Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 06-03-2007, 19:05   #21
Guest 57028
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinéKarine
Yes indeed, as an avid film reader, like everyone here I suspect, I love Capra's autobiography. And we can even keep this thread on topic with this as Warner reacquired Meet John Doe this year I believe This is my favorite Capra film ever - still extremely potent and powerful today - so many aspects of it are even truer today than when it was originally made. One of my fondest wishes is certainly that it will show up in a Stanwyck or Cooper set as it contains my favorite performances ever by both of them.

One of the many things that separates the Capra films from other feel-good films and makes them enjoyable for people who would not be caught dead watching sentimental (corny) films is that they are so deeply rooted in reality. The protagonists go through an awful lot of turmoil and often become dissilusioned before they realize that life is good after all and that the good eggs far outnumber the bad ones.
CinéKarine, that news about Meet John Doe really made my day! (I just introduced a friend to the film last week, and now that I know what is possible, restoration-wise, I couldn't help apologizing to her for the film's sorry condition, in PD transfers...)

MJD is definitely one of my favourite Capras too... I vacillate on the question of which film I like best--a fact that I'm certain would shock the friends who've attended my It's A Wonderful Life parties over the years (Dec 2007's will be the 15th annual!)... MJD is certainly notable for the amount of anguish that is visible in the attempt to resolve an irresolvable storyline, and I love it for that! But I also love all four of the films he did with Stanwyck in the early thirties (none of which are available on R1 DVDs!)... At any rate, they get my vote hands down for the greatest director-star combo!
Guest 57028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 22:56   #22
Guest 53019
Trusted User

Yes, it IS nice when there are people who post here who actually have knowledge of what film color is supposed to look like, based on having seen most of the films during their original release and having owned hundreds upon hundreds of IB Technicolor 35mm and 16mm prints. I know that that's disturbing to some here - why it would be disturbing is the question. Even Mr. RAH has acknowledged that at least one person posting here knows exactly what he's talking about in terms of color and yes that person would be me. Not that that's good enough for some folks around these here parts.
Guest 53019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 11:59   #23
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

In the first post in this thread, Warners have said they are working on an ultra-rez restoration of Quo Vadis, probably for release next year - however, Amazon UK is showing an August R2 release - here - of a 2-disc set, but from a company I've never of, Liberation Entertainment; caveat emptor!
John Hodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 18:38   #24
Guest 47807
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hodson View Post
In the first post in this thread, Warners have said they are working on an ultra-rez restoration of Quo Vadis, probably for release next year - however, Amazon UK is showing an August R2 release - here - of a 2-disc set, but from a company I've never of, Liberation Entertainment; caveat emptor!
I think Amazon have got their wires crossed over the credits. This can't be the M-G-M film. It is almost certainly either the 1985 or the 2001 TV mini-series of QUO VADIS.

Last edited by Douglas R; 01-06-2007 at 18:39.
Guest 47807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 05:12   #25
Guest 45586
Trusted User

There was a Polish TV version of the Polish novel and like all things Polish, it's probably coming our way! Good news - a friend once gave me a rather dupey looking VHS of it but I thought thisit was pretty good, far better than the MGM version, and had some fairly astonishing arena scenes. I took a look at the MGM version the other day on BBC2 - a nice print, but what a terrible, tedious sanctimonious bore picture that is. Taylor and Kerr are toe-curling to behold. There's the music and Ustinov camping it up and the occasional decadent ovehead camera angle but that's all IMO.
Guest 45586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:24   #26
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas R View Post
I think Amazon have got their wires crossed over the credits. This can't be the M-G-M film. It is almost certainly either the 1985 or the 2001 TV mini-series of QUO VADIS.
Confusion all around, Amazon.co.uk continues to carry it with the details on the Mann/LeRoy epic, The Beaver has just added it to his release list as such, and while MovieMail also gives details of the '51 film, their shot of the cover art reveals that, yes indeedy, it's the 1985 TV mini-series.

Last edited by John Hodson; 11-07-2007 at 09:24.
John Hodson is offline   Reply With Quote