Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Computing Forum

Old 08-05-2004, 17:50   #1
Guest 7601
Trusted User

Broadband, wireless networking, new PC and related topics

Need some advice please

Before I explain the situation I should say that I have searched and have probably decided to go for a Pipex connection and a Dell Dimension but I have no idea about this stuff and need your advice.

As simply as I can put it:

The problem started here ... I have a business at home and need to put in a new phone point through which I can run the swipe card (Cardnet) payment facility. This is currently in an private room and the printed voucher taken to the customer who signs but, as many of you will know, by the end of this year all such systems will require the customer to enter their PIN directly and so we have to move the system to a more convenient place. Routing connectors etc will not work and is not an option and the new handheld, fully mobile systems are too expensive considering we are contracted to the one we have.

So I plan to put a new BT line in the hall. I assume it is not possible to transfer the ADSL signal from this point to a PC unless a PC is attached at this point right? Sounds obvious but want to confirm that is not an option.

If that is the case I will have to connect via a line in the kitchen which isn't ideal but there you go. I would probably have to use a laptop here but also have a personal PC 3 floors up, a second PC next door in the business and a second laptop that roams so am interested in wireless for all 3 computers. If I am right I need the router in the laptop attached to the kitchen phone line and then 3 Wireless Cardbus Adapters in the remaining 3 PCs?

I was thinking about going for this pair from the bargain forums but obviosuly getting two additional cards.

Does that all make sense and look like a decent package?

Am I missing something obvious and a much easier solution?

Will the laptop be ok as a router for so many other PCs?

Pipex get good write ups in this forum on searching and the Solo 500 Lite looks good but not sure what 1Gb Monthly bandwidth means and how much it will hinder me? Are the cheaper 150/250 options that much slower?

Not sure re the Dell but only need something basic really. The main thing is a decent TFT and memory.

Would it make sense for me to get a card put in the Dell or does it have to match the router?

So many questions - I've confused you guys now as well.

Last edited by lorenzo; 08-05-2004 at 17:53.
Guest 7601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 17:51   #2
SteveC
Trusted User

Off to the computing forum you go!
SteveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 18:03   #3
Guest 7601
Trusted User

Old 09-05-2004, 07:30   #4
Guest 1241
Mr Unhelpful

that wireless broadband router can be fitted on any of the BT sockets that you like, you can hardwire a PC to it it has network sockets, then as you say fit wireless cards to the other PC's.

From your description of your layout, I'd say fit the Router in the middle floor of your house to get best coverage wirelessly
Guest 1241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 09:58   #5
Guest 7601
Trusted User

Cheers - makes sense but it just happens to be the only place without a phone line - typical

A little rearranging is needed me thinks.

Having read lots of related threads throughout the evening I am not so sure BB is for me? I do not download or stay on line for ages but I really need a free line and a faster connection. May go for one of the cheaper Pipex deals to start - I assume you can always upgrade if I need more?