Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Books and Comics Discussion

Notices

Old 14-01-2007, 10:14   #21
Guest 1253

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexMundi
I listened to the audiobook version, it's really good. The whole style of it works really well in that format, the cast isn't too shabby either.
I tried to find the audiobook version for my mother, who sadly is no longer able to read. Can you suggest where I can get a copy?

EDIT: World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War [ABRIDGED] [AUDIOBOOK] (Audio CD) is a good place to start

However, http://scifi.about.com/od/bookreview...wzombierev.htm

"The audiobook's abridgement of the story does cause some disappointments. There is mention of rebel groups and isolated people (cleverly referred to as "L-Moes" AKA "Last Man On Earth") staving off the war on their own, but we don’t get to hear any of their voices. I would have loved an account from one of the American secessionists or the view of any number of religious peoples."

Last edited by Jorin; 14-01-2007 at 12:41.
Old 22-01-2007, 08:56   #22
Guest 52093

I bought this book after the recommendations here and after reading three quarters of it over the weekend, I've found it the most gripping book I've read in some time. Darkly funny, sad, exciting and most of all horrific, I can't recommend it highly enough.
The film rights have been bought by Brad Pitt's production company Plan B after out bidding Leonardo DiCaprio's company Appian Way and Plan B will be making the film through Paramount. Any film will have to be heavily adapted though. I guess the film will just be inspired by the book or take a couple of the short stories and merge them into a single plotline. I hope that doesn't lose the global feel that the book has though. The Battle of Yonkers, millions of zombies attacking the U.S. army's last stand would make a hell of an action scene.
Old 22-01-2007, 10:17   #23
MetalGearAl
Trusted User

If someone would be so kind, click
MetalGearAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2007, 15:59   #24
SqueakyG
Trusted User

I'm a good way through the book now, and it's excellent. Every story has an imaginative zombie moment... a memorable visual. I wonder how the film adaption can ever match up to it. There are a hundred zombie "moments" that are just as cool as the best scenes in the best zombie films, but I don't know how it could be made into a coherent film itself.
SqueakyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2007, 16:16   #25
SIMON ADEBISI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Jet
I bought this book after the recommendations here and after reading three quarters of it over the weekend, I've found it the most gripping book I've read in some time. Darkly funny, sad, exciting and most of all horrific, I can't recommend it highly enough.
The film rights have been bought by Brad Pitt's production company Plan B after out bidding Leonardo DiCaprio's company Appian Way and Plan B will be making the film through Paramount. Any film will have to be heavily adapted though. I guess the film will just be inspired by the book or take a couple of the short stories and merge them into a single plotline. I hope that doesn't lose the global feel that the book has though. The Battle of Yonkers, millions of zombies attacking the U.S. army's last stand would make a hell of an action scene.
HBO mini series ala Band Of Brothers. Only realistic way it can be properly adapted!!!
SIMON ADEBISI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2007, 16:30   #26
SpaceCoyote
Trusted User

Would a BoB-esque mini series cost more or less to produce than a film?
SpaceCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2007, 16:31   #27
SIMON ADEBISI

Depends on the actors they cast probably.
SIMON ADEBISI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2007, 08:39   #28
Guest 52093

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON ADEBISI
HBO mini series ala Band Of Brothers. Only realistic way it can be properly adapted!!!
Although I agree that a mini-series would be the best way to go with World War Z, the gore quota would have to be drastically reduced. Maybe a trilogy of films would do the story justice?
Old 25-01-2007, 11:29   #29
Guest 8088

Finished this today.

Absolutely awesome.

Cheers for making me aware of this great book guys
Old 25-01-2007, 12:20   #30
jerryg
Trusted User

I read it just before Xmas and loved it.

Well thought out. I think that part of it is based on how an actual epidemic would spread. So that is scary in itself.

I've heard it is being made into a film. I think (and don't quote me) that Brad Pitt's movie company has bought the rights. Didn't even know he had a film company. But there are lots of things I don't know.
jerryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2007, 18:24   #31
Bish

I finished this last night and while I enjoyed it I wouldn't say it was great and it provided a snapshot of World War Z rather than a more comprehensive story. I found far too many of the interviews too short although the couple mentioned by joconnor were great. Personally I'd have preferred a smaller number of stories/interviews but more in depth.

I think an unabridged audiobook with a good cast would be the best way to enjoy this. You can hear some spoken excerpts from the book via the world map here. Are these the same voices as used in the abridged audiobook?
Bish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2007, 20:39   #32
misskittyfantastic
Trusted User

The OH bought this and when he's not reading it I pick it up. I've read about 100 pages and I'm loving it. It's clearly been very well researched and Brooks has done a great job making it all sound so plausible. It's quite creepy in places.
misskittyfantastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2007, 15:59   #33
MetalGearAl
Trusted User

Decided I couldn't wait for a second hand copy to appear, so bought it at full price off Amazon (still a good few quid cheap than in shops).

