Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Old 10-01-2020, 16:10   #141
Wooglie
Rurouni

Someone told me that Jaskier is Polish for dandelion, but it's actually buttercup, presimably the devs didn't like either so settled on dandelion.
Wooglie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 16:19   #142
mikef
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxNutter View Post

It's "Hmm" actually
cheers....it reminds me of a Spaghetti Western character for some reason....I'll persevere :-)

ta
mikef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 16:24   #143
MaxNutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikef View Post
cheers....it reminds me of a Spaghetti Western character for some reason....I'll persevere :-)

ta
I only know that because I watched the first couple of episodes with the subs on!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Old 11-01-2020, 01:19   #144
Shingster
Trusted User

Dandelion is not just a "game" thing, they used it in the official English translation of the books (which apparently are not good translations, buy hey-ho) as well. We discussed the whole Jaskier/Dandelion thing earlier in the thread, so here's a quote of my original post talking about the difference and why Dandelion came about:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingster View Post
Yeah they couldn't use the literal "Buttercup" because that's really a term of affection in English, so they decided to switch plants rather than just go with the bleedin' original name of Jaskier, it really makes no sense.

You can't translate names or proper nouns the way you do ordinary words because the cultural meaning is often completely different. From what I gather the word Jaskier in Polish culture isn't used as a typical name, but it's not as widely understood as Dandelion is in English, so it fits better as a name. Obviously to an english viewer though the name of Jaskier just fits in with the other kinda polish sounding names of the witcher world, you're not sitting there thinking "why the bloody hell did he choose to be known as Dandelion?".
For years Western fans of the game had to rely on fan translations to access the original novels, which were more literal and kept the original Polish form of Jaskier for the character (hence the reason why some view Dandelion as a game-only thing). I guess when the books were officially released over here they felt it best to stick with the CD Projekt translation of Dandelion.

Last edited by Shingster; 11-01-2020 at 01:22.
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 13:22   #145
James45
Trusted User

Really enjoyed that and it built to a suitably epic season finale. Cavill's completely literal, uncanny impersonation of Geralt from the games is fascinating. It should be absurd but he manages to portray all that bottled up emotion incredibly well, I didn't think he had it in him tbh.
James45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2020, 15:02   #146
James45
Trusted User

Probably worth a thread of its own, but Netflix has released some of its figures for the first time and The Witcher was seen by 76 million households in its first month of release. Quite how Netflix defines 'seen' is another matter, might mean they watched a five minutes of a single episode or it might mean they watched the season from beginning to end, only they know.
James45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2020, 19:07   #147
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Netflix revealed that the project - specifically described as an "anime" film - will be titled The Witcher: Nightmare of the Wolf, and will see a currently undisclosed "new threat facing the Continent".
Old 23-01-2020, 14:41   #148
Fatbloke
PSN : Fatbloke-66

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivebyfive View Post
Netflix revealed that the project - specifically described as an "anime" film - will be titled The Witcher: Nightmare of the Wolf, and will see a currently undisclosed "new threat facing the Continent".
ooh, sounds interesting
Fatbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2020, 01:06   #149
Shingster
Trusted User

I really despise how Netflix are appropriating the term "anime" to market their own animations to specific demographics. If it's not fundamentally Japanese it's not anime. Period.
Old 24-01-2020, 10:27   #150
Wooglie
Rurouni

The full soundtrack can be purchased now:
Amazon
Google
Wooglie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2020, 10:32   #151
JimDriver2
Trusted User

Seems to be in Spotify as well
JimDriver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 17:44   #152
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatbloke View Post
ooh, sounds interesting
its is about Vesemir apparently
Old 30-01-2020, 19:54   #153
Shingster
Trusted User

Crikey, is Vesemir in Season one? They really are introducing everyone early in this show!
Old 01-02-2020, 09:19   #154
ourmatetone
PSN/XBL/Steam: tone217

Quote:
Crikey, is Vesemir in Season one? They really are introducing everyone early in this show!

You hear him in a flashback, but I assume it’ll be a different actor when he actually appears.
ourmatetone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 20:23   #155
Shingster
Trusted User

Ah, ok. He should turn up in season 2 then, so I assume this new film will come out some time after season two lands.
Old 10-02-2020, 22:08   #156
Shingster
Trusted User

Finally started on this, just one episode in and the signs aren't great. This is a really heavily dumbed down adaptation which is more concerned with appealing to videogamers than treating the material with the respect it deserves. A real shame.

