Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Notices

Old 16-10-2002, 02:14   #1
Guest 4439

Thumbs up To clear up the E.T. R1 release confusion once and for all

I know I should have included this in an existing thread, but since a lot of people want answers about whats going on, does it or does it not include the 1982 cut, how are the extras affected etc, I thought it would be easier to post a new thread so people can find it easy.

I've just today got a copy of the Canadian R1 2 disc limited collectors edition. YES it does include the original 1982 cut as well, but the only drawback is a couple of the main extras had to be sacrificed to fit the 1982 cut on the second disc. The brand new 50min long documentry 'The Evolution & Creation of E.T' and 'The Music of John Williams' featurette, had to be removed, which is a shame because I was REALLY looking forward to watching these documentries. Instead, they have been replaced by a 30 minute 'Spotlight on Location: The Making of E.T.' featurette, which to me looks like the same 20th Anniversary promo which was played on Sky Movies to promote the cinema release.

Packaging is a foldout concertina (hope I spelt that right) style digipack, and being Canadian its printed in bi-lingual English & French. There is no sleeve to keep it nice and closed. Disc one is printed with a single colour moon texture which shows through the window on the front, to give the impression of it being part of the E.T. cover art. Disc 2 is printed full colour with a picture of Spielberg and E.T.

Inside is a full colour 8 page foldout leaflet with some behind the scenes pics and info, Scene selection (20 chapters), plus listings of both discs contents.

Because it was a late decision to include the 1982 cut on the 2 disc version, the changes are not reflected on the packaging. The only way you can tell that it includes the 1982 cut is a small sticker on the front with tiny writing that says 'Includes 2002 feature and original release'. And since the packaging was'nt reprinted to reflect the changes, the extras listed on the back are misleading. According to the back of the box 'The Evolution & Creation of E.T' documentry and 'The Music of John Williams' featurette are included, but they are not to be found anywhere on the discs.

Instead what they have done is, reprinted the leaflet that comes inside the box which DOES reflect the new changes. But this does'nt help too much since you have to buy it and rip the wrapping open before you realise that 2 of the main documentries are missing and been replaced with a smaller featurette.

So here are the ACTUAL contents that come on each disc:

DISC 1:

E.T. 2002 Feature Film

English DTS 5.1 ES
English Dolby Digital 5.1 EX
French Dolby Digital 5.1 EX

* A Special introduction by Steven Spielberg.
* Live Performance of John Williams Conducting the Orchestra at the 2002 Premiere of E.T.
* The 2002 Theatrical Premiere: A rare, exclusive look at the preparation, rehearsal and performance of John Williams conducting the orchestra at the 2002 premiere.
* An Exciting Space Exploration. (Its a basic guided tour of the planets in our solar system, but I found this extra quite hilarious because its a voice over by E.T. himself giving us the tour)

DISC 2:

E.T. 1982 Feature Film

English DTS 5.1 ES
English Dolby Digital 5.1 EX
Spanish Dolby Surround 2.0
French Dolby Surround 2.0

* Spotlight on Location: The Making of E.T. featurette. (30 mins)
* The Reunion: The cast and filmmakers reunite to discuss their thoughts on the impact of the film.
* Designs, Photographs and Marketing: View hundreds of production photographs, conceptual drawings and the original advertising.
* Trailers: E.T. theatrical trailer, Back to the Future Trilogy.
* Cast and Filmmakers.
* Production Notes.
* DVD-ROM: Features through Universal Studios Total Axess website.

Last edited by WildThing; 16-10-2002 at 02:43.
Old 16-10-2002, 02:53   #2
Guest 14323

Location: Knockhill Race Track @ 9,000rpm......The VTEC Zone \0/
Thanks for the info WildThing......even so, I`m glad I`ve went for the all-singing, all-dancing, super-duper edition.

Last edited by Toothy; 16-10-2002 at 02:53.
Old 16-10-2002, 02:55   #3
Guest 16880

excellent, will buy this one instead of the 3-disker, i can live without the extras sacrificed to fit the 1982 as i'm not a HUGE fan of this film but i enjoyed it.
Old 16-10-2002, 03:05   #4
Richie
Trusted User

If you have to have the extras docus but don't want to spend on the R1 Gift Set you could I guess get the (sure to be cheapest) R4 version as well - that's if the R4 specs don't change from whats already been reviewed: http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Reviews...?ReviewID=2105
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2002, 06:05   #5
Guest 16880

Acording to a msg posted by the reviewer of that there disk it doens't contain the 1982 version of the film on Disk 2.

