Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 15-08-2008, 09:03   #61
Jonnof
another man's pretentious

Both the original theatrical cut and the 'international' cut include the 'driving' ending, which does indeed contain unused footage from The Shining.

Is your point that Jack's car isn't visible? They either used takes that didn't feature it, or (as I seem to recall) cropped it out of the image - it's not meant to be there...
Jonnof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2008, 11:38   #62
Guest 65490
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnof View Post
Both the original theatrical cut and the 'international' cut include the 'driving' ending, which does indeed contain unused footage from The Shining.

Is your point that Jack's car isn't visible? They either used takes that didn't feature it, or (as I seem to recall) cropped it out of the image - it's not meant to be there...
Yes I understand what your saying in your first point about the unused footage but it is not the footage that was there on it's first release,what they have done however is used entirely different unused footage (they talk about this on the Dangerous Days Documentary ) and also the footage is not cropped as it is entirely very different altogether and that is the point I am making.
Guest 65490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2008, 11:47   #63
Jonnof

So you've seen a version that used different Shining footage? Was that theatrically, or on VHS, or what? The new DVD certainly looks the same as the TV/tape versions I've seen (though not pan and scanned, obviously).
Old 15-08-2008, 12:30   #64
Guest 65490
Banned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tfHX...eature=related

The Shining (Opening Credits sequence ) Approx .50secs in that clip you should see the footage that was used in Bladerunner's ending and that is what I am referring to.
Old 15-08-2008, 12:35   #65
Guest 65490
Banned

.50secs into this clip of The Shining opening Credits and this what was used in Blade Runner's ending after the Ford narration.

Old 15-08-2008, 12:52   #66
Guest 65490
Banned

Quote:
So you've seen a version that used different Shining footage? Was that theatrically, or on VHS, or what? The new DVD certainly looks the same as the TV/tape versions I've seen (though not pan and scanned, obviously).

.50seconds in.
Old 15-08-2008, 13:56   #67
Guest 65490
Banned

The first version and sell thru on UK VHS has the Shining footage.....have a look at youtube and you will see The Shining footage that should have been used instead of some other footage we now have on the current 5 disc set.

A link here to youtube look to the right of the picture @ .50 seconds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoHm6UywRTw

Last edited by Silent Voice; 15-08-2008 at 14:02.
Old 15-08-2008, 15:10   #68
Marv
Friday the 13th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Voice View Post
The first version and sell thru on UK VHS has the Shining footage.....have a look at youtube and you will see The Shining footage that should have been used instead of some other footage we now have on the current 5 disc set.

A link here to youtube look to the right of the picture @ .50 seconds

What are we looking for

I cant see them using footage that was used in the Shinning in an 80's version, because stanley Kurbrick would'nt have allowed it.

The dvd says there was hours of Helicopter footage shot, but Kubrick insisted they used anything accept nothing that used in his cut of the shinng.

Last edited by Marv; 15-08-2008 at 15:11.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 02:47   #69
Guest 65490
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv View Post
What are we looking for

I cant see them using footage that was used in the Shinning in an 80's version, because stanley Kurbrick would'nt have allowed it.

The dvd says there was hours of Helicopter footage shot
0.50 seconds into that youtube clip you see the yellow VW car ? that scene with the VW was in Bladerunner in the 1982 cinema and the pre cert and the (1989 sell thru ) versions so that is what you should be looking for.

When you see the *happy ending* versions on the 5 disc set you do not get that scene with the VW car on the road,Ridley has now had access to newer footage and that is what is used on the newer dvds,basically what I am saying is Ridley has substituted the original Shining clip with another Shining clip altogether.

Does that make sense to you ?

Last edited by Silent Voice; 19-08-2008 at 02:56.
Old 19-08-2008, 05:49   #70
scoobyood
Tony Danza

Thanked 1,397 Times in 737 Posts
You've posted the same youtube video four times. What are you trying to achieve? 50 seconds in there is yellow grass (or yellow youtube blur to be precise) to the right of the picture... that what we should be looking at?

If you are saying that's there slightly different footage used, firstly who cares, secondly you are going to have to put up clips of the old version of blade runner with the footage you say is now missing and the new footage in the new versions for us to compare it. Otherwise how the hell would we know what you are getting at...

