Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Computing Forum

Old 24-08-2020, 12:18   #2981
kanedaa
XBL: kanedaa

Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,200 Posts
Tip for anyone doing a fresh install: Do not connect your ethernet or wi-fi if you want to complete setup using a local account.

If you connect to the internet it will force you to sign-in with a Microsoft Account (that includes making you create one if necessary). I couldn't find anyway to back out of it (even forcing a shutdown, then trying to continue the install, it just remembered my wifi details and skipped over that section). Clicking the 'Learn More' button it just told me if I want to use a local account I have to complete setup with a MS account and then create a local account later on!

This is with Win10 2004 (USB installation media made with the Media Creation Tool). It's been a while since I last did a completely fresh install so maybe it's been this way for a while, but they definitely used to have the option to make a local account.

I'm setting up a laptop to sell on so had to completely restart the install and by not connecting to my wifi it let me create a local account.
kanedaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked 2 times by:
Ricinus (24-08-2020), Shingster (24-08-2020)
Old 17-09-2020, 11:46   #2982
ascender
Trusted User

I noticed with the new version of Safari you start to get reports on how many trackers are trying to track/profile you on each website you visit. Is there something similar on Windows browsers now?

Very interesting reading!
ascender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2020, 11:51   #2983
mjr
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascender View Post
I noticed with the new version of Safari you start to get reports on how many trackers are trying to track/profile you on each website you visit. Is there something similar on Windows browsers now?

Very interesting reading!
There is in Firefox: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...irefox-desktop
mjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
ascender (17-09-2020)
Old 04-10-2020, 13:55   #2984
Ricinus
Trusted User

Looks like I'm heading for a clean reinstall.

I've been stuck on ver 1809 and delaying the update it has been trying to do for ages so I thought I'd take advatage of the wet weekend.

Win update says I'm up to date but nearing end of service. It then offers to update me to the next version (1903 or 9 can't remember), downloads it then starts the install. Eventually ends with an error message 0x80004005 which could be anything. Only warning in the logs file is about duplicate ownership of various folders.

I ran the update troubleshooter and advice about clearing old install folders and results were the same.

I ran the upgrade assistant and this loads the blue screen install, when I come back the desktop is there with a box saying win10 install failed with no other informtaion.

The same happens if I run the install from the downloaded .iso from within windows.

My heart runs cold having to reinstall all the software. What's good for finding out all the licence numbers of stuff installed?
Ricinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 13:58   #2985
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanedaa View Post
Tip for anyone doing a fresh install: Do not connect your ethernet or wi-fi if you want to complete setup using a local account.

If you connect to the internet it will force you to sign-in with a Microsoft Account (that includes making you create one if necessary). I couldn't find anyway to back out of it (even forcing a shutdown, then trying to continue the install, it just remembered my wifi details and skipped over that section). Clicking the 'Learn More' button it just told me if I want to use a local account I have to complete setup with a MS account and then create a local account later on!

This is with Win10 2004 (USB installation media made with the Media Creation Tool). It's been a while since I last did a completely fresh install so maybe it's been this way for a while, but they definitely used to have the option to make a local account.

I'm setting up a laptop to sell on so had to completely restart the install and by not connecting to my wifi it let me create a local account.
Can't remember off hand how you do it ( but it can be done - all our family Win 10 laptops only have local accounts ) but it is possible to add a local account post install.
AdamBrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 14:37   #2986
Chris Locke
Making a 1% improvement

Thanked 1,713 Times in 582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricinus View Post
Have you followed the guide here?
https://www.thewindowsclub.com/windo...ror-0x80004005

Have you run an 'SFC /scannow' scan?
Have you run a chkdsk?
There is also DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Before running down these recovery routes, ensure you've got a backup of your system (Macrium Reflect) 'just in case'.

As for licence keys, I believe there is a tool at Nirsoft.net
Chris Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
Ricinus (04-10-2020)
Old 04-10-2020, 14:48   #2987
scooobydont
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricinus View Post

I've been stuck on ver 1809 and delaying the update it has been trying to do for ages so I thought I'd take advatage of the wet weekend.

Win update says I'm up to date but nearing end of service. It then offers to update me to the next version (1903 or 9 can't remember), downloads it then starts the install. Eventually ends with an error message 0x80004005 which could be anything. Only warning in the logs file is about duplicate ownership of various folders.

I ran the update troubleshooter and advice about clearing old install folders and results were the same.

I ran the upgrade assistant and this loads the blue screen install, when I come back the desktop is there with a box saying win10 install failed with no other informtaion.

The same happens if I run the install from the downloaded .iso from within windows.

My heart runs cold having to reinstall all the software. What's good for finding out all the licence numbers of stuff installed?
We use this for getting keys:

https://www.belarc.com/products_belarc_advisor
scooobydont is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
Ricinus (04-10-2020)
Old 04-10-2020, 16:26   #2988
Ricinus
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Locke View Post
Have you followed the guide here?
https://www.thewindowsclub.com/windo...ror-0x80004005

Have you run an 'SFC /scannow' scan?
Have you run a chkdsk?
There is also DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
I'd done all these from other sources thanks. The only odd one is replacing the dpcdll.dll file. I don't have this file and I can't find it in any of the multiple images I've got right back to the original upgrade to win10.

I've run Driver Easy mentioned earlier in the thread. It says there are 12 outdated drivers. Mainly Chipset, PCIe, SATA controllers. All sound a bit eek! to update.

Well the sun has come out and the wet weekend is over.
Ricinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 19:18   #2989
Chris Locke
Making a 1% improvement

Thanked 1,713 Times in 582 Posts
> All sound a bit eek! to update.

Take a Macrium Reflect backup first, and you've nothing to lose. The error (in my Googling) would all indicate a knackered Windows Update folder/catalog.
Chris Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 07:08   #2990
LV426
Trusted User

I suspect the reason why it's almost impossible to work out what is stopping the natural upgrade process is that there are probably hundreds of potential causes. It's a pity MS aren't able (or willing) to be more explicit with their failure reporting to at least help narrow it down.

By way of example only (so - not offering a specific answer) in my case it was a previously installed - and later uninstalled - App (ArcSoft Total Media Theatre) which came with my BD drive. This app had left two driver files behind when it was uninstalled and it was these, plus their references in the Registry, that were killing the update and/or making the machine unstable (BSODs randomly). Manual deletion of the two drivers and removal of their entries with RegEdit cured it.
LV426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
driver8 (05-10-2020)