Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19-08-2008, 22:16   #81
Marv
Friday the 13th
 
Marv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Camp Crystal Lake
Posts: 6,475
Thanks: 165
Thanked 69 Times in 34 Posts
In all fareness thought you'd think someelse would have noticed this before, youtube usually has video's for eveything and it's nowhere to be seen.

Could it be that because the original video version was in fullscreen that there was more vidoe at the top and bottom which is usuall cut off by the 2:35:1 apsect ratio?
Hence the car is viewalble in full screen and not in intended widesreen version.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2008, 08:58   #82
Jonnof
another man's pretentious
 
Jonnof's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 2,193
Thanks: 21
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The rest of the film is pan/scanned - suppose it's just possible that they went open-matte on that footage if the process of cropping the original 1:33 (IIRC?) Shining negative down to 2.35:1, and then pan/scanning that, resulted in too great a loss of information or resolution.

Still the same shot, though.
Jonnof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2008, 10:47   #83
anephric
Kidney Thief
 
anephric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Derby, UK
Posts: 22,698
Thanks: 33
Thanked 120 Times in 76 Posts
I've got the Criterion laserdisc rip somewhere. I assume this will pass muster as being the "untampered with" version? Although, obviously, it's not P&S.
__________________
www.khaaan.com
anephric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2008, 11:31   #84
Guest 65490
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 820
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv View Post
In all fareness thought you'd think someelse would have noticed this before, youtube usually has video's for eveything and it's nowhere to be seen.

Could it be that because the original video version was in fullscreen that there was more vidoe at the top and bottom which is usuall cut off by the 2:35:1 apsect ratio?
Hence the car is viewalble in full screen and not in intended widesreen version.
I think all the youtube footage was removed maybe it contravened rules ? or maybe the company that owned Blade Runner took action,that is why I posted the other Youtube link to give you some idea as to how it should be as the clip is exactly the same.

The films end credits on the cinema version in the 5 disc set have been shortened and simply replaced with newer footage gathered from Kubrick.

Last edited by Silent Voice; 20-08-2008 at 11:35.
Guest 65490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2008, 11:39   #85
scoobyood
Tony Danza
 
scoobyood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Zagreb
Posts: 9,438
Thanks: 978
Thanked 1,402 Times in 739 Posts
You are still just repeating yourself.. we're waiting (sort of) for you to pony up the evidence. Or do you just intend to repeat yourself with no plans to get this footage? Tell us now so we know to ignore your ramblings.
scoobyood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2008, 11:58   #86
Guest 65490
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 820
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobyood View Post
You are still just repeating yourself.. we're waiting (sort of) for you to pony up the evidence.
The evidence is in the Youtube link I posted,even if I posted other evidence it will still be the same footage.


Does anyone know at all what legal issues Blade Runner had before the 5 disc set was released ?

There was talk on the Dangerous Days Documentary but they sort of skimmed over the legal issues.
Guest 65490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2008, 12:41   #87
Jonnof
another man's pretentious
 
Jonnof's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 2,193
Thanks: 21
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Voice View Post
The evidence is in the Youtube link I posted,even if I posted other evidence it will still be the same footage.
I can feel my will to live draining away as I type this, but one last time: THAT FOOTAGE ISN'T EVIDENCE UNLESS IT'S IN THE CONTEXT YOU'RE SO KEEN TO PROVE THE EXISTENCE OF.

Show us this fabled 'original original' ending to Blade Runner (or at least documentary evidence that it exists, besides your own repeated insistence) or just drop it. Please?
Jonnof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2008, 13:33   #88
scoobyood
Tony Danza
 
scoobyood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Zagreb
Posts: 9,438
Thanks: 978
Thanked 1,402 Times in 739 Posts
Forget it. He's just lying.

You need 2 video clips in your next post 'silent voice'.
- The "old" ending of Blade runner with footage that you say is currently NOT in the new versions.
- The ending of blade runner from the recent 5 disc set.

Unless you post those two clips in your next post... YOU ARE LYING. Simple as that. You have given us nothing so far, you may as well have been linking to 'Care Bears: The Movie' to prove your point instead of the shinning.
scoobyood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2008, 14:28   #89
Guest 65490
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 820
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnof View Post
I can feel my will to live draining away as I type this, but one last time: THAT FOOTAGE ISN'T EVIDENCE UNLESS IT'S IN THE CONTEXT YOU'RE SO KEEN TO PROVE THE EXISTENCE OF.

Show us this fabled 'original original' ending to Blade Runner (or at least documentary evidence that it exists)
Why is the youtube not evidence enough ? both show scenes used in the end product!!
Guest 65490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2008, 14:31   #90
Guest 65490
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 820
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobyood View Post
Forget it. He's just lying.
How can I be lying when I have showed the clips as evidence!!

It seems to me that you simply wish to be argumentive and I am not biting sorry.
Guest 65490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2008, 14:52   #91
scoobyood
Tony Danza
 
scoobyood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Zagreb
Posts: 9,438
Thanks: 978
Thanked 1,402 Times in 739 Posts
Thanks for confirming you were in fact lying.

50 seconds in... look to the right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJvqH...eature=related
scoobyood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2008, 16:55   #92
Guest 65490
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 820
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobyood View Post
Thanks for confirming you were in fact lying.
I was in fact confirming to you I was not lying but you seem to miss the point never mind.
Guest 65490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2008, 18:32   #93
bosque
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 4,623
Thanks: 100
Thanked 25 Times in 24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Voice View Post
Does anyone know at all what legal issues Blade Runner had before the 5 disc set was released ?

