Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Closed Thread

Old 19-04-2012, 12:49   #81
Guest 10592
Come along, Pond.

Holy crap! I left the UK six years ago so haven't really kept up with punditry as such, but Gary Neville is superb in the role. Very fair to City in that YouTube clip posted earlier - just 100% into the game and the skill.
Old 19-04-2012, 12:49   #82
Grunge
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustybin View Post
All the wages mentioned (from 'offical' channels) will be basic, core wages. There will be a huge amount of add-on and additional payments.

so it's not in their interests to advertise the fact.
No employer will give out employee's salary info. The salaries appear to be far lower than the Tabloids would like you to think though.

Bonuses are not salary.

Last edited by Grunge; 19-04-2012 at 12:53.
Old 19-04-2012, 12:52   #83
rustybin
Xbox/PSN Tag: Rustybin69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunge View Post
No employer will give out employee's salary info.
So Tevez could, then, take home £300,000 a week?

Given that Utd, Barca, Arsenal etc all pay a decent living wage, it's reasonable to presume that in order to poach players from the leading European Clubs, City are having to pay a ludicrous amount of money on wages and signing on fees.

The first person to suggest they're coming to City to be part of any sort of footballing 'project' gets to stand in the corner facing the wall to think about what they've said.

Last edited by rustybin; 19-04-2012 at 12:55.
Old 19-04-2012, 13:03   #84
SteM
Just Member

Quote:
The salaries appear to be far lower than the Tabloids would like you to think though.
Or they could be far higher than City fans would like to accept.

As someone mentioned early it's next to impossible to make an accurate calculation based on player fines.
Old 19-04-2012, 13:09   #85
Grunge
Trusted User

Quote:
So Tevez could, then, take home £300,000 a week?

Given that Utd, Barca, Arsenal etc all pay a decent living wage, it's reasonable to presume that in order to poach players from the leading European Clubs, City are having to pay a ludicrous amount of money on wages and signing on fees.

The first person to suggest they're coming to City to be part of any sort of footballing 'project' gets to stand in the corner facing the wall to think about what they've said.
As stated, Tevez appears to be paid a salary of 198k. Bonueses and addons are exactly that.

Quote:
There is no doubt the 1st/2nd round of players came for the money. I think that effect is waning now.

IE I dont believe Aguero came for the money, and the all the youth players we are getting in certainly aren't in it for the cash.

I would think the days of Mega salary moves are numbered but who knows.
Old 19-04-2012, 13:13   #86
Grunge
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteM View Post
Or they could be far higher than City fans would like to accept.
Its nothing to do with accepting they get paid x amount, TBH Im not bothered how much they get paid as long as they show passion and dedication on the pitch and towards the team.

I was as surprised as the next person to see it being as low as its said to be.

Im assuming the people saying it know what they are talking about, they are certainly people I trust on the city forums and are not your average poster.

Last edited by Grunge; 19-04-2012 at 13:14.
Old 19-04-2012, 13:14   #87
rustybin

Quote:

There is no doubt the 1st/2nd round of players came for the money. I think that effect is waning now.
Given that Utd pay good wages and have been the most successful club in England for a generation yet still struggle to attract the world's best players, I'd say City will be over-paying for many, many years to come.

These days the elite want the weather in Spain, the life-style of London / Milan or Arab money in Manchester.
Old 19-04-2012, 13:20   #88
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Bonuses are not salary.
- Try telling the Inland Revenue that
Old 19-04-2012, 13:22   #89
Grunge
Trusted User

Quote:
I'd say City will be over-paying for many, many years to come.
That may well be the case, I just like to think otherwise. I would hope the salaries for the squad players will reduce even if we have to pay over the odds for any Marquee signings.

To be honest I personally want us to start to blood the youngsters and bring some of them in for any squad needs rather than buy in. We need to show that there is a path from the academy into the squad for those that are good enough. If we dont show that path the top youth players will start to go elsewhere.
Old 19-04-2012, 13:24   #90
rustybin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBrunt View Post
I think it's brilliant that a 13 year old accountancy enthusiast on Bluemoon is being re-quoted on here as some kind of evidence of what Tevez might earn.

Super stuff.
Old 19-04-2012, 13:25   #91
Grunge
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBrunt View Post
Eh? That doesn't even make sense. Of course bonuses are taxed, but they are not salary. If I get a bonus its counted as a bonus to the IR and I get more tax taken off of it.
Old 19-04-2012, 13:28   #92
Grunge
Trusted User

Quote:
I think it's brilliant that a 13 year old accountancy enthusiast on Bluemoon is being re-quoted on here as some kind of evidence of what Tevez might earn.

