Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 17-04-2008, 19:48   #21
Guest 58780
Banned

How can a film which doesn't want to be liked provide such a beautiful vision? I dunno, but I loved that. First time I'd seen the film in 4 or 5 years I think and it was a complete joy to behold. I want to watch it again soon.

Couldn't see any changes which is the whole idea. /Note to Lucas
Guest 58780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2008, 22:11   #22
DanWilde1966
I no longer post here.

I am cutting back in my mind to when I first saw the film - in the Bracknell ABC in 1982. It was a filthy fleapit, and the sound was a crackly mono and the movie wasn't even lined up properly on the screen. We are spoiled by DVD.
DanWilde1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 09:02   #23
Hernster
Toon Army Member

Having never seen Blade Runner, I have the R2 5 Disc set.

I want to watch the different versions in the right order. Am I right in thinking it should be like this?

US Theatrical
International Theatrical
1992 Directors cut
'Work print'
Final Cut

Hernster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 09:17   #24
Guest 65023
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo Justus View Post
OK, you guys have whetted my appetite. I've got 2 hours spare, it's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses errr... I'm off to watch the Final Cut right now.

If I'm not back by dark call the president
Watch the Dangerous days doc too.
Fascinating.

It makes you realise how much care and attention went into the visuals.
Guest 65023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 09:30   #25
Jonnof
another man's pretentious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hernster View Post

I want to watch the different versions in the right order. Am I right in thinking it should be like this?

US Theatrical
International Theatrical
1992 Directors cut
'Work print'
Final Cut

Do you mean chronologically? In that case it should be:

Workprint
US Theatrical
International Theatrical
1992 Director's Cut
Final Cut

Are you really planning on watching Blade Runner five times in a row?! (You can at least skip one of the theatrical versions since the differences amount to about 5 seconds...)
Jonnof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 10:16   #26
Guest 20043
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwgarratt View Post
The R2 I had was anamorphic but a awful transfer. It was watchable (just).

The final cut can be bought on its own for just £5 now from Play.com.
whats the diffrence between this and the other 5 disc version
Guest 20043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 10:20   #27
Jonnof
another man's pretentious

It doesn't include the earlier cuts of the film.
Jonnof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 10:34   #28
Guest 3460
fallen english gent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonL View Post
Watch the Dangerous days doc too.
Fascinating.

It makes you realise how much care and attention went into the visuals.
And an invaluable companion-piece to the film/DVD set is the making-of book "Future Noir" by Paul M. Sammon, which is an extremely absorbing read, and as throughly researched and detailed a making-of as I could have wanted.

Blade Runner is one of those films that I admire and I appreciate more than I actually 'enjoy', per se: bit like 2001 (and most of Kubrick's work).
Guest 3460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 11:19   #29
ourmatetone
PSN/XBL/Steam: tone217

Quote:

US Theatrical
International Theatrical
1992 Directors cut
'Work print'
Final Cut

Watch the Final Cut first. On first viewing you should really see the film as it's meant to be seen, then revisit the others as a curiosity.
ourmatetone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 11:25   #30
Guest 58879
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKPiggott View Post
Watch the Final Cut first. On first viewing you should really see the film as it's meant to be seen, then revisit the others as a curiosity.
I agree, and IMO it's the best of the bunch and an amazing transfer and in HD even better!
Guest 58879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 11:57   #31
nwgarratt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by unrealnils View Post
whats the diffrence between this and the other 5 disc version
It's just the Final Cut with the extras disc.

For someone who haven't seen it, I would watch the Theatrical version first then skip the Directors Cut and go to the Final Cut

Last edited by nwgarratt; 18-04-2008 at 11:59.
nwgarratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 12:06   #32
Hernster
Toon Army Member

Thanks guys.

I want to view the film in the order they were released so I can be like everyone else on the planet who has seen the film except me, lol.
Old 18-04-2008, 12:49   #33
bronso
Trusted User

Yeah, but practically no one experienced them in that order. The workprint was only used for test screenings before the movie came out, it wasn't viewed by the general public until ten years later, when it was shown in a couple of theaters in LA. For the vast majority of people, this DVD release is their first chance to see it. And few people saw both the US Theatrical and the International versions, for obvious reasons.

