Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 18-05-2005, 13:29   #21
bertieblueshirt
Trusted User

Thanks Dead Kenny for taking the time to explain that. One further question - what setting should my av-amp (I've got a Sony HTK250) be on to listen a dvd with 2.0 or 2.0 surround sound?

I usually select AFD which is supposed to select the best setting but there is also Pro-Logic1 and Pro-Logic2 settings, each with sub-settings such as 'music' and 'movie'?
bertieblueshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2005, 13:58   #22
anephric
Kidney Thief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Soprano
Are you talking about the legal tangled 3 disc version or a later release? I read that the main legal tangles come from Scott's ultimate directors cut, that he completed a while a go with new CGI effects (more spinners) and some scenes re-instated (some of the hospital sequence). I would love to see this cut, which has been completely restored and remastered. But sadly... (This page has details about the 3 disc and what was going to be included in Sir Scott's final cut )
The 3-disc is in utter, utter limbo, isn't it? For reasons pertaining to:

a) the inclusion of the Original cut and
b) the alteration of the DC (which I don't think was completed, unless you know different)

all pertaining to Perenchio not giving his permission for either to be released on dvd.

The last I heard (and I've given up caring now, really, because it's depressing) is that WB had abandoned any "immediate" plans for that to be released and were going to release a remastered 2-disc of the DC (with Kermode's "Edge of BR" doc and sundry other extras on the second disc).

That Holden hospital scene is at best throwaway and at worst detrimental and I'd prefer it remain as a deleted scene, tbh. It's included in Kermode's doc.

Is there any indication of the 2-disc DC on ANY release schedule? It was supposed to be this year, iirc. Surely WB shouldn't have any legal probs with that?

EDIT: all of which is discussed (since I've read it now) far more knowledgeably on that BR site. D'oh.

Last edited by anephric; 18-05-2005 at 14:04.
anephric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2005, 14:53   #23
orac
information is restricted

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertieblueshirt
Thanks Dead Kenny for taking the time to explain that. One further question - what setting should my av-amp (I've got a Sony HTK250) be on to listen a dvd with 2.0 or 2.0 surround sound?

I usually select AFD which is supposed to select the best setting but there is also Pro-Logic1 and Pro-Logic2 settings, each with sub-settings such as 'music' and 'movie'?
use prologic II...

also the hospital deleted scene on the kermode doc is only taken by a camera on a tv monitor - so not good quality..

What I don't understand is the R2 has been deleted, but it still avail on R1 (and very cheap).

Films you must see

Last edited by orac; 18-05-2005 at 14:56.
orac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2005, 15:16   #24
charlie angel
Trusted Schmoozer

Ok BR experts - a buddy of mine has never seen the film in any form; he has the old VHS theatrical cut release, I have the DC DVD - which should he start with? I haven't seen the theatrical cut, so can't give an informed opinion.
charlie angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2005, 15:27   #25
bertieblueshirt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie angel
Ok BR experts - a buddy of mine has never seen the film in any form; he has the old VHS theatrical cut release, I have the DC DVD - which should he start with? I haven't seen the theatrical cut, so can't give an informed opinion.
Director's Cut. No question.
Old 18-05-2005, 15:31   #26
Guest 29334
Filmmaker/A Big Film Fan

I too recomend the Director's Cut. (I have seen both versions but this cut is IMO significantly better.
Guest 29334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2005, 15:32   #27
Guest 993
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by orac
use prologic II...
What he said .

Though I don't have ProLogic II on my amp, I just use ProLogic. The sub settings like 'music' is just equaliser settings, you can set it to what you like really but I have mine on a particular movie mode on my Sony amp (I forget what it's called but it's something-something 'B' mode ), as other modes sound a bit flat. AFD on my Sony sometimes gets it right and sometimes doesn't, it depends what signal the DVD player sends to the amp, but often I end up with just 2 channel stereo and no surround, so I force it to that movie mode which is a ProLogic mode. It's often handy for 2.0 mono as well as it makes the sound come out of the centre speaker instead of the two fronts. For DD/DTS 5.1, etc I just leave it on AFD.
Guest 993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2005, 15:32   #28
Guest 15513
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie angel
If I hadn't seen either - I would like to see them in their release order.

Guest 15513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2005, 17:56   #29
Guest 29917
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadKenny
It's excatly how the audio was presented at the cinema. Dolby Digital came in long after Blade Runner was released, so it only ever had a 2.0 surround track (aka Dolby Stereo in cinema terminology, even though that can mean surround).
Don't forget the Dolby 6-Track on the 70mm prints for the original release. Discrete 4.2 I would expect.

I really hope this is going to be shown on the big screen

Why isn't this new rating showing up on the BBFC site?
Guest 29917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2005, 18:20   #30
Guest 993
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinnsey
Don't forget the Dolby 6-Track on the 70mm prints for the original release. Discrete 4.2 I would expect.
Good point . Just found some info on it here...

http://www.in70mm.com/lists/blow_up/year/1982.htm

It depends how they source the 6 track audio though for the prints and whether that audio still exists as there seems to have only been a few 70mm prints made (plus sourcing the DVD audio off the prints would be bad, they'd need the original masters used for the 6 track and it depends if they still exist). The majority of the world only got 2 track Dolby Stereo via 35mm prints (even with the Directors Cut I believe, though would have been Dolby Stereo SR by then I guess).
Guest 993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2005, 19:28   #31
anephric
Kidney Thief

I, too, would love to see this theatrically, seeing as how I sold my Criterion LD many moons ago...
Old 18-05-2005, 19:43   #32
Guest 155
Trusted User

Quote:
What he said .

