Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 16-04-2008, 19:21   #1
Guest 58780
Banned

Blade Runner -one for the experts

Blade Runner 1997 DVD

Blade Runner "Final Cut" 2007/8 2DVD

Could some kind soul/expert please confrim these are in fact diffferent and how are they different?

I've read so much about differences, versions and cuts, my head's spinning. I only need to know about the above though so no need to complicate things further.

Thanks!
Guest 58780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2008, 19:26   #2
nwgarratt
Trusted User

The original DVD is the Directors Cut and the new one is the Final Cut. That is the DC with subtle enhancements with cgi.

The old DVD also had a poor picture and the new one is a lot better. I think the old disc also only had DD 2.0 audio whereas the FC has a very nice 5.1 track

Last edited by nwgarratt; 16-04-2008 at 19:27.
nwgarratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2008, 19:31   #3
ourmatetone
PSN/XBL/Steam: tone217

As nwg said... the final cut DVD gives the film the treatment it truly deserves. It looks and sounds absolutely splendid, which is how a film like Blade Runner should.

As for changes to the film itself, very minor. Off the top of my head I can only think of revealing crane wires digitally removed from Spinners and a quick shot of some asian dancers in the Taffy Lewis club.

Last edited by ourmatetone; 16-04-2008 at 19:32.
ourmatetone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2008, 19:48   #4
Guest 52699
Banned

There's plenty changed, new cuts in places, writing fixed in shots (ie snake scale makers mark), obviously stunt doubles digitally altered, ben ford's mouth being shot to fix the dialogue scene with the snake dealer etc etc. The fact it's not obvious what the new footage is shows just how good it is.. it's a proper remaster where all the niggles have been removed and left us with a version I can't see anyone arguing with.

All the DVDs before hand weren't worth it (weren't even anamorphic from memory) despite the fact one of them was about £60 in a nice box.
Guest 52699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2008, 20:18   #5
nwgarratt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PockyMonster View Post

All the DVDs before hand weren't worth it (weren't even anamorphic from memory) despite the fact one of them was about £60 in a nice box.
The R2 I had was anamorphic but a awful transfer. It was watchable (just).

The final cut can be bought on its own for just £5 now from Play.com.
nwgarratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2008, 20:43   #6
ourmatetone

Quote:
There's plenty changed, new cuts in places, writing fixed in shots (ie snake scale makers mark), obviously stunt doubles digitally altered, ben ford's mouth being shot to fix the dialogue scene with the snake dealer etc etc. The fact it's not obvious what the new footage is shows just how good it is.. it's a proper remaster where all the niggles have been removed and left us with a version I can't see anyone arguing with.
Thanks for that. I had forgotten about Zhora's stunt double, didn't know about the rest.

[edit: Actually I knew about Harrison's son's contribution from the extra features.]

It's comparable to Alien Director's Cut, where there's changes that are extremely minor. Apart from that (from what I can remember), there's two additional short scenes and it loses another short scene but it still manages to be about five minutes shorter due to all the many tiny niggles that add up.

[edit: Just t clarify, that entire last paragraph was about Alien, not Blade Runner.]

Last edited by ourmatetone; 16-04-2008 at 20:45.
Old 16-04-2008, 22:02   #7
Niceguygeoff
I Do Deny Them My Essence

Quote:
Even the R1 (which was one of the very first DVDs ever released ever) was anamorphic, although it still looked like crap.

I got me one of them 'nice box' jobbies too, which (for me) was well worth it as it contains a one-sheet poster, shooting script, lobby cards and other junk. That's partly why I didn't get the Blade Runner box o' tat mk. 2 last year, because I've already got one.

As for Bobo's question, the actual film on the new DVD remains very much the same as that on the '97 DVD. But cosmetically it's a breed apart, with a gorgeous new HD transfer (from a 4K scan), the fixing of some world-class continuity errors and other flubs, and the addition of an incredibly detailed new sound mix.
Niceguygeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2008, 07:38   #8
Guest 58780
Banned

OK, people thanks for the great comments

It sounds good to go. Funny how I (we) was horrorfied at what Lucas did to the real Star Wars trilogy but I reckon that's because what he did was a complete disaster and unacceptable revisionism (there might be another -ism need on that ).

I have no problem with fixing technical or minor things but I just don't want to 'notice' to the extent I lose the memory of the original experience.

I think the Blade Runner DVD I have was in the first 2 or 3 DVDs I ever bought in the first few weeks of DVD being released and it was a beautiful experience after all the years of VHS.

10 years later...
Old 17-04-2008, 07:55   #9
Guest 58450
Poke Us White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKPiggott View Post
It's comparable to Alien Director's Cut, where there's changes that are extremely minor. Apart from that (from what I can remember), there's two additional short scenes and it loses another short scene but it still manages to be about five minutes shorter due to all the many tiny niggles that add up.
We shouldn't really compare them: he admits all over that it's not a Director's Cut at all, just an alternative cut requested by Fox that he was interested in doing. The original Alien cut is the Director's Cut and his preferred one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo Justus View Post
It sounds good to go. Funny how I (we) was horrorfied at what Lucas did to the real Star Wars trilogy but I reckon that's because what he did was a complete disaster and unacceptable revisionism (there might be another -ism need on that ).
Well that's just because of how far he went. Probably 90% of the changes made to the original films for the SEs are more than acceptable for the same reasons these 'fixes' are.
Guest 58450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2008, 08:41   #10
ourmatetone

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoGB View Post
We shouldn't really compare them: he admits all over that it's not a Director's Cut at all, just an alternative cut requested by Fox that he was interested in doing. The original Alien cut is the Director's Cut and his preferred one.
Yeah I know all that, I was mainly comparing how minor the differences are in both films. Obviously as it's a Ridley film, it was the first one that sprang to mind. Most casual viewers wouldn't know they were watching a new cut.

