Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Closed Thread

Old 17-06-2003, 14:38   #321
joconnor
(,O'.')-O

Forlan is God excuse you, I wouldnt have minded if they spent 40 million on him, just for that match at Anfield alone.

Diego-oh-oh-oh Diego-oh-oh-oh
He came from Uruguay,
He made the scousers cry
Diego-oh-oh-oh
Old 17-06-2003, 14:46   #322
Guest 5512
Banned

Oh yeah, the tap in from a yard and the shot that went through Dudek's hands! Definitley worth the money just to see those!
Old 17-06-2003, 14:46   #323
Guest 3357
alba gu brath

I think Real will let Man Utd have a free run on Ronaldinho as long as they get Beckham.
Old 17-06-2003, 15:02   #324
Guest 5659

Ferguson's mentality has always been that neither the players nor the club is bigger than Sir Alex Ferguson himself, which is pretty much the way all great leaders think of themselves, lets not forget that without the success that he has brought to the club on the pitch, there would be no superstar David Beckham and co. nor a billion dollar Man United empire...

Those who disagree probably think that any club similar to United's relatively tiny size back in the late 80's and early 90's has the potential to get even anywhere near the strengh and size of clubs like Real Madrid, AC Milan, Barcelona, Juventus etc...

Like Aberdeen FC, Man United was pretty much a "nothing" club in the European stage before the arrival of Sir Alex Ferguson...

I'd back Sir AF even if he (without board interference) decided to sell RVN, because that will mean he has either found someone better or has found a way to improve the squad by selling RVN to fund the purchase of 1 or 2 new players that he thinks will improve his team, although highly unlikely as RVN is by far a better footballer than DB, for £30M+ or not...

Edit: Sorry but this is how all my sentences end...

Last edited by Way_2_FAT; 17-06-2003 at 15:04.
Old 17-06-2003, 15:15   #325
madstu
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally posted by nig5
IMO Beckham IS definitely a world class player, how anyone can dispute that is pathetic and shows their complete lack of quality judgment. Fergie paid £30m for Rio Ferdinand last year and to receive the same amount for Beckham is an absolute joke! Beckham is 100X the player that Ferdinand could ever hope to be. It amazes me how many people on here believe Ferguson to be an utter god (well he's probably not far off, to be honest!). The fact is that he is capable of making mistakes (Ferdinand for example, Forlan, Veron, Taibi etc). Although it's clear he doesn't like players who think themselves bigger than the club, he doesn't appear to apply this theory to himself.
thing is though, the transfer market is now depressed, players are worth half as much as they were 12 months ago - thats why £30m in the current climate is great business - it would still be the 5th biggest transfer of all time.
Old 17-06-2003, 15:50   #326
Guest 3357
alba gu brath

Quote:
Originally posted by madstu
thing is though, the transfer market is now depressed, players are worth half as much as they were 12 months ago - thats why £30m in the current climate is great business - it would still be the 5th biggest transfer of all time.
I honestly cant see them recieving 30 million.
Old 17-06-2003, 15:58   #327
MaxNutter

Quote:
Originally posted by nig5
The fact is that he is capable of making mistakes (Ferdinand for example, Forlan, Veron, Taibi etc). Although it's clear he doesn't like players who think themselves bigger than the club, he doesn't appear to apply this theory to himself.
the fact that he is capable of mistakes makes him human ... and show me a manager who hasn't made mistakes!

in these days of superstar players and wages, it must be hard enough motivating them, without the players feeling that they are a bigger than the club.

plus, the fact that SAF has been there longer than Beckham, and won a lot more makes me think that he is bigger than Beckhame, not the other way round.
Old 17-06-2003, 16:14   #328
Guest 1771
Member You're A Womble

from Sporting Life

Brazilian World Cup winner Ronaldinho has dropped a hint he could reject a move to Manchester United and join Spanish giants Real Madrid this summer.

The 23-year-old looks certain to leave French club Paris St Germain after the forthcoming Confederations Cup, with Real and United leading the chase.

Ronaldinho claims he would love to join either side, and insisted he would not be out of place at the Bernabeu.

He told Spanish newspaper Marca: "All I can say is that right now I am working hard to play for one of Europe's big clubs, and Spain would be very attractive for me.

