Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Books and Comics Discussion

Old 03-07-2012, 21:58   #461
drush9999
Trusted User

I'm just coming to the end of Storm of Swords, and not liking the talk of the pace slowing in Feast of Crows. I know most my favourite characters POVs don't appear till Dance with Dragons, so not expecting miracles. Hope to god you're all mistaken.
Had the same problem with the blimmin' Wheel of Time series after the fifth book...
drush9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:27   #462
goonerforever
Trusted User

Heard the same myself before reading Feast and had no problem with it at all. It's a change of pace to the action-packed SoS, but I still found it utterly engrossing.
goonerforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2013, 12:04   #463
KeyserSoze
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonerforever View Post
Heard the same myself before reading Feast and had no problem with it at all. It's a change of pace to the action-packed SoS, but I still found it utterly engrossing.
Good to hear. I just started Feast and then read some reviews on Amazon where most come across as negative. Won't lie and say they didn't affect me, I was slightly put off the book. However 4 chapters in I'm finding it quite engrossing and going to keep with it.
KeyserSoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2013, 12:27   #464
alsemail
Bibble....

I found it a bit slow, but I really wanted to get through it all the more to find out what was happening with the other characters in Dance with Dragons

IMO it's the weakest of the books and is a change of pace, it doesn't mean I didn't still enjoy it. It's probably more descriptive than the others (a touch of the Dan Brown) and feels a bit padded but don't let that put you off.
alsemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2013, 14:36   #465
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

Combine Feast and Dance together in a sensible order for a more complete reading experience:
http://boiledleather.com/post/245432...e-with-dragons
LeftHandedGuitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:39   #466
KeyserSoze
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftHandedGuitarist View Post
Combine Feast and Dance together in a sensible order for a more complete reading experience:
http://boiledleather.com/post/245432...e-with-dragons
Interesting, didn't know Dance runs in parallel. Have you tried this? I think it's aimed at people who have read both already.

I wonder what they'll do with the TV series.
Old 03-12-2013, 15:39   #467
James45
Trusted User

run both in parallel, there's no way they'd have the same split in the TV series.

Feast is crap for the first 100 pages or so, there's no way you can reasonably finish one book with so many monumental action set pieces still unexplained/unresolved and then disappear off to a setting the readership have never seen before to focus on a character that they've never heard of who seems to do very little.
James45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 19:52   #468
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze View Post
Interesting, didn't know Dance runs in parallel. Have you tried this? I think it's aimed at people who have read both already.

I wonder what they'll do with the TV series.
You never noticed? There are a couple of crossover chapters! Plus each referencing the other lots. There are 2 versions of the reading order presented on that site, one for people who've read them and one for newbies. I've not tried it but it will become my reading method for these books in the future (both of which I liked a lot on their own).
Old 03-12-2013, 22:49   #469
KeyserSoze
Trusted User

I'm still reading Feast!
Old 05-12-2013, 19:19   #470
Taq
Evil Scientist

They could easily condense books 4 and 5 into one season, especially as they are focusing on a small(ish) set of core characters. I'm not sure TV audiences have the patience for that much meandering either.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:55   #471
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

If you've kept up with the casting for season 4 of the show you'll have a good idea of how they are handling the upcoming books.

Old 31-01-2014, 14:15   #472
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

Latest rumours on release of The Winds of Winter is tasty but frustrating.

Roy Dotrice (who reads the audiobooks) stated in an interview that GRRM told him the book is nearly ready. Then we have a tweet from somebody who works for his publishing company saying that the book "certainly" wouldn't be out this year, and that tweet was then deleted.

Additionally, the upcoming World of Ice & Fire book has been pushed back to late 2014, and the suggestion is that it's to tie in with the possible release of TWOW. Rumours, rumours. At any rate, I'd be severely disappointed if the book didn't make an appearance this year, for staying ahead of the show if nothing else.
Old 31-01-2014, 15:35   #473
wilco121
there is no spoon

no hints or commentry or status or remarks on GRRM's not-a-blog site. in the run up to Dance being ready - progressed was often referenced under the guise of 'King Kong' - a massive monkey on his back. he is either going with radio silence on WoW or nowhere near ready. I suspect the latter. one would hope that he could recreate his progress like the first few books otherwise it could be 2018 before we get another one!

AGoT: 1996
ACoK: 1998
ASoS: 2000
AFfC: 2005
ADoD: 2011

like you say - it needs to keep ahead of HBO.

