Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14-06-2003, 15:39   #261
Listy
Hello meatball
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Middlesbrough
Posts: 2,796
Thanks: 194
Thanked 25 Times in 21 Posts
Quote:
You hear a lot about these swap deals, but not many of them seem to come off
Very true, but considering the state that the transfer market is in then I think alot of clubs might resort to this to save money.
Listy is offline  
Old 14-06-2003, 15:42   #262
Guest 7802
I love my bitch
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Cambs, England.
Posts: 4,563
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lorenzo
Agreed and I would have thought Veron would be up for set pieces if Becks leaves but if he goes too then ? Giggs curvers and Scholes blasters. No Irwin either now
It is almost a certainty now that Beckham will go. If this happens, I think Veron will be a major part of our team next year. Whether you love or hate Veron, you cannot deny that he was one of our best players in Europe last year (along with RVN and Keane.) I don't thnk he'll go to Juve. Davids is not the player he was, and given the fact he has 1 year on his contract, he would cost nothing in 6 months. Thuram would be a good buy though, especially if Wes is out for 6 months. I don't think Thuram would cost much, and sources have said he would love to play for United.

Freekicks wise there will be Veron,Giggs, Scholes and maybe Ronaldinho.

Last edited by nc; 14-06-2003 at 15:47.
Guest 7802 is offline  
Old 14-06-2003, 23:54   #263
Guest 29770
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Luton
Posts: 805
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Marcanrio: Beckham Very Close To Real Madrid
News Archive

Will the England skipper leave Manchester?

14/06/2003.

Real Madrid have joined the hunt for David Beckham offering a reported 10 million Euros plus Brazilian forward Ronaldo
A representative of the former European champions is reportedly in England to speak with Manchester United chairman Peter Kenyon. The England international is resigned to leaving Old Trafford and Real Madrid is his preferred choice. When Ronaldo was asked about the rumours of a possible move to Manchester he simply stated "Anything can happen in football". He then quickly changed the subject, choosing now to reminisce over the reception he recieved from the adoring Old Trafford fans after his display against them in the Champions League quarter-finals. "They were brilliant....Simply amazing!" said the skilful Brazilian.
Apparently that newspaper is a very respected Sports paper

Imagine Ronaldo and Ruud up front. It's a possibility, with the abuse and criticism Ronaldo has got from the Real fans/coach. And also we all know how much Fergie loves Ronaldo.

Can't see it but if it happened.......Wow.

Last edited by suicidedd; 15-06-2003 at 01:01.
Guest 29770 is offline  
Old 15-06-2003, 00:46   #264
Listy
Hello meatball
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Middlesbrough
Posts: 2,796
Thanks: 194
Thanked 25 Times in 21 Posts
Yep I remember Ronaldo saying that he was overwhelmed when the Man Utd supporters applauded him when he was substituted at O.T. (when he got his hat-trick) so him joining Utd is VERY possible considering how much stick the Real fans give him
Listy is offline  
Old 15-06-2003, 09:06   #265
Guest 7601
Trusted User
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: location, location
Posts: 1,082
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How much would you put on it that the deal was done back then? Becks found out and got miffed so AF kept him on the bench. Ronaldo gets a hat-trick in front of his new fans (although we don't yet know it). Becks comes on with something to prove and does so. Football is the winner

Ronaldo and Nike go together as well.

So how much money - Ł1.49

Would love it though. As nc said Ronaldo + RVN + Ronaldinho down the right maybe and Duff on the left = yum yum bubble gum

Guess Ronaldo + Ronaldhino doesn't add up though with the latter saying he wants to play up front (or did he say anywhere?)

Dreams ........
Guest 7601 is offline  
Old 15-06-2003, 09:30   #266
Guest 29770
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Luton
Posts: 805
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lorenzo
Would love it though. As nc said Ronaldo + RVN + Ronaldinho down the right maybe and Duff on the left = yum yum bubble gum

Guess Ronaldo + Ronaldhino doesn't add up though with the latter saying he wants to play up front (or did he say anywhere?)

