Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 18-05-2005, 10:27   #1
bertieblueshirt
Trusted User

Blade Runner uncut!

The Melonfarmer's website reports that a version of Blade Runner has recently passed through the BBFC with extra gore footage that was excised from all previous releases! It looks like the uncut print is going to be doing the festival curcuit this year. Full article here:

http://www.melonfarmers.co.uk/latest...unner_Restored
bertieblueshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2005, 10:31   #2
anephric
Kidney Thief

I'm assuming (Melonfarmers=NSFW) that's the "Euro cut" previously released by Criterion-Voyager on laserdisc.

It has more Tyrell eye-gouging, Pris dealing out damage to Deckard, nail through Batty's hand etc etc.
anephric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2005, 10:40   #3
bertieblueshirt
Trusted User

Yes mate, that's the long and short of it. It was big news to me cos I didn't even know that a Euro cut existed. As well as the inclusions you mentioned the Pris death scene is bloodier. All good news as far as I'm concerned!
Old 18-05-2005, 10:46   #4
anephric
Kidney Thief

Yeah, Deckard shoots her more (three times in total, I think, rather than twice). There's also an "exaggerated" sound effect that more kinetically implies just how "broken" Deckard's nose is when Pris thumps him.

I think it was released on VHS in the US as well, iirc.

I'd kill for this on dvd. Which is pie-in-the-sky, I know...

Last edited by anephric; 18-05-2005 at 10:47.
Old 18-05-2005, 10:49   #5
Jonnof
another man's pretentious

Do you think I might upset anyone by charging out of the cinema with my eyes closed and fingers in my ears as soon as the lift door closes?
Jonnof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2005, 10:52   #6
bertieblueshirt
Trusted User

Four times in total actually.

I too got excited about the possibility of seeing an uncut dvd. Is it worth crossing fingers?
Old 18-05-2005, 10:53   #7
anephric
Kidney Thief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnof
Do you think I might upset anyone by charging out of the cinema with my eyes closed and fingers in my ears as soon as the lift door closes?
If you did so, I might be tempted to shout "You've done a man's job, sir!" very loudly..

Last edited by anephric; 18-05-2005 at 10:54.
Old 18-05-2005, 10:54   #8
anephric
Kidney Thief

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertieblueshirt
Four times in total actually.

I too got excited about the possibility of seeing an uncut dvd. Is it worth crossing fingers?
Not given the current state of play regarding rights and a certain mean billionaire called Pinocchio or somesuch

I don't think Scott is even interested in this cut, btw: it's only an "alternative" version (BR isn't actually "cut" - this version was produced to appeal to punters in more "decadent" countries).

Last edited by anephric; 18-05-2005 at 10:57.
Old 18-05-2005, 11:00   #9
anephric
Kidney Thief

Why is this in Classic, btw? I thought it was only pre-1980 in here?
Old 18-05-2005, 11:00   #10
bertieblueshirt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by anephric
Not given the current state of play regarding rights and a certain mean billionaire called Pinnochio or somesuch
Looks like I'll have to make do with my R1 then. While I'm on it, my R1 BR dvd is Dolby Digital 2.0 surround sound with the rears only very occationally kicking in. What's all that about then? How does it differ from a usual 5.1 mix?
Old 18-05-2005, 11:03   #11
charlie angel
Trusted Schmoozer

What exactly is 'the festival circuit'? Will it not go on general release? I want to see it on the big screen dagnabbit!
charlie angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2005, 11:06   #12
Jonnof

Quote:
If you did so, I might be tempted to shout "You've done a man's job, sir!" very loudly..
It's a date then

There aren't any 5.1 mixes for the existing releases - seems it wasn't a priority at the time (1998 or whenever it was...) That will obviously change when the new version is released (in direct-brain-implant format in 2048).
Old 18-05-2005, 11:17   #13
Guest 18455
Trusted User

Quote:
Not given the current state of play regarding rights and a certain mean billionaire called Pinocchio or somesuch
I though that this problem was with regards to an all new cut not the existing cuts, or am I mistaken?
Guest 18455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2005, 11:46   #14
anephric
Kidney Thief

I think WB were okay rights-wise releasing the DC, and not any other version (original, Euro) as they planned to have both versions (DC and original) in a set but Big Evil Pinocchio , he say noooooooo.

