Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Notices

Old 30-03-2005, 08:03   #1
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Warners HTF Chat 2005

The Warners / HTF was held last night Here are the highlights provided by Robert Crawford. Mountains of great stuff to look forward to:

More John Garfield films are on their way, but not this year. Gable and Tracy boxsets on tab for 2006.
An uncut "Storm Warning" with Ronald Reagan on tabs for 2006. The 1976 version of "A Star is Born" coming later this year.
Warner still looking for elements for "The Magnificent Ambersons" and "Journey into Fear".
Some unannounced Allied Artists films are on the way.
The Thin Man boxset will have all six films plus a bonus disc.
RKO Tarzan films are on the radar without any dates.
A Pre-code boxset coming in 2006.
Another Warner Gangster boxset set for 2006. Also, some more theme boxsets.
The Ben Hur boxset will have a new transfer from newly restored 65mm elements. Also, the 1925 version of Ben Hur will be in the boxset along with new content.
"Kitty Foyle" is coming out in 2006. The 1931 and 1940 versions of "Waterloo Bridge" are in their release plans.
"The Outsiders" Extended Version is coming out this year. They are talking about releasing an anamorphic presentation of "Arthur".
In the next 12 months, 2 disc releases for the following:
  • Dog Day Afternoon
  • Network
  • All the President's Men
"Night Moves" and "Scarecrow" are on the release schedule.
They have special plans for "Performance".
Batman films on the way.
A "The Green Mile" SE in the works.
Yakuza scheduled for next year.
More Lon Chaney under consideration, but no firm date.
"Flamingo Road" with Joan Crawford in the works.
"Quick Change" coming out later this year.
Astaire/Rogers musicals coming out in two stages. Five films involved with each release, one in 2005 and another in 2006. They will be sold separately and in a boxset.
Regarding that missing ling of dialogue in "Bringing Up Baby" from Katharine Hepburn. Warner stated it was due to damage to the original negative and not censorship.
All nine Val Lewton films will be out later this year with special features and commentary.
The Naked Spur on tap for 2006 and also, "Petulia".
LA Confidential SE in the works.
Releasing all 48 Bowery Boys films in 2006. More than one boxset.
The film "Cruising" under consideration.
They have a date for "King Kong" but won't tell us.
Looney Tunes Volume 3 before Christmas.
Warner stated that the Batman television issue doesn't involve them, but Fox and DC Comics. In short, they're out of it.
Warner is looking at re-releasing the Superman films, but issues remain to be resolved.
SE of "2001" in 2006 along with other Kubrick SE.
No plans for Mortal Storm, The D.I. or SE of Cool Hand Luke.
A SE release of "The Wizard of OZ" this year.
Next year, a 2 disc SE of "Street Car Named Desire".
Baby Doll and Sweet Bird of Youth coming in 2006.
Home from the Hill and The Sundowners in the future.
No Billy Wilder films scheduled except "Spirit of St. Louis" in 2006. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any other Wilder titles that Warner owns that haven't been released yet.
A SE of "The Devil" in the works.
Night of the Iguana sceduled for next year.
No plans for Electric Dreams
Quo Vadis needs requires restoration work.
Northwest Passage under consideration for a future release.
The Peckinpah boxset now scheduled for 2006.
WHV doesn't know anything about why the Comedy Classic boxset is not available in Canada.
Jean Harlow boxset in 2006
Point Blank will have two featurettes, but unfortunately, the LionPower featurette won't be one due to music clearance issues. Also, there is two commentaries from Boorman and Soderbergh.
Julius Caesar and Mutiny on the Bounty with Brando and Ryan's Daughter on schedule for 2005/2006.
Anna Karenina part of the Garbo's 100 year birthday boxset this Fall.
Son of Kong and Mighty Joe Young coming, but no date.
2 disc Maltese Falcon SE in 2006
25th Anniversary Poltergeist SE planned.
Warner just confirmed that Mighty Joe Young and The Nun's Story will be out before Christmas.
No more Bogart films this year. Four major Bogart films are being restored from the original camera negative for release in 2006.
Esther Williams Signature boxset coming in the future.
More Hammer films on the way.
Looney Tunes will be one release per year due to labor intensive issues.
Popeye cartoon issues are still being worked out.
No further update on the Tom and Jerry edited cartoon issues.

'Live' transcript of the questions asked here. I'll post a link to the full transcript as soon as I have it.

Last edited by John Hodson; 31-01-2006 at 21:23.
John Hodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2005, 08:48   #2
Guest 25476
Person A Non Grata

Thanks for this John, I've just read the full transcript. It all seems terribly exciting doesn't it?

There is SO much good stuff in there I don't know where to start (maybe it would be easier if I set up a direct debit with Warners & cut out the middlemen).
Guest 25476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2005, 15:26   #3
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

The full transcript is here at the HTF or here at The Bits.

"This success of these releases has proven that the market IS there for classic films on DVD if they are presented with care & dedication."

Amen.

Last edited by John Hodson; 31-03-2005 at 10:19.
Old 30-03-2005, 15:33   #4
anephric
Kidney Thief

Cruising!
anephric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2005, 15:56   #5
Richie
Trusted User

I just read the transcript. This is excellent! All my most wanted titles are either actually in production, being considered or are slated for release! (the only sour note is the "no plans" for revisiting 'Fearless' but I'm hoping an eventual R2 release will fix the 4:3 issue!)
I also like their commitment to TV product (but that's for the tv forum)!
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2005, 15:59   #6
charlie angel
Trusted Schmoozer

In the next 12 months, 2 disc releases for the following:

Network

They had me at Network special edition.
charlie angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2005, 18:08   #7
Guest 1984
Banned

Location: a long long way from dot u k where mountains meet the sea
Thanks John.

