Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Computing Forum

Old 09-01-2020, 09:58   #1
farmroad38
Ho hum...

Setting up Philips Hue bluetooth bulbs

I had four Philips Hue bluetooth bulbs given to me over Christmas, and I've just got round to setting them up.

All seemed relatively straightforward: I used the Alexa app to discover them, rename them and add them to an Alexa group. So far so good.

However, what I'd really like to be able to do is set up 'scenes' (not sure if that's the correct use of what I understand is a specific term in home automation!) I have two in lamps, and two in ceiling lights, so when we're eating or whatever, I want the ceiling lights on and lamps off, when we're watching a film, I want the lamps on and overhead lights off.

I'm not trying to connect them to anything else, just want to be able ask my Echo Dot to set them on/off in the corresponding pattern.

Maybe I'm being thick, but I can't see how to do that in the Alexa app. It does seem possible in the Philips Hue BT app, but this is where the problems start: the Philips app has only recognised two of the four bulbs. I can't get it to see the other two - I've tried unpairing them and rediscovering in the BT app rather than Alexa, but no joy.

Anybody have any clue how to do what I want in Alexa, or force the Philips and Alexa apps to 'sync' which lights they know about?

Edit: Okay, as so often happens when I post this sort of thing, I've immediately found out how to do it - it's a 'routine' in Alexa, not a scene. Just ignore me.

Last edited by farmroad38; 09-01-2020 at 10:13. Reason: I'm an idiot.
farmroad38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 10:26   #2
oldskool
Trusted User

OK

The easiest way to do this is with Alexa routines...so step away from the Hue app and get into the alexa one.

Set up the routines by adding each bulb to the routine you want separately.

You will need a separate routine for both on and off.

you set the trigger phrase, then click smart home, then the bulbs you want, then set the bulbs to do what you want.

so for example, you could set "lamps on" and set it to just turn on the lamps and leave the overhead light off.

I have a fair few routines set up this way, so when it's bedtime, I say "alexa, bedtime" and it will turn down my heating, turn off all lights downstairs and turn on the bedside lamp upstairs.

When I say "Alexa, chill time" it will turn on the living room lamp and the light strip behind the tv and leave the overhead light off...

....and I didn't read the last sentance in your post........also ignore me #facepalm

Last edited by oldskool; 09-01-2020 at 10:30.
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
farmroad38 (09-01-2020)
Old 09-01-2020, 10:45   #3
farmroad38
Ho hum...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskool View Post
....and I didn't read the last sentance in your post........also ignore me #facepalm
farmroad38 is offline   Reply With Quote