Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Closed Thread

Old 28-05-2003, 17:20   #41
Listy
Hello meatball

Yup David Dunn would be a must buy for me, especially for £5.5m as he has all the attributes needed to be a world class midfielder (can use both feet, can tackle, has an excellent shot and is an excellent passer of the ball).
Old 28-05-2003, 21:52   #42
AndrewC
Trusted User

David Dunn?
Old 28-05-2003, 21:58   #43
AndrewC
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally posted by lorenzo

Agreed ... end of story really and whilst I am still not his biggest fan he has a future at OT.

Not at all convinced by Ronaldinho (and very worried as to how Ron Atkinson will pronounce his name ) but as someone said here before it may be more to do with Nike than AF and the board
:norty:

I for one would take both Duff and Dunn from Blackburn and give Carrol and some of our youngsters a try as well as more of a role for Ole GS, Butt and Phil Neville.
Are you a Liverpool or Arsenal fan?
Old 28-05-2003, 22:38   #44
Guest 7802
I love my bitch

Quote:
Originally posted by AndrewC
The final paragraph is a bit of a joke. Ole has played more of a role in the past 18 months than the previous 5 years. Butt and Neville are good, but no more than squad players. Dunn would not even make the squad. Carroll is a good deputy, but his recent performance against Charlton showed why he will not be No.1
Old 29-05-2003, 13:23   #45
Guest 7601
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally posted by nc
The final paragraph is a bit of a joke. Ole has played more of a role in the past 18 months than the previous 5 years. Butt and Neville are good, but no more than squad players. Dunn would not even make the squad. Carroll is a good deputy, but his recent performance against Charlton showed why he will not be No.1
And you say my ideas were a joke :rolleyes:

I'm more than aware of Ole's role since his arrival at Utd but he has not been a regular starter. Both Butt and Neville played big parts in our mid-season and don't tell me that Nevilles contribution was just against the Arse at OT. Our best and most solid performances came when Keane, Veron and even Becks were out of the starting line up and that was turned our season around. I for one feel they all deserve more of a regular spot and would be well ****** off to be constantly considered a bit part of the squad by the fans. I for one think Butt is a must in the centre of midfield and was disappointed when he did not replace Scholes during his very poor form during the early and mid season.

You are probably one of those MU fans who want to see a 'name' in every position on the park. If Carroll went and had a great run at Villa, Blackburn etc then he'd probably be on your wanted list as would sevral other squad members. I am fed up with hearing who we should buy to replace so many players that have been truly loyal to us over the last 5-10 years.

Oh and by the way D Dunn is a top player - ask anyone who knows about football
Old 29-05-2003, 13:25   #46
Guest 7601
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally posted by AndrewC

Guess!
Old 29-05-2003, 16:02   #47
Guest 7802
I love my bitch

Quote:
And you say my ideas were a joke :rolleyes:

I'm more than aware of Ole's role since his arrival at Utd but he has not been a regular starter. Both Butt and Neville played big parts in our mid-season and don't tell me that Nevilles contribution was just against the Arse at OT. Our best and most solid performances came when Keane, Veron and even Becks were out of the starting line up and that was turned our season around. I for one feel they all deserve more of a regular spot and would be well ****** off to be constantly considered a bit part of the squad by the fans. I for one think Butt is a must in the centre of midfield and was disappointed when he did not replace Scholes during his very poor form during the early and mid season.

You are probably one of those MU fans who want to see a 'name' in every position on the park. If Carroll went and had a great run at Villa, Blackburn etc then he'd probably be on your wanted list as would sevral other squad members. I am fed up with hearing who we should buy to replace so many players that have been truly loyal to us over the last 5-10 years.

Oh and by the way D Dunn is a top player - ask anyone who knows about football
Our best performances came in the last 6 weeks - Keane was ever present.
Our best performances in Europe were when Veron played.
I'd agree about Becks - sell him for £40m!

I think you're being naive if all you think I want is a big name. The first name I'd want on my team sheet is John O'Shea - hardly a big name! Throughout the eighties and early nineties, Manchester United could bring through young and squad players -nowadays is different, Manchester United are the biggest club in the world. I have a lot of time for Nicky Butt and Phil Neville, but they are not world class.

Ole has been a regular for the past 2 seasons - he has played more games than not! Ole is my favorite player and he has become an even better player. He is the best finisher at United, but he would not make the team to make us the cream of Europe.

I know a lot about football and have probably seen Dunn play more than yourself. He is good, but nothing I've seen suggests he'd make it at OT. You do realise there's only 2 places in midfield? After Butt and P Neville, there'd be Keane, Scholes, Veron, Fortune, Richardson - and now Dunn?

Carroll probably would be great elsewhere, I'm not denying that. But United is a different story. Barthez, Bosnich, Taibi - all top keepers, but at United it is a different story - they cannot handle the pressure! Carroll has made a few blunders in goal this season, He has little CL experience and no world cup experience. It is essential that United find a keeper who is strong to the most extreme of pressures.
Old 29-05-2003, 16:06   #48
Guest 5659

Madrid said they don't want Beckham neither does Milan, for £35+ who would?
Old 29-05-2003, 16:12   #49
Guest 7802
I love my bitch

Quote:
Originally posted by Way_2_FAT
Madrid said they don't want Beckham neither does Milan, for £35+ who would?
I'm sure Torquay would have him for £35.
Old 29-05-2003, 16:41   #50
Guest 5659

Quote:
Originally posted by nc
I'm sure Torquay would have him for £35.
Are you sure?