If you absolutely have to see them "in order" (and there's an argument to be made that seeing one of the voice-over versions first makes a certain amount of sense), the best would probably be:

-International Cut (which is just the Theatrical Cut with a few extra bits of violence omitted from the US version)
-Director's Cut (this is what people have been watching since 1992)
-Final Cut

(The others can be watched later, along with the deleted scenes, alternate takes and screen tests.)

But the Director's Cut and the Final Cut are so close that the only point in watching both at this time would be to play Spot the Difference, see if you can notice all the flaws that have now been fixed. I think that from any point of view other than that of Blade Runner geekdom, the only versions you need to care about are the original, theatrical release (preferably in its International flavor) and the director's-vision-finally-realized Final Cut.
bronso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 13:52   #34
nwgarratt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronso View Post
Yeah, but practically no one experienced them in that order. The workprint was only used for test screenings before the movie came out, it wasn't viewed by the general public until ten years later, when it was shown in a couple of theaters in LA. For the vast majority of people, this DVD release is their first chance to see it. And few people saw both the US Theatrical and the International versions, for obvious reasons.
Surely, lots of people like me watched the Theatrical version on VHS before DVD came out. I have been watching Blade Runner regularly for about 18 years now.

I would still watch the Theatrical (International) Cut before the Final Cut.
nwgarratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 14:11   #35
ourmatetone

Quote:
Thanks guys.

I want to view the film in the order they were released so I can be like everyone else on the planet who has seen the film except me, lol.
But you have an opportunity that all those people who saw the films through subsequent re-releases didn't, to see it in its most perfect form for the first time.

There's only one reason to watch the theatrical version first and that is because it's the only way to properly enjoy that version. After you've seen the DC/FC, you realise that the voiceover really grates and ruins the experience.
Old 18-04-2008, 14:20   #36
SqueakyG
Trusted User

Blade Runner is a masterful film, but in my opinion, it's a difficult film to enjoy. I wouldn't want to watch all 5 versions sequentially, just for the tiny differences between them.

In a way, the "5 different versions" thing has been played up too much. Unlike other films which may have radically different alternate cuts, the differences in Blade Runner amount to only a minute or two, maximum. (Though of course, the unicorn is very significant, despite being onscreen for only 10 seconds; and the voice-over and happy ending give the film a different feel).

Don't waste your time watching the US Theatrical and the US International cut -- just watch one, then watch the violence scenes of the other to check the difference.

And if you REALLY want to view the film the way everyone else did... you'd need to watch it with ITV adverts and a break for the news, like my first viewing!
SqueakyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 14:25   #37
ourmatetone

Reading your post Squeaky, I'm starting to wonder why I bought the five disc set as I doubt I'll watch anything but the Final Cut (which can now be picked up on its own for a fiver). I did want to see the Theatrical Cut again as it had been some years but it's certainly a poorer experience.

Having said that, I did watch four out of five of the cuts in the first month or so of owning it (think only the US theatrical is still unwatched) and yes, I did start to tire of the film.
Old 18-04-2008, 14:54   #38
Hernster
Toon Army Member

You've given me a lot to think about, thanks guys.
Old 18-04-2008, 15:08   #39
ourmatetone

I can definitely see where you're coming from about wanting to see the different versions in release order because I'm usually the same with all films. Blade Runner's a little different as the changes are (as mentioned) very minor and mainly alter the tone of the film as opposed having any impact to the actual plot. Also unlike many other "Director's Cuts" out there it isn't simply a quick money maker thrown out by the studio.
Old 18-04-2008, 15:24   #40
Guest 23929
Xbox - KaRW/ PSN KaRW1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwgarratt View Post
Surely, lots of people like me watched the Theatrical version on VHS before DVD came out. I have been watching Blade Runner regularly for about 18 years now.

I would still watch the Theatrical (International) Cut before the Final Cut.
Same here, I've still got the big soft box Warner version as I can't bear to throw it away or part with it. Wasnt it amongst the very first VHS titles that came out to buy? For about £50, before there was even a rental market? I think they were then withdrawn, and the one with 'rental' marked on it came out?
Guest 23929 is offline   Reply With Quote