I haven't got a clue what the current situation is, seeing as the 2-disc DC-only set seems to have vanished from the radar.
Old 18-05-2005, 12:10   #15
Guest 993
Trusted User

Quote:
Looks like I'll have to make do with my R1 then. While I'm on it, my R1 BR dvd is Dolby Digital 2.0 surround sound with the rears only very occationally kicking in. What's all that about then? How does it differ from a usual 5.1 mix?
It's excatly how the audio was presented at the cinema. Dolby Digital came in long after Blade Runner was released, so it only ever had a 2.0 surround track (aka Dolby Stereo in cinema terminology, even though that can mean surround). Such tracks are often weaker than the discrete Dolby Digital tracks (lack of dynamic range), and also in those days they used surround for more subtle purposes (as it should be, rather than the whiz-bang OTT surround effects these days).

Still sounds good, but the bigger problem is the crap transfer.

So I take it from Jonnof's response that this uncut version is based on the original inc voice over and happy ending with cutting room floor footage from The Shining?

Last edited by DeadKenny; 18-05-2005 at 12:12.
Guest 993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2005, 12:15   #16
anephric
Kidney Thief

Yep: it's almost exactly the same as the "original" cut (even though this was prepared alongside it, so hence is an "original" cut too) and was released in some foreign markets as the theatrical version.

Basically, the biggest difference is in the Tyrell killing: where Scott cuts away to Batty's reaction shot in the Original version, in the Euro version we get thumbs sinking deeply into eye sockets, blood squirting etc.

Yummy.
Old 18-05-2005, 12:23   #17
bertieblueshirt
Trusted User

Thanks Dead Kenny. Can I ask, what is a discrete track?

Anephric - boo! I thought it would be the Director's Cut with added violence. Not quite so keen on seeing the restored original cut with "that" ending. Almost as bad as The Vanishing remake
Old 18-05-2005, 12:31   #18
Jonnof

Quote:
Not quite so keen on seeing the restored original cut with "that" ending. Almost as bad as The Vanishing remake
Fear not, I will be at the door handing out my patented AntiHappyEndingHelmets™, which automatically activate at the crucial 1 hr 52 minute mark* cutting off your ears and gouging out your eyes.

*timing subject to final calibration
Old 18-05-2005, 12:41   #19
Guest 29334
Filmmaker/A Big Film Fan

Quote:
I think WB were okay rights-wise releasing the DC, and not any other version (original, Euro) as they planned to have both versions (DC and original) in a set but Big Evil Pinocchio , he say noooooooo.
Are you talking about the legal tangled 3 disc version or a later release? I read that the main legal tangles come from Scott's ultimate directors cut, that he completed a while a go with new CGI effects (more spinners) and some scenes re-instated (some of the hospital sequence). I would love to see this cut, which has been completely restored and remastered. But sadly... (This page has details about the 3 disc and what was going to be included in Sir Scott's final cut )

Last edited by Tony Soprano; 18-05-2005 at 13:33.
Guest 29334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2005, 12:54   #20
Guest 993
Trusted User

Quote:
Thanks Dead Kenny. Can I ask, what is a discrete track?
Discrete as in each channel on a 5.1 soundtrack is an individual channel, i.e. no channel has information for another channel.

With 2.0 surround there are just two tracks and the surround and front channel information is all mixed in those two tracks (it's all to do with a very Star Trekkie sounding term: phase inversion , but basically a surround decoder, such a ProLogic in home cinema systems, can extract the rear channels that are hidden away in the 2 channels). Therefore the surround channels are said to be non-discrete.

Though things get different with the newer 6 and 7 channel digital systems which can embed further rear channels within 5.1 channels
Guest 993 is offline   Reply With Quote