Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gaming Forums > Board Games Forum

Old 11-01-2020, 07:23   #441
Torf
PSN : Torf

I’d say it’s great for non gamers as you can get them doing something immediately.

Explain the setup / what you’re doing - but then get straight into brewing potions. Do a round and then swipe everything back into the bags whenever everyone explodes. Start the game properly from round 1 then.

Introduce the VPs / money / buying stuff and then take them through the spells they can buy when the time comes.

Goes without saying but play with all the level 1 spells and the easier cauldron side.

You could also load a ‘straightforward’ card to the top of the deck to ensure you don’t need to explain anything else at the start.

I usually do the first game without any pressure but by the third round everyone ‘gets’ it and wants to play competitively anyway.

Enjoy!
Torf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2020, 13:57   #442
cliff homewood
Trusted User

Also played Quacks last week, second time playing it, its mostly blind luck but for some reason its good fun!

Played Gloomhaven again the weekend, anyone else playing here? Want to geek out about that sometimes. We've played about 6 games, are at level 3, two of us, I'm the mindtheif and my friends playing the Cragheart.
cliff homewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2020, 14:00   #443
queeg500
Chump

I LOVE Gloomhaven. At 38 plays now and enjoying it more than ever. I'm playing a two player campaign and we started off with a Mindthief and a Cragheart too – good combination! We are now each on our third characters, and about a third of the way through the scenarios in the base game.
queeg500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2020, 14:07   #444
vaderag
Gamertag: VaderAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torf View Post
I’d say it’s great for non gamers as you can get them doing something immediately.

Explain the setup / what you’re doing - but then get straight into brewing potions. Do a round and then swipe everything back into the bags whenever everyone explodes. Start the game properly from round 1 then.

Introduce the VPs / money / buying stuff and then take them through the spells they can buy when the time comes.

Goes without saying but play with all the level 1 spells and the easier cauldron side.

You could also load a ‘straightforward’ card to the top of the deck to ensure you don’t need to explain anything else at the start.

I usually do the first game without any pressure but by the third round everyone ‘gets’ it and wants to play competitively anyway.

Enjoy!
Went down well! Thanks!!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Old 13-01-2020, 15:59   #445
Torf

Super stuff
Old 13-01-2020, 16:29   #446
vaderag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torf View Post
Super stuff
I will say that it appeared imposing to them at first but they soon got over it!!

Sent from my F1 using Tapatalk
Old 13-01-2020, 17:53   #447
Torf

Yep - it looks like there’s a lot going on but given you can get them going with the main mechanic straight away it solves the explanation paralysis problem that so many games seem to have.
Old 13-01-2020, 23:10   #448
Bish

Quacks is a superb game, sadly our copy from Chaos Cards was missing the pack of 24 fortune cards. Luckily I printed them out thanks to a file on the BGG site but I'm still waiting for a response from Chaos Cards. I agree luck is a huge part of the game but deciding what potions to buy is an important strategy.

Along with Quacks we got a copy of Azul Summer Pavilions which might be the best of the Azul games so far. It has the same drafting procedure but gives you a lot more to think about when placing tiles.

The only other game we purchased this year was Ghost Fightin' Treasure Hunters which we picked up for £12 from Amazon (I think it may have gone up a little since). It's marketed as a child's/family game and plays like a more simplistic version of Pandemic substituting viruses for Ghosts. It's ideal for us to play with the grandchildren but still gives a good challenge when using the advance rules. In fact we have only beaten it once out of several plays so far.
Old 14-01-2020, 12:08   #449
son of thunder
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bish View Post
Quacks is a superb game, sadly our copy from Chaos Cards was missing the pack of 24 fortune cards. Luckily I printed them out thanks to a file on the BGG site but I'm still waiting for a response from Chaos Cards. I agree luck is a huge part of the game but deciding what potions to buy is an important strategy.
Try contacting North Star games directly, as I always find publishers to be very helpful and quick to send out replacements.
Old 14-01-2020, 13:31   #450
cliff homewood
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by queeg500 View Post
I LOVE Gloomhaven. At 38 plays now and enjoying it more than ever. I'm playing a two player campaign and we started off with a Mindthief and a Cragheart too – good combination! We are now each on our third characters, and about a third of the way through the scenarios in the base game.
When I googled it it seems its thought of as a weak combination. The mindthief it seems needs a strong melee fighter to be able to hide behind whereas the cragheart is more suited to range attacks.

I picked the mindthief as the power to control people and animals (well rats!) sounded cool, was surprised when I started playing to find out he is generally thought of as a melee fighter even though a good hit will kill him (X2 but got a helmet to stop that now). Also read that the rats are generally thought of as not very good. We find them useful. Its knowing how to play them. Waiting until you are stuck in a situation (normally in the last room) where your surrounded and cant see a way out. Stick down the rats and let them be attacked instead. Excellent! And buys you the needed time.

Also the mind control card is thought weak but I play games cos I like the theme, and that is such a fun idea, getting one bad guy to attack another, I love it!

Luckily my cragheart companion (who just picked his character randomly, I watched ISaac Childes videos on youtube) is the type to go up and bash things. But there are occasions where he is sitting back and using his range attacks and I'm having to go in as my cards are melee and risk taking a bashing. Luckily I've got invisible up my sleeve, but normally save that for a long rest. I like long resting, get much need health back and I dont like the idea of losing control of what cards I lose. My companion like most people it seems prefers a short rest.
Old 14-01-2020, 13:40   #451
queeg500
Chump

Sounds good! And I think you will find as you both level up that it is not a weak combination at all. Maybe it starts off that way.

