Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 11-03-2020, 09:31   #2241
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver8 View Post
I watched Alien again a few years ago. It's still fantastic and holds up well (even the sfx), but surprisingly : (1) it's very short, and (2) even then, takes a while to get going.

I'm no purist, so would like a 2.5hr director's cut for the 2020s!
Do not give RS any ideas. There is a scene that could not be finished where Dallas's plan almost works and the alien is lured to the airlock but scared away by ash. The VFX of the time "a guy in a suit" could not create the movement like a creature would require. So the scene is not included and is also why we don't see the alien moving about to much.

The existing director's cut spoils the first viewing of the alien before it's first kill and the cocoon scene creepy as it is kills the urgency to escape the ship before it blows up stone dead.

Its still a fav and still scary
Spaceranger2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 17:15   #2242
cjanderson
2 phalanxs and a catapult

What were the last 3 films you watched: Thread 3

Just back from seeing the hunt. Which I enjoyed. Weirdly was only female in the audience, lots of singles males at the Friday afternoon showing.
Nice and gory but interesting concept.

Oh and sat might I saw quiet place, slightly spoilt as seen the trailers for quiet place 2. But overall okay for a watch at home movie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by cjanderson; 14-03-2020 at 22:05.
cjanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2020, 13:52   #2243
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Thanked 1,059 Times in 466 Posts
Saw a ton of films on the plane

JoJo Rabbit
Great film, funny but also tells a good story, great cast, even rebel wilson is not annoying with her "acting" she fits the role quite well. Must watch

Charlie angels (new one)
The reviews were not joking how bad this was at least the Cameron diaz films knew how dumb and goofy they are. The tone for this film is all over the place, tries to be funny, serious spy etc but its all really bad, bad action, badly directed. Also its very "men are trash" which is popular with Misandry and self hating cuckolds at the minute. Most women didn't go to see the film at the cinema as well. (only watched it as stuck on a plane and nothing else to watch)

Knives out
It was ok, DC's accent was weird AF, maybe a bit too long

Midway
Once again, film makes up a lot of stuff eg as it has chinese money to make the film "he and his men are rescued by what appears to be Chinese communist guerrilla soldiers. In fact, they were rescued by soldiers and villagers affiliated with Nationalist China. "

Ed skrien is terrible, using the Jai courtney school of acting. the film past some time. Some nice effects

Ford vs Ferrari aka le mans 66

Great film, Bale's accent is bit weird as it does not suit him but overall its very enjoyable

edit: forgot
Doctor sleep
Great film, made a sequel to a well loved film without ******* it up

Last edited by fivebyfive; 19-03-2020 at 16:06.
fivebyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
Out for Justice (19-03-2020)
Old 19-03-2020, 17:30   #2244
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,589 Times in 527 Posts
You're not allowed to criticise the new Charlie's Angels as it has a woman writer/director. We're all mysoginists for saying so apparently.
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2020, 17:53   #2245
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bear View Post
You're not allowed to criticise the new Charlie's Angels as it has a woman writer/director. We're all mysoginists for saying so apparently.
yep and the women that didn't see it were mysoginists as well
Old 21-03-2020, 19:29   #2246
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

Doom: Annihilation NOW TV, bad I mean really bad, makes DOOM look like the Godfather. Go woke and go broke should have been the subtitle for this. Unknown actors aplenty and you can tell, no one is worth hoping they stay alive for. Lot of engligh actors in this playing Americans but not doing very well. Sets look like TV sets, i.e. very clean for a space station that just suffered major catastrophe.. The BFG make an appearance but its a pea shooter comapred to the one the Rock had.

Hell Comes To Frogtown ROKU, not to sure about this. Its OTT in a way they could never do today. Roddy Piper plays it straight even though its one of his first gigs and the film is better for it. Some of the effects are sub par but the effect for the boss creature is surprisingly well done.