So r1 2-disk it is for me.
Old 16-10-2002, 10:17   #6
utero
Trusted User

I've got the R4 for around a tenner and I've rather take the new edition with documentary over the old version
utero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2002, 11:18   #7
Guest 9571

Re: To clear up the E.T. R1 release confusion once and for all

Quote:
Originally posted by WildThing
I know I should have included this in an existing thread, but since a lot of people want answers about whats going on, does it or does it not include the 1982 cut, how are the extras affected etc, I thought it would be easier to post a new thread so people can find it easy.
Where did you buy it from? Which dealer?

Kal
Old 16-10-2002, 13:43   #8
Guest 1554

For a moment I had considered cancelling my order for the 3 disc set until I saw this picture of the set at DVD Empire :shocker:
Old 16-10-2002, 15:57   #9
Guest 19578

cool

now i'm definitly sticking with the ultimate gift set
Old 16-10-2002, 17:59   #10
Guest 3062

my Ultimate set shipped from DVDsoon today - from the pics it doesn't look too bad for £26
Old 16-10-2002, 20:38   #11
Guest 7094

GIFTSET! GIFTSET!
Old 16-10-2002, 21:26   #12
MarcusUK
Trusted User

I was seriously considering cancelling my order for the 3 disk set, but think I will stick with my order now. The set looks lush

XBL: iammarcoos
MarcusUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2002, 22:44   #13
Guest 5066

Quote:
Originally posted by rezabelady
my Ultimate set shipped from DVDsoon today - from the pics it doesn't look too bad for £26
Please let me know if the package is bilangual please!
Old 16-10-2002, 22:57   #14
JamesK
James-K

Oh yes I'm getting te 3-disc set!!!

also shipped today from DVD Soon!
JamesK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2002, 23:33   #15
Guest 1635

Surely it would have been simpler to use seamless branching to put the ET 2002 and 1982 releases on one disc, and leave the second disc entirely free for the extras. After all, it's not as if the two versions have that many differences between them, is there? :confused:
Old 16-10-2002, 23:52   #16
mjb1975
Blandiblub

yeah, I've been umming and ahhing about my ultimate set order from DeepDiscount - it's more money, but it looks great, and I dunno if I can be bothered to cancel it tbh!!

oh sod it, I'll treat myself....
Old 17-10-2002, 00:00   #17
gavinhanly
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally posted by Ben H
Surely it would have been simpler to use seamless branching to put the ET 2002 and 1982 releases on one disc, and leave the second disc entirely free for the extras. After all, it's not as if the two versions have that many differences between them, is there? :confused:
As far as I am aware there were quite a few minor changes here and there - tweaks, if you will - so "seamless" branching would prove a little tough.
gavinhanly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2002, 01:55   #18
kanedaa
XBL: kanedaa

Thanked 1,418 Times in 942 Posts
Universal have issued an official Press Release, you can read it on the www.dvdtimes.co.uk front page.

Hope you're okay with me using/crediting you Wildthing for the specs you posted, cos as you can no doubt see, the Universal PR is hardly 'detailed' so they came in handy

Last edited by kanedaa; 17-10-2002 at 01:56.
kanedaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2002, 08:42   #19
dunkrag
Captain Sanctimonious

I too have um'ed and ah'ed about getting this but after seeing the picture of the set and also finding out that the 2 disc version has dropped the 2 most important extras (for me anyway) I have now gone for the 4 disc version.

In a combined order with Spiderman LE, AOTC, LOTR SE, all for about £75 from DVDSoon. :rocker:

Now just have to find the cash for X-files S6. How many of us are going to be totally skint for the month of November?
dunkrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2002, 11:43   #20
Guest 5055

You fools! Nobody can clear up the confustion. This is all Universal's plan to distract the population and then TAKE OVER THE WORLD!

Seriously, is this Release the biggest farce in DVD history?