Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Closed Thread

Old 29-05-2003, 19:59   #61
Guest 7802
I love my bitch

Quote:
Originally posted by lorenzo
I'm a Man Utd fan through and through - always have and always will
Just seems strange that your dad is on the blackburn board and your son is a loyal Blackburn supporter. The Blackburn player I'd like to get is Brad Friedel.
Old 29-05-2003, 20:26   #62
madstu
Trusted User

centre mid field is Utd's strongest position.

Definately need to buy either left back and move silvestre in to centre defence or centre half - that has to be priority.

Then striker, cus if Ruud is out then we are buggered, not sure is Buggs Bunny is the answer - if we buy him i think we need another striker still and cut our losses on Forlan, who Fergie does not have enough faith in, and i don't think he will ever be a top top class player.

Not sure about the goalkeeping situation - Barthez is still a good keeper, and i don't think there are many keepers who are available who are better than him.

And if Kewell is going cheaply - he'd be nice! way better than Duff, and may solve the second striker problem - with Giggs or Kewell playing that role, with the other on the wing.
Old 29-05-2003, 23:08   #63
Listy
Hello meatball

Quote:
I can't abide this 'have you been to OT' and 'do you hold a season ticket' etc mentality that demands certain criteria for you to be a fan. Yes there are lots and lots of soft supporters but regardless of how often you go / have been to OT many of us still find our saturdays, our weeks and generaly our lives dedicated to following the team whether that is through TV, radio or in my case Ceefax
Thank god for some sanity in this thread I have supported United for nearly 11 years (since I was 10) and I could literally rip peoples heads off when they call me a glory supporter, I mean FFS did I abandon them when they lost the title to Blackburn... did I edit and did I abandon them when they lost the title to the Arseheads TWICE... no edit way! I'm United through and through and I bet I'm more passionate than alot of the people who go to OT (or should I say "the Prawn Sandwich Brigade") who very thoughtfully and supportively BOOED AND JEERED our most loyal player in Ryan Giggs when he needed support... yeah nice one, bet he appreciated that

Sorry about the masked swearing

Last edited by Listy; 30-05-2003 at 12:29.
Old 30-05-2003, 06:02   #64
Guest 20298
Trusted User

How come you only started supporting them 11 years ago:confused:
Old 30-05-2003, 07:57   #65
mjb1975
Blandiblub

cos he is only 21 from what I can gather and 'chose' his team at the age of 10.

I can't say I really remember exactly when I started supporting Spurs, it just seems like I always have! I think I started when my uncle took me to WHL when I was about 6 or 7.
Old 30-05-2003, 09:54   #66
Guest 7802
I love my bitch

Quote:
Originally posted by david2002
How come you only started supporting them 11 years ago:confused:
11 years ago = glory fan.
Old 30-05-2003, 10:13   #67
Guest 7601
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally posted by nc
That just about sums your attitude up nc

He was 10 for Christs sake

I should have added age of first interest <5 to my list of requirements to support Utd (I do still qualify though )

Part of Utd's success is our general appeal and trust me the board are more than happy and indeed to some degree dependent upon prawn sandwich and token supporters. We all know that you can get tickets for OT and even season tickets if you want them hard enough so you cannot blame such followers for taking tickets etc.

Now Zoe Ball saying live on Radio 1 that she had a ticket for the Italy - England Euro qualifier but was too tired to get on the plane and that she likes MU because Beckham has nice legs is enough to make me flip Michael Douglas Falling Down style

Basically no one can tell anyone else they they are not a fan as you do not know what makes others tick. There is a difference however in the degree one goes to in supporting their team. Utd need a bit of everything otherwise we would only have 70 000 fans!

What is unacceptable is team swapping in relation to trophy success but that is a thing for the playground if we are honest.
Old 30-05-2003, 10:26   #68
Guest 20298
Trusted User

United are in for Troare and Cheyrou from Liverpool
Old 30-05-2003, 10:39   #69
blackslayer
Trusted User

Quote:

I should have added age of first interest <5 to my list of requirements to support Utd (I do still qualify though )

Part of Utd's success is our general appeal and trust me the board are more than happy and indeed to some degree dependent upon prawn sandwich and token supporters. We all know that you can get tickets for OT and even season tickets if you want them hard enough so you cannot blame such followers for taking tickets etc.

Now Zoe Ball saying live on Radio 1 that she had a ticket for the Italy - England Euro qualifier but was too tired to get on the plane and that she likes MU because Beckham has nice legs is enough to make me flip Michael Douglas Falling Down style

Basically no one can tell anyone else they they are not a fan as you do not know what makes others tick. There is a difference however in the degree one goes to in supporting their team. Utd need a bit of everything otherwise we would only have 70 000 fans!