I found I didn't use summons very often as the Mindthief as I didn't have the patience to figure out how to use them effectively and instead looked to improve my melee abilities.

Each new character class you play, as well as each new combination (especially with just two players I expect), can feel quite different and require you to adapt your play style, which I like.
Old 15-01-2020, 21:35   #452
Bish

Quote:
Originally Posted by son of thunder View Post
Try contacting North Star games directly, as I always find publishers to be very helpful and quick to send out replacements.
My copy was by Schmidt Spiele but I received a set of cards today from Chaos Cards so it saved me the hassle of dealing with them.
Old 15-01-2020, 21:36   #453
Torf

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutter45 View Post
I’ve been playing Terraforming Mars a lot on iPad so have taken the plunge and ordered the game. Now in the market for player boards
I've also had quite a few games of this on the excellent iOS version over the last week. Watched the Watch It Played tutorial, and then went through the in game tutorial.

Really impressive port, and a great game. Lots going on, but wish there was some kind of campaign rather than just AI and a single player attack mode.

I feel similar about it to Through The Ages in that I don't really feel the need to seek out a 'proper' game of it (though to a lesser extent).
Old 15-01-2020, 23:01   #454
nutter45
burninator

Yes, it feels like they could have done more with it. And it’s quite unstable.

But I find the solo game very replayable and always a good challenge. Only once in 20 odd games have I ever felt early on that I was definitely going to win.

I like through the ages too.

I tried twilight struggle and by god did I struggle. Not a single clue about that one
nutter45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2020, 07:32   #455
vaderag

I just can't get on with board games on my phone. I own pretty much all of them because I can't stop buying them but I just always end up going back to something that's designed originally for that medium

It's feels like trying to watch a movie on a Kindle paperwhite. You can probably do it, but doing it wrong

Old 16-01-2020, 13:39   #456
cliff homewood
Trusted User

I have no interest in mobile boardgames, for me boardgaming is a social hobby to meet others and do - so I don't play games solo either. If i was to game on my mobile I'd play an arcady one.

RE Gloomhaven, we've had no problem with our character combination, once the cragheart hit my rats for 1, but that's it. We are doing alright, now I'm level 3 I feel i've got everything I want from the market (until my items appear).
Old 16-01-2020, 14:37   #457
vaderag

Can someone answer this q around gloomhaven

Let's say I get it and start a campaign with me, my wife and my daughter

Mr daughter gives up week two because she's bored, wife hangs on but has a night out when I want to play, daughter comes back and wants to rejoin

Can it handle this? How?

Old 16-01-2020, 14:44   #458
queeg500
Chump

Pretty easy to handle, you can mix and match characters for each scenario. And each specific scenario will be set up for however many players are playing it.

You will get the best experience if you have a consistent party with the same people but a bit of flex won't impact much.

If a player (or more specifically, character) is not going to play as often as you are, that will mean they level up more slowly – and although this is mitigated slightly by the town leveling up and bringing with it any characters who aren't at or above that level already, that will only partially help. But again, the scenario will be set up based on party members – not only how many but also which levels they are.

Are you thinking about trying this soon? The only other thing I would say is that there is hidden information between players (which cards you're playing each round, and initiative order based on those cards), which will make it challenging to play with young children. (There is a version of the rules where you play with full open information and just adjust the difficulty up a bit, so that's an option.)

But Gloomhaven is great. Always happy to discuss – either here or offline
Old 16-01-2020, 15:47   #459
vaderag

Quote:
Originally Posted by queeg500 View Post
Pretty easy to handle, you can mix and match characters for each scenario. And each specific scenario will be set up for however many players are playing it.

You will get the best experience if you have a consistent party with the same people but a bit of flex won't impact much.

If a player (or more specifically, character) is not going to play as often as you are, that will mean they level up more slowly – and although this is mitigated slightly by the town leveling up and bringing with it any characters who aren't at or above that level already, that will only partially help. But again, the scenario will be set up based on party members – not only how many but also which levels they are.

Are you thinking about trying this soon? The only other thing I would say is that there is hidden information between players (which cards you're playing each round, and initiative order based on those cards), which will make it challenging to play with young children. (There is a version of the rules where you play with full open information and just adjust the difficulty up a bit, so that's an option.)

But Gloomhaven is great. Always happy to discuss – either here or offline
Thanks, that's interesting to hear.
Not thinking soon necessarily, but would like to give it a go at some point, I just don't have a regular group of people close enough so wondered how easy drop in/out is
It sounds like some level of regularity helps tho

Old 16-01-2020, 15:54   #460
queeg500
Chump

The general what you've been playing discussion thread

For sure. I have played at 3P (only a couple of games) and 2P (35 games), and I think 2P is better as there is less down time. If you have people who don't mind sharing a character (i.e. up for playing but less invested in the campaign and their own character than you are) then that could work well as you could maintain character continuity regardless of which person is playing with you at any point. Whether that is feasible in practice I don't know!

Last edited by queeg500; 16-01-2020 at 15:58. Reason: Missing word!