Quote:
Well that's just because of how far he went. Probably 90% of the changes made to the original films for the SEs are more than acceptable for the same reasons these 'fixes' are.
Definitely, but you've also got to be aware that studio intervention stood in the way with Blade Runner. Lucas never had that problem.

Last edited by ourmatetone; 17-04-2008 at 08:42.
Old 17-04-2008, 08:55   #11
Niceguygeoff

Quote:
Well that's just because of how far [Lucas] went. Probably 90% of the changes made to the original films for the SEs are more than acceptable for the same reasons these 'fixes' are.
This is true, and for me the good outweighs the bad. Admittedly there are some egregious additions that will irk fanboys forever more, yet many of the subtle cosmetic fixes have been unfairly overlooked. Ah well.

As for Alien, the slow burning original is the best edit, but I love the faster-paced not-really-Director's Cut too.
Old 17-04-2008, 09:28   #12
malcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceguygeoff View Post
This is true, and for me the good outweighs the bad. Admittedly there are some egregious additions that will irk fanboys forever more, yet many of the subtle cosmetic fixes have been unfairly overlooked. Ah well.

As for Alien, the slow burning original is the best edit, but I love the faster-paced not-really-Director's Cut too.
Also remember that Ridley has allowed all 5 versions of the film that have had any type of release (apart from the 2 different sneak preview versions - with further minor changes, as described in Future Noir book), to be restored and released to BD and DVD, with loads of deleted scenes.
Therefore you please all fans.

Lucas however grudgingly releases the original versions as unrestored laserdisc masters on non anamorphic DVD with none of the known to exist deleted scenes. Hence ******* off loads of the fans.

Very different in how the 2 treat their fans and how they embrace the DVD format.
malcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2008, 10:30   #13
Guest 3460
fallen english gent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceguygeoff View Post
I agree. The problem, I think, is that Lucas knew how CGI-heavy he was planning to make the prequels, but we, as an audience, didn't. So when he released the SE's of the original triology, a lot of us were aghast at how much he'd tinkered with the films (well, IV and VI mainly). That said, when viewed after having seen the prequels, the additional CGI and vistas in the SE's don't seem that OTT in comparison. And even that "hilarious" CGI'd dance routine in ROTJ doesn't seem as teeth-grating when compared with, say, Jar Jar. That all said, I think what erked a lot of fans (and I'm not rabid a one when it comes to Star Wars) is that, FX upgrading aside, Lucas tinkered with the story, for little reason (i.e. Greedo).

Quote:
The only problem I have with the so-called "director's cut" of Alien is that it loses one of my favourite scenes from the original version: when Dallas quizes Mother as to how to kill the alien, and what his chances are. I find this quite a chilling scene, and an effective character moment. Still, the remastered pic on this, and the original version, is a thing of beauty: each time I watch these DVDs I always find some new detail to marvel at. A work of genius and, as good as Bladerunner is, I still rate Alien as Scott's masterpiece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcy
Lucas however grudgingly releases the original versions as unrestored laserdisc masters on non anamorphic DVD with none of the known to exist deleted scenes. Hence ******* off loads of the fans.

Very different in how the 2 treat their fans and how they embrace the DVD format.
I think you've hit the nail very much square on the head! Ridley is, without a doubt, one of the best "adopters" of the full potential for DVD. It will be interesting to see how he adopts BR.

Last edited by gooseUK; 17-04-2008 at 10:31.
Guest 3460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2008, 11:04   #14
Niceguygeoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcy View Post
Also remember that Ridley has allowed all 5 versions of the film that have had any type of release (apart from the 2 different sneak preview versions - with further minor changes, as described in Future Noir book), to be restored and released to BD and DVD, with loads of deleted scenes.
Therefore you please all fans.

Lucas has a near-pathological dislike of the originals, hence his shabby treatment of them post '97. Even so, if the dude had any sense he would follow the formula set out by Charlie de Lauzirika and Ridley Scott with their gorgeous Blade Runner set.

Imagine a 15-disc set just for the original Star Wars trilogy.
Old 17-04-2008, 12:30   #15
ourmatetone

It's weird though Lucas is very keen on getting involved on all the extras and producing a commentary but he won't give the fans what they really want.
Old 17-04-2008, 13:10   #16
Guest 58780
Banned

I got all I ever want from Lucas when he released the films in the 'extras' on those 2 disc sets. I had to make them anamorphic (and fix the bad subs) and I'm very pleased with them. He might want to disown the filmS but many people don't.
Old 17-04-2008, 13:51   #17
Niceguygeoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKPiggott View Post
It's weird though Lucas is very keen on getting involved on all the extras and producing a commentary but he won't give the fans what they really want.
Well, given the public's understandably cool reception to the original version DVDs we won't be getting anything else anytime soon. LFL apparently had a 30th anniversary boxset in the works but they canned it because the originals sold so poorly.

Blade Runner Final Cut was the perfect opportunity to finally 'finish' that flick and provide a superb DVD set at the same time, and Lucas should use the intervening years (before the 35th anniversary) to put together something as definitive for all the Star Wars movies.

Last edited by Niceguygeoff; 17-04-2008 at 13:52.
Old 17-04-2008, 14:38   #18
ourmatetone

Agreed Geoff, we can but hope.
Old 17-04-2008, 15:43   #19
Guest 58780
Banned

OK, you guys have whetted my appetite. I've got 2 hours spare, it's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses errr... I'm off to watch the Final Cut right now.

If I'm not back by dark call the president
Old 17-04-2008, 15:46   #20
ourmatetone

Enjoy BJ!