Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 21-03-2010, 19:55   #1281
Roberto
OMG! it's full of stars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivebyfive View Post
I don't think there will many changes apart from 1 important change, better written stories that don't rely on convenient plot device to save the day
That's all i wanted*, but the trailer seems even more than that, the more i see of this the more i'm looking forwarded to it.

*Well that and less running down corridors to techo music

Last edited by Roberto; 21-03-2010 at 19:56.
Old 21-03-2010, 22:58   #1282
cliff homewood
Trusted User

Jaime and Roberto were discussing time travel in Who so thought I'd help with my knowledge of the classic series. City of Death is a good un Jaimes, one of the best, hope you enjoy it. Other stories written by Adams are Pirate Planet and Shada (incomplete), all three are good in my book.
Old 22-03-2010, 10:05   #1283
new
Sand Dab

Steven Moffat interview from the Guardian:
Quote:
Steven Moffat: The man with a monster of a job
Interview: Steven Moffat on the challenges of running Doctor Who

If I'm not mistaken, Steven Moffat suddenly shudders. But the new Doctor Who showrunner, previously the creator of such creatures as the flesh-eating shadowy Vashta Nerada and the clockwork robots that terrorised Marie Antoinette, and the writer of Blink (frequently said to be the best Doctor Who episode ever), isn't chilled by the thought of malevolent monsters, unappealing aliens or sinister villains soon to appear in the Whoniverse. Rather, he winces at the prospect of a Conservative government – and specifically the influence that Rupert and James Murdoch may exert over it, its media policy and its attitude to the BBC.

"I hope the Tories don't win. Let's not beat around the bush," he says. "[But] I'd hope that anyone who becomes prime minister would look at the organisation and ask themselves if the world would really be better off without it." Moffat is not blind to the corporation's faults, but sees it as "an incredibly responsible and brilliant organisation" that is "never given credit for trying to hold itself to a higher standard, one that no newspaper or other broadcaster is".

As for the Murdochs, Moffat is mordant. "Are we really going to put James Murdoch in place of [the BBC]? Can you imagine how **** everything would be? Never mind the fine and glorious things that the BBC does, imagine how **** everything would be! Stuff would be ****! Let's not have really good restaurants, let's have Kentucky Fried Chicken!"

It is fighting talk, and perhaps predictable from a man who has been given the keys to one of the BBC's biggest shows. But the Paisley-born teacher's son, who was a teacher himself for three years, is in ebullient mood. The Eleventh Hour – the new series's first episode – approaches, and he's counting the days until we see Matt Smith's Doctor and his new companion, Karen Gillan as Amy Pond, embark on their debut adventure on 3 April.

Buckets of cash

When MediaGuardian interviewed Russell T Davies on the eve of the 2005 revival of Doctor Who, the question was: would anyone watch a rebooted version of what was deemed to be a ropey old drama? Few could have imagined the amazing monster that Davies's Doctor Who would become and its transformative effect on British TV – not just spawning Torchwood and The Sarah Jane Adventures, but making Saturday- night family drama an attractive proposition. While Davies's Who was by no means perfect, the show Moffat inherited is not ropey but revered. And besides winning awards and regularly pulling audiences in excess of 10 million, Doctor Who makes buckets of cash.

The precise worth of the brand is a closely guarded secret, but according to BBC Worldwide the drama has been sold to over 50 territories and has shifted more than 3.3m DVDs, more than 7m action figures and, in 2009 alone, around 300,000 books. And then there are the pencilcases and folders, Cyberman and Dalek masks and the deal, reputed to be worth Ł10m, to bring Doctor Who to Nintendo DS and Wii. Meanwhile, David Tennant's final outing as the Doctor secured BBC America's highest primetime rating and Doctor Who is BBC Worldwide's top-selling download on iTunes in the US.

