Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Photography and Video

Old 16-02-2020, 14:53   #1
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Can anyone recommend a good Windows photo manager app that has facial recognition?

I find Lightroom isn't very good for organising (I guess it's not meant to be) and I'm looking for something that will just let us easily manage all our photos and search easily across them.

Something that doesn't need to move a copy of the files to its own database, that can monitor folders for new and changed files, supports raw and heic as well as jpeg and lets us create virtual albums, tagging, rating, etc. I want something with facial recognition as well as that makes it much easier to find people when we're looking for a specific person.

It's only for home use, but we have over 50k of photos and I feel like we need a bit more control over them!

I've tried a Mylio (not free for bigger collections and didn't really get on with it), Movavi (unstable, couldn't even trial it properly as it just hanging). ust trialling Magix Photo Manager but that seems really clunky and feels like an application from ten years ago!

I don't really need it to do editing so much as I still use Lightroom for post processing, etc. Also not bothered about cloud storage as they usually only give you a small amount and IMO you either need none or enough for your whole collection.

Any recommendations? I don't mind paying if it's going ot do what I want.

Thanks
Old 17-02-2020, 07:34   #2
driver8
eviscerate your memory

Thanked 2,238 Times in 950 Posts
I find Lightroom isn't very good for organising (I guess it's not meant to be) and I'm looking for something that will just let us easily manage all our photos and search easily across them.
No, it most definitely is designed for organising! It can already search easily for parts of filenames/folder names, dates, exif data, etc. Then you can easily add keywords, ratings, etc, but of course it's quite a manual process as any software would be. See here and here to speed things up.

Something that doesn't need to move a copy of the files to its own database
LR doesn't have to move anything, or create copies - mine doesn't do either of these things. I either import directly from the camera, into MY PHOTOS sorted into date folders, or I drag an existing folder into the LR import dialogue (and it doesn't import dupes). After processing, I then rename the date folder into something more recognisable (Wales) and then drag it (in LR) to my permanent folder structure (under Holidays).

create virtual albums, tagging, rating, facial recognition
Again, LR does all of this (see part1 and part2 and facial recog).

that can monitor folders for new and changed files
Don't think LR can do this in a satisfactory way, but I've never missed it. What specific scenario would this help with, I'm not sure ?

However, Picasa is great at monitoring folders, and has excellent facial recognition, plus keywords, etc. Very fast, low resource. I still use it, and like it a lot. Bit slow with RAW though (and I don't know what HEIC is).

So my answer is: use LR (plus Picasa) ? And I'm definitely not a LR fanboi - it's regularly an absolute pita.
driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2020, 08:01   #3
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Do you mean lightroom classic or cc? When I try to import my folders into cc it tells me there isn't enough space on the hard drive and I need another 170gb to do it, so it is trying to create another copy of them all as they're about 350gb in total.
Old 17-02-2020, 08:06   #4
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver8 View Post
[I].

that can monitor folders for new and changed files

Don't think LR can do this in a satisfactory way, but I've never missed it. What specific scenario would this help with, I'm not sure ?

Because of the way I organise our photos. Photos taken on my phone get automatically backed up to Dropbox on my laptop and I then move them to my photos folder, then same for wife's iPhone (which uses apple's heic format instead of jpeg).
Old 17-02-2020, 11:07   #5
driver8
eviscerate your memory

Thanked 2,238 Times in 950 Posts
Yep, LR-Classic all the way for me. If you want to use LR-CC, maybe google for some tuts, as I'm sure lots of people have encountered this. Adobe of course want to sell you cloud storage.

OK, I understand what you mean now, regarding mobiles. Why not simply use the native apps/tools ? Google offer unlimited free photo storage (even for IOS), with face recognition and AI auto-tagging. Then you can share album/s as you wish. And when your phone gets full, you can even let Google handle the cleanup by deleting all photos that are safely sync'd to the cloud (unsure if this feature is on IOS though, see here).

Also, I'd strongly recommend a photo cull, backing all up to external HDD/cloud then deleting locally. Be brutal - get rid of all 'almost-duplicates' and all the photos you wouldn't print off for the wall. For people photos, if the subject wouldn't like the photo themselves (eg: eyes half-closed, wonky mouth) I delete (unless it's a rare shot of Gran, or a single photo of a specific memory/event).

Last edited by driver8; 17-02-2020 at 11:12. Reason: added link
driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2020, 20:24   #6
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Ah, great, thanks for clarifying. I had cancelled my Lightroom CC 1TB a few weeks ago and was given an extra three months to stay. It wouldn't let me change to the Photography 20GB plan online but I did an online chat and got them to change it over and still give me the three months free. I then did another chat an hour later to get the three months free that had been agreed but not added......!

Just adding in some folders now and letting it process, I'll have a look at the face recognition and see how I get on with it.

I guess the only issue I need to be wary of is that when I add photos from our Dropbox camera uploads into existing folders it won't pick them up automatically so I'll have to add them in.
Old 18-02-2020, 14:53   #7
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Just going through adding our photos, doing them kind of folder by folder so I can add holidays and events to their own collections so save me having to do that later on.

I've noticed that my Lightroom catalogue folder is already at over 70GB (Lightroom Catalog Previews.lrdata and Lightroom Catalog Smart Previews.lrdata folders). Any ideas why that would be? I originally had previews set but now I've changed that to minimal but it's still growing.
Old 18-02-2020, 18:55   #8
Fatbloke
PSN : Fatbloke-66

I'm in the same boat as you StevieG. I've been using Lightroom but I still think of the simplicity of Picasa and long for an updated version (make it open source!!).

Thing that gets me is that Lightroom is a disk hog and, for me, I'm paying £9 a month on some subscription from Adobe and for the number of times I'll need to use it (4 or 5 times a year) it's a really expensive way of organising photos. If I could just buy LR and be done with it, I would
Fatbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2020, 19:33   #9
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Yeah, Picassa was so good for general users; very quick, easy to use, couldn't really ask for much more, so frustrating Google binned it.

Is there no Lightroom standalone (ie one off) version anymore? Or was 6 the last? Easy money I guess for Adobe, lots of people sign up and just keep paying, and probably a lot harder to crack and use without paying in this format.
Old 21-02-2020, 18:46   #10
wolfkiller
The naturalist chef

Corel Aftershot Pro? Comparison here (Affiliated Link)
wolfkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 19:50   #11
farmroad38
Ho hum...

I'm still using Picasa for local storage and editing. The only things I no longer have are the automatic upload of albums and synchronisation of contact pictures.

I just create albums in Picasa, then export the pictures to upload manually.

I also back up the originals to Amazon prime photos and OneDrive.
farmroad38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 21:54   #12
Fatbloke
PSN : Fatbloke-66

Having a search for Lightroom 6 (no longer sold it seems) took me to here: https://shotkit.com/best-alternative-to-lightroom/ which includes a few new names. I've not tried any of these before. Anyone else have?
Fatbloke is offline   Reply With Quote