Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Old 22-12-2019, 14:57   #81
TonyG
Xbox Live: Tony Gster

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprout View Post
The Morning Show & For All Mankind both ended their first seasons with a pair of cracking episodes. The latter quickly became one of my favourite shows of the year & I'm very happy they're both getting a second season.

Yeah, totally agree with both. The Morning Show had a slow start but the second half in particular was fantastic. It only took a couple of episodes of For All Mankind for me to be proper hooked & it’s been awesome, especially the space scenes that were Apollo 13 levels of mayhem & clever solutions towards the end.

Also finished “See” which was a mixed bag of inventive, tense, bloody action scenes combined with some dull glacier-paced plotting.

Also currently loving “Servant” which is proper creepy, beautifully shot & doing a great job of keeping the ongoing story intriguing...
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2019, 19:31   #82
aprout
worn to perfection

Location: Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs
Adult Swim & DC's new animated version of Harley Quinn is great fun. Kaley Cuoco provides the voice for our anti-heroine with lots of familiar names (& voices) in the supporting cast including Lake Bell, Alan Tudyk, Jason Alexander, Tony Hale & Diedrich Bader.

It's sweary, violent, incredibly silly, very funny & definitely not for kids. Recommended for any Bat-fans out there.
aprout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 02:08   #83
T4V
PSN=The4thViewer XBL=t4v

New Brooklyn Nine-Nine trailer

https://youtu.be/QuJ1ih5srzw
T4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 10:47   #84
Apostate
Trusted User

I really enjoyed Netflix's Messiah. Plenty of plot holes but I hope there will be a second season.
Apostate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 20:40   #85
T4V
PSN=The4thViewer XBL=t4v

Watched Zoey’s extraordinary playlist’s pilot.... quirky and sweet I guess
Old 13-01-2020, 14:31   #86
bumfrog
bum of the highest order

Quote:
Adult Swim & DC's new animated version of Harley Quinn is great fun. Kaley Cuoco provides the voice for our anti-heroine with lots of familiar names (& voices) in the supporting cast including Lake Bell, Alan Tudyk, Jason Alexander, Tony Hale & Diedrich Bader.

It's sweary, violent, incredibly silly, very funny & definitely not for kids. Recommended for any Bat-fans out there.
thanks for the heads up, had a binge at the weekend and loved it
bumfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 16:40   #87
aprout
worn to perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4V View Post
Watched Zoey’s extraordinary playlist’s pilot.... quirky and sweet I guess
Yep, it tiptoes very carefully along that fine line between cute & irritating. Took me about fifteen minutes to warm up to it, but I enjoyed the pilot.

A couple more newbies:

The first two episodes of HBO's new Stephen King adaptation The Outsider about a murdered child, a 'he-couldn't-possibly-have-done-it' suspect & the cop on the case were quite superb.

Ben Mendelsohn is the cop, Jason Bateman (who directed these two episodes) is the suspect & the supporting cast also includes Paddy Considine, Bill Camp, Julianne Nicholson & Mare Winningham. Richard Price writes the scripts. Dark, moody & with a hypnotic score, I loved it & can't wait to see where it'll go next.

Deputy finds Stephen Dorff as a Deputy Sheriff suddenly promoted to the top of the food chain when the Los Angeles County Sheriff dies of a heart attack. Naturally, our Steve is more comfortable out on the street kickin' ass than he is in budget meetings & doesn't really appreciate being given a bodyguard (who looks about 12 years old). Shenanigans ensue.

It's produced by Training Day / Dark Blue / End Of Watch writer David Ayer, so the action is fairly gritty & features lots of big men with beards & tattoos shooting massive guns at anything that moves, but Dorff's good value for money as ever. I'd be amazed if got more than one season, but it's solidly entertaining.
Old 15-01-2020, 08:29   #88
Jez
Ellis Retire!

Quote:
The first two episodes of HBO's new Stephen King adaptation The Outsider about a murdered child, a 'he-couldn't-possibly-have-done-it' suspect & the cop on the case were quite superb.

Ben Mendelsohn is the cop, Jason Bateman (who directed these two episodes) is the suspect & the supporting cast also includes Paddy Considine, Bill Camp, Julianne Nicholson & Mare Winningham. Richard Price writes the scripts. Dark, moody & with a hypnotic score, I loved it & can't wait to see where it'll go next.
Book spoilers...

Old 16-01-2020, 07:18   #89
bronso
Trusted User

Quote:
The Morning Show & For All Mankind both ended their first seasons with a pair of cracking episodes. The latter quickly became one of my favourite shows of the year & I'm very happy they're both getting a second season.
Thanks for this tip! I'd already watched The Morning Show and liked it well enough, but For All Mankind had crept under my radar. When I checked it out I was almost instantly hooked, and binged the whole thing in a few days. One of my favorites of the year as well. The only other new show I enjoyed as much that comes to mind is Doom Patrol... and maybe Los Espookys, both of which are a lot goofier.
bronso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2020, 14:58   #90
T4V
PSN=The4thViewer XBL=t4v

68 Whiskey... not quite M.A.S.H.
Old 16-01-2020, 17:36   #91
dunkle
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez View Post
Book spoilers...

dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2020, 18:07   #92
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

Don't expect to see Confederate from Benioff and Weiss even HBO won't touch it.
Spaceranger2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2020, 11:58   #93
aprout
worn to perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4V View Post
68 Whiskey... not quite M.A.S.H.
Indeed. I'm not entirely sure what this was supposed to be. Did anyone really want another show about the war in Afghanistan/Iraq/whatever desert war the US are currently fighting?

For a supposed comedy-drama it was consistently laugh-free & not particularly dramatic, all the characters were instantly forgettable & the whole thing just felt like should have been shown 10 years ago.

Nothing about it made me want to watch a second episode.