What is unacceptable is team swapping in relation to trophy success but that is a thing for the playground if we are honest.
the point is that when i was a young lad growing up it was tradition to support the team that your dad followed which i have done and so have my children,but these days it`s about let`s follow the best team which has for the last ten or so years been man untied and good luck to them not my team though ,the son`s and daughter`s of friends of mine support man utd it`s not the local team but the most popular,they wish to be associated with winners but please dont tell me they would have the following they have if they had not been winning titles and cups year in and year out.that would be stretching things a bit to far

Last edited by blackslayer; 30-05-2003 at 10:42.
Old 30-05-2003, 11:20   #70
madstu
Trusted User

Quote:
[i]
What is unacceptable is team swapping in relation to trophy success but that is a thing for the playground if we are honest. [/B]
my mate used to support liverpool in the 80's and then started to support Aston Villa.

Now thats the opposite to being a Glory supporter.

Each and every team has glory supporters - thats how it goes. Thats why so many 30-40 year olds support Liverpool, and don't tell me arsenal don't have more fans now, since they have had moderate success in the past few seasons?
Old 30-05-2003, 11:29   #71
Guest 7899
El Phenomino

I am a glory hunter. We won the intertoto a couple of years ago

I thought this was a united - love in - transfer thread
Old 30-05-2003, 11:41   #72
Mandrill
Live !Tag Nabby81

Quote:
Originally posted by madstu
my mate used to support liverpool in the 80's and then started to support Aston Villa.

When I moved back to Luton from Brum I encoutered the same thing people who were now Villa fans who had previously supported Liverpool...

Though the fact Villa came second in 89/90 and 92/93 probarly had something to do with it...

I support Villa has I moved to Brum when I was 8 and lived 2 minutes from Villa Park I used to play football in Aston Park across the road from the ground.
Old 30-05-2003, 12:36   #73
ffc
On the sofa

Quote:

Why didn't you pick, Stockport, Oldham, Bolton, Rochdale or one of the other teams in the area? Maybe you chose Utd because they win things?
Old 30-05-2003, 14:41   #74
andybhoy
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally posted by nc
Thanks to all those "glory fans" Utd have the biggest fan base of any club, and they put millions into the club.

It's bad enough when opposition fans do it, without Utd fans getting arrogant.
Old 30-05-2003, 14:48   #75
andybhoy
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally posted by blackslayer
the point is that when i was a young lad growing up it was tradition to support the team that your dad followed which i have done and so have my children,but these days it`s about let`s follow the best team which has for the last ten or so years been man untied and good luck to them not my team though ,the son`s and daughter`s of friends of mine support man utd it`s not the local team but the most popular,they wish to be associated with winners but please dont tell me they would have the following they have if they had not been winning titles and cups year in and year out.that would be stretching things a bit to far
That is absolute nonsense; it's NEVER been a new phenomenon. I remember the liverpool shirts all over when they were good. Success attracts children (as this lad was) and they grow up to be genuine fans.

The important thing, is that these people STAY with the club for life. And most of them do.

I've never met an adult who changed his team in adulthood. It just doesn't happen. The simple fact is that ABUs and some Utd "fans" like to claim they have some sort of superiority when they don't. The saddest thign being that it's people like nc who give the ABUs all the ammunition they need.

And as for supporting your local team; we no longer live in a country where everyone stays where they're born. Half the country have moved away, so no longer support their "local" team - should they stop?

On top of that, many claim to support their local team, but what they actually mean is they support their local big team (most of Gateshead supports either Newcastle Or Sunderland, despite Gateshead having their own team).

Support who you want; stick with them, and never let idiots tell you you don't have the right. or that they're better than you.
Old 30-05-2003, 14:50   #76
Tob
Trusted User

Quote:
I can't abide this 'have you been to OT' and 'do you hold a season ticket' etc mentality that demands certain criteria for you to be a fan. Yes there are lots and lots of soft supporters but regardless of how often you go / have been to OT many of us still find our saturdays, our weeks and generaly our lives dedicated to following the team whether that is through TV, radio or in my case Ceefax most of the time. I know what makes me happy and sad and MU are pretty much near the top of the scale.
Thats what all the glory hunters say!
Old 30-05-2003, 14:50   #77
andybhoy
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally posted by ffc
Why didn't you pick, Stockport, Oldham, Bolton, Rochdale or one of the other teams in the area? Maybe you chose Utd because they win things?
He was 10 years old. Why should he have to defend a decision made as a child, when over half his life ago? The truth is, he doesn't have to defend himself; he can support whoever he wants.
Old 30-05-2003, 14:52   #78
Tob
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally posted by andybhoy
Support who you want; stick with them, and never let idiots tell you you don't have the right. or that they're better than you.
Fair enough, but don't come and sit in the home section of the crowd when Man Utd are playing in London, that is taking the pee.
Old 30-05-2003, 17:02   #79
Listy
Hello meatball

Cheers for the support lorenzo & andybhoy

Last edited by Listy; 30-05-2003 at 17:03.
Old 30-05-2003, 17:06   #80
Guest 7802
I love my bitch

Quote:
Originally posted by andybhoy
Thanks to all those "glory fans" Utd have the biggest fan base of any club, and they put millions into the club.

It's bad enough when opposition fans do it, without Utd fans getting arrogant.
True - but it's those fans that give Manchester United supporters such a bad name.

Last edited by nc; 30-05-2003 at 17:07.
Closed Thread