Though I don't have ProLogic II on my amp, I just use ProLogic. The sub settings like 'music' is just equaliser settings, you can set it to what you like really but I have mine on a particular movie mode on my Sony amp (I forget what it's called but it's something-something 'B' mode ), as other modes sound a bit flat. AFD on my Sony sometimes gets it right and sometimes doesn't, it depends what signal the DVD player sends to the amp, but often I end up with just 2 channel stereo and no surround, so I force it to that movie mode which is a ProLogic mode. It's often handy for 2.0 mono as well as it makes the sound come out of the centre speaker instead of the two fronts. For DD/DTS 5.1, etc I just leave it on AFD.
Just to confuse matters, some DD2.0 discs have the surround information digitally encoded and some don't. The only way I can tell (without playing them) is via the "View Information" flag on PowerDVD on my DVD-ROM drive, which calls the former "Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround" and the latter "Dolby Digital 2.0". I always play the latter in Prologic mode and it comes out as either mono via the centre speaker or 4-channel Dolby Surround (left, centre, right, mono surround), depending on the film.

"Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround" soundtracks I play in Dolby Digital mode - the result is the same: L, C, R, S.

I make a point of distinguishing between these (and between DD2.0 mono and DD1.0) in my reviews. Although a lot of these films (which tend to fall in between the arrival of Dolby Stereo and the the digital sound era, i.e. from the early 80s to the early 90s) have sound mixes are fairly basic (i.e. music in surround and maybe a few direction effects but basically monophonic) I have heard some quite elaborate Dolby Surround tracks - the Australian film Idiot Box comes to mind.
Guest 155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2005, 19:47   #33
Guest 155
Trusted User

Quote:
Good point . Just found some info on it here...

http://www.in70mm.com/lists/blow_up/year/1982.htm

It depends how they source the 6 track audio though for the prints and whether that audio still exists as there seems to have only been a few 70mm prints made (plus sourcing the DVD audio off the prints would be bad, they'd need the original masters used for the 6 track and it depends if they still exist). The majority of the world only got 2 track Dolby Stereo via 35mm prints (even with the Directors Cut I believe, though would have been Dolby Stereo SR by then I guess).
Interesting link, thanks. I'm pretty certain a 70mm print was shown in London at what is now the Odeon Covent Garden in Shaftesbury Avenue. (I can't remember what it was called in 1982.) I didn't see it there, but I know people who did.

And just to nitpick, the OAR of Days of Heaven is 2:1, not 1.85:1, according to DP Nestor Almendros. I'm willing to bet it's never been shown that way though.
Guest 155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2005, 20:32   #34
grimley
Apprentice Time Lord..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Couzens
Interesting link, thanks. I'm pretty certain a 70mm print was shown in London at what is now the Odeon Covent Garden in Shaftesbury Avenue. (I can't remember what it was called in 1982.) I didn't see it there, but I know people who did.
IIRC the Cinemas name was the ABC Shaftesbury Avenue & it was the flagship of the chain (I worked for ABC cinemas in the mid 80's & my manager(s) at the time got to go to the odd film premiere there)

BTW I wish WB would bite the bullet & do a re-release with better PQ & a 5.1 soundtrack - I don't care what version it is, the current release is pants

Perenchio, Scott & WB - please make this happen, yours from a BR fan

Last edited by grimley; 18-05-2005 at 20:38.
grimley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2005, 22:47   #35
Guest 1339
Trusted User

I hate to be devils advocate but i really like the original cut of the movie
i got a copy of criterions laserdisc and must say i much prefer it.
Its the version i remember with voiceover and 'happy' ending etc there was nowt wrong with it when i saw it in the cinema and nowt wrong now, this cut made the movie a classic, i cannot say i like scotts constant re-jigging of old work.
Pity theres no official release for the orig cut , for people who have only experienced the directors cut i think it would be very interesting for them.
Guest 1339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2005, 23:44   #36
KeyserSoze
Trusted User

that eye gouging scene in the Criterion cut is one of the nastiest things ive seen. Id actually rather see it cut !
KeyserSoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2005, 02:40   #37
Guest 50025
"Duck, you sucker!"

I love Blade Runner, but have only seen the '92 DC. For years I've wanted to see the original TC, for the detective noir voiceovers (couldn't give a toss about the original happy ending) - I love crime noir.

What exactly happens in the happy ending? My older brother told me that
That accurate?
Guest 50025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2005, 06:27   #38
bertieblueshirt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvaUnit02
I love Blade Runner, but have only seen the '92 DC. For years I've wanted to see the original TC, for the detective noir voiceovers (couldn't give a toss about the original happy ending) - I love crime noir.

What exactly happens in the happy ending? My older brother told me that
That accurate?
Yes.
Old 19-05-2005, 07:33   #39
anephric
Kidney Thief

It's almost as bad as the alternative "happy" ending to Brazil in the US cut.
Old 19-05-2005, 08:01   #40
orac
information is restricted

I have prologic I and II on my amp and II is far far better.. astounded at what it does with a simple left and right phono input..

Reminds me since I got it I haven't tried the entire film (BR) in II.. must try that..
orac is offline   Reply With Quote