Spacehunter: Adventures In the Forbidden Zone ROKU, for a kids movie there are quite a few scenes that would not be kid appropriate today. But hell it was the eighties. Resuce mission for a Han Solo type minus the hairy sidekick. Peter Strauss is very good as the jaded spacehunter. Model effects as still good, not a fan of the 3D point things at the camera stuff but its minimal. To be able to plough through the streets in the Scrambler that would be somnething.

Last edited by Spaceranger2001; 21-03-2020 at 19:31.
Old 31-03-2020, 19:53   #2247
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

Bloodshot Google Play, we are kept waiting for Riddick 4 because of trash like this ffs. Absolutely awful a sort of tech version of Deadpool without the humor. Mindcontrol part is a nice idea but how he breaks out of it is just Cue the traditional beating up of people and a chase sequence supposed to be in London (The London which is located in England incase the filmakers read this) but is clearly not London most likely South Africa

1.5/5

Shakedown aka Blue Jean Cop Roku, A bad cop flick from the 80s from the Director of The Exterminator starring Peter Weller and Sam Elliott (who was the best part of Ang Lee's Hulk) Way OTT ending for a movie about dirty Cops but hell it was the 80s

3.5/5

FutureWorld Roku, not a patch on the orignal WestWorld and is best avoided

.5/5

Last edited by Spaceranger2001; 01-04-2020 at 14:48.
Old 31-03-2020, 20:32   #2248
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceranger2001 View Post
Bloodshot Google Play, we are kept waiting for Riddick 4 because of trash like this ffs. Absolutely awful a sort of tech version of Deadpool without the humor. Mindcontrol part is a nice idea but how he breaks out of it is just Cue the traditional beating up of people and a chase sequence supposed to be in London (The London which is located in England incase the filmakers read this) but is clearly not London most likely South Africa

1.5/5
isn't it a 15.99 rental?
Old 31-03-2020, 20:38   #2249
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivebyfive View Post
isn't it a 15.99 rental?

13.99 4k purchase or 9.99 SD purchase
Old 31-03-2020, 20:40   #2250
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

even 9.99 for this is a crime
Old 01-04-2020, 10:27   #2251
aprout
worn to perfection

Location: Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceranger2001 View Post
Bloodshot ... a chase sequence supposed to be in London (The London which is located in England incase the filmakers read this) but is clearly not London most likely South Africa
That was hilarious. After the single establishing shot of a black cab, they made absolutely no effort to even try & make it look like London.

Other than that, I quite enjoyed it for the nonsense it was.
aprout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 15:45   #2252
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Kill your friends
Normally hate James Corden in films but he is great in this role Also NH nails the role as scummy music exec

8.5/10

Afterdeath
small UK indie horror from 5 years ago, while the acting can be ropey at times, its still great concept and still good on rewatch

7/10

The gentlemen
One of GR better films, Hugh Grant is great in this role. Although didn't like "The toddlers" Its decent rental, not sure it has lots of rewatches

7.5/10

Last edited by fivebyfive; 01-04-2020 at 15:46.
fivebyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 19:32   #2253
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprout View Post
That was hilarious. After the single establishing shot of a black cab, they made absolutely no effort to even try & make it look like London.

Other than that, I quite enjoyed it for the nonsense it was.
They did something similar in ahem Supergirl, guy was supposed to be in London but clearly wasn't. Why even bother

Guy Pierce really should have had a meatier role by now, Momento is too long ago and that Die Hard in space was ****. Why he keeps getting these by the numbers bad guy roles is beyond me he is capable of much more.
Old 03-04-2020, 10:04   #2254
cedge
PSN: cedge17, Xbox: cedge

Now that it seems they I have a lot more time to watch films probably because my commute to work has reduced dramatically I feel that I can contribute to this thread....

Nowhere to Run - Caught this film on TV this week, not bad considering its age and a surprisingly tender performance by JVD.

7/10

Downton Abbey - Blu Ray rented from Cinema Paradiso. As I watched the TV series it was a decent enough story and nice to see the characters and the setting get a cinematography boost. Nothing to write home about but it put a smile on my face most of the time.