In short, it's a behemoth of a brand. The burden Moffat bears, therefore, is quite different from that shouldered by Davies in 2005, and it's something of which he's very conscious."To me, a 'brand' sounds evil," he says, "reminiscent of men in tall hats running factories and beating small children, but you have to be across it. All those things should be joyous – those toys should be terrific – because the active creative engagement of children with Doctor Who is unlike any other show that they watch. When Doctor Who is over, they get up, invent their own monster, their own planet, their own Doctor and play. I know because my son recently designed a new Tardis control room. If anyone said to me 'invent a new monster so we can sell more toys', I'd kick them out of my office."

Moffat says he doesn't have an agenda for how his Doctor Who will differ from Davies's but "these things happen as a matter of instinct" and his instinct led him towards a more "storybook quality". "For me, Doctor Who literally is a fairy tale. It's not really science fiction. It's not set in space, it's set under your bed. It's at its best when it's related to you, no matter what planet it's set on.

"Every time it cleaves towards that, it's very strong. Although it is watched by far more adults than children, there's something fundamental in its DNA that makes it a children's programme and it makes children of everyone who watches it. If you're still a grown up by the end of that opening music, you've not been paying attention."

Not paying attention is not something you could accuse Moffat of. He is immersed in the Doctor's details and has the show "in his bones", but acknowledges there's "a huge, huge, monumental difference" between being part of the writing team – producing episodes that tap brilliantly into such childhood anxieties as fear of the dark or of what happens in the world when you blink – and running the whole shebang. The size of the job made him think twice, as did the amount of time that he would have to spend in Cardiff; the London-based writer has two young sons with the TV producer Sue Vertue. In the end, though, after his dad sent a childhood photo of him reading a Doctor Who book, there could only be one decision.

"You don't think of it in terms of a challenge. You think 'Ooh, wouldn't it be great to do that!' and I'm now in the fortunate position of being able to think that and make it happen."

Making it happen means going boldly, and with a "Geronimo!" that appears to be a catchphrase of the new Doctor. Moffat is reluctant to plunder Who's history without good reason – "The more you back-reference, the more it feels like a sequel and the sequel is never as good as the original" – but that isn't to say that the past is another galaxy. "Old favourites can return, provided you can do something new and exciting with them. There are no past characters coming back in this series, but I imagine that kids would love to see Captain Jack meet the new Doctor."

Although he's been able to fund a rearrangement of the theme tune, new titles and a new Tardis interior, Doctor Who is "subject to efficiency savings like everyone else. [But] no one is going to say that it looks cheaper because it doesn't." And despite the fact that "all we writers really want to do is write a script, toss it over a wall and go out with strippers", Moffat is in charge, in his element. He may be known for the clever, darker episodes of Doctor Who but he has mischief in mind now. "I want to do more fun. I hadn't done an episode one, which is a very different kind of episode, and I hadn't done a finale either – and that was a hoot."

And what happens in that? "Practically everything," Moffat smirks. "And some of it twice."

Curriculum vitae

Age 48

Education Camphill high school, Paisley; MA, English, University of Glasgow

Career 1980s teacher, Cowdenknowes High school, Greenock 1989 created and wrote Press Gang, ITV 1991 Joking Apart, BBC2 1997 writer, Chalk, BBC1 2000 Coupling, BBC2 2005-2010 writer, some Doctor Who episodes 2007 writer, Jekyll 2010 head writer, executive producer, Doctor Who; writer, pilot for Sherlock, BBC1
Old 22-03-2010, 13:29   #1284
Ricinus
Trusted User

I'd read that and I don't like the last line at all.
Old 22-03-2010, 14:50   #1285
Guest 10592
Come along, Pond.

I suspect he's deliberately on the wind-up there

Shame about the political scaremongering

Last edited by Grandmaster; 22-03-2010 at 14:50.
Old 22-03-2010, 21:51   #1286
cliff homewood
Trusted User

I didn't like the frequently said to be the best episode about blink, for me that'd be An Unearthly Child still, though Blink is definitely up there.
Old 22-03-2010, 22:23   #1287
Spooky_uk
XBL/PSN : SPOOKYVILLE

New trailer, can make things out a little better on this one including the spitfires!