"There are a lot of teams I like watching, but above all I like the teams where my friends play. I admire Ronaldo and Zidane and I enjoy watching them."
Old 17-06-2003, 16:19   #329
HenryKrinkle
Clean, like my conscience

Quote:
Originally posted by horseflesh
LOL, no he's not, don't make me laugh. He is by far the most overrated player in the world. He's being sold as a commodity, not a player.
...you're entitled to your opinion of course but how can the England captain NOT be world class? I didn't say he was the greatest player in the world, because he isn't...but he is certainly the best crosser we have had in years. As for him being overrated...what about Kluivert...and our very own Veron? If he goes to Barca he will do extremely well and may come back to haunt us, but if he goes to Real aka the 'who's who of football', I think the pressure may tell on him!

...I wonder how much ManU's merchandise profits will go down next season?
Old 17-06-2003, 16:33   #330
Pisces Iscariot
The Pumpkin Smasher

Quote:
Originally posted by HenryKrinkle
oh, and he's England's captain...
Quote:
he's captain of his country
Quote:
...you're entitled to your opinion of course but how can the England captain NOT be world class?
Quote:
...but I very much doubt that this is anything other than a personal dislike for the England captain!
Quote:
and has given his loyalty to this club and his country,
I think I'm beginning to see a pattern.
Old 17-06-2003, 17:00   #331
MaxNutter

Quote:
...I wonder how much ManU's merchandise profits will go down next season?
not a big United fan then?
Old 17-06-2003, 17:04   #332
Guest 5659

Quote:
I wonder how much ManU's merchandise profits will go down next season?
IIRC, accounts for around only 7% of the overall annual profit of the club.
Old 17-06-2003, 17:14   #333
HenryKrinkle

Quote:
Originally posted by MaxNutter
not a big United fan then?
...yes I am but I can't buy everything
Old 17-06-2003, 17:16   #334
HenryKrinkle

Quote:
Originally posted by Way_2_FAT
...I was just wondering how much they will lose in financial terms if Beckham goes...I think it goes without saying that the number 7 shirt with mr B's name on is the best seller worldwide.
Old 17-06-2003, 17:18   #335
HenryKrinkle

Quote:
Originally posted by Pisces Iscariot
I think I'm beginning to see a pattern.
...just pointing out how nonsensical it is to say he isn't world class!

...you cheeky monkey
Old 17-06-2003, 17:21   #336
Pisces Iscariot
The Pumpkin Smasher

Quote:
Originally posted by Way_2_FAT
Yup and United's merchandising base is solid enough in most countries that Beckham leaving will have absolutely no affect. The only area that will see a drop in revenues due to Beckham's sale is the Far East and that doesn't account for anywhere near as much as people seem to think.

I think the projected loss in profits as a result of his sale is 0.1% and that could easily remedied if United sign someone of Ronaldinho's stature (and the possible signing of Howard is potentially more significant as it could help open up the US market.)

Last edited by Pisces Iscariot; 17-06-2003 at 17:22.
Old 17-06-2003, 17:41   #337
Guest 12934
Trusted User

Quote:
...you're entitled to your opinion of course but how can the England captain NOT be world class? I didn't say he was the greatest player in the world, because he isn't...but he is certainly the best crosser we have had in years. As for him being overrated...what about Kluivert...and our very own Veron? If he goes to Barca he will do extremely well and may come back to haunt us, but if he goes to Real aka the 'who's who of football', I think the pressure may tell on him!
I don't see the logic of him being "England Captain" automatically making him world class. I'll admit he plays his heart out for England and covers every blade of grass on the pitch, but often he goes around like a headless chicken. Also he doesn't come across as being an especially good leader, or articulate (not that I've ever played on the same team as him, so strictly speaking I can't be sure of that!!).
He most certainly has excellent traits; crossing and free kicks, but is VERY limited in other areas. Can't tackle, head the ball, beat a player, no blistering pace, very one footed (although not as much as Giggs, LOL).
By the way, I am neither a United fan or English, so you're getting an objective outside view from me!!

Horseflesh
Old 17-06-2003, 17:42   #338
Guest 7802
I love my bitch

Been busy today, so have missed all the fun on here.

But quote of the day on the Beckham sale is this
Quote:
...I think it is because we can't see any proper reason for it.
And who is we And you say you have supported United for 30 years? BS! You and nig5 are jokers!

Last season Fergie pulled off arguably the greatest single feat of his career. You're an insult to me, him and anyone connected with Manchester United.
Old 17-06-2003, 18:00   #339
MaxNutter

Quote:
...yes I am but I can't buy everything
my mistake, but most United fans I know would never dream of using an ABU phrase like ManU ...
Old 17-06-2003, 18:32   #340
Listy
Hello meatball

What does ABU mean?
Closed Thread