It's kinda ironic that they completely butchered the "Butcher of Blaviken" plotline as well! Can someone explain to me how that story ended up the way it did? Like, what the fudge was geralt's reason for

Other moments having me scratch my head to figure out what the writers were smoking when they bashed out this crap:

- How old is Calanthe? I mean, she's a queen with a teenage granddaughter and yet so essential to the military might of Cintra that she still has to take part - and naturally kick all kinds of woke ass - in battle?

- Who are all those people living in the castle, and why is
supposed to mean anything to the viewer? They present this moment like the most dramatic thing in TV ever, but they're just human wallpaper.

- Why is everyone gibbering on about destiny every five seconds? Is everyone in the Witcher world a prophet?

Last edited by Shingster; 10-02-2020 at 22:13.
Old 10-02-2020, 23:18   #157
MaxNutter

Quote:
Finally started on this, just one episode in and the signs aren't great. This is a really heavily dumbed down adaptation which is more concerned with appealing to videogamers than treating the material with the respect it deserves. A real shame.

It's kinda ironic that they completely butchered the "Butcher of Blaviken" plotline as well! Can someone explain to me how that story ended up the way it did? Like, what the fudge was geralt's reason for

Other moments having me scratch my head to figure out what the writers were smoking when they bashed out this crap:

- How old is Calanthe? I mean, she's a queen with a teenage granddaughter and yet so essential to the military might of Cintra that she still has to take part - and naturally kick all kinds of woke ass - in battle?

- Who are all those people living in the castle, and why is
supposed to mean anything to the viewer? They present this moment like the most dramatic thing in TV ever, but they're just human wallpaper.

- Why is everyone gibbering on about destiny every five seconds? Is everyone in the Witcher world a prophet?
I admit the first episode is confusing, but much will become clearer as you watch more.

I haven't read the source novels, nor played the games, but I enjoyed it.

Old 11-02-2020, 00:07   #158
Shingster
Trusted User

I've read the source novels, played all the games, seen the original Polish TV show. The only stuff that's about to "become clearer" for me is all the backstory for Yennefer that they've conjured up for the show, and I suppose they are gonna flesh out these anonymous people in the castle then? Either way, my complaint isn't that there are anonymous characters living in the castle, it's that they are presented like important parts whose deaths are some great tragedy. We're less than one hour into the show, no character means that much to us yet, so it comes across as very forced. The decision to present the story in a non-linear fashion comes with this problem baked in.

Last edited by Shingster; 11-02-2020 at 03:18.
Old 11-02-2020, 08:29   #159
MaxNutter

It does, but it's rewarding later on, imo

Old 12-02-2020, 03:09   #160
Shingster
Trusted User

My problem is that they completely rewrote how the Blaviken incident takes place & made a complete mess of it for the sole reason (at least I can't think of any other reason to do this) of making sure the character of Renfri does not come across like a villain, but only a victim. This is the one problem I have with this new "woke" "girl power" era, it's not that female roles are being hyped up to all heaven, that's fine, it's that you can't write flawed female parts any more, and heaven forbid we actually have a female villain. In the books Renfri is a victim who makes a terrible, evil choice in the pursuit of revenge that forces Geralt's hand, in the show she's just a victim who wants to kill a psychotic wizard and would rather commit suicide by Witcher than stop. It makes no sense, and it makes Geralt look like a total chump for choosing Stregobor over a woman who he actually feels for, because... well why does he do that? Because it's the "just" decision? Is this The Witcher or is it Witcher, Texas Ranger?

And to top it off, the staging was appalling, Geralt kills a handful of bandits in a back alley with no witnesses, and somehow this is enough for him to become infamous as "The Butcher of Blaviken"? I mean, if this world is so violent and nihilistic, would something like that really make a dent in the social conscious?

Also, why do commonfolk in this world immediately recognise a Witcher when he walks into a pub? Geralt reveals in that episode that there aren't many witchers left anymore. Are the few that do still operate do so on a primetime reality TV show or something? What about this "Ciri will save the world" nonsense as well? Why's that known by everyone in the castle?

As an opening episode it was just abysmal, just an endless parade of hoary old clichés designed to "hook" viewers. Game of Thrones didn't do any of this when it started, sure they changed stuff from the books, but at least it maintained a sense of authenticty and logic and didn't blow its load on prophecies about saviours of the world on the first episode. It was more subtle than that.

Another thing I can't get my head around when watching this episode: Why does Freya Allen have these really fake looking blue contact lenses on? She's got blue eyes already and Ciri in the books/games has green eyes not blue. Every close up gave me flashbacks to Haunting of Hill House!

Last edited by Shingster; 12-02-2020 at 05:49.