Last edited by Spooky_uk; 22-03-2010 at 22:23.
Old 22-03-2010, 22:30   #1288
Reverend Scapegoat
Trusted User

Check the Dalek's "dog tag"
Old 22-03-2010, 23:01   #1289
thescrounger
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff homewood View Post
I didn't like the frequently said to be the best episode about blink, for me that'd be An Unearthly Child still, though Blink is definitely up there.

Blink is definitely up there for new series episodes, but it would be lucky to make the top ten if one were including classic episodes of Who. Offically Androzani is the number one favourite of all time.

Last edited by thescrounger; 22-03-2010 at 23:02.
Old 23-03-2010, 06:12   #1290
Guest 10592
Come along, Pond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky_uk View Post
New trailer, can make things out a little better on this one including the spitfires!
Still can barely hear as word he's saying
Old 23-03-2010, 11:44   #1291
thescrounger
Trusted User

"The univeresh ish compslicated, and shomtimes miricles shappen".
Old 23-03-2010, 12:43   #1292
new
Sand Dab

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescrounger View Post
"The univeresh ish compslicated, and shomtimes miricles shappen".
Isn't that Sean Connery's 'Russian" accent

Have to say with what I have heard so far I have nothing against his voice and comes across as a lot clearly than when Tennant would slip into his excited, shoutey fast talking one.
Old 23-03-2010, 12:49   #1293
Spooky_uk
XBL/PSN : SPOOKYVILLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandmaster View Post
Still can barely hear as word he's saying
visually I meant.
Old 23-03-2010, 12:58   #1294
Sneeka
pull my finger..

That spitfire bit looks pretty good. I fear they may overuse the weeping angels though.
Old 23-03-2010, 13:35   #1295
Summerisle
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Scapegoat View Post
Check the Dalek's "dog tag"
Looking at that and noticed the little blackout covers over it's dome lights!
Old 23-03-2010, 13:49   #1296
Reverend Scapegoat
Trusted User

Loved the paintjob, too.
Old 24-03-2010, 17:14   #1297
Guest 10592
Come along, Pond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by new View Post
Have to say with what I have heard so far I have nothing against his voice and comes across as a lot clearly than when Tennant would slip into his excited, shoutey fast talking one.
I have no issue with Smith's elocution. The audio mix is simply terrible if you can't hear what the bloke's saying!
Old 25-03-2010, 09:32   #1298
new
Sand Dab

Eleventh Hour confirmed to be shown at Saturday 3 April 6.20-7.25pm on BBC1 and BBC HD

Doctor Who Confidential 7:25pm - 8:10pm BBC3 (I expect it will also be on BBCHD at some point, but not at this time)
Call Me the Doctor
Quote:
Behind-the-scenes look at the making of Doctor Who, capturing all the backstage treats from Matt Smith's first action-packed episode and giving a real 'getting to know you' taster of life as The Doctor. There's a Cribs-style tour of the TARDIS with Matt and production designer Edward Thomas, a glimpse of the episode 1 read-through and an insight into life on set as the nation's favourite Time Lord. Narrated by Alex Price and featuring interviews with Matt Smith, Karen Gillan, Steven Moffat.

Last edited by new; 25-03-2010 at 09:39.
Old 25-03-2010, 10:37   #1299
Roberto
OMG! it's full of stars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandmaster View Post
I have no issue with Smith's elocution. The audio mix is simply terrible if you can't hear what the bloke's saying!
Which doesn't bode well then, as i'd hoped they fired the last audio guy for EXTREME music drowning out everything else
Old 25-03-2010, 11:19   #1300
new
Sand Dab

A clip from episode one has been posted on the Doctor Who site:
HERE

1st minute preview will be posted there on Saturday and via the red button on BBC1
Closed Thread