What would be ideal would be that all writers are as productive as Brandon Sanderson (and have a graph of progress on their website).
wilco121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2014, 15:42   #474
wilco121
there is no spoon

from wikipedia (and therefore the truth, the whole truth & nothing but the truth)

"Martin believes the two last volumes of the series will be big books of 1500+ manuscript pages each. By October 2012, 400 pages of the sixth novel had been written, although Martin considers only the first 200 as "really finished", the rest still needing revisions. Martin hopes to finish The Winds of Winter much faster than his troublesome fifth Ice and Fire novel. In the past, Martin has angered some of his fan base for repeatedly estimating his publication dates too optimistically; therefore, he has refrained from making hard estimates for The Winds of Winter's final release date. A realistic estimate for him for completing the sixth novel might be expected at three years, at a good writing pace, but ultimately the book "will be done when it's done". Martin has acknowledged his concerns about the final novel not being completed by the time the HBO series Game of Thrones finally catches up in its story line to the novels. He does not intend to separate characters by geography again, as he was forced to do because of the unpublishable length of A Feast for Crows' original manuscript. But, as Martin stated in a 2011 interview, "Three years from now when I'm sitting on 1,800 pages of manuscript with no end in sight, who the hell knows".

In January 2014, Martin’s UK publisher, Jane Johnson, declared on Twitter that the book would “certainly” not be published before 2015."
Old 31-01-2014, 16:42   #475
Matt_Bro14
Trusted User

I just get the bad feeling that the reality will be that at some point, the show will be referring to Martin's notes for the (at least final) books and suddenly ALL viewers of the show will be seeing new stuff, only to catch up on the book's versions of events after the fact.

We might get book six before the show catches up but surely not the final, and most important one, as well.
Matt_Bro14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:52   #476
Taq
Evil Scientist

Plus it can take ages for a book to hit the shelves even once it's actually finished. I don't think there's any way that the books will be done before the tv show catches up - can't see HBO wanting it to go for more than seven or eight seasons. Book4/5 will probably be done by the mid/end of season 6 I'd imagine
Old 04-03-2014, 13:31   #477
Jez
Ellis Retire!

Working through these with good old Roy’s audiobooks, he’s a bit too ‘Charles' for my liking but i think he does a good job of the different voices for the various characters and not stopping me enjoying them...

A quarter or so through A Storm of Swords
and i think its great.

Not really a fantasy type book fan and this is my first, my previous reads were working though all the Jack Reacher audio books so a little bit of a contrast!

Am i right in thinking after A Storm of Swords, A Feast of Crows is a bit crap? The one after that Dance With Dragons, is this better? so worth sticking with Feast...?
Old 04-03-2014, 13:36   #478
wilco121
there is no spoon

Feast is different... but not crap. it is slower paced in some areas and lacked a few of my favourite characters (notably Tyrion & Danaerys). it draws back from the core storylines and shows much wider views in a post-war land; how the war of the 5 kings has impacted different regions. You certainly can't skip Feast of Crows. but don't expect the same fast paced style throughout.

Dance is a bit different again - 1st half is more simlar to Feast, 2nd half picks up in my opinion.
Old 05-03-2014, 16:12   #479
Mike Mither
Trusted User

My biggest problem with AFFC is entire story threads that (seem to) go nowhere, for instance the interminably long saga involving Brienne. Everything slows down and I expect this book (and ADWD) are the character building, plot setting necessities before we get to the blistering climaxes spread over the last two volumes. Still, after finding the first three books to be nigh on unputdownable, these two definitely felt more like a chore at times, like trudging knee deep in exposition and character development.

Still, there's an argument for suggesting those who've stayed the course thus far should be up for two very long novels that flesh the world out and take some of the characters on unexpected and dangerous paths. Plus the arc that Cersei goes through is amazing.

I think I'd be more annoyed if I was one of those loyal readers who've been there from the start, waited years for the books and been handed these, rather than a Johnny Come Lately who got into it via the TV series and hasn't had so long to hang around for more.
Old 05-03-2014, 16:43   #480
zantarous
Xbox Live tag: wargame

Thing is some of the story lines just appear to be padded out for no reason. Is the stuff with Tyrion in the second half of ADWD really necessary it just seems like a case of short story long and it really made my interest wane.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
zantarous is offline   Reply With Quote