His wage would kill the club within a week, or possibly within a day
Old 29-05-2003, 16:45   #51
Guest 7601
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally posted by nc
Our best performances came in the last 6 weeks - Keane was ever present.
Our best performances in Europe were when Veron played.
I'd agree about Becks - sell him for £40m!
We all know that and probably all agree.

No one would buy Becks for such stupid money and if you don't think we would miss his marketing ability then you're les of a bsiness man than I.

Quote:
Originally posted by nc
I think you're being naive if all you think I want is a big name. The first name I'd want on my team sheet is John O'Shea - hardly a big name! Throughout the eighties and early nineties, Manchester United could bring through young and squad players -nowadays is different
John O'Shea is becoming a big name and undoubtedly a class act but would you have given him the run he has had (somewhat fortuitously I may add) if we had had the money for someone like Thuram or Nesta back when he was introduced to the team to cover injuries?

Quote:
Originally posted by nc
Carroll probably would be great elsewhere, I'm not denying that. But United is a different story. Barthez, Bosnich, Taibi - all top keepers, but at United it is a different story - they cannot handle the pressure! Carroll has made a few blunders in goal this season, He has little CL experience and no world cup experience. It is essential that United find a keeper who is strong to the most extreme of pressures.
See above! I disagree that Bosnich and Taibi ever demonstrated class and Barthez has always been too small.

I do agree though that of all the positions a keeper with CL experience is a distinct advantage and you may well be right. Paul Robinson has been to the semi's with Leeds though so is that good enough?

Quote:
Originally posted by nc
Ole has been a regular for the past 2 seasons - he has played more games than not! Ole is my favorite player and he has become an even better player.
More games than not does not = starter which is what I suggested. Quote his goals per game as a starter vs a sub all you like - the stats are flawed due to the number of games as a sub in his earlier career.

Quote:
Originally posted by nc
He is the best finisher at United, but he would not make the team to make us the cream of Europe.
Most of Italy said the same about Inzaghi and guess what he has in his pocket after last night. Good CL this year but little else and misses more than Andy Cole.

Quote:
Originally posted by nc
I know a lot about football and have probably seen Dunn play more than yourself. He is good, but nothing I've seen suggests he'd make it at OT. You do realise there's only 2 places in midfield? After Butt and P Neville, there'd be Keane, Scholes, Veron, Fortune, Richardson - and now Dunn?

There's me thinking it was 10!

Quote:
Originally posted by nc
I know a lot about football and have probably seen Dunn play more than yourself.
:confused:

I'm sure you do ... did you know that my dad is on the board at Blackburn and that my son rarely misses a game?
Old 29-05-2003, 16:50   #52
Guest 5659

"A deal worth £60M including exchanging PK for Becks to Barca...."

http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/030529/21/e12cd.html
Old 29-05-2003, 16:53   #53
Tob
Trusted User

Quote:
I'm sure you do ... did you know that my dad is on the board at Blackburn and that my son rarely misses a game?

I like Dunn alot, he is a good player that could become a great player.
Old 29-05-2003, 17:11   #54
Guest 7802
I love my bitch

Quote:
Originally posted by Way_2_FAT
"A deal worth £60M including exchanging PK for Becks to Barca...."

http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/030529/21/e12cd.html
Seems strange, given that Barca are deep in debt, and Beckham is £35m+ and PK is available for very little.
Old 29-05-2003, 17:13   #55
Guest 8751
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally posted by nc
Seems strange, given that Barca are deep in debt, and Beckham is £35m+ and PK is available for very little.

1.5 million buyout clause (allegedly)
but those wages OUCH
Old 29-05-2003, 17:15   #56
Guest 7802
I love my bitch

I'm totally lost, lorenzo:confused: You're a Blackburn fan and want Dunn to go to Man Utd?
Old 29-05-2003, 17:21   #57
Guest 7601
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally posted by nc
I'm totally lost, lorenzo:confused: You're a Blackburn fan and want Dunn to go to Man Utd?
I'm a Man Utd fan through and through - always have and always will
Old 29-05-2003, 17:56   #58
Listy
Hello meatball

Quote:
I'm a Man Utd fan through and through - always have and always will
Have you ever been to OT though, if not then apparently you are not allowed to have any views on the Man Utd players or their potential signings and are a "glory supporter" (although I have no idea if there's a time span on that )
Old 29-05-2003, 18:01   #59
Guest 4630

I think i'll rename the Thread

Man Utd Transfer Rumours
Considering how many players they are being linked with

Last edited by Sonick; 29-05-2003 at 21:46.
Old 29-05-2003, 19:19   #60
Guest 7601
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally posted by Listy
Have you ever been to OT though, if not then apparently you are not allowed to have any views on the Man Utd players or their potential signings and are a "glory supporter" (although I have no idea if there's a time span on that )
I went all the time as a lad and fairly regularly until 5-6 years ago when sadly work, marriage and parenthood took over my life
We still get up there when we can though.

It's funny seeing Wolves go bvack up as I can remember seeing them at OT ages ago when we had big Gordon McQueen playing for us. I saw possibly his greatest foray into the other half when he made a 50-60 yard run down the left wing of all places only to trip himself up and lose the ball about 15 foot from me We won 3-1 though.

I can't abide this 'have you been to OT' and 'do you hold a season ticket' etc mentality that demands certain criteria for you to be a fan. Yes there are lots and lots of soft supporters but regardless of how often you go / have been to OT many of us still find our saturdays, our weeks and generaly our lives dedicated to following the team whether that is through TV, radio or in my case Ceefax most of the time. I know what makes me happy and sad and MU are pretty much near the top of the scale.
Closed Thread