Super stuff.
I like the way everyone becomes "a 13 year old on a forum"! classic.

Anyways. Is it any worse than believing the sensationalist tabloids bloating figures to sell papers?
Old 19-04-2012, 13:38   #93
Guest 12934
Trusted User

It's come to the point where football fans are discussing a player's £200,000 weekly wage as "low".
We probably should all just give up now.
Old 19-04-2012, 13:42   #94
Grunge
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseflesh View Post
It's come to the point where football fans are discussing a player's £200,000 weekly wage as "low".
We probably should all just give up now.
Saying it's lower than the figures reported is not the same as saying its "low".
Old 20-04-2012, 06:24   #95
Rob
Indie Author

Quote:
My heart bleeds for all those poor Barca & Arsenal players who are existing on a "decent living wage", whilst all the City players are lording it up in their mansion on bankers hill.

I accept your point about City having to pay top whack to get the momentum going, but I have believed that all Preimer League players have been paid stupid wages for many years now. Once you get past 10/10/30K a week, it's all stupid levels of money to us mere mortals.

Last edited by Rob; 20-04-2012 at 06:29.
Old 20-04-2012, 07:45   #96
d2000s
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
I accept your point about City having to pay top whack to get the momentum going, but I have believed that all Preimer League players have been paid stupid wages for many years now. Once you get past 10/10/30K a week, it's all stupid levels of money to us mere mortals.
The wages should be decided by the market, your club have helped inflate that market to unsustainable levels for legitimate clubs who have to earn their money.

Last edited by d2000s; 20-04-2012 at 07:45.
Old 20-04-2012, 08:40   #97
Grunge
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2000s View Post
The wages should be decided by the market, your club and sensationalist media massively bloating figures to sell papers have helped inflate that market to unsustainable levels for legitimate clubs who have to earn their money.
Fixed that for you.
Old 20-04-2012, 08:52   #98
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Thanked 1,235 Times in 876 Posts
Quote:

IE I dont believe Aguero came for the money, and the all the youth players we are getting in certainly aren't in it for the cash.

I would think the days of Mega salary moves are numbered but who knows.
Its quite clear that the money is considerably more than anyone else is paying and it seems hard to believe that when they're perfectly happy at whatever club they're at, earning a decent wage. That they've chosen to join Manchester City for some sort of love other than money.

As for the youth players, they've hived these players up from all over. If you really think that children have abandoned their families, friends and countries for some sort of love of Manchester City, well I worry for you.

Why not just accept your the rich kid nobody much liked and enjoy the brief fun that this allows before even a billionaire realises you cannot dump money indefinitely into a black hole and hope to remain a billionaire
Old 20-04-2012, 09:01   #99
Grunge
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbullivant View Post
Its quite clear that the money is considerably more than anyone else is paying and it seems hard to believe that when they're perfectly happy at whatever club they're at, earning a decent wage. That they've chosen to join Manchester City for some sort of love other than money.
Where have I suggested that the salaries aren't more than others are paying?, all I did was point out it appears to be less than the media are reporting, players regularly state they never want to leave the clubs they are at ( David Silva for example ) but the club needs the money so they move team. there are plenty of reasons for players to move teams, the main one is potential for silverware. which they might not get where they are.

Quote:
As for the youth players, they've hived these players up from all over. If you really think that children have abandoned their families, friends and countries for some sort of love of Manchester City, well I worry for you.
As I pointed out the other day, our under 17 team has loads of locals in it. yes we're getting in 18/19 year old's at the moment that will hopefully be ready for a step up into the squad soon, did they come for the potential money levels or the potential for success? or both? who knows. either way its cheaper than buying in at a later date. As for coming for the love of the club, if we gain the success I hope we do, in 10/15 years they might well be coming for that.

If/When we are getting in younger players from abroad we are tending to bring over the entire family and help them with visa's/jobs etc etc,

Quote:
Why not just accept your the rich kid nobody much liked and enjoy the brief fun that this allows before even a billionaire realises you cannot dump money indefinitely into a black hole and hope to remain a billionaire
That's a discussion that's been redone about a dozen times that I really cant be arsed getting into.

Last edited by Grunge; 20-04-2012 at 09:14.
Old 20-04-2012, 12:19   #100
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Eh? That doesn't even make sense. Of course bonuses are taxed, but they are not salary. If I get a bonus its counted as a bonus to the IR and I get more tax taken off of it.
No, what doesn't make sense is you appearing to only consider salary as someone's basic wage. No wonder your figures are low.

So Tevez only gets a 'salary' (as you call it) of £x and gets £y in bonuses, right ? Who did you think pays him the £y ? And we're not talking about sponshorhip deals here (they aren't paid by the club usually)
Closed Thread