On the subject of which versions people should watch in the five disc set, I would say watch the Final Cut first. Then watch the dangerous days doc, then watch the work print with the commentary. That details all the changes made across all the versions, and it's and preps you if you are going to watch the other cuts. Plus make sure to watch the documentary on the restoration. That's good.
scoobyood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 08:33   #71
Jonnof

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobyood View Post
If you are saying that's there slightly different footage used, firstly who cares, secondly you are going to have to put up clips of the old version of blade runner with the footage you say is now missing and the new footage in the new versions for us to compare it. Otherwise how the hell would we know what you are getting at...
Quite - if you're going to make allegations that fly in the face of (a) Scott's official position re. Kubrick's material and (b) anyone else's recollection, it's kind of important to show us what you're talking about (and clips from a different film entirely don't count).
Old 19-08-2008, 11:01   #72
MetalGearAl
Trusted User

I finally got around to seeing Blade Runner at the weekend. I've wanted to see it for yonks and when the 5-disc came cheap I picked it up. I decided to go with The Final Cut.

I quite liked it, though I find films with post-apocalpytic styled dystopias rather unlikeable and hard to get into quite often; they don't really appeal to me at all. Nevertheless by the end of BR I wasn't that put off by it.

As it was pretty unavoidable to hear anything about BR over 25 years, I'd had a little bit spoiled for me, but actually I think it was good to have that in my mind whilst watching it. I didn't recognise the figure as being a unicorn at the end, and didn't make the connection until I read up on the film after having seen it. I rather liked what they did there though.

Not sure I'll be watching it again anytime soon, but it will be interesting to see the theatrical cut to hear this much-disliked voice-over
MetalGearAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 11:13   #73
Jonnof

Yes, the theatrical should make an interesting comparison - I imagine the voice-over will seem especially unnecessary if it wasn't there the first time you saw the film, but you never know... some prefer it.

Actually, go for the International cut - it's almost identical, but includes a few seconds of violent footage that were toned down for the Theatrical (and you've seen in the Final cut anyway).
Old 19-08-2008, 13:07   #74
anephric
Kidney Thief

Everyone's first Blade Runner should include as much Tyrell eye-gouging and Pris thigh-slapping as possible.
Old 19-08-2008, 14:40   #75
Guest 65490
Banned

Quote:
Quite - if you're going to make allegations that fly in the face of (a) Scott's official position re. Kubrick's material and (b) anyone else's recollection, it's kind of important to show us what you're talking about (and clips from a different film entirely don't count).
Why can't I show *clips from a different film entirely* ? Ridley Scott did (and in fact included it in BR ) so I can not see why I can not

Best way to prove it ,is to go and get the video or borrow it and have a look at the end for yourselves and maybe just maybe you might see it for yourselves.

Anyone who knows anything about BladeRunner would and should know the ending by now!!

BTW Bosque This is NOT a wind-up.

Last edited by Silent Voice; 19-08-2008 at 16:49.
Old 19-08-2008, 16:10   #76
bosque
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Voice View Post
Why can't I show *clips from a different film entirely* ? Ridley Scott did (and in fact included it in BR ) so I can not see why I can not

Best way to prove it ,is to go and get the video or borrow it and have a look at the end for yourselves and maybe just maybe you might see it for yourselves.

Anyone who knows anything about BladeRunner would and should know the ending by now!!
This is a wind-up and he appears to be doing the same thing and asking the same question on AV Forums, posting footage of Kubrick out-takes from the beginning of The Shining etc.
bosque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 16:46   #77
Guest 65490
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosque View Post
This is a wind-up
Nope not a wind up bosque,as I say go buy the vhs tape ( you can get for about Ł1/50p nowadays ) and you will see why it is not one.
Old 19-08-2008, 17:12   #78
Jonnof

I don't know. Kids these days just seem to have too much time on their hands.

I blame the internet.
Old 19-08-2008, 18:15   #79
Guest 65490
Banned

Quote:
I don't know. Kids these days just seem to have too much time on their hands.

I blame the internet.
Indeed and they never believe when you post on a subject.

Never mind eh!!
Old 19-08-2008, 21:52   #80
scoobyood
Tony Danza

Thanked 1,397 Times in 737 Posts
Why don't you go and get the VHS then point a camera at your TV.. then upload that to video to youtube. Unless you are willing to do that, no one will believe you and it should be assumed you are lying.
As with most things the burden of proof rests on the claimant. I suspect you are a bored attention seeker.
scoobyood is online now   Reply With Quote