Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Old 05-01-2020, 16:45   #81
allan
Trusted User

The main issue is that movnig everything onto their own services means you instantly lose access to it all if you want to quit the service.
allan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 09:45   #82
ascender
Trusted User

I do wonder how many of the services outside of Netflix are going to survive and how long its going to take things like BritBox to feel the pinch and realise its flawed. I do think the long game will be that it will drive more people to finding content illegally or just not bothering.

I just don't get the logic in removing content to buy from somewhere like the iTunes or Amazon stores - that's a very flawed, short-term view to take.
ascender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 14:40   #83
T4V
PSN=The4thViewer XBL=t4v

Disney reveals Hulu coming to other countries, presumably the UK as well....
T4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 15:09   #84
ascender
Trusted User

How many streaming options are too many? We can't be far away from that point already surely...
Old 06-02-2020, 15:11   #85
T4V
PSN=The4thViewer XBL=t4v

Wayyyy past it, would hate to live in the US because of them
Old 06-02-2020, 15:16   #86
allan
Trusted User

The powers at be don't seem to realise that by making everything exclusive they're probably encouraging more people to just pirate stuff. Why pay for 15 different services when a usenet sub gives you access to all of it for a fraction of the price?
Old 06-02-2020, 15:22   #87
ascender
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan View Post
The powers at be don't seem to realise that by making everything exclusive they're probably encouraging more people to just pirate stuff. Why pay for 15 different services when a usenet sub gives you access to all of it for a fraction of the price?
I bet The Mandalorian was one of the most pirated shows of all time. I don't know why Disney didn't put it up for sale on platforms like iTunes given the delayed worldwide rollout.

You're right though, its utterly fragmented now and as I said a while back in this thread, when you can't legally buy a physical copy of a movie/tv show, its got to a ridiculous place.
Old 06-02-2020, 15:51   #88
allan
Trusted User

I read something once from 1 of these studio executives where they claimed that young people under 30 just accept the fact that they won't own anything anymore and will just perpetually rent things. The main issue there being that if you like watching Friends etc. then you are paying forever.

In a way it reminds me of a time, probably pre-DVD/Internet whereby you were lucky if you recorded something on VHS to keep it to watch later or worse still actually bought a VHS tape! Now with DVD/Blurays and hard drive recorders it's much easier to build up a nice collection of the things you want.

It seems like we're going full circle where people won't own anything anymore and will just be paying forever if they want to keep watching stuff.
Old 07-02-2020, 23:23   #89
eye__writ
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan View Post
I was the perfect customer of these media companies for years. Frowning on pirating, lining my wall with thousands of multimedia discs and buying several versions of certain releases to get the latest and greatest picture and extras.

But they've taken the **** for too long now. ****tier and ****tier extras (outside of the boutique companies), massive markups on marginal resolution increases of existing stuff and now streaming services, with their low bitrate flawed content, being rinsed until dry.

**** 'em. It's a pirate's life for me.
Old 08-02-2020, 02:58   #90
T4V
PSN=The4thViewer XBL=t4v

Sir sir! The man over there with the eye patch and dead parrot is a Pirate!
Old 09-02-2020, 22:37   #91
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Thanked 1,229 Times in 871 Posts
With all the services and the lack of physical media, still plenty you cannot legally own and watch. I got a free years sub with my ipad for the apple tv service, thought it was a joke when I saw the lack of content. About 5 shows to watch, haven't even bothered to bulk it out with some old content from other producers.

Can't really see anyone paying £4.99 a month for it
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 23:14   #92
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascender View Post
I bet The Mandalorian was one of the most pirated shows of all time. I don't know why Disney didn't put it up for sale on platforms like iTunes given the delayed worldwide rollout.
Yeah, I thought it was a bizarre decision to release a new Star Wars based show and limit it to the US, and then not expect the rest of the world to want to watch it. Any sense and they'd either have held it back until they could do a worldwide release or let it go outside the US on other services. From what I've read they actively tried to stop people from outside the US signing up using VPNs, so instead of getting their money they pushed them to pirating
Old 10-02-2020, 17:19   #93
ascender
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie G View Post
Yeah, I thought it was a bizarre decision to release a new Star Wars based show and limit it to the US, and then not expect the rest of the world to want to watch it. Any sense and they'd either have held it back until they could do a worldwide release or let it go outside the US on other services. From what I've read they actively tried to stop people from outside the US signing up using VPNs, so instead of getting their money they pushed them to pirating
I'd have been tempted by the service, but not really any point just now until the new Marvel shows land later in the year. Even then, I could see me signing up for a month here and there just to binge stuff when its available.

I was really skeptical about the Apple TV+ thing but got my free year and we've enjoyed a few shows on there, but that's not really the point. Would I pay £4.99 a month to view to view all episodes of Servant, The Morning Show and For All Mankind. Yup, I would, I think that's a bargain.

But would I pay £4.99 a month every month, while waiting for the next must-watch show to come along? As well as doing the same with Disney, Brit Box, Amazon etc? Nah.....