Dreams ........
If it happened I'd maybe play the midfield/forwards like this

Code:
                     Keane


Scholes                                  Giggs


                   Ronaldinho

             Ruud              Ronaldo
Guest 29770 is offline  
Old 15-06-2003, 09:51   #267
Guest 7601
Trusted User
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: location, location
Posts: 1,082
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts


They would have to just give us the CL

I would swap Scholes and Ronaldhino over
Guest 7601 is offline  
Old 15-06-2003, 09:58   #268
Pisces Iscariot
The Pumpkin Smasher
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Manchester
Posts: 7,032
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Makaay would be a better signing than Ronaldo.
Pisces Iscariot is offline  
Old 15-06-2003, 09:59   #269
Guest 7601
Trusted User
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: location, location
Posts: 1,082
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You may be right but couldn't you see Fergie bringing the best out in Ronaldo?

How likely is it that Makaay would come to OT?
Guest 7601 is offline  
Old 15-06-2003, 10:15   #270
Guest 29770
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Luton
Posts: 805
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rate Makaay very highly as well but I think personally I'd prefer Ronaldo
Guest 29770 is offline  
Old 15-06-2003, 10:20   #271
Pisces Iscariot
The Pumpkin Smasher
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Manchester
Posts: 7,032
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lorenzo
How likely is it that Makaay would come to OT?
He's basically said that if United want him then they've got him and as he's not willing to sign a new contract at Depor then they'll want to cash in on him.

I don't see anything that Ronaldo can offer that Makaay can't except for a history of serious injuries and a questionable work ethic.
Pisces Iscariot is offline  
Old 15-06-2003, 10:27   #272
Guest 7802
I love my bitch
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Cambs, England.
Posts: 4,563
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by suicidedd
If it happened I'd maybe play the midfield/forwards like this

Code:
                     Keane


Scholes                                  Giggs


                   Ronaldinho

             Ruud              Ronaldo
Be realistic - the only midfield you have is an aging Roy Keane. The Ronaldo thing does sound very possible - I did think this after the OT game. But if Ronaldo comes, Ronaldhino won't - or vice versa. I cannot see both players at United next season.

Last edited by nc; 15-06-2003 at 10:28.
Guest 7802 is offline  
Old 15-06-2003, 10:37   #273
Guest 29770
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Luton
Posts: 805
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by nc
Be realistic - the only midfield you have is an aging Roy Keane.


A few teams in La Liga play that formation very succesfully. You just have to rely on Scholes/Giggs tracking back and also on the defense playing quite high up the field to give some support.

I think it's a pretty good formation, but then again I missed out on league last year to Arsenal in CM4.......It was the injuries!!!
Guest 29770 is offline  
Old 15-06-2003, 20:21   #274
HenryKrinkle
Clean, like my conscience
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Downtown
Posts: 4,213
Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I find it truly bizarre how many Utd fans on this thread seem to be quite happy that Beckham is being given the Andy Cole treatment! I think Beckham is one of the few players at Utd who pretty much consistently give 100% during the game...we will miss him enormously. Are you all quite happy that Fergie is ditching him seemingly because he doesn't approve of his lifestyle...if there is another reason, I haven't heard it! ManU can't seriously be saying it makes financial sense to get rid of one of the best crossers, free kick takers and goal providers in the game...we are the second richest club in the world. If he was a Real player and was put on the transfer list, we'd be in for him like a shot. This whole business stinks to me!!! It's always been Fergie's philosophy that no one player is bigger than the club, but it seems that does not extend to the manager. It's pretty damn sneaky and cowardly to wait 'til Becks is out of the country before bringing this out.

Bottom line...Becks has given everything to ManU, he's still at his very peak, his lifestyle has no effect on his playing and his name alone is worth millions in merchandise revenue to the club...oh, and he's England's captain... ...so someone please explain to me why this is a good thing? ...and why Fergie seems to have turned into an egotistical nazi!?!

