours, seems v. daft. We SERIOUSLY need a striker and another midfielder now!

Curbs - you have 8Mil, bloody spend it!
I know, its getting so frustrating, here we are waiting for players to come in, & then we go & sell one!

Still it was down to him rather than the club.

I suppose in Curbs defense, he has got to spend the 8m (although with the insurance money the club has got from Rufus:bow: & Rowett its properly more like £10-£12m now) on the right player's. Hopefully now he is on the way back from China we will see a few players coming in.

Latest rumors are:
Overmars - (still!) although he was linked with a few more clubs in at the weekend.

James Beattie - this is the one I really want, although Spurs have now apparently joined the race, & it would take a good talk from Curbs to pull it off.

HAVIN GRAVESSON - has only 1 year left on his contract at Everton, & wants to move on.

Darius Vassell - Is apparently not happy being a bit part at Villa anymore, & has also been linked with a cheeky £3m offer from Charlton.

Francis Jeffers - that "fox in the box" is now surplus to requirements at Arsenal who want to cut there wage bill ( If Wenger is such a good manager at developing young talent, what the hell went wrong with him )

Matias Almeyda - Inter Milan midfielder. I dont know a lot about him other that from his states he must be a holding/defensive midfielder because he has not scored a lot of goals! )

Michael Carrick - (again!) The relegation fodder, sorry crystal palace had a bid of 2.5m turned down on Friday, as West Ham hold out for £3m. Some sources say he is linked to Charlton again since Jensen's departure, while others state he's staying at West Ham.

Jonatan Johansson - Some sources are saying that the move to Norwich was turned down by the player & NOT the club, & crystal palace are now rumored to be in for him. If we do get a couple of strikers then I have to admit I would not be that bothered to see JJ go as he has never really done it for us in the Premiership.

All the above are rumors from various fan sites, newspapers, etc., but hopefully one or two of the big ones will happen.

Last edited by new; 26-07-2004 at 08:07.
Old 26-07-2004, 11:40   #19
new
Sand Dab

I think Overmars is now a no go:

"Marc Overmars has confirmed earlier reports that he is retiring from the professional game.

The Dutch winger was released by Barcelona this summer and, although he would have had few problems finding a new club, the 31-year-old feels he is unable to reproduce his best form due to knee injury niggles.

Although representing his country in Euro 2004, and featuring in the semi-final against Portugal, the ex-Arsenal star has decided to prematurely hang up his boots.

"My future as a footballer ends today," he announced at a press conference.

"My knee has caused me lots of problems and I can no longer continue to play at the level that I want."

Barcelona have backed the player's decision, he had a year left on his deal at Camp Nou even though he was being freed, and it will be interesting to see which direction Overmars now takes.

The speedy wide man joined Barca from Arsenal in 2000 after enjoying huge popularity with the Highbury crowd."
Old 27-07-2004, 12:27   #20
steviep922
gamertag : steviep922

Beattie would be a good signing. Hes the sort of player we need, somebody who can give us 15-20 goals a season.

I don't know why Curbs sticks with Bartlett, he just doesn't deliver the goods. He's not a natural goalscorer. Johnanssen had promise a couple of seasons ago but hasn't fulfilled that early promise. Like New said, it wouldn't be a disappoint if he left.
Closed Thread