7/10

It Chapter 2 - Blu Ray rented from Cinema Paradiso. This was probably the biggest disappointment of the year so far in terms of films after loving the first chapter. Such a missed opportunity.

5/10

My Flickr Page | My Twitter | PSN: cedge17, Xbox: cedge

Last edited by cedge; 03-04-2020 at 10:05.
cedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2020, 19:38   #2255
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

Colour Out Of Space Very weird and some good horror elements far better than Mandy, however rewatch-ability might be low

4/5

The Turning Female Kyle Reese from Terminator 6 and the annoying kid from Stranger things. Its crap; FKR is looking after Stranger Things Mike (who needs his hair cut) and his his sister. Supposedly a haunting is going on but its as scary as horse ****

0/5

The Boy Creepy doll not like Annabelle and a couple of nutty parents ok but not a scary film

2/5

Jo Jo Rabbit Don't get the hype for this, watched it through but took more than one sitting. The idea of TW being Hitler in the little boys head is a neat idea but when stuff goes to hell he dissapears altogether.

1/5
Old 21-04-2020, 10:19   #2256
driver8
eviscerate your memory

Thanked 2,338 Times in 993 Posts
This is weird. These are genuinely the last 4 films we've watched, and despite being very different, they all had coincidentally similar openings - an intimate portrayal of a very poor family, who then go on to interact with either wealthy people or the powerful system. These 4 would make a good film-study project!

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005) - Colourful, creative, cheeky, great fun! With Burton's usual visual flair and darker undertone. 7/10

The Florida Project (2017) - Essential for cinephiles, otherwise perhaps a bit slow. The docu-style works for the most part, and it's uncomfortably believable. 8/10

Shoplifters [Manbiki kazoku] (2018) - Interesting, uncomfortably intimate, beautifully shot. Unusually, the kids were excellent too. Bit rushed at the end. 9/10.

Parasite [Gisaengchung] (2019) - Managed to avoid any Oscar spoilers, so went blind into this (the best way). Uneven in tone (as expected from Korea) but only a little. Playful, confident, good use of widescreen (watch large, high res). An entertaining, unpredictable roller-coaster. 9/10.
driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
bronso (22-04-2020)
Old 20-05-2020, 15:31   #2257
driver8
eviscerate your memory

Thanked 2,338 Times in 993 Posts
Planet of the Humans (2019) - currently free on YouTube for a limited time. I'm a Micheal Moore fan, but this was getting such a bad rap from the Greens that I only watched out of curiosity. (I mean, an eco-doc well-reviewed by Breitbart?!)
There's a few absolute howlers in this that even I spotted, and I'm amazed that MM released it in this form (reviews and a long referenced take down). Curiosity only, 5/10.

I honestly can't recall the last time I didn't finish (or had to FFWD through) a film, as I'm very selective ... but we had 2 this week! >>

Visitors (2013) - I'm a big fan of the mesmerising Quatsi trilogy, but his latest was putting us to sleep after 20 minutes. Avoid this slo-mo screensaver, 3/10.

Silence (2016) - this ticked all my boxes: Scorcese, Driver, Neeson, Japanese setting, R-rating, 7.9 metacritics score ... I lasted 55 minutes.
The main issue is that it's just so unbelievable - you are obviously watching actors in a Hollywood-ised landscape (that's played for real). Plus there are continuity errors galore (I don't usually spot them), mismatched reverse cuts, light/colour problems, terrible accents (why not use subs?), hammy extras and what looks like some stock footage! Add all of that to some spiritual bunkum that makes the Jedi seem believable, and I challenge you to get through this without FF or your phone. I like to think that I appreciate 'challenging' and 'slow-burning', but contrary to this previous thread I thought it was terrible, 2/10.
driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2020, 19:46   #2258
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

Phantasm ROKU quite an old movie but actually still good.

3.5/5

Rise of Skwalker God it's worse on second viewing

1/5

Suicide Squad - Hell to pay Animation that ****** over the two live action movies. Animation is not as detailed as earlier DC animations but the dark humour is there.

4/5