I must admit I was hoping for something more concrete on my oft requested 'Performance' & 'The Devils' especially since it has previously taken years for special editions to materialise after they've first been announced.

Still, "special plans" for Performance does sound kinda' juicy.

kc
Guest 1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2005, 10:31   #8
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

I'm pretty stoked by plans for Garfield, Harlow, Astaire / Rogers, the 'Pre-Code' box, 'Thin Man', Waterloo Bridge, more Bogart (what's the betting that will contain an SE of The Big Sleep), Mighty Joe Young, The Nun's Story, those two disc SEs, and, well pretty much everything that's flagged as coming.

BTW, it might be useful, for those that haven't seen it recently (when their hard drive went down the HTF's copy was destroyed) to check out last year's Warners / HTF Chat transcript here; interesting to see what they promised us, what has come to pass and what is still yet to come...

Last edited by John Hodson; 31-03-2005 at 12:15.
Old 31-03-2005, 13:48   #9
Guest 29334
Filmmaker/A Big Film Fan

Looking forward to the next Gangster boxset. Had hours of joy with the first one
Guest 29334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2005, 15:55   #10
Guest 49780
Trusted User

Hi John! is Warner's releasing the Hammer horror collection or they will release the Hammer swashbucklers as well?
Guest 49780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2005, 16:08   #11
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Spasevski
Hi John! is Warner's releasing the Hammer horror collection or they will release the Hammer swashbucklers as well?
No word on titles Chris I'm afraid, although I'm struggling to think of what extant horror titles of Hammer's they have left unreleased that they have rights to?
Old 31-03-2005, 17:10   #12
Guest 20890
Trusted User

Scarecrow - Woo Hoo
Guest 20890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2005, 18:28   #13
Guest 48564
Trusted User

Hello gang. Long time lurker, first time poster here. I enjoyed reading the Warner-HTF chat transcript. Congratulations and thanks to Warner Home Video for all the classics they've released so far.

I thought I was the only one who was wishing for Scarecrow... glad to see I'm not alone, and Warner will be releasing it. Night Moves will be a blind buy for me, but I figure it's hard to go wrong with mid-70's Gene Hackman.

I'm really glad to hear there will be a pre-code box set next year. Warners owns dozens of great pre-code dramas that I know of; I hope this set will sell enough copies to warrent subsequent releases. Talkies or silents, I'll take all they've got!

The only thing I was disappointed with was the sketchy information about Bogart: no titles were named (except Maltese Falcon), and it looks like we won't see anything at all -- first time release or double-dip -- until 2006. And there was no mention of any Barbara Stanwyck titles. I'm grateful for the recently announced Bette Davis and Joan Crawford boxes (consider them bought, Warners) but for my money Barbara Stanwyck deserves equal treatment.

And please... more Noir!

Best wishes to all, especially those of you who operate the DVD Forums -- always a great read!
Guest 48564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2005, 21:18   #14
Guest 29
Last Of The Independents

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hodson
No word on titles Chris I'm afraid, although I'm struggling to think of what extant horror titles of Hammer's they have left unreleased that they have rights to?

Dracula AD 1972 and Crescendo, if memory serves.
Guest 29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2005, 21:29   #15
mr_woo
Gamertag: Al Benicio

Lots of wonderful films there to be released but I'm a bit disappointed that noone asked Warner about releasing the film Pedicab Driver as it's a film wanted by a lot of martial arts fans (including myself)

They just dont seem to be interested in releasing it which wouldnt be so bad if they'd at least sublicense it to someone else but they won't. Very annoying.

However great news about Night Moves at last
Old 01-04-2005, 00:05   #16
Guest 29
Last Of The Independents

Yup, excellent news about "Night Moves" and "The Yakuza".

Another Warner Hammer one might be "When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth", but I'm not entirely certain about that one.
Guest 29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 15:34   #17
Guest 44833
Trusted User

I'm very happy about "Night Moves" and "Thin Man," though I wish Warners had just gone with a box set in the first place. I remember someone asked MGM about it at a chat and they said--this was just after the Turner library went to Warners--that they would have loved to do a box set....

And Warner reps have said, in previous chats, they weren't going to do a box.

I wish they'd give the series some respect though. Academic commentaries, the whole bit.

Last edited by AndrewWickliffe; 01-04-2005 at 15:35.
Guest 44833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 22:33   #18
Guest 33812
Trusted User

Phew, there is some mouth-watering titles on the horizon and er, Falcon's Crest.
The ones that initially caught my eye are the 25th Anniversary Edition of Poltergeist (gawd that makes me feel old) and the 2 disc SE of Dog Day Afternoon (hooray!).
Kinda curious what they could do with a new SE of LA Confidential, the transfer is anamorphic on the current release IIRC and I don't remember it being too shabby. I still need convincing with that one. Extra footage of Miss Basinger could win me over tho.
Guest 33812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 10:54   #19
DeadWalk
Trusted User

Really looking forward to the RKO Tarzan films, The Thin Man collection, the Val Lewton collection (finally!!!!!) as well as Kong, Son of Kong and Mighty Joe Young. Well done Warners!!!

Was dissapointed to read that there aren't any plans for Electric Dreams - not a classic, I know, but enjoyable nonsense that brings back wonderful memories of my very early youth.
DeadWalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 11:31   #20
Guest 29334
Filmmaker/A Big Film Fan

I read (either in this transcript or last years one) that Warners are doing an Ulta restoration for The Searchers which they will bring out in a special edition in 2006. Is there any chance of them bringing out a 'Western' themed boxset like 'The Gangsters Collection' and 'Film Noir Classic Collection'?
Guest 29334 is offline   Reply With Quote