Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Music Discussion

Old 10-09-2020, 12:40   #1
GodBlessTheUSA
The Red, White And Blue!

New Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band album next month!

Letter to You, released Oct 23rd

https://youtu.be/AQyLEz0qy-g

http://backstreets.com/news.html

SPRINGSTEEN DELIVERS: NEW ALBUM IS OFFICIAL!
Recorded with the E Street Band, Letter to You arrives October 23
It's a red-letter day. A Shore Fire Media announcement has confirmed that a new Bruce Springsteen studio album, his 20th, is just around the corner: Letter to You is scheduled for October 23 from Columbia Records, on vinyl and CD.

Along with the sound of the single, this morning's press release differentiates the forthcoming album immediately from Western Stars, headlining Letter to You as a "rock album featuring the E Street Band" and later describing it as a "rock album fueled by the band's heart-stopping, house-rocking signature sound."

Springsteen co-produced the 12-track Letter to You with Ron Aniello, recording at Springsteen's home studio in New Jersey in late 2019 — meaning pre-quarantine, and the band did indeed record together as a unit, harkening back to sessions for The River and Born in the U.S.A. In fact, as Bruce tells it, this is the "livest" they've ever been in the studio:

"I love the sound of the E Street Band playing completely live in the studio, in a way we've never done before, and with no overdubs," Springsteen says. "We made the album in only five days, and it turned out to be one of the greatest recording experiences I’ve ever had."

For the five-day session, Springsteen reconvened Roy Bittan, Nils Lofgren, Patti Scialfa, Garry Tallent, Stevie Van Zandt, Max Weinberg, Charlie Giordano and Jake Clemons.

"I love the emotional nature of Letter to You,” says Springsteen. And while we don't know precisely the story it will tell, song titles suggest that the artist is taking stock and looking back over his 50-year career — especially given that three of the songs date back to its beginning. As the press release states, "Letter to You includes nine recently written Springsteen songs, as well as new recordings of three of his legendary, but previously unreleased, compositions from the 1970s, 'Janey Needs a Shooter,' 'If I Was the Priest,' and 'Song for Orphans.'"

1. One Minute You're Here
2. Letter to You
3. Burnin' Train
4. Janey Needs a Shooter
5. Last Man Standing
6. The Power of Prayer
7. House of a Thousand Guitars
8. Rainmaker
9. If I Was the Priest
10. Ghosts
11. Song for Orphans
12. I’ll See You in My Dreams

Letter to You was mixed by Bob Clearmountain and mastered by Bob Ludwig. The album's cover photo was taken in 2018 by Danny Clinch, at Central Park West and 72nd Street in NYC, near where Springsteen was staying during his Springsteen on Broadway run.

Last edited by GodBlessTheUSA; 10-09-2020 at 12:44.
GodBlessTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked 5 times by:
Bravoman (12-09-2020), Citysmith (12-09-2020), Nige (12-09-2020), no flipping (16-09-2020), Rob (18-09-2020)
Old 18-09-2020, 14:45   #2
Rob
Indie Author

The title track sounds a little underwhelming, but hopefully the album will be a good 'un.
Old 01-10-2020, 12:53   #3
Citysmith
Feed the Goat..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
The title track sounds a little underwhelming, but hopefully the album will be a good 'un.
That was my first impression‘Springsteen by numbers’ but it’s grown on me loads and I now feel it’s the best stuff he’s released in years. How your opinion holding up??
Old 01-10-2020, 21:21   #4
GodBlessTheUSA
The Red, White And Blue!

I like Letter to You a lot, but the new song ‘ghosts’ has been replayed by me a lot since it was released... I love it!
Old 11-10-2020, 14:30   #5
Rob
Indie Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citysmith View Post
That was my first impression‘Springsteen by numbers’ but it’s grown on me loads and I now feel it’s the best stuff he’s released in years. How your opinion holding up??
To be honest, I’ve not played it again. I’ll wait until the album is out and play the lot together.

Western Stars was the first Springsteen album I’ve not bought - after a few listens on Spotify, a couple of tracks aside, it just didn’t grab me. Hopefully the band sound of the new album will be more up my street.
Old 11-10-2020, 15:58   #6
Citysmith
Feed the Goat..

I didn’t get the whole Western Stars. The movie was great but the album left me cold. The new stuff however is great.
Old 26-10-2020, 18:25   #7
Thucydides
Senor Member

Really enjoying this one now - If I Was The Priest sounds amazing.
Thucydides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 18:44   #8
Rob
Indie Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thucydides View Post
Really enjoying this one now - If I Was The Priest sounds amazing.
Yes, that is a really good track. Apple TV is not something I’d pay for, but I got a years free sub with a new Mac so I was able to watch the documentary that was released with the album. Some stunning drone photography to go with the music.
Old 26-10-2020, 21:19   #9
Thucydides
Senor Member

I think there's a 7 day trial so will give it a go just for that. Really hope I get to see him live again at some point as this album would be fantastic in concert.
Thucydides is offline   Reply With Quote