As a ManU fan of almost 30 years I have to say I am very unhappy at these event and find it very shameful as to the treatment of one of ManU legends
HenryKrinkle is offline  
Old 15-06-2003, 21:12   #275
Guest 5512
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Doncaster, England
Posts: 734
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HenryKrinkle
I find it truly bizarre how many Utd fans on this thread seem to be quite happy that Beckham is being given the Andy Cole treatment! I think Beckham is one of the few players at Utd who pretty much consistently give 100% during the game...we will miss him enormously. Are you all quite happy that Fergie is ditching him seemingly because he doesn't approve of his lifestyle...if there is another reason, I haven't heard it! ManU can't seriously be saying it makes financial sense to get rid of one of the best crossers, free kick takers and goal providers in the game...we are the second richest club in the world. If he was a Real player and was put on the transfer list, we'd be in for him like a shot. This whole business stinks to me!!! It's always been Fergie's philosophy that no one player is bigger than the club, but it seems that does not extend to the manager. It's pretty damn sneaky and cowardly to wait 'til Becks is out of the country before bringing this out.

Bottom line...Becks has given everything to ManU, he's still at his very peak, his lifestyle has no effect on his playing and his name alone is worth millions in merchandise revenue to the club...oh, and he's England's captain... ...so someone please explain to me why this is a good thing? ...and why Fergie seems to have turned into an egotistical nazi!?!

As a ManU fan of almost 30 years I have to say I am very unhappy at these event and find it very shameful as to the treatment of one of ManU legends
Here here mate. I've never had a bad word to say about Ferguson but I think this decision stinks. AFAIK Beckham has never done anything to warrant this - on the contrary he has been loyal to the club and has always given 100%, despite what others may say. Beckham is the best in the world at many facets of the game (free-kicks, crosses etc) so how Utd can just discard him so casually is a bloody disgrace
In fact, I'd rather see Ferguson leave than Becks to be honest!
Guest 5512 is offline  
Old 15-06-2003, 22:14   #276
Guest 7802
I love my bitch
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Cambs, England.
Posts: 4,563
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Guest 7802 is offline  
Old 15-06-2003, 22:43   #277
madstu
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Anywhere
Posts: 3,767
Thanks: 32
Thanked 61 Times in 29 Posts
i don't want to see Beckham go

however i think we have to trust Fergie, for goodness sake look at what he has done for the club, anyway we rarely know the 'true' reasons why players are sold until afterwards. Bigger players that Beckham have left the club in the past.

However that Laporta won the election tonight, whilst Beckham said in the 'reliable' news of the world that he would rathr retire than play for another club and would play for free next year to prove how dedicated he is!

all still up in the air i think
madstu is offline  
Old 16-06-2003, 00:57   #278
Guest 29770
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Luton
Posts: 805
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it's fair enough to let him go if we get a good offer for him. I can't believe the way the media are portraying Fergie as a big bad man throwing Becks to the wolves.

If he was as loyal as everyone makes out then why did he reject renewed contract offers this season, and when he signed his last one how come it took nearly two months of negotiation and resulted in him only signing a 3 year deal?
Guest 29770 is offline  
Old 16-06-2003, 03:49   #279
Crikey!
Trusted User
 
Crikey!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Perth, WA
Posts: 1,721
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally posted by suicidedd
If he was as loyal as everyone makes out then why did he reject renewed contract offers this season, and when he signed his last one how come it took nearly two months of negotiation and resulted in him only signing a 3 year deal?

did the last one not take the best part of a year?

Anyway, he's obviously got someone (not himself) making some intelligent moves, he's got all the media on his side. I see he's even got georgie best sticking up for him in the sun today.
Crikey! is offline  
Old 16-06-2003, 09:35   #280
HenryKrinkle
Clean, like my conscience
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Downtown
Posts: 4,213
Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JonMills
I see he's even got georgie best sticking up for him in the sun today.
...well, there you go then Seriously, all this talk about contract negotiations is clouding the issue...who knows what sort of contract he was offered by Utd, he's entitled to get the best deal he can. It will be interesting to see what happens with Barca now after yesterday's elections, if he has to go...and it's seeming very likely now...then I think Barca could be a very good move, just think of the pressure he would be under at Real ...that's if he ever got a game!
HenryKrinkle is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

All times are GMT. The time now is 17:05.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018 Poisonous Monkey Ltd. Part of The Digital Fix Network