Only 60 pages in so far but it seems very good and quite gripping, can't wait until it goes into it further.
MetalGearAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2007, 16:16   #34
Guest 34925

Nearly finished it and its great, will be sorry to see it end.

Makes you stop and think what you would do and what your chances would be hehe!
Old 21-02-2007, 16:54   #35
Mr Majestik
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by misskittyfantastic
I've read about 100 pages and I'm loving it. It's clearly been very well researched .
I enjoyed it but i found it too well researched. Far too many times the flow of the book stoped as you got a section that was straight out of a text book.

Apart from that very good and he does come up with some new intresting zombie ideas.

I'd imagine if they do film they'll have to do in disaster movie style and have a few stories that contect at the end with the U.S President storyline forming the backbone of the plot.

Last edited by Mr Majestik; 21-02-2007 at 16:56.
Mr Majestik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2007, 18:04   #36
Guest 849

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunkie
Nearly finished it and its great, will be sorry to see it end.

Makes you stop and think what you would do and what your chances would be hehe!
Fancy selling your copy on when finished ?
Old 21-02-2007, 19:03   #37
SpaceCoyote
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Majestik
I enjoyed it but i found it too well researched. Far too many times the flow of the book stoped as you got a section that was straight out of a text book.
My sentiments exactly - it feels sometimes that he is trying to prove to the reader that he has done lots of research and that we should be very aware and grateful for it.

Still I absolutely loved the book and am regretting selling it on. Still I have the audio version to keep me company now.

Last edited by SpaceCoyote; 21-02-2007 at 19:04.
SpaceCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2007, 19:13   #38
Guest 34925

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Durden
Fancy selling your copy on when finished ?

will drop u a mail tomorrow from work as i should be finished it by then
Old 28-02-2007, 21:03   #39
Mr Majestik
Trusted User

Film update on chud.com

Quote:
At New York Comic-Con over the weekend, Babylon 5 creator Michael Straczynski announced he was the choice for penning the screenplay for Brad Pitt's production company, Plan B. Straczynski even added a note that Pitt might star. While a direct adaptation of the book is a sure-fire ensemble piece, Straczynski noted they'll have to coagulate the narrative in an effort to tie places and events into a movie-appropriate storyline , with a character the audience can follow through the film. As a book, WWZ's stories have no central character (beyond a non-descript narrator) and come from Japan, Russia, Iran, Israel, Afghanistan, India, Pacific Islands, the US and China.

Still, with all the non-linear story-telling that's been successfully reintroduced lately, I don't see why a linear take is a must-have. Still, Straczynski noted, "I'm being very faithful to the book, letter by letter when I can, and I'm on about page 70 right now and I'm really happy with it. I'm really pleased with it actually, so if that goes well we might go into production on that one."

Straczynski' quote is what's got me all anticipatory. There's segments of the book which are nightmarishly visceral set pieces and would translate into fan-wanks aplenty when translated to the screen. Scenes including an undead army of millions versus the US Army of the future at a pivotal battle in Yonkers and an Indian shipyard burning in the night as folks scramble to escape the zombie onslaught that's coming from land and sea, to name just two.
Mr Majestik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2007, 21:35   #40
Spooky_uk
XBL/PSN : SPOOKYVILLE

more info.

Quote:
J. Michael Straczynski, the man who created what remains one of TV most complex serial dramas "Babylon 5", is set to write the adaptation of "World War Z" by Max Brooks for Paramount Pictures reports IGN.

The novel, a clever collection of retrospective interview anecdotes, covers the accounts of nearly four dozen people from all walks of life who played different parts in a virus pandemic that turned most of the world's population into zombies and threatened to overwhelm the globe until we fought back.

Various chapters have some strong political bents - an ex-Apartheid official develops an inhumane but effective solution to the zombie plagues, Israel undergoes a controversial self-quarantine, North America becomes a wasteland whilst Cuba prospers, and China is essentially responsible for the outbreak thanks to the ecological disruption caused by the Three Gorges Dam.

"I'm adapting that for Paramount. For Brad Pitt potentially -- we'll see what happens. He might be the star in it. It's very political, very smart, very cagey" says Straczynski.

The main problem of course is structure - each chapter deals with a different character in a different situation so he is constructing the film around the interviewer who will travel from place to place visiting people.

He adds "I'm being very faithful to the book, letter by letter when I can, and I'm on about page 70 right now and I'm really happy with it".
Spooky_uk is offline   Reply With Quote