Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 12-09-2003, 14:27   #1
Guest 33835
Banned

Ridley Scott non-committal on new Blade Runner DVD

Just heard an interview with RS on 5Live.

It sounds like a 3-disc set IS coming but Scott doesn't know when.

Mark Kermode says it will happen (and he will be on it) but whether extra scenes such as the Holden hospital sequence is unclear.

Sounds to me like we're in for a long wait
Guest 33835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 15:54   #2
earl_roberts2002

I heard that Ridley Scott's super-duper finalised version hasn't even been started yet, after all this time! So on top of all of this being recut, restored and having new sound effects done, ILM will then have to do all there work on it and then a commentary will have to be recorded on top of all that for the 3 disc DVD. It's a loooong time away!
earl_roberts2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 19:33   #3
Guest 1800
no, i dont have 3 nipples

Guest 1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 19:39   #4
beebul
--- Pom in Oz----✈

*Sigh*
beebul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2003, 00:38   #5
Guest 2922
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally posted by earl_roberts2002
I heard that Ridley Scott's super-duper finalised version hasn't even been started yet, after all this time!
Can't quite believe that myself, as there have been many reports that work began on the DVD's ages ago and the set is nearly ready for release. The main thing that seems to be holding it back are 'legal reasons', the details of which remain a mystery to those who are most eager to get their hands on this set - us lot!

Quote:
ILM will then have to do all there work on it and then a commentary will have to be recorded on top of all that for the 3 disc DVD
ILM? Are they involved? Surely it would be Douglas Trumbull who would supervise any new/additions to his FX work?

As far as I know, Scott has stated in a couple of interviews that he has recorded his commentary track for the set already. Of course there may be other people involved in recording further commentary tracks, which may be delaying things a bit, but I don't think this would be the main reason for the hold up.

Last edited by CrazyHorse; 13-09-2003 at 00:45.
Guest 2922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2003, 11:26   #6
Guest 8645
Banned

I posted this in the Alien Quadroligy thread - but Scott hasn't even done his directors cut yet. Not the one the studio touts around as the Dir Cut but the true one, the one that only exists in Scott's head.
Guest 8645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2003, 15:07   #7
Niceguygeoff
I Do Deny Them My Essence

It's a shame that Warner didn't give Ridley the time to do his final cut in 1991, then we'd have a (slightly) shorter wait for it on dvd. Ah well. It's also a shame that Scott has been busy re-cutting a film (Alien) that, by all accounts, simply didn't need fooling with - while Blade Runner sits on a back-burner. But when (if?) it arrives, it'll be worth the wait.
Niceguygeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2003, 18:12   #8
Guest 33835
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Niceguygeoff
It's also a shame that Scott has been busy re-cutting a film (Alien) that, by all accounts, simply didn't need fooling with - while Blade Runner sits on a back-burner.
Good point about Alien. Let's hope Scott doesn't do a Cameron - sometimes more is less
Old 14-09-2003, 11:01   #9
Guest 1253
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally posted by FBI
Good point about Alien. Let's hope Scott doesn't do a Cameron - sometimes more is less
If you are referring to T2, then at least the consumer was given the choice via seamless branching of watching whichever version they preferred - I only wish Premier Asia had taken that initiative with Musa (The Warrior) as, apparently, the missing scenes are now deleted scenes in the extra features
Guest 1253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2003, 11:09   #10
spearce8
Enoch was right.

Quote:
Originally posted by FBI
And just think

Lucus will do the same with the Original Star Wars trilogy, adding new bits
spearce8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2003, 11:17   #11
Guest 3656
Monkey Spanker

Quote:
Originally posted by FBI
But the new director's cut of 'Alien' is SHORTER than the theatrical version
Guest 3656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2003, 15:23   #12
Guest 33835
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Jorin
If you are referring to T2, then at least the consumer was given the choice via seamless branching of watching whichever version they preferred - I only wish Premier Asia had taken that initiative with Musa (The Warrior) as, apparently, the missing scenes are now deleted scenes in the extra features
I was actually referring to Aliens - a favourite film of mine which Cameron quite unnecessarily tinkered with just so that a "Special edition" DVD could be released.

"Special Edition" yeah yeah
Old 14-09-2003, 22:07   #13
Guest 35072

This is the gayest thing I have ever heard. Now we are getting the Official “Director’s Cut” of the “Director’s Cut” of Alien; a movie that btw needs no cutting what so ever in my opinion. So what the hell is Mr. Scott up to? All the long BR just sits self side because of legal issues, yeah right! Legal issues = somebody doesn’t want to pay X amount of dollars to somebody else for some certain something. And after all that, we will ultimately have another “Director’s Cut” of the Director’s Cut” BR which btw needs no cutting what so ever! I’m starting to see a trend! And to top it all off Warner Brothers is not even calling the DVD by that name. Everybody was so confused as to what to name the DVD cause of all the many versions of the film that they actually decided to just call it: Blade Runner. WOW! That was such an original idea I gotta go lay down. Even more gay than all of that, is the fact that in the end I will give them what ever amount of money they ask for. Why you ask? cause I’m a sheep of marketing.
Guest 35072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2003, 06:46   #14
dunkrag
Captain Sanctimonious

Quote:
Originally posted by User Name
This is the gayest thing I have ever heard. Now we are getting the Official “Director’s Cut” of the “Director’s Cut” of Alien; a movie that btw needs no cutting what so ever in my opinion. So what the hell is Mr. Scott up to? All the long BR just sits self side because of legal issues, yeah right! Legal issues = somebody doesn’t want to pay X amount of dollars to somebody else for some certain something. And after all that, we will ultimately have another “Director’s Cut” of the Director’s Cut” BR which btw needs no cutting what so ever! I’m starting to see a trend! And to top it all off Warner Brothers is not even calling the DVD by that name. Everybody was so confused as to what to name the DVD cause of all the many versions of the film that they actually decided to just call it: Blade Runner. WOW! That was such an original idea I gotta go lay down. Even more gay than all of that, is the fact that in the end I will give them what ever amount of money they ask for. Why you ask? cause I’m a sheep of marketing.
Too much caffine? :blah:
dunkrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2003, 20:17   #15
Guest 29592
Brian, King Of The Jews

I must have had too much coffee myself, I have these strange visions about me releasing one of the hands I was using to grab George's neck and grabbing Ridley's neck with it.

Anyone else out there wanting to make some more cuts and changes and add some more CGI ?

Oh well, as long as the unedited originals are also offered I really don't give a da... couldn't care less.

Last edited by ice-angel; 15-09-2003 at 20:22.
Guest 29592 is offline   Reply With Quote