There was talk on the Dangerous Days Documentary but they sort of skimmed over the legal issues.
I think this was to do with the copyright ownership - wasn't it actually owned by the producers ? with whom Ridley had many a run-in at the time BR was filmed and who had only fairly recently given approval for the extensive work needed for the 5 disc set.
bosque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2008, 19:02   #94
anephric
Kidney Thief
 
anephric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Derby, UK
Posts: 22,698
Thanks: 33
Thanked 120 Times in 76 Posts
Yep: Bud Yorkin and Jerry Perenchio. They were venture capitalists, not film producers, and they hated that BR went so over budget, that Scott was so difficult and that it didn't make any money.
__________________
www.khaaan.com
anephric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2008, 19:21   #95
Guest 65490
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 820
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ridley Scott apparently toyed with the idea of a sequel film, which would have been titled Metropolis. However, the project was ultimately shelved due to rights issues.

A script was also written for a proposed sequel entitled Blade Runner Down, which would have been based on K. W. Jeter's first Blade Runner sequel novel.

At the 2007 Comic-Con, Scott again announced that he is considering a sequel to the film.
Guest 65490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2008, 10:56   #96
thescrounger
Trusted User
 
thescrounger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Kent
Posts: 19,802
Thanks: 93
Thanked 27 Times in 25 Posts
It would never live up to the original.
thescrounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2008, 18:40   #97
scoobyood
Tony Danza
 
scoobyood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Zagreb
Posts: 9,438
Thanks: 978
Thanked 1,402 Times in 739 Posts
There is already a "sort of" sequel to Blade Runner....

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120157/

Sacrilege isn't it!
scoobyood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:33   #98
Guest 10192
Trusted User
 
Guest 10192's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Sometimes here, sometimes there
Posts: 698
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Watched this on bluray the other night after first seeing it at the cinema as part of A level Media Studies a while ago and not getting on with it.

After seeing it the second time, have to say I wish I hadn't bothered as it was nothing special at all so can't see what the fuss is about.

I can see that the direction from Scott was spot on and the sets and imagery used was excellent in depicting the future world as was the clever use of shadows and light but the film was not something that got me thinking "wow...this film is awesome".

I think I must have watched the final cut seeing it was the bluray but still not a film I got on with.

Last edited by zenza; 10-09-2009 at 10:34.
Guest 10192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:15   #99
Wilson
Spam Spam Eggs n Spam
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Chelmsford
Posts: 1,496
Thanks: 6
Thanked 13 Times in 10 Posts
I actually enjoyed the voice over version, when i first saw it in my youth i always imagined it was just a futurisic version of those old black and white Sam Spade films with the cheesy voiceover, due to that it fitted perfectly well together in my mind.

I dread to think what a sequal would be like! Wouldnt dekkards batteries have dried up by now.


Anyway, theres also a version not released with a scene showing dekkard pulling the skin back on his arm to prove he is a replicant. Annoyingly, some director used used the scene in T2 as well and thats the only place the evidence exists. But its true i tell ya!
Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 13:24   #100
Guest 62452
Weapon of MAX Destruction
 
Guest 62452's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,962
Thanks: 37
Thanked 18 Times in 10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Voice View Post
Ridley Scott apparently toyed with the idea of a sequel film, which would have been titled Metropolis. However, the project was ultimately shelved due to rights issues.

A script was also written for a proposed sequel entitled Blade Runner Down, which would have been based on K. W. Jeter's first Blade Runner sequel novel.

At the 2007 Comic-Con, Scott again announced that he is considering a sequel to the film.
Is the book any good?

I'd be fascinated to see Ridley Scott helm a sequel, if only to see what his ratio of practical effects to CGI will be in his attempts to achieve that future world. Also, he seems pumped to do another sci-fi film after seeing Cameron's Avatar footage. Whether it will be an Alien prequel, a Blade Runner sequel, or an adaptation of The Forever War, I'm more than a little curious to see what happens when Scott returns to science fiction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenza View Post
Watched this on bluray the other night after first seeing it at the cinema as part of A level Media Studies a while ago and not getting on with it.

After seeing it the second time, have to say I wish I hadn't bothered as it was nothing special at all so can't see what the fuss is about.

I can see that the direction from Scott was spot on and the sets and imagery used was excellent in depicting the future world as was the clever use of shadows and light but the film was not something that got me thinking "wow...this film is awesome".

I think I must have watched the final cut seeing it was the bluray but still not a film I got on with.
Well, yours would be the normal first reaction, so don't worry about it.

I do understand why someone wouldn't 'get on with it'. It's not a fast paced action thing. More of a slow burn thing, like Chinatown. Only it doesn't have the narrative drive of Chinatown. So it becomes more about character interactions. More about the in-betweens. More about the spaces between spaces. When I first saw it, I was utterly haunted. I must have watched it about fifteen times in one week. Couldn't get enough of it.

But I think you may have to understand what it is you are watching before you can gain an appreciation of it. That's not necessary, of course - you're entitled to dislike it. It's just a friendly suggestion.
Guest 62452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
blade runner, Brion James, Daryl Hannah, Edward James Olmos, Harrison Ford, Hy Pyke, James Hong, Joanna C, Joanna Cassidy, Joe Turkel, M. Emmet Walsh, Morgan Paull, Rutger Hauer, Sean Young, William Sanderson

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blade Runner Guest 44226 Film Discussion 2 25-06-2006 13:42
Dodgy website enquiry- Blade DTS, Taxi Driver DTS, Blade Runner in 5.1 DD! Guest 5373 Film Discussion 5 25-12-2002 17:50

All times are GMT. The time now is 11:27.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018 Poisonous Monkey